Format: Blu-rayChange

on 19 November 2013
With Christmas looming,you know there is going to be a new Top Gear DVD on offer,this time fronted by Jeremy and Richard,it serves up all the staples you would want and expect.A precession of exotic cars,Lamborghini,Ferrari,Bugatti,Pagani and Jaguar all get a look in,as,in typical loutish behaviour,the very gruesome twosome,set off on a road trip from Venice,across Italy and into France.Along the way serving up some insane challenges,and deranged races,not to mention some truly stunning scenery.

However there is a problem,at least with the DVD (cant comment on the Blu Ray as I didnt buy that version)the sound quality isnt that good.Its got a hollow,echoy quality to it,from start to finish.I tried it on several players,I normally watch things with the aid of a sound bar,I even turned that off and went back to the TVs speakers,but it didnt improve the quality.It doesnt spoil your enjoyment of the programme,but its a bit much that it was passed for release with such an obvious defect.Perhaps there was a slightly faulty batch,and I just happened to buy one,I intend to return it and get a replacement.I will post the results in the comments section when I do.
44 comments30 of 36 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
Another Christmas, another exclusive Top Gear DVD to coincide with the Yuletide Season. After Apocalypse, At The Movies and The Worst Car in the History of the World, this year we have none other than Jeremy Clarkson and Richard Hammond hosting `The Perfect Road Trip'.

First, I must question the TITLE of this 2013 home video release. `The Perfect Road Trip?' We've ALREADY had that on Top Gear before! Everyone remember 2007's Great Adventure where the lads embarked on their unforgettable road trip across the US? Of course we do! It's unforgettable!

Anyway, the premise this time is that Jezza and Hamster are researching the best forms of transport for separate legs of their road trip from Venice, Italy to Pau, France. Immediately, the DVD scores points for its flashy showcase of cars, bikes & boats (old favourites the Bentley V8, Rolls Royce Phantom coupe and the almighty Bugatti Veyron return here), welcome appearances from the Stig, interactions between Jeremy & Richard, and the breathtaking photography/camerawork of all the stunning places they visit.

But sadly, the whole DVD is a letdown, especially after last year's BRILLIANT `The Worst Car in the History of the World'. The idea alone behind `The Perfect Road Trip' is somewhat lacking when compared to (say) `Apocalypse' and `At The Movies', and despite some mildly amusing banter/antics from Clarkson & Hammond here-and-there, too much of it feels forced. Like they're really struggling to entertain fans this time.

At eighty-five minutes, The Perfect Road Trip is also far too long for what it is. There's no special-features to speak of (on this DVD), and the absence of a third Top Gear presenter (this year it's James May, who's busy with Oz Clarke for the upcoming Toy Stories special) is a trend that continues to haunt these home-release exclusives. Until we have ALL THREE of the lads together presenting one of these Christmas-time DVDs, they'll never really be perfect (in my view).

Compared to regular Top Gear, `The Perfect Road Trip' feels like filler. Something to satiate fans until the show comes back for the next series. This year's DVD also feels inferior to previous exclusives (Apocalypse, At The Movies and The Worst Car in the History of the World) and that's disappointing. Other Top Gear fans may struggle to like this. Has some good moments, but nowhere near as much as there should be. For completists only.
on 12 January 2014
Buying an item for my nephew is always a terrible worry but I can honestly say that this DVD made me the best auntie in the world in my nephew's eyes. Well done Amazon and well done Top Gear it was a great pleasure doing business with you. Thanks Maria or as my nephew would say Wicked Auntie Maria.
on 16 September 2014
I really loved this. It's just typical Top Gear (indeed, better than the TV show really) - with more emphasis on the cars themselves. Lots of great camera-work and some good laughs along the way.

If you like Top Gear you'll love this. The Blu Ray is stunning as well. Great picture.
on 21 December 2013
We ordered this product and it came in the time span it said it would and was well wrapped up and delivered in a good condition, as well as being good quality and good value for your money and as described on the product description. I would use this Amazon seller again and recommend them.
on 30 December 2013
we purchased this because my son is a great fan of top gear and spends many hours recording then re watching top gear he gets tremendous enjoyment from the antics of the top gear team this dvd has been brilliant and we recommend it to any top gear fans
on 22 November 2013
I was really looking forward to this dvd. I am a huge fan of the show, love the guys and always enjoy the challenges and races and trips they do. However this one left me a little bored to be honest. It was very samey over and over again just in different cars. The best bit of the whole thing is the race to st. Tropez. I'm not sure if James not being in it was the issue or not but all I know is that every other episode or dvd I cam watch again and again and this one I want to never see again. Defnitely worth a watch once if only for the race part but the rest is very disappointing.
22 comments25 of 34 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 16 January 2015
This DVD was a Christmas gift for my two grandsons, who having been well enthused with the current volume of the same kind of Top Gear antics, were insistent on Father Christmas bringing them this earlier volume. Need I say more - they love it!
on 6 January 2014
My husband loves Top Gear and has every 'special' they have ever done. This is a fun ride across Italy & France in some amazing cars but it's not the well thought out and exciting road trip like classics Vietnam, Bolivia and Africa.
on 27 December 2013
This is not one of the best from Top Gear, personally I found it rather boring not as funny as previous challenges and definitely not the same without captain slow.