on 28 February 2014
Only giving three stars as I have not been able to connect to it via wireless. Actually not a problem as I can use USB cable (not supplied).
I am running a MacBook Pro with OS X 10.9. When I loaded the supplied CD, a message came up saying that drivers were not available.
I went to the Brother support site and downloaded a driver ok, and once installed I was able to connect to the printer via USB, the wireless bit is still to be sorted out.
Print quality good, very good LCD screen that is intuitive to use. I have been scanning lots of old black and white photographs, and these have been sent to my Mac either as pdf or jpg depending on what you need to do. Quality of resulting picture is very good.
This is not my first Brother printer, I'm sure the wireless bit will be solved and I'm happy with my purchase.
on 6 March 2014
I bought this on the recommendation of "Which" magazine. We have it connected to a desktop via USB cable and also via wireless to a separate laptop. This latter took a bit of setting up but the manual instructions were clear.
Very happy with this machine - print is clear and it's easy to use. At just over £90 delivered it was also good value.
on 5 March 2014
This printer works very well. The WiFi setup was very easy and everything was looking good, HOWEVER both my iPad and iPhone do not recognize it as an AirPrint printer so in order to print I have to go through some tedious steps. It will print using the Brother iprint app but only if you can convert any doc to a PDF, or word format, anything else has to be copied to the clipboard and the converted to an acceptable format before printing. I can just about manage but my wife is totally lost! Brother appear to know of the problem and are hopefully working on a solution. Apple has the the printer listed as an AirPrint printer but have obviously never actually tried it. Be aware before ordering
0Comment23 of 24 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 22 September 2014
Best printer I have bought to date. I usually make the mistake of buying the most showy printer with the best colour option but toner/ink is usually funny money, so this time I researched best value for money ink replacement and Brother was recommended. I'm very happy with my purchase.
on 16 July 2014
Had serious teething trouble with wake on LAN fatures and not being able to reset the printer and clear the stack. Had to un-install the driver and re-install from scratch many times, and auto setup was not great. Basically this was a hard work setup which surprised me because I've had a couple of USB Brother printers that were real happy bunnies.
on 21 February 2015
So my lovely Canon Pixma developed an apparent unfixable fault (lots of internet complaints about that). So I refused to buy another Canon and bought this. The price was much the same as I paid for the Canon but I think I got a bargain on the Canon. The build is much more plastic. There is no rear feed for photo paper. And the paper feed is rubbish. Often feeding several pages (and I am using decent paper). Scan works well. Wifi works well. Ink usage is not bad, which is good because I buy their ink. I wouldn't recommend it.
on 5 June 2014
Not being a computer keek expected difficulties with the the wireless connection to my computer, connection was easy both in understanding the instructions and the actual connection which was immediate. Have now progressed to printing direct from my phone.

The entire setup process was painless and successful. The print quality is good both text and pictures in all cases from fast through everyday to first class, although I have not yet tried photos.

Very satisfied with all aspects of my purchase.
on 16 December 2014
Pleased with everything so far. Easy to set up. Followed the wireless setup instructions and worked fine.Print quality is good, but have only printed a few documents in standard quality. Have not printed any photos, but wasn't intending to. Printer is reasonably quick, and so far ink usage appears to be good. Some printers seem to have frightening ink usage during the cleaning cycle, especially so for low volume printing.
Only minor flaw that I have found so far is that the scanner cover is a little flimsy, but am sure it will last if treated with care.
Overall, good value for money
on 18 May 2014
Good printer
Like front loading of ink and paper also option of double side printing.
Easy to set up
Have not as yet printed any photos but print clarity is good
Would recommend
on 3 June 2015
I bought this to replace a Brother printer model 110 which gave loyal service for nearly 10 years, only failing when using cheap inks it became blocked on 2 colours (swings & roundabouts!).
I had a Canon printer and first paper jam it came up with an error message basically saying 'bin me' - however getting this set up I did have an issue. It would print off the computer (XP), but not scan - 'printer not recognised' although it was listed in drop-box on Controlcentre4 it would not scan on USB or wireless - If you go on the internet there are other people with similar problems (with all makes of printers) and a wide range of rather complex solutions - so I contacted Brother support by email and had a next day response - told to go control panel / scanner and camera - the scanner was there, I clicked in it, selecting window wizard and it scanned. Not a perfect solution and still would not work on ControlCenter4 . I have a disconnected Canon scanner that I used for old photo-slides and I went in to that program and found under scanner source both the Canon and Brother 552 listed. I selected the Brother and the ControlCenter4 recognised the printer - I even reverted the
canon scanner back to canon and it still works.
Other than that I would recommend this printer and Brothers support team.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse