VINE VOICEon 10 October 2013
Platform: PCVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This programme was easy to install, although the actual process took 10 to 15 minutes.

It's easy to set up individual accounts and the process for entering data is straightforward. The program can produce all the documentation that you might need for a small business.

However for those who need a very basic accounting system for very small-scale operations, even this system may be too sophisticated for your needs. For example, all income transactions have to be reconciled with an invoice or a sales receipt generated by the program. In my basic system this is an unnecessary burden.

If you are operating a small operation (as in my case, where income and expenditure never goes beyond 4 figures in the course of a year) you are unlikely to need all the features of this program.

But that is not to say that this program is no good. For some small businesses this could be an ideal starter for IT accounting. It has a very good range of features, including:
Invoice creation
Sales receipts
Bank deposits
Recording of cheques, ATM withdrawals, debit card purchases or electronic fund transfers
Bills and payments
Profit and loss.

One omission is the lack of a user guide/manual: there isn't even one on the CD. There is one online at [...] , but you will need to download this to your hard drive if you cannot guarantee an internet connection (e.g. when on the move).
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 12 November 2013
Costco are offering this for £99+vat throughout November 2013.

Intuit state the new method of calculating VAT as an accuracy benefit, however upgraders (from 2006 and previous) are forced to re-create their invoice templates from scratch. The changes in the way VAT is calculated will prevent you from keeping your invoices looking how they did previously. Having a more accurate VAT calculation outweighs this, but I don't see why it isn't possible to show VAT on a line by line basis as it was in the 2006 version.

The import from 2006 to 2014 was painless, apart from having to re-create invoices. I heard that the import to previous versions was pretty awful, but I had no issues. Please bear in mind that I have a relatively simple company and I did not use the multicurrency facility. My company file was less than 100mb (16mb to be precise) and took 8 minutes to import on an i7 with 8gb +SSD on Win7 64bit. Didn't take me long, but that isn't that fast for such a small file, so it might take you longer.

The built in reports are good, as is the help, although it strikes me that this really isn't that different from 2006. I think I would have been disappointed had I upgraded to an earlier version than 2014, given the apparent lack of new features. Don't get me wrong, there are some new things here, some of which are very nice, and the interface change won't leave you feeling unfamiliar, but I can imagine this being quite a painful upgrade for some (if you have lots of templates) for relatively little reward overall. I really only upgraded because of OS upgrade from XP to W7.

I may well be underestimating what's going on 'under the bonnet', but from a user's perspective, this really does feel like upgrading to next year's iPhone. It looks different, but after the effort of importing, it doesn't do much more. New users will love it, whilst previous owners will be somewhat underwhelmed. I cannot imagine why anyone who started with 2008 or above would bother at the price point.

For everything I've said, the other side of the coin is that they haven't tried to fix what isn't broken, and that's commendable. However, there needs to be a cheaper upgrade path. Not much has changed in nearly a decade, and if I had paid the full PC World £299 price I would be feeling pretty upset.
VINE VOICEon 7 October 2013
Platform: PCVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
As always QuickBooks is the software to get for any small business - we were using the 2013 version and I was curious to see if the upgrade would be vastly better and indeed it is mainly for the invaluable Flat Rate VAT which makes life easier. The interface is simple and you don't need to be majorly account minded to use this. It does all the work and saves you a fortune on accountants fees!
The interface is clear, precise and makes it easy to navigate around, this is definitely the version to get - I find the basic version wasn't enough even for a very small business but this contains everything you need and more at a bargain price.
Easy to install and hasn't affected my computers performance despite being an older model.
Fantastic all round, worth every penny, lets you put your feet up while it does all the work!
on 5 November 2013
Platform: PCVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
What appears to be a great package soon becomes less and less great. Having tried and tested various accounting software packages the first thing I wanted to try out was the downloading of bank account information, now wait I hear you say - it only accepts Barclays and HSBC Business when you go to the Intuit website and get into the detail. Well ladies and gentlemen let me tell you I have a HSBC business bank account and does it work.... Nope. It messes you around and then basically states I have to login to my bank and look for a intuit / quickbooks type file that will finish the process. All my bank account allows is Microsoft Money and CSV exports so who ever made he instructions needs sacking! This is a selling point for criekys sake!

What I do like is the diagram of flow chart you can click on to go straight to invoices, payments etc... Easily add your own logo (kinda once you find the options). If you choose to go and give this a shot I would recomend watching the training DVD's or online screencasts - this'll get you up to speed faster.

Ok so onto more trialling and testing, it's the same old story of if you're new to this some level of hand holding would be great but it kinda assumes you know what you're doing.

So in short, it's expensive, Windows only, doesn't have any smart phone companion apps (and trust me don't even go near quickbooks online!) and a waste of time and effort. If you have some time to invest or are a avid Quickbooks user from the past then it may well be up your street, other than that I really can't say it's great as there are other software packages you should trial before purchasing. Having been a user of a bespoke photography application for a few years I am obviously struggling to like the generic variety that this is and attempt the learning curve involved!
on 2 February 2014
Beware of compatibility issues with MS Office 2013, especially outlook 2013 causing crashing when emailing invoices.
Also disappointed that the sync between Outook and Quick-books no longer works.

Apart from this its a very comprehensive accounting SW. Still trying to get my head around all the features and I hope and fully expect in time the issues listed above will be fixed in time,
VINE VOICEon 17 October 2013
Platform: PCVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I have a small business and HATE paying book-keepers or accountants. I have used Intuit Quicken and previous versions of this Quickbooks software and this has a very familiar look and feel.

The tutorials are excellent and well worth going through.

I am an engineer and use EXcel rather a lot. It is a super feature being able to import spreadsheets into Quickbooks and then producing useful reports. My tax returns next year will be very neat and tidy, I am confident the reports I will be able to create and print out will satisfy my auditor and HMRC

I am now providing clients with very good looking estimates, invoices and receipts.

The email tracking system is superb, no more arguments about who said what or when.

I am sure to find even more useful features. Never thought I would find accounting interesting.
on 31 December 2013
I still like the simplicity of the 2006 version but, once you get used to it, this version is much easier to use and navigate and has many useful additional features.

I had some difficulty upgrading from 2006. It wasn't possible to do it in one go; I had to use the services of my I.T. supplier, who has the 2012 version, to upgrade to 2012 first. I was then able to upgrade to 2014 from a backup file.

Probably the most important thing to sort out is the historic VAT data. This version has much more sophisticated VAT features and any issues with historic VAT data need to be sorted out before upgrading as it is no longer possible to edit historic information in the way it was with 2006. If you are not an accountant you might need to take advice before running with the upgrade.
Platform: PCVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I have to admit i am a bit of a newbie to this self employed lark.

My husband recently started his own business, but he is completely computer and internet inept, so i jumped at the chance to get this as i was doing everything in excel before.

What a revelation, this makes my life so much easier.

I can do invoices, receipts, vat returns straight to the tax office, what a fab feature that is, no more 3 day annual self assesments.

for me anyway i really liked it, the only thing i would of liked is for it to incorporate payroll, as having to buy sage seperately is a bit of a pain.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 19 November 2013
Platform: PCVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This product is a good option for those just starting out in business and in need of a decent accounts package to fulfil a variety of needs. I turned to Quickbooks based on it's reputable name and the fact that it's cheaper than some of the alternative brands.

With Quickbooks Pro you're able to keep track of your accounts on a daily basis including tracking sales, expenses and profit in almost real-time. VAT returns are easy and these can be filed online which saves a lot of time. You're also able to create and send branded invoices which is very handy and looks professional when sending things out to customers.

A couple of other areas where this software is beneficial is in the handling of multiple currencies, which is very useful to those people who do a lot of business in US dollars, although the software can handle up to 145 currencies. Also useful is the stock control, which helps you to track stock for part of your business and allows you to set reorder points so that you know when stock is low and needs to be replenished.

So far this has offered me everything I've needed, it took a little time for me to find my way around and to get to grips with the software, but once you've used it for a short while you get the hang of it. I can recommend this to anyone who's starting out in business or anyone who has an established business looking to purchase new accounts software. It has a lot to offer and should cover the needs of most businesses out there.
Platform: PCVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
QuickBooks Pro 2014 is the latest accounting software from company Intuit, which has been developed "to make accounting simple and help you be more organized and efficient."

It offers a range of features including:

- The ability to create custom invoices
- VAT calculator with easy return figures
- Stock control in various forms
- Allows you to use different and multiple currencies
- Tools to track sales, profits and predictions

The software claims to be able to do this even if users have no accounting knowledge. For the most part this is true as QuickBooks is both easy to use and easy to learn (while the actual layout of the software may take a short time for users to fully follow and understand.) It has the added benefit of giving users the chance to be able to carry out all their accounting needs from a single software suite (with seamless import of data from Excel), without having to switch back and forward between Excel, Publisher and Word for example.

Being able to handle multiple currencies has a lot of benefits to businesses that use more than just pounds. It automatically checks and sets the exchange rate, while showing you at a glance any rate fluctuations which may affect profit.

Another useful feature is the email tracking system, if your business is email heavy this allows you to see at a glace who said what and when and to who. The software comes with plenty of tutorials (for those who haven't used QuickBooks before) these are worth a watch as they are pretty useful.

I did have a few problems, mainly that inputting customer and supplier information is harder and takes longer than it should. Also the price is slightly off putting - don't get me wrong it will save you money in the long run as saves you having to run to the accountant all the time - but for a small business or slow trader the software is a bit over kill.

Nevertheless for any newbie or those who are self employed QuickBooks offer plenty of useful tools. It will make the paperwork of your business that bit easier and maybe even drum up more business.