Format: DVDChange

on 22 April 2014
This animated film is really stunning,especially in the way it was researched in order to get the planes right in every way, but with a real sense of fun thrown in for good measure. The characters' voices real suit their characters and Disney has really captured the feeling of excitement with this film. I personally think that this film is suited to everyone including toddlers.
on 2 December 2014
My son loves this film.
When I first watched it, I thought it was an attempt to copy Disney's Cars, but I didn't think it was as good.
However my 2.5 year old son is mad about this film. He loves all the characters, the flying, and the songs.
After watching it with him a few times, I love it too!
My 6 year old daughter loves it too! 5 stars from us!
Planes didn't sound amazing when I first heard of it (everyone suggested it was merely a clone of "Cars") and they were pretty close to the mark. Problem was Cars wasn't bad, but it was far from the best Pixar had offered up animation wise (in fact most feel it's one of their weaker products esp with Toy Story standing out as one of their best)

Despite the fact Pixar is now owned by Disney, this production is made by "DisneyToon Studios" which is a different group of people.
Story wise it's very predictable (and honestly not as good as Cars) it just feels like a lower level re-run of that production. The animation is reasonably decent, though it doesn't have the polish and shine one would expect from a Pixar production. Honestly the humour and fun isn't really here either (it's not really funny, bar a few moments)

Cast wise, a bit of a mixed bag I'm not crazy about Dane Cook (Dusty Crophopper) though there are a few well known people such as Teri Hatcher (Dottie), Val Kilmer (Bravo) but Danny Mann (Sparky) is an experienced voice over actor and he's done voices for many animations. Not quite the top tier voice acting I'd have hoped for, and it's hard to attach to many of the characters in the film (not really much variation in appearance unlike Cars) The biggest issue is you've just seen it all before, and in stronger films so this will probably not go down well with adult film viewers (I got bored quite quickly)

It's an ok way to kill and hour and a half and kids aged 5-8 will probably like it. Older ones might find it a bit thin and nowhere near as funny as one would have hoped. My Son watched it and thought it was "ok" but no more than that. I'm going on his rating here hence the 3 stars. Worth a look if you are desperate for more animation films to add to your collection, but there are many more that should be far higher up your buy list.
on 3 March 2014
Story line is very much like cars. Was a little disappointed in the lack of original story. However my 3 year old twin boys did not notice. They love aeroplanes so to see a Disney film with them in made 2 little boys very happy. We have since been persuaded to buy toys from the range
on 6 September 2014
Bought for my 4 year old son who didn't know what it was about He absolutely loved it, as did my 6 year old daughter. We now have two budding pilots as a result of this film....oh, I loved it too! Very funny and my son said it reminded him of Cars...I thought that this was better.
on 15 April 2014
Don't bother reading the reviews on this movie, as they weren't very good. Our theory is that getting a toddler to sit in a cinema is a difficult one. But play the movie at home and it's a different story. Our son loves Cars, and he loved this even more. The graphics are better than Cars (as you would expect as technology moves on). The storyline is wonderfully heart-warming and it's amazing how much of the friendship and triumph over adversity messages a 2 year old can understand. Dusty is a really cute character, along with his friends. The bonus film is great for parents too, with the creators explaining why they made the movie, and love of planes. Plus each character (El Chupacabra and Ishani in particular) videos are cute. Although I am sure all designed to extract more money out of parents as spin-off films might be in the pipeline.
on 8 November 2013
I have been to see this 3 times at the cinema with my 5 yr old she loves it so much. She even did a very exciting "show and tell" on it the parents of her classmates tell me as they persuaded their parents take them. Not as many adult jokes as in some Disney films but enough. Bulldog saying "I don't cry I'm British" had everyone in the cinema laughing. She is desperately awaiting DVD release.
0Comment17 of 21 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 21 November 2014
I would give this a 2.5 star if it would let me. Didnt hold my daughters attention or myself for that matter. We enjoyed watching cars together but this was pretty much the same story line but with planes, so we were basically watching a film we fwlt we had already seen.
on 15 January 2014
The story is a typical underdog story with a lowly crop duster entering a 'round the world' race against premium racers. It's all very similar to the cars films without such a variety or depth to the characters. They are well voiced with some good comic turns. There's no need for a spoiler alert as the plot and ending is very predictable.

It's not the most enjoyable animated film for an adult but then I don't expect to be the target audience.My 2 year old is Cars and Cars2 crazy. If I'm honest this was a purchase to provide my wife and I with a little variety from the Cars franchise.

In short, it's worth a viewing and a very good film for a little boy. It maintains enough interest to keep my boy amused for most of the film. (and gives me and Mum a little peace for a while).
on 6 March 2015
This is a good DVD: a spin off from Cars, which unusually works - it is not just a revamp of the original story with wings. The story line is sound and enjoyable by children and adults alike (listen out from John Clees as a very English aeroplane). Enjoy.