Format: DVD|Change

I bought this primarily for the 3D version although I am a fan of Dr. Who as well.
First the Doctor, I am old school Dr. Who harking back to William Hartnell and Patrick Troughton in the sixties.
I have been a little disappointed by recent Who shows with young dynamic Dr's that can win every situation with a flick of their
sonic screwdrivers.
However this episode was exceptional, worthy of the anniversary edition, decent story, plenty of good humour and some great performances. I am excited by the prospect of Peter Capaldi coming next.
Then there is the matter of the 3D version.
Outstanding, this is amongst the very best 3D discs I now own, top quality from a top quality producer, the BBC.
If you are like me both a Dr. Who fan and a lover of 3D, then you must buy this, you'll watch it over and over again.
on 29 November 2013
Very rarely in life when something is hyped up so much for such a lengthy period of time can it actually deliver, in fact it's more likely the case that the lower your expectations the more chance you are going to be pleasantly surprised. Given the diverse history of Doctor Who, the plethora of script writers, the myriad of different characters who played the role (often poles apart) whoever was going to be given the task of writing the 50th Anniversary Special was on a hiding to nothing. So hats off to Mr Moffat on a truly stupendous roller coaster ride of an episode in the life of the most brilliant sci-fi series ever to grace this planet. It's not without it's faults & it was never going to please everybody but I for one was delighted to have some of the gaps filled in with the mini prequel showing Paul McGann's regeneration (included in this set) & John Hurt's regeneration in the show itself. The best kept secret of the surprise cameo appearances of the 13th Doctor & Tom Baker at the end was a stroke of genius. Yes, it would have been great to see Christopher Eccleston reprise his role but he has always made it abundantly clear he was never a fan of Doctor Who, this was an acting job he did with great relish eight years ago & he politely declined to take any part in a celebration of a show he never watched as a child. My other regret is this wasn't given the full movie treatment & a timing to match. I truly believe it would of benefited greatly if it was closer to a two hour affair as the plot did seem rushed at points & certain characters would have benefited for having their roles fleshed out. There, I hope I have managed to lower your expectations just a little if you haven't already seen it so you can enjoy it for what it is ... a love letter from a fan to Doctor who. Here's to the next 50 years.
55 comments| 82 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 4 December 2013
I absolutely loved THE DAY OF THE DOCTOR and was looking forward to owning it on blu ray. Watched it tonight and it appears the quality control folks were off having a tea break when the audio for this was being put together. It sounds fine via a 5.1 surround set up, but appalling via television stereo speakers. The best way I can describe it is that the music takes on a tinny, warbly effect that is very distracting. There's definitely a problem here that needs to be addressed. I've read of the same complaints reported elsewhere so hopefully people will let the BBC know and something will be done to get this issue sorted and replacement discs issued.
3939 comments| 31 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 6 December 2013
After the chore of season 6 - with the gradual redemption in season 7, This is Stephen Moffat back on form. I loved how he took various criticisms of the Doctor's sometimes puerile behaviour and weaved it with humour into the show. 'The man who regrets and the man who forgets' summed it up greatly. And standing up against the deservedly well-loved portrayal of David Tennant's Doctor and John Hurt's solid and stalwart acting credentials - hats off to Matt Smith in this 50th anniversary. I now realise in compare and comparison, he really has made the Doctor his own. Therefore in some ways now. it's such a shame he's going just when he's put a stamp on it. As for the Blu-Ray 3D. Some scenes work well in 3D. Other's just appear quite 2D. But that's the curse of setting and circumstance I suppose? And considering all the 50th anniversary spin offs from Blue Peter to a Peter Davidson documentary, such a celebration was deserved of a bumper Extra-Extra's edition with this disc. But alas we don't even get a commentary. Just trailers, a quick behind the scenes and Doctor Who explained for an American audience. That said - this Tv movie feel of Dr Who is an instant classic.
on 25 November 2013
Steven Moffat had to write an episode which was to be broadcast simultaneously in 94 countries over six continents, on TV and in cinemas. It had to appeal to everybody - adults, children, casual viewers, diehard fans, people who have been watching the show since its 2005 reboot and people who have been watching since its 1963 creation. He really did succeed. It is an extremely well written script - clever enough for the children, simple enough for the adults as old Douglas Adams apparently used to say. Humour, emotion, excitement, action and everything in between. And this does celebrate 50 years of Doctor Who as well!

If you're watching in 3D you're in for a treat. The use of 3D in this feature length story is truly incredible and Nick Hurran is a really good director. The production values look high and the visuals are fantastic including some exciting stunts and explosions. The music here was also of a good volume - often in Doctor Who it's way too loud, but here, the dialogue was easily audible.

The actors also do a great job - you've got John Hurt, Matt Smith, David Tennant and Billie Piper in the spotlight as well as some very capable supporting actors. The only notable absence is Christopher Eccleston. Although he has absolutely no reason to come back in the sense that it was just an acting job he happened to do nine years ago, he was my favourite Doctor and he would have added to the show, even if just in one scene. BUT in a way it was a blessing; unlike Russell T Davies' finales and specials, which tended to be crammed to the brim with as many cameos and inclusions as he could possibly manage, Steven Moffat's episode here basically has for the majority of the time only two monsters, three doctors and a few other characters. A good thing, too - how would he have decided who to put in, when he has 50 years to choose from? Yeah, there are nods to the past, but this is a new story, one which doesn't require 1000 familiar faces. And it's great that he managed not to turn it into a complete fanfest.

Overall a really good episode which can be enjoyed by people of many different ages.
on 16 August 2015
The ultimate question that rests upon the mind of Who fans everywhere (and everywhen) - what happened to, and at, Gallifrey back in the era of the Time War - is answered in the most divine, sublime, heartbreakingly beautiful and brilliant way possible in this, the most extraordinary and watchable episode of DOCTOR WHO ever made.

It starts out with a bit of James Bond-esque parody and fun, with the TARDIS being innocently picked up by helicopter and returned to UNIT HQ - but with Clara and the Doctor still inside. From there, a note from Queen Elizabeth THE FIRST is hand delivered to the world’s favourite time travelling super hero, and then the action simply never lets up.

The episode is brilliantly structured and plotted on several different levels. Earth is under attack from shape shifting aliens in their own truly brilliant way and its only the Doctors with a little inspirational help (from Mega Babe Clara Oswald) who can come up with the perfect solution to beat them at their own game. But the story is not just about an alien invasion.

The overall solution to it all is so overwhelming and satisfying, that at program’s end, you don't know if you should laugh, cry, stand up and applaud your television set or even send love letters to the British Prime Minister for creating the BBC in the first place. I suggest that you calm down, and watch the whole thing again. That is what I did.

As an epilogue to the episode, there is a cameo from a famous Doctor from the past (or is that the future?), but this is more than a mere cameo. It is the icing on the cake, but even that phrase fails to do its effect on the viewer justice.

The role and performance of John Hurt as the man who started it all, in his attempt to thwart those dastardly Daleks back during the Time War, sets the story telling bar so high that you may need your own oxygen supply just to keep track of it. Doctors Ten and Eleven work so well together, that you may think they have always worked that way. And even standard, everyday Whovian technology such as the humble sonic screwdriver is given its own flash of genius by the scriptwriters in one of the show’s pivotal points.

Doctor Who has always been about fun mixed with science mixed with fiction, but this episode is at times laugh out loud funny. Emotion overall plays a strong role, too; at various points you may find yourself gripping your armchair in awe as massively significant historical facts are revealed which leaves the viewer with goosebumps on their goosebumps. And when Clara has tears of disappointment running down her cheeks near the show’s end, it is hard to keep your own face dry from the same sentiments.

THE DAY OF THE DOCTOR is so good that it is ridiculous. As i have said at the top of my review, it answers the ultimate Whovian question in typically brilliant style, but leaves the viewer wanting (and getting) more.

Never have I loved television so much as I do right now. The BBC rules my world!!!
on 18 October 2014
I bought this because I like 3D as well as Doctor Who; have been a fan of the series since I was about 5 or 6 years old; and I missed seeing this in the cinema.

I didn't want to pay full price for this so I waited until it was about half that.

My hunch paid off. Okay I got the programme, in 3D, but that is all I got. No frills whatsoever.

The menu system is less than basic and it took a while to work out how to turn off the Audio sub text. It took a few minutes and several restarts but I eventually got the disc to play.

That's about all I can say about it really. There's nothing else. No extras. Not even those on BB3, if there were any. Just someone's copy from a Tivo basically, if it weren't for the fact it was in 3D.

If you bought it at £16, I pity you. I bought it at £6. So I'm happy because for what I got that is the most that I would expect to pay.

4 stars simply because I liked that episode of Doctor Who.
on 10 January 2015
I just relatively recently started watching Dr WHO. This is one of my favourites, watched a few times. One of very few things me and my partner can watch together :)
If You like Dr WHO -I recommend.
But If You want to watch it to make up Your mind about it and have not really been watching series before- this might not be the best ones to start with. I imagine someone who hasn't at least seen series with David Tennant and Matt Smith (if not the whole 50yrs history) might be lost here.
It will make sense if You watch series 2 - 7 first. Maybe throw 8 in here as well while You're on it ;)
I've seen them all thanks to amazon prime video streaming- Thank You amazon :)
on 5 January 2016
I have watched Dr who since kid copy classic series formula and put more than one Dr in episode great episode good purchase mam love to as a fan my favorite bit when all drs together 1 to 13 appear nice see Paul magan back better than chorister eckelston it menu voice negation for deaf people
on 11 October 2015
This an amazing episode just over an hour long. I do not normally like dvd's of things like this but great story and genuinely good throughout. Different stories that are actually all linked. Amazing effects and the implications of the outcome are potentially massive. Dr Who at its best, or should that be Dr Who's!