Shop now Shop now Shop Clothing clo_fly_aw15_NA_shoes Shop All Shop All Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop Fire TV Shop now Shop Fire HD 6 Shop Kindle Paperwhite Shop now Shop Now Shop now

Borgen: Series 3 [DVD]
Format: DVDChange
Price:£17.00+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

SKIP THIS REVIEW IF YOU HAVE NOT YET WATCHED SERIES 2

2 ½ years have passed since Birgitte Nyborg (Sidse Babett Knudsen) called an election in episode 20 of series 2. And we meet a very different woman - she has left politics and is now a well-paid keynote speaker as well as a board member of a number of businesses.

Katrine Fønsmark (Birgitte Hjort Sørensen) is still a reporter and currently TV1's most popular presenter. She and Kasper Juul (Pilou Asbæk) have a little boy, Gustav. Kasper owns a communications agency and co-presents "Juul and Friis" on TV1 where he and TV1's political editor Torben Friis (Søren Malling) analyse and comment on the political situation in Denmark.

Although Birgitte has a good life, she can't help but miss politics and she still feels that she has something to give in that respect, so soon she starts working on getting back in - her way - and with some surprising helpers along the way.

This 3rd series is definitely my favourite and I thought it would be difficult to beat the second one! But there are so many sides to the story and so many interesting characters that the 10 episodes fly by and I was left with a sense of loss after the last episode - but also satisfied as I felt that once again the acting, storytelling, facts and fiction all blended in together beautifully and I guess sometimes you have to stop on a high, which I felt they did. I watched this online on DR's website, so I cannot comment on the DVD extras, but the series alone is well worth buying!
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 30 December 2014
I have watched the two previous series and for me they were outstanding even better than the English 'House of Cards' trilogy, which was excellent ( I have not watched the American Version). It was therefore with much anticipation that i looked forward to the final chapter of this very well produced Danish TV Series.

Yes, i liked it but have that nagging feeling i will not remember 'Borgen' as a series in the long term as Season 3 i felt was made
to capitalize on the first two seasons and in this i think they failed. I found the first half of Season 3 to lack bite, i missed Kasper Juul and Bent as main players and while i thought that Birgitte's English boyfriend was a good introduction, some of the characters in the newly formed 'New Democrats' lacked credibility and were weak performances. The series did come to life in the second half and become as good as the first two series but the ending could have been handled more expertly and not so predictably.

The series as a whole was totally entertaining and superbly produced but making Season 3 has made it only a 4 star series, it
should have ended after Season 2 but don't let me put you off seeing Season 3, it has it's moments.
on 31 December 2013
The third and final series of 'Borgen' brings to an end three years of high quality Scandinavian drama, headed by Sidse Babett Knudsen as Birgitte Nyborg, the Danish Primer Minister defeated in the polls (between season 2 and 3). Now, after a time, disillusioned by the direction her party is taking, forms a new party of her own to combat the established ones. She is also distracted by a life-threatening illness which affects her judgement in key issues.

This final series, as good as it is, is not up to the high level set by the first two seasons for a few reasons. I think we enjoyed seeing Birgitte as Prime Minister, solving international problems, rather than starting afresh. The reduction in roles for Birgitte's former spin doctor Kasper Juul and her friend Bent left some gaps. Kasper should have had a much bigger part in this story. Katrine Fonsmark ably is promoted to the Kaspar role; the former TV1 presenter, playerd by Birgitte Hjort Sorensen is excellent. Soren Malling has a greater role also as the tv news editor, competing with the new manager on policy and a fellow employee whom he is having an affair.

It would have been good if the Blu-Ray had included some sort of documentary about the making of the series, or an interview with the stars. Just putting the ten episodes with no extras is not really enough nowadays. For this reason, I only give it four stars, though in all, it is a five star series.

All in all, a highly memorable series, which I shall look forward to returning to.

Lastly, can anyone explain why the Blu-Ray version of this costs £7 less than the DVD one?
on 2 June 2014
It seems to me to be a Danish version of the unforgettable American series "The West Wing."
Nothing will compare to the American program or the saintly President Jed Bartlett. However, Sidse Babett Knudsen plays a not-very-flawed Danish Prime Minister who rises from lowly beginnings. This series brings a European (EEC) flavour to the screen and continues our current love affair with Scandinavian TV programs. The necessary sub-titles do not detract from the viewing experience.
The incidents are taken from real-life situations. Danish politics seems to be a lot more civilized than the American, British or Australian variety. If this is true I think Denmark would be a comfortable place to live despite the fact that it is a minor European nation. I believe some people found Series 3 to be below par. I thought them all eminently watchable. I agree that three series were sufficient. If you like behind-the-scenes political shenanigans with sensible situations but without the cut-throat attitudes then this series is for you.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 28 September 2013
This is the third and final set of episodes featuring the Prime Minister that we wish we had ourselves, Birgitte Nyborg, played by the wonderful Sidse Babett Knudsen. When we last saw Birgitte, she called an election. Where we find her now is two and a half years later and there have been numerous changes at Christiansborg Palace, particularly with a new leader for the Moderate Party.
Most of the familiar faces from series 1 and 2 are back along with some new faces. Popular Michael Birkkjær returns as Philip Christensen along with Pilou Asbæk as political analyst Kasper Juul in a lesser role than previously. Søren Malling is back as Torben Friis at TV1 but with a new boss. Fans of The Killing will be delighted to see Marie Askehave and Lars Mikkelsen (Rie and Troels from series 1) pop up during the series, and even on screen together!
But the start of the show has moved on from the election and is setting on a new project with the help of Katrine Fønsgard (Birgitte Hjort Sørensen). We also meet a new cast member - a UK actor who shares his scenes with Sidse. Don't expect much Danish to be heard in their scenes together.
The series was screened in Denmark on DR1 (equivalent of BBC1) from New Year's Day 2013 and then most Sundays at 8pm beating all other programmes in ratings on most weeks. Only when Denmark had an important handball game on the other side happening simultaneously to Borgen's screening did Borgen lose ground. This then caused DR to delay the screening of the next episode by a week as handball was now in Borgen's slot on DR1.
For anyone who enjoys something other than the usual UK/US material, Borgen is a joy to watch. As Sidse herself said in a recent interview, shows from Denmark can be considered as "exotic" as they are a change from the norm. If you're familiar with other DR series such as The Killing and The Bridge and Sweden's Arne Dahl, Wallander etc, you'll know that the Scandinavians are excellent at their attention to character detail, something which Borgen excels at.
Enjoy!
If you're going to miss Borgen and want a Danish replacement, why not try period drama Krøniken Complete Series (Better Times) Official Danish release with English subtitles which is a 22 hour long epic drama spanning the late 1940s until the early 1970s revolving around the wealthy Neilsen family and their acquaintances. With lots of familiar faces from popping up having had minor and main roles in The Killing and Borgen, Krøniken is an absolute treat! Or you may like to have a watch of Sidse's first ever film Let's Get Lost or Birgitte Hjort Sørensen's recent Marie Kroyer (Marie Krøyer) (2012) (Import) and Julie - en kamp om kærlighed.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
Coming back to Borgen after a year's lapse, I was so looking forward to it. As the Series 3 started, I was let down a bit. Episode one was exciting as we were introduced to Birgitte Nybirg as a woman on the move, sort of a roving CEO, making lots of money giving speeches, living in luxurious spaces. Then, we got to episode two, and what was Nyborg going to do. We meet all of the characters again, and are introduced to new ones. Husband number one is gone forever, but they are good friends. What I found that was with the parents who were separated or divorced,mthe child care was pretty much split. Good for Denmark!

We find out at the beginning that two and a half years have lapsed. The children look older, but not the main characters. Katrine Fonsmark, who plays Hjort Sorenson is a TV news anchor, seems to like it, but with her child now becoming a toddler, she may change horses in mid stream. Nyborg is drawn back into politics, she just can't stand what is happening to her country. However, no party really wants her, so she starts her own. Here is where we meet the rest if the characters, and the ten episodes are well drawn together with exciting and informative situations. The characters who had dropped out of the series because of divorce or ill-health, are welcomed back. Everything is different and yet it seems the same.

Nyborg has a boyfriend from the UK, played by Alastair Mackenzie, and she speaks English only, when she is with him. Excellent English, by the way, with only a trace of an accent. Each episode as I said introduces a new situation, ill health, new elections, lovers come and gone, but always they revolve around politics!

This was a great season, it provided everything I needed for a finish. Kudos.

Recommended. prisrob 03-07-14
on 20 April 2014
A satisfying and happy end to three series depicting the political ups and downs of a political party in Denmark.

I would just add my name to the many who have extolled the virtues of this offering from Scandinavia. I have to confess that, even after avidly following the ins and outs of the plotting and the plot, i am still little wiser as to the system. Never mind, it has been an excuse for much enjoyment - of the actors and the production, in particular its star, always totally believable and interesting - and, unusually, making a politician always totally beautiful and desirable!
on 27 March 2014
Another excellent but final season of Borgen. I enjoyed the storyline with new characters, the pressure of working in TV1, the formation of a new political party and all that it involved. However I did miss the interaction between Birgitte and Kasper in the PM's office and I preferred Katrine as a journalist and TV anchor. Adam Price did say it was going to be different! I am now in the middle of season 2 again before I decide whether to buy the box set of The Killing.
on 5 April 2014
My son and I got hooked on this and watched it over a week (2 series). The main woman is fabulous and you get sucked into her life. It is very political, which might put people off, but the human interest stories give it an emotional pull that will have you sitting on the edge of your seat (and occasionally crying). All the acting is superb, and the Danish is also quite interesting to hear, as every now and then they use an English phrase which makes you smile.
on 16 January 2014
Arrived quickly - I couldnt wait to get my hands on this at Xmas. Superb acting, engaging plots, fabulous direction and photography - and my goodness, what stunning English has out Staasminister...Gutted that this is the final series. Have been watching the wondeful Unit One to help me with the withdrawal systems....highly recommended...though be warned, you may want to ship up shop and live in Denmark ..... sublime