I've been using Norton for years and it more or less runs silently and unobtrusively in the background just taking care of business and has never once let me down. There are plenty of user options for when you want it to update virus definitions, run scans, etc and it all just happens effortlessly once you've set your options. If you want a more comprehensive package with backup facilitation and PC maintenance options then opt for Norton 360 but if you just want peace of mind against nasties lurking on the web, opt for this - that little Norton logo with a green tick displayed in the task bar is very reassuring.

***Beware of auto-renewing your subscription online with Norton - you could (but not necessarily) be charged well in excess of the cost of buying a copy from Amazon. Norton quite often employ the widespread tactic of exploiting the loyalty of their existing customers by charging them over the odds when it comes to renewing***
66 comments|132 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
This Internet Security package from Norton represents good value from a respected provider. You can install this programme on 3 PCs. A couple things to note though - the subscription starts from the date of the first installation and you get no credit for days remaining on an existing Norton subscription. However, to balance this you do get upgraded to the very latest version of the Norton programme - so if during the year if a new version comes out you'll be able to upgrade to it. Also, when you compare the cost of this programme to even a single subscription purchased for download directly from the Norton website it is very good value.

In the pack you get a CD plus an activation code - if you are already running Norton Internet Security you do not need to run the CD, all you need do is enter the new activation code and your new subscription will start, plus, you can check if there has been a version update too.

In use Norton Internet Security has a clear interface and is largely self configuring - for many people it will simply install and run in the background with the occasional message about updates or events. This latest iteration of Norton does not appear to exert a strain on system resources like the versions of a few years ago - my computer (an Intel i5 with 10GB RAM) shows no sign of stress from using this package.

It is hard for a novice to judge the technical efficacy of an Internet security programme but Norton does seem to benchmark well in many professional reviews, so I am as confident as I can be that it will keep my computers safe. The updates seem frequent (often more than one an hour) which, in a world of constant internet security threats is also reassuring.

In summary, this Norton package offers good value and easy to manage protection for up to 3 PCs from a respected internet security provider. Recommended.
on 27 December 2013
Alway use norton cos it works well easy loading secures my computer lets me know what's going on cant fault it works well for me
on 8 February 2014
I've used Norton Internet Security for a few years now, and it has effectively kept my PC clear of problems other than malware (for which I can recommend malwarebytes.org). However, this latest release has been disappointing because it is very greedy with resources, frequently taking up virtually all my PC's CPU and a considerable chunk of memory. When it grabs memory, it can push other programmes (e.g. Internet Explorer) out of memory. The combined effect is to slow down my PC dreadfully. One has to question why this sudden deterioration in usability has arisen in this release, compared with earlier versions. Worth considering alternatives before rushing out to buy this one.
on 14 January 2014
I've used Norton from the year dot, so being something i'm used to it's easy to upgrade each year, amazon always offer a reasonable price compared to anywhere else. The installation of this product even for first time users is easy - all self explainatory.
on 6 October 2014
6/10/14
Just input this product key today to extend my subscription which had 27 days remaining. As others have mentioned here and elsewhere, Symantec happily cuts those remaining days (steals them) from your subscription. This is the THIRD year running that this has happened, and each time I spent around 1 hour of my time on their chat customer service to have it corrected. THIS IS NO ACCIDENT - IT IS OBVIOUSLY SYMANTEC CORPORATE POLICY, designed to increase revenue, and constitutes a continuing deceptive strategy - knowing that most customers will either not catch it or will not spend the time on chat or the telephone trying to recover the stolen days. When this subscription runs out, I will DEFINITELY switch to another security software firm...3 strikes and these cheats are out! Forget it.
on 13 June 2014
I had used Internet Security for many years,I bought it from amazon as it was cheaper than renewing on-line.

It was coming up for renewal with several weeks left, I hit renew entered the new product key as prompted and it wiped out the end of the previous years subscription.

Talking to the Norton person on-line chat, she said that's now policy. I should have renewed at the higher price on-line to get the days from the previous year.
on 21 September 2014
This is a great product when it comes to internet protection. However the user experience this time was poor. I've used Norton for years and it keeps improving. A couple of weeks before my existing subscription expired I bought a further years subscription code. Rather than wait for the current one to expire I selected renew in the program expecting to simply type in the new code and have the life extended by 365 days. Instead it simply recorded a life of 365 days losing the balance of my existing sub. Checking on the website showed 2 subs running concurrently! I then spent ages searching for an email address to lodge a help query. Eventually found they don't do that anymore you have to go through a web chat session. That worked fine and problem sorted. But why oh why isn't that clear on the website? I wasted nearly 2 hours doing something that should have taken less than 10 minutes. Then to add insult to injury I found that Symantec was offering a renewal price slightly less than Amazon's best and way below their normal online price. That was seriously well hidden! That wasn't the end. When the clock ticked down to 365 days protection my computer took ages to boot up in the morning. I then got a Windows warning that I had no virus protection or firewall. On trying to access Norton nothing happened. When I did eventually get it to load I got a message that it wasn't registered and I had to activate it. I did that, and assumed all was now well but not so. The next time I booted the same thing happened. The third boot up was ok but I am really fed up. I've used Norton for years, but this experience has me thinking I should go elsewhere next year.
on 18 February 2014
What is there to say about this . Wouldn't use any other security. Have been using Norton for years and never had any problems 'Touch wood.' Having the three in one certainly keeps the cost down for my PC and laptop.
on 22 November 2014
Bought this when I bought my laptop, which had McAfee pre installed. Wish I hadn't bothered, security down to 84% and it can take 2 or 3 full scans to detect risks. I do not browse dangerous sites but it still does not do what it says on the box. Waste of money, I am looking for a more reliable product. I have relied on it in the past but will never waste my money on Norton again. Use at your own considerable risk!!!!