on 20 August 2014
Felt I had to write this to help others.

When I first got this I raved about it. Space age toothbrush! Lovely sleek design, charges in its glass cup, or via its travel case usb whilst closed, and really really clean teeth. Was awesome. Even if it's a £250 tooth brush (but seems to be permanently half price)

Unfortunately it then stops working.

After about 11 months it seemed to vibrate a little less vigorously. I ignored it and carried on but it got worse and worse. It feels like some seals or rubber inside has worn down, so it ends up not really cleaning your teeth.

After about 13 months it was useless. I contacted amazon who just pointed me at the seller. The seller just stated 12 months warranty and told me to go away.

I asked amazon again, stating sale of goods act (£250 toothbrush should work for more than a year). Again no help. I've previously had very good customer care from amazon when buying goods where they are the seller, but I will now be very wary of buying on amazon from another merchant.

So overall a massive disappointment. Real shame as it's a beautiful toothbrush that functions brilliantly. Unfortunately seems to have a design flaw which means it ceases to operate after approx a year.

So if yours starts getting less effective contact the vendor straight way. Hope this is useful for some.
1313 comments255 of 271 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 10 January 2015
I cannot yet attest to the toothbrushes longevity so I am hesitant to give it 5 stars, BUT...

In all honesty, my teeth are in shock. A couple of years ago, I drank tea quite heavily for a bit. Now I have been a smoker and I love coffee, but neither of those left my teeth looking as bad as simple green tea did. I had massive stains all over the front gaps which looked like bits of food from a distance and the back of the front teeth was basically completely black. I've been trying everything I could get my hands on, brushed 3 times a day, tried baking soda, citric acid, Hydrogen peroxide, flossing, interdental toothbrushes, various toothpastes like Rembrandt and mouthwash - no dice. Only thing that effectively got rid of it was my dentist with a rotary brush when I was there on a checkup. She did a few of the teeth and then she just gave me some tips about flossing and sent me on my way as she had another appointment coming up.

Anyway, I thought about going to a hygienist to finish the job properly for a while, but I still enjoy tea very much. She wouldn't likely be happy about my lifestyle and I didn't want to have to come back for cleaning regularly either, as it's pretty damn expensive. Now I had an electric brush before when I was little, but back then it was just a gimmick basically. It broke after a while and never really worked to begin with, but seeing all the reviews here and a pretty hefty discount from the rather insane original price, I decided to try the Sonicare. So here goes:

I've had it for a week - my stains are almost gone - still pretty bad, but only in hard to reach places on the back of the teeth and mostly around where my teeth were repaired - I believe a couple of days of directing my attention on those and they'll give up as well. The interdental stains are still there, although much less prominent. Hopefully, if I get the right size interdental brush ( I have very small gaps so it's hard to reach ), I'll get rid of them completely.

The brush feels a bit like a pneumatic hammer going off in your mouth. It's rather hard to tell which way the bristles are facing so I just try to orient it by the power button. First couple of brushes it's uncomfortable, but you get used to it. More importantly - try not to make too much contact with the bristles with the insides of your cheeks. It can really tear the skin on them and your lips to shreds. Nothing to be afraid of or painful, just keep in mind that it will likely happen to you at least once. It's not noticeable right away, but I woke up with mouth full of what I guess was dead skin pieces and my mouth felt a tad raw.

2:30 run time on the whitening mode seems rather short, I am used to brush longer than that, but hey - it gets the job done. I just wish it had an unlimited mode because I don't like powering it up again when I feel like there's a spot I missed.

It's loud, it could possibly wake others sleeping in the next room if the door isn't shut. At least it feels like it could.

The brush heads feel like they can take a lot of abuse considering how fast the thing is going, but I think there's no way they will last the declared 3 months. Not to mention I find it rather gross, I never had a toothbrush that long.

I don't know whether the motor gets damaged in any way, but it is definitely possible to put too much strain on it when you press it harder as it starts to make rather weird sounds. It goes back to normal when you lighten up the grip. It really doesn't feel like it's going to last years, but at 100 GBP, I can live with that.

The glass charger is useless for me, the cable is too bulky and short. I don't have a wall socket anywhere where I could just leave it and I don't want to put it on the ground. Seriously, it won't even go from the ground to table height. Same with the USB charger, but at least it's protected in that. The good news is that the battery seems to last quite a long time. The induction charger is a nice touch, hopefully it will add to the longevity of the brush as the battery can be hermetically sealed this way - which it hopefully is because I have to wash the brush base quite often. The vibrations will make the toothpaste leak all over your face - it's best to hold the base higher than the brush head, otherwise it will get messy all over.

Don't brush with open mouth otherwise you'll have a lot of cleaning to do. I'd love to see what I am doing inside my mouth too, but then I'd have to clean the mirror every time.

Generally, other than the stains, it seems my teeth are getting a bit brighter. It's hard to tell though. It's like loosing weight, hard to tell yourself when you see yourself every day.

All in all, I am happy so far. Hopefully it will last me a year or more and it got rid of the stains which would otherwise require me to pay the dental hygienist somewhere in the same ballpark it cost me to buy this brush. If it lasts at least a year, I will instantly go and buy a new one. If it doesn't, I'll probably go back to regular brush and see if the stains start to come back.
on 11 August 2014
I really liked this toothbrush when I first got it. It cleans well and does not hurt my gums unlike a much cheaper OralB toothbrush I had previously. Unfortunately after 7 months a fault has developed with the on/off switch where it runs on its own (hear a strange noise in the bathroom and it has switched itself on hours after being used), or will not switch off/change setting when the button is pressed. This has continued over the last few weeks and is clearly faulty so I am looking for a way to return it for properly working replacement. For the price I think 7 months before an item becomes unusable is pretty poor. If anyone can advise how I do a return on it after 8 months I would appreciate it as I seem to be stuck in a loop on the returns page.
- Updated to add Amazon replaced this toothbrush for me with another one the same after I did a live chat session with a customer representative. The new one is working fine so far and I was very happy about that.
- Thank you too for the offer from Philips, I did not have email notifications set so was not getting those updates through.
22 comments23 of 25 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 28 November 2012
I couldn't believe the price of this toothbrush when I went to high street shops, not even being able to find it at the major stockists who sell Philips Sonicare toothbrush products. I was really delighted to be able to find this product on Amazon UK and for having a cheaper cost price than the current "top of the line" Philips rechargeable toothbrushes without the Sonic technology.

I have been a fan of Sonic brushes since 2000. My first Sonic brush was by Philips and then replaced by the rather excellent Braun Sonic Complete. Over the years though the Braun has started to get weaker with its battery and the Sonicare HX9332/04 by Philips seemed like the ideal replacement. There are tons of things about this brush product that really appeal to me, not least the funky actual glass tumbler where the toothbrush can be left in it to charge - provided you slot in the plug charger base underneath it. However, as a freelance musician and researcher, the material clad "reading glasses" travel case is more appropriate to me where charging is concerned as there's a permanently built in 2.0 USB cord already sealed into the unit which makes it easy to charge off any PC or MAC, or even if you have a USB battery charger plug for an iPod! I much prefer Philips decision here to fit the older style 2.0 USB cord as it makes it easier if you have an old work laptop with you on business trips and the case itself is well made and able to withstand general abuse.

When it comes to general use, this is a very classy toothbrush. Decked out in a smooth ceramic finish and five cleaning modes ("Clean," "White," "Polish," "Gum Care," and "Sensitive."), I find the Sonicare HX9332 to do what it largely says on the box. You get a smaller clean head and a standard larger toothbrush head with the travel case, each having lift off protective caps. At the time of waiting for my Philips Sonicare to arrive, I ordered a basic set of three standard Sonicare toothbrush heads from Argos and was delighted to find that they fit the Sonicare HX9332/04 Diamond Clean, even if it fails to say so on the box. However, when it comes to actual performance, I find there's a big difference between the replacement heads and the ones suitable for Diamond Clean.

The highest "clean" speed can be a bit too abrasive if you are not used to it, but this is a very powerful brush able to select just one of the speeds by pressing on the main button once to go down the list, highlighted by the lights of the words that appear easily when activated. A built in timer and quad cycle tells me when it is time to change the angle of the brush and compared to my Braun Sonic Complete brush head, the Philips Diamond Clean is a lot smaller and far more nimble to reach into the farthest corners of my mouth. A claim on the box that the brush can give whiter teeth in two weeks however was the biggest claim that has actually turned out to work - provided you go by the daily twice a day routine! A battery indicator in green also shows up whenever the brush is used and goes orange when it is time to charge up. Generally although it requires 6 to 10 hours for its initial charge out of the box, the Sonicare Diamond Clean only requires 4 to 8 hours thereafter for the claimed 2 week usage. I have only had the toothbrush for the month (but will update as time goes on) and found the initial charge has been sufficient without more charging - that's impressive!

However there are few downsides. Although the unit has a 1/2 minute timer built in, my Diamond Clean tends to stop before two minutes are up, or perhaps I'm going over the two minutes without really noticing, thus requiring to start up the brush again. However, compared to the Braun Sonic Complete's brush, toothpaste leakage is not much of an issue on account that the brush heads are thinner by diameter with longer, softer bristles. The bristles are also slightly longer than the standard green replacements you can buy, marked also by the white bristles and show an indication of when they need to be replaced. General things like pieces of nuts that get wedged deep into my bottom front set of teeth get whipped away by the Philips, cleanly compared to the Braun Sonic and logically best to keep your mouth closed as much as you can when using any Sonic brushes as the vibrations are far higher than a moveable brush head without the Sonic technology built in.

Generally I'm really pleased with the Philips Diamond Clean Sonic brush. Fast, quick to function and completely waterproof, the Sonic toothbrush is comfortable and not too noisy as well as being fairly light to handle and compact enough to boot. The only other downside is that the ceramic body is a bit too slippy to hold, even if it does look classy. Phillips could therefore add a bit more grippyness to the design to ensure that if it does fall out of your hands, the ceramic condition isn't marked. Thanks for reading. (c)NR2 2012.
review image review image
1212 comments267 of 296 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 1 December 2014
Bought a his and hers pair of these (black and white). Very effective bruising and the tumbler and case charging (for travel) induction charging is a nice touch. The rubberised surface has been easy to keep free of hard toothpaste crust which we have found has bought the early demise of previous braun models.

At first the recessed power button looked like it had the potential to get stuck; it hasn't so far flawless function since purchasing 8 months ago.
on 19 February 2015
This is a second one I bought & both have broken - the switch just stopped working. I have other makes for years & they are still in working order.
Waste of money.
on 14 October 2014
This toothbrush was great for 9 months, with a real effect on the quality of dental hygiene, then it brushed moderately well for 4 weeks and now it is useless, not brushing with the same vigour and switching itself off after a few seconds despite the battery being charged. I would not buy this again.
22 comments66 of 74 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 14 February 2015
I called Philips as I was confused between ordering the 'new' Diamond Clean HX9331/04 and the older Diamond Clean HX9332/04. I was confused because normally a newer version has a 'higher' model number and it is not a higher number.

Anyway, to cut a long story short, it's the 933 number that's important: This means that the products themselves are the same. However, the 2 on the end of the 933 means that there are 2 brush heads included in the pack, and the 1 means there is 1 brush head included in the pack.

So, these products are essentially the same except you're paying more for the 'new version' HX9331/04 (it is not the new version Amazon!) for 1 brush head to be included.

You are better off buying the HX9332/04 as it's exactly the same brush, it costs less and you get 2 brush heads!

I haven't yet used the product, will add some more information once I have reviewed the product itself.
on 5 January 2015
Overall, I am very impressed with this product and have already recommended it to my friends and family. It's finished to a very high standard, and the inductive charging is far more useful than I first imagined.

Pros:
- Great finish and feel in the hand
- The best charging options on the market
- Useful, robust carrying/charging case
- 2 year warranty

Cons:
- 3-pin to 2 pin adaptor not included
- No way to identify heads for multiple users
- Costly

In the box, you get the toothbrush, a large and small head, a carry case, a usb cable, a 2 pin shaving plug to USB adaptor, a glass and a charging base. There are a couple of instruction booklets and a warranty information card. Registering the product is quick and easy; you simply register an account on the phillips website and submit a proof of purchase (print out your Amazon order summary as a PDF file and attach).

The charging options that come with the toothbrush are second to none, and are for me the best part about this brush compared to others. It is not as clear on the photo, but the glass actually sits atop a metal plate which needs to be plugged into a two pin shaving socket. It is so much easier to simply pop the brush back into the glass after use and forget about it; charging my other toothbrushes has always been annoying as the charge bases are fiddly, and get knocked over easily. The carrying case also doubles up as a charger, and sports a micro-usb port on its end. It's very sturdy and I've managed to carry around my toothbrush whilst travelling with ease. The micro usb allows you to charge it from your computer/laptop, or a 3-pin plug to usb adapter (eg. iPhone charger) which is massively convenient when on the move.

If you don't have a two pin plug in your bathroom, you'll have to buy a separate adaptor. I find it an odd decision to include a 2-pin to USB adaptor, and really this is my only criticism of the product. A 3 pin to two pin adaptor would have been a far more useful inclusion, as I'd assume if you had a 2 pin plug you'd rather use the glass instead. Even a 3 pin to USB adaptor would be a more logical choice. I really can't imagine ever being in a situation where the included adaptor would be useful, and for the price Phillips recommend, I'd have expected better.

The brush handle is weighty, but feels comfortable in the hand and is a rounded rectangular shape that makes it easy to hold on to. When turned off, all you see is the logo and power button which makes it look a lot nicer than other electric toothbrushes I've used. As you pull it out of the charging glass/case, the body lights up to show the different modes in a subtle white glow. The modes are fairly self-explanatory, and are variations on intensity and length of brush time. The basic clean mode is two minutes long, split into four 30 second sections. The brush makes a high pitched buzz to let you know it's time to move on. I mostly use the whitening mode which pulses a little differently to the clean function and has an extra 30 seconds to polish your front teeth.

The heads are also finished to a high standard, and include indicator bristles that slowly fade in colour and let you know it's time to change the head. They come in at £5 each, but last a decent time. There's no native way to identify multiple heads of the same type like other brands, but if you rent out your brush you can always attach small coloured bands (eg. loom bands) or mark it with a permanent coloured marker. There are also black and pink heads available for the other handle colours which could be an option.

Whilst this is an expensive option, it is in my opinion the best electric toothbrush on the market, and if you have a 2-pin plug in your bathroom I guarantee the charging options will make your morning and evening routines a little less annoying.
11 comment9 of 10 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 4 January 2015
I'd seen these pretty, shiny toothbrushes in reviews and shops but was always a bit put off by paying a (very) premium price for a toothbrush.

However, after finding a good deal, I purchased on Amazon and have been using the toothbrush now for nearly a week.

Results? My teeth aren't suddenly 'Essex' white though I do think they look and feel cleaner than they did whilst using my run of the mill manual toothbrush. I assume something to do with the power my arm lacks in comparison to this little machine.

The charging glass is a very nice feature, though I don't currently have an outlet available in my bathroom so I have not much use for it. I'd probably find the travel case the best option for me when it comes to charging.

Slight negatives are that because you must have the toothbrush head in your mouth upon clicking start, it is difficult to see which program you are trying to select. A slight nuisance but not the end of the world.