on 10 March 2014
I decided on this particular printer as friends also have Canons and they produce some excellent results. This model does too especially on the 7 Day Shop 270gm glossy paper that would not go through my previous HP printer. Where it falls down is on it's WiFi capability. It established contact with my router easily enough and appeared to print solidly enough. Every now and again though it will print about a third of a sheet (photographs) and then eject the paper. It then takes some time to reset and start over, sometimes with the same result. I have been around computers and printers for many years but have been unable to get to the bottom of this problem. Eventually I reloaded the driver using a USB connection and all has been well. But if I have paid for WiFi then I should be getting WiFi.

A second niggle is that the scanner is not of a very high resolution. It does produce good results but if I wanted to scan a small area of a picture at high res, then I would be in difficulty.

Ink consumption is on the high side and there are 6 separate cartridges altogether. I am tempted to try some compatibles as a set of genuine Canon come out at £60. Not funny.

This is beginning to sound as though I'm unhappy with the machine but this is far from the truth. It is an excellent printer with quite a large footprint. I have had no jams or any other mechanical trouble but would like to get the WiFi problem sorted out.
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 13 January 2014
We have gone through a number of HP printers but they don't ever seem to last long, so this time we went for a Canon - the Canon MG7150, to be precise.

In a word - fantastic.

The print quality, especially for photos, is as good as Boots. The 6 different ink cartridges mean that you are only paying for the ink you use - you do not have to replace multi-colours as soon as one colour runs out. But what is really special about this model is that is includes a GREY ink cartridge - which greatly includes fidelity in both colour and grey scale (cheaper printers mix grey from colours, which does not work well).

Wireless printing is unusually versatile - you can print not only from a desktop PC, or from laptop PC, but also from Mac devices, and from smartphones and tablets such as iPhone and iPad, using the free app or free driver software available from the Canon website or appstore. There is also a bunch of photo software add ons - I find these pretty useless, as it is only the printing that really matters.

There are two paper trays, so you can have a tray for A4 paper and a tray for 6 x 4 inch photo paper (for example). There is also the facility to print CD/DVD/Blu ray labels.

Scanning and photocopying either in colour or black and white is very high resolution. Copying (both in colour and black and white) is just by pressing a single button on the printer, just like a high-end photocopier. There is no document feed, so you have to put one page in at a time for copying.

The controls are all run from a good sized, clear, very intuitive back lit touch screen on the front - this means you can see what you are doing even in low light, e.g. if you have the printer in a dark corner or under a desk. You don't have any buttons to press.

There are slots for camera memory cards in various sizes, so you can print photographs without a computer.

The whole unit is not small, but looks very sleek and professional. For the price, you are getting what really matters - efficient and high quality printing with Canon reliability.

Highly recommended.
on 23 October 2013
Every printer I have ever owned has been an Epson. I have used HP in the office but these were never good enough for my home photo printing requirements. SO when my last epson photo printer ceased working, my natural reaction was to go look at Epson printers.

The reviews were a mixed bag and as my last one had ceased it's life after 4 years, I thought I would look at another brand. For many years I have used Canon cameras and the recent 700d has proved to be an amazing piece of kit. SO I thought I would look at this printer. I was a bit put off by the review and so looked at the reviews of the other printers which seemed on the whole better than any other manufacturer. So I thought I would give it a try.

I took delivery 3 days ago, got it up and running on the BT hub in no time (but had to undertake a hub reboot to get the thing working properly) and have to say I am impressed! The features are much richer than my older Epson and it is quieter. It is sleek and I now have printing options on my Ipad and android phone. Text quality printing is excellent and the photo's are good. The photos seem a little less precise (could be the actual photo as not a direct comparison with the Epson) than the Epson but the colours are much more vibrant- overall I think the photo's are better. Printng the photos was easier in the Canon software and haven't tried the cloud printing yet.

I will stick with the Canon ink purely because of the vibrancy of the photo's which might not be to everyone's taste.

The reason it is not 5 stars is because the inks work out a bit dearer than the Epson (comparing XL cartridges)but only time will tell.
on 6 November 2013
I have used a few different inkjet photo printers before and apart from the ancient HP Photosmart 2670, there aren't any A4 that will give me a 'gray' ink for monochrome printing. This alone is worth the price, at least for me. I have tried a few prints since the printer arrived last week but so far so good. Colour prints are vibrant and sharp, providing you use Canon paper. I did try it on Kodak papers but the result wasn't great. But there's a trick too, you need to understand printer profiles and calibration if you want perfect colours and tones. A lot of people reviewing printers will complaint this and that but the fact is that if neither or either computer screen or printer is calibrated, the result will not be great. Also, paper plays a big part so don't get just any paper without first calibrate for a profile specifically for it.

I use a Mac and I did see people complaint about software or driver but Mac actually has a built in driver that it will automatically download from internet so you don't need to use anything. I set everything up wirelessly (remember to first set up the printer's wireless setting). My mac just picked it up in seconds and everything was a thing of the past. Simple install and printing was painless. I had an old Pixma ip4000 and by comparison, this is super quick and quiet. It does copying, scanning and duplexing so perfect for my wedding business. I don't print anything larger than A4 and I need bigger, I always use a pro lab because my client would never order too many prints and A4s are good for them.

I can't comment on ink usage yet but I don't really mind because I use it for photos and they never last anyway no matter how you wish it would last. I've had HP and Canon printers and none of them last when printing photos.

I do think this is a great little compact and good looking all-in-one photo printer and that gray ink is just my icing on the cake and I am loving it. The black and white is no longer a 'red' toned monochrome. Trust me and try printing a black and white photo from a printer without gray ink is a disaster!

I love it!
on 17 September 2014
Outstanding printer.

First and foremost I bought it for printing photographs, and it does this very well... in fact perfectly. The quality of the borderless pictures is better than Boots and as good as Photobox. Absolutely flawless in glossy Canon paper.

It is true though that the colours are a bit more intense but that is a matter of personal taste - I quite like that.

This is the highest resolution inkjet printer I could find when I looked in Currys and John Lewis (which is where I bought it from - solely because I wanted it in white!) and it really shows.

Connected to the wifi in no time. Very easy indeed to print straight from the iPhone or iPad with the Canon app, although be careful as you can end up printing more photos than you intended (easy to select more than you wanted to). The app defaults to all the right settings and knows what paper the printer has, the ink levels, etc.

Document printing is essentially the same as laser (albeit a lot slower of course). It's useful that there is a separate tray for document printing which you can load with A4 while the other tray has the photo paper (I have printed word docs on photo paper by accident in the past on other printers).

Haven't tried scanning on it yet.

It isn't as small or light as you might expect looking at the picture though - a good sized beast and you need a big desk.

Minor negatives - the build quality doesn't look as good as one might expect (paper trays rattle, looks a bit cheap although the black version is better ironically), and the Canon inks are horrendously expensive - although I understand compatible inks work just fine.

But the print quality is truly outstanding.
on 4 August 2014
A mediocre printer at it's best. My primary need was for a printer that could produce good dvd prints. I use TY watershield glossy disks. When used in this printer two roller marks can be clearly seen on the face of the disc. I had a Canon Pixma ip 4200 before which produced very good disk prints.

In my opinion Canon have gone backwards with their latest printers. It's fine for letters and documents, poor in all other departments.
on 16 December 2013
I've just replaced my Canon Pixma MG 6150 with this. The 7150 is more compact - tidier. Setting it up was OK. It is essential though to follow the steps closely - it would be helpful if the setup diagrams were text assisted because you sometimes need to check carefully that you have interpreted the diagrams carefully. I had to take two go's at the Wi-Fi setup but the second attempt was successful. The quality of the text and pictures on plain paper is very good - the same result as the 6150 which also printed well on plain paper. Auto duplexing is useful. I haven't yet tried photos on photo paper nor scanning. Print cartridges are expensive. However, I will use the Canon cartridges because I believe that it was the cheap cartridges which killed my 6150 and caused me to replace it with this machine.

Additional Note.

July 2015. 18 months after purchase the MG 7150 has just died on me! The only option I'm given is to parcel it up and send it 200 miles to the nearest Canon repair centre. There are only 2 repair centres available to me - both are in the London area. Is that going to be a cheap option?? I don't think so - so a new printer - after only 18 months!
on 21 April 2014
I bought to replace my old Canon MP560. As a keen photographer print quality is of paramount importance. The MP560 produced great quality results, so far all I can say is the MG7150 is at least equal, which is fine. I have not printed any B/W photo's yet so don't know whether the extra grey ink makes a difference. I do find it takes a long time to be ready to print, I hate to think how much ink is being wasted in the cleaning process, but this is the same in all printers. What I don't like is that it switches itself off after a certain time of not being in use, so the cleaning cycle is repeated. There is a way of switching this off in the menu which I have not tried yet, but I wish the option was reversed, if you want it to switch off. Seems to be another way of wasting more ink, don't really see the advantage of it switching off. The older printers were simple to use, but everything now seems to have touch screens and endless menu options, which for those brought up on "smart phones" is fine. I hope the print head last longer than in my last model, but I doubt it. Still against other brands this is still a great printer, and if you have to replace a new print head and inks for your "old" printer, makes financial sense as you are talking about £90 - new printer with ink £126
on 19 November 2014
Before my purchase I compared different Canon printers as I have used other brands and not been very impressed. In my last job I used Canon copiers and found them to be highly reliable and great quality. I looked at cheaper Canon printers and was put off by some of the reviews saying they were noisy and unreliable so decided to pay more and go for a top-end model.
I have to say that set-up could not have been simpler, wi-fi connection was straightforward and software installation easy, from opening the box to printing 15 minutes...
Most amazing is how quickly a page prints - about 5 seconds! Even double-sided (duplex) print was about 10 seconds - I love this machine and cannot understand anyone giving it bad press, I can only assume they either had a machine which slipped through quality control or they should ask for help in setting up their printer, I am now a Canon fan and can honestly say if you are reading this I can assure you this will not disappoint you.
on 16 October 2014
I was looking for a printer to replace my older canon model for printing greeting cards. I've always used Canon because they're reasonably cheap for printers and print good quality onto the 300gsm paper I use. This printer, although prints great quality, is a nightmare to use.

Firstly, the paper guides inside the tray don't stay put - they don't hold the paper tightly and so allow the paper to move in the cassette tray, causing constantly wonky printing. The feed and rollers are useless, meaning that the printer alternates between "no paper" and "there's a jam" alerts, despite having paper in the tray - it seems to be a case of too much or too little paper in the tray. It also leaves scuffs on the paper as it tries to pull it through, and frequently pulls the paper through half way and just stops, hanging out the front. I'm sure if there was a rear feed, gravity would probably help feed the paper through the printer consistently and straight, but it seems Canon has done away with rear paper trays.

Overall, if you don't mind unprofessional, wonky printing, then this is a great printer. But it takes about 20 attempts and jiggling the paper in the cassette before it can pick up a sheet of 300gsm (which I don't feel is particularly thick!) and another 20 attempts to print it so it appears straight. The quality is of the printing is great, but the functionality is appalling.