• Seven

Format: Audio CD|Change

on 12 February 2014
Before you read this review, you need to know I'm not one of those fans who would review everything Lisa did with 5 stars. She's one of those artists I like, but who can deliver some vey mediocre recordings from time to time. I'm very happy to say though, that this is not one of them and it's barely been out of my CD player since it arrived at Txacoli Towers!

Lisa has delivered a stunning album of styles and musical flavours to suit everyone and to those reviewers who feel that she's phoned-in these vocal performances and that they are devoid of emotion, I'm sorry but you are SOOOOO wrong! Starting with the funky dance-pop of "Can't dance", there's an immediate U-turn straight into the finger-snapping big band jazz of "Why", which wouldn't seem out of place in one of those detective film noirs from the 1950's.

I'm not going to review every single song intimately, but even the album filler tracks are of a very high quality. The one downside for this particular reviewer is "The crown", which I'm not at all fond of. With a very strong nod to today's R&B stylings, the lyrics "You're pissing on my ground" I find a little gratuitous and unnecessary - and this from someone who can swear like a navvy when the mood takes me!! Personally, I don't think this particular style suits her, although it takes all sorts and I'm sure others will disagree with this.

Highlights on the album are many, but for sheer perfection, you can't beat "The rain". This is a big, emotional mid-tempo ballad that sounds like it was performed live, thanks to the sound of the Telefilmonic Orchestra in the background. If this isn't a single and doesn't get heavy airplay, then there's something wrong. Also worth a nod are "Stupid heart", which has some fabulous lyrics and sees Lisa chanelling Etta James at her finest and "Conversation", which is a beautiful ballad that will have you stopping what you're doing to listen.

I can't stop playing this CD. I haven't done that with a new CD since I was a teenager and that was a few years ago, although I'm not saying how many........but I was wearing loon pants and platform heels at the time! Go on and buy it. You won't regret it!
on 10 February 2014
After 2004's rather dull 'The Moment' labour Stansfield comes roaring back with the magnificent 'Seven'. Older and no doubt wiser her voice has deepened in the intervening years bringing a pathos to her voice that really suits her soulful style. Her love of the soul diva is no more evident on the highlight that is 'Stupid Heart' where she matches Bettye Swann or even Etta James for emotional impact. It's one of several highlights that include the lyrically interesting 'Picket Fence', the sweet Philadelphia soul pop of 'So Be it' and the homage to northern soul 'Carry On' . The decision by Stansfield and her husband Iain Devaney to use a full orchestra for some cuts such as 'The Rain' and 'Conversation' heighten the tension and work very well. If some of the songs are a tad derivative they are all newly written and there's not a filler amongst them. All in all its a fabulous collection of songs sung beautifully with a maturity that comes with living a few years. Some fans hoping for a 80/90s retro album will, no doubt be disappointed with only the 'The Crown' and 'Love Can' really hitting that neo soul feel of programmed drums and keyboards. The musicianship on display is superb consisting, as it does of real musicians playing together and that includes real drums!. It's the essential humanity of musicians playing together and bouncing off each other that wins for me. Honesty is the essence of soul and that what's on display here. There are a number of live bonus tracks on my copy that are current but represent songs from the Lisa canon. They include a knock out live version of 'Someday' replete with a brilliant sax break from Mick Donnelly.It's a gleeful return from Lisa Stansfield.
on 10 February 2014
At 47, Lisa Stansfield's seventh SEVEN album arrives after 10 year's pause from the world of music and immediately secures its place as a classic among Stansfield's discography filled with soul, jazz, blues and dance traks that flow effortlessly and confidently as a mighty river.
From upbeat “Can't Dance” to 70's classic soul sound of “Love Can” you are taken on journey of love, heartbreak, hope, and self respect. Stansfield may have been absent for the past 10 years with occassional gigs in night clubs but now she deserves all the accolades for her work on Seven. On the other hand, she has nothing to prove and it comes through the music of SEVEN. Brilliant Album.
on 13 February 2014
I have all previous releases from Lisa Stansfield and was looking forward to the new release.

Overall impression, after a couple of listening sessions, is that it is very good. Mostly a bit different to her previous albums but good progression.

Can't wait for more from one of my previous favourite artists.

NOTE TO DISTRIBUTORS: Please stop using the CHEAP cardboard sleeves for CD's. You already make plenty of money so stop penny pinching by using cardboard sleeves. They rip when one tries to remove the sleeve notes or the actual CD. If I have bothered to BUY the CD instead of just downloading the MP3 files it is because I want to 'own' the physical item. Cardboard sleeves are rubbish when stacked in a collection as it is frequently difficult to read the title /artist on the spine, they tear too easily and do not wear well with time.
on 20 February 2014
Opening with the Nile Rodgers/Chic/Daft Punk rift of "Can't Dance", "Seven" follows "Face Up" and "The Moment" by abandoning the classic Devaney/Stansfield sound from their first couple of albums that were wildly successful. "Can't Dance" has definitely grown on me from its sneak preview of several months ago. Throughout "Seven", Lisa sounds strong and confident. I just personally miss that signature sound that would probably sound dated today.
Nothing jumps out at me on my first few listenings, but, that is not unusual for me. I trust in time that it will grow on me.
The bonus tracks of some of her classic hits are a nice treat though the U.S. #1/"You Can't Deny It" is quite a bit different from the original release.
I certainly hope that Lisa does tour the states as its been well over a decade that she played New York for a one-off date.
on 13 February 2014
10 years in the waiting but worth the wait.
Lisa has had her problems in life but she has finally overcome them and returned with a fantastic release.
She has matured whilst still retaining her past qualities.
The production is excellent and the sound combines pop/soul/jazz in a wonderful way.
If you intend to buy, buy the deluxe edition with faultless live versions as extras.
We all need the likes of Lisa Stansfield, George Michael, Sting and Peter Cox and the genre to keep releasing new material, so support them all by purchasing the music.
The cd is nearly a Lisa classic, my only disappointment is that I have only seen her live once some years ago and have struggled to get a ticket since.
Until I get another chance I will bask in the excellence that is Lisa Stansfield on this and her other cds.
She is a working class girl that has become an icon, up there with the best in the business.
I cant understand why someone complains about the packaging, which in my view is excellent.
Surely the music that is enclosed is the most important.
Buy, listen and support the excellence that is Lisa Stansfield.
Enjoy.
on 3 November 2014
This a bit of a clunker in all honesty. After hearing a couple of tracks plugged by Chris Evans earlier in the year these stuck in my mind as being a commendable return to form. Sadly, after finally purchasing the album it seems these are the only decent tracks and the rest are a selection of dated, bland and (to my ears) somewhat off-key warblings more akin to somewhere between 1975 and the late 80's. Sounds more like a load of polished demo recordings and the ubiquitous "previously unreleased tracks" that should generally remain as such.

Requires significant re-invention along the lines of Sophie Ellis-Bextor and her excellent Wanderlust album.
on 11 February 2014
10 long years since Lisa's last album, The Moment and we are gifted the truly wonderful Seven. Where The Moment seemed to lack a certain indefinable something Seven sees Lisa back at her best.

Lead single Can't Dance kicks of proceedings in fine style, a great dance floor filler showcasing Lisa's vocal range and the killer tracks keep on coming, Why is so catchy you'll be humming it all day, So Be It, The Crown and Love Can all have their drama and punch in the emotional lyrics and music, best though are the big Lisa songs, the ballads.

The Rain is as drama filled as anything Adele could deliver, Conversation stops you in your tracks and as for Stupid Heart? For me this is the best Lisa Stansfield song I've ever heard, having heard it live a few times over the last year I was really looking forward to this track on the album and it does not disappoint, a big big song both musically and vocally Lisa gives it her genuine all with that glorious voice and creates real magic - I love it.

To anyone who has ever liked a Lisa Stansfield song I would recommend you go and buy this album, it's been a long wait, but by heck it's been worth it!
on 1 March 2015
Fantastic album
One of Lisas best albums' so glad ive seen her perform these songs live.
Wonderful album from a World class singer and long awaited.
A must buy for any fan.
there have been complaints about the card board sleeve but you don't need to bother about that.
its whats on the disc that matters and that is wonderful
on 10 February 2014
Wow so impressed by this album, her voice has never sounded better, more depth to her vocal range, the musical arrangement is a stand out feature which seams effortlessly to the quality of the songs. Not only the best album I've bought in last few years, I believe it's her best album to date.