Platform: PCVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This programme was easy to install, although the actual process took 10 to 15 minutes.

It's easy to set up individual accounts and the process for entering data is straightforward. The program can produce all the documentation that you might need for a small business.

However for those who need a very basic accounting system for very small-scale operations, even this system may be too sophisticated for your needs. For example, all income transactions have to be reconciled with an invoice or a sales receipt generated by the program. In my basic system this is an unnecessary burden.

If you are operating a small operation (as in my case, where income and expenditure never goes beyond 4 figures in the course of a year) you are unlikely to need all the features of this program.

But that is not to say that this program is no good. For some small businesses this could be an ideal starter for IT accounting. It has a very good range of features, including:
Invoice creation
Sales receipts
Bank deposits
Recording of cheques, ATM withdrawals, debit card purchases or electronic fund transfers
Bills and payments
Reports
Profit and loss.

One omission is the lack of a user guide/manual: there isn't even one on the CD. There is one online at [...] , but you will need to download this to your hard drive if you cannot guarantee an internet connection (e.g. when on the move).
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 12 November 2013
Costco are offering this for £99+vat throughout November 2013.

Intuit state the new method of calculating VAT as an accuracy benefit, however upgraders (from 2006 and previous) are forced to re-create their invoice templates from scratch. The changes in the way VAT is calculated will prevent you from keeping your invoices looking how they did previously. Having a more accurate VAT calculation outweighs this, but I don't see why it isn't possible to show VAT on a line by line basis as it was in the 2006 version.

The import from 2006 to 2014 was painless, apart from having to re-create invoices. I heard that the import to previous versions was pretty awful, but I had no issues. Please bear in mind that I have a relatively simple company and I did not use the multicurrency facility. My company file was less than 100mb (16mb to be precise) and took 8 minutes to import on an i7 with 8gb +SSD on Win7 64bit. Didn't take me long, but that isn't that fast for such a small file, so it might take you longer.

The built in reports are good, as is the help, although it strikes me that this really isn't that different from 2006. I think I would have been disappointed had I upgraded to an earlier version than 2014, given the apparent lack of new features. Don't get me wrong, there are some new things here, some of which are very nice, and the interface change won't leave you feeling unfamiliar, but I can imagine this being quite a painful upgrade for some (if you have lots of templates) for relatively little reward overall. I really only upgraded because of OS upgrade from XP to W7.

I may well be underestimating what's going on 'under the bonnet', but from a user's perspective, this really does feel like upgrading to next year's iPhone. It looks different, but after the effort of importing, it doesn't do much more. New users will love it, whilst previous owners will be somewhat underwhelmed. I cannot imagine why anyone who started with 2008 or above would bother at the price point.

For everything I've said, the other side of the coin is that they haven't tried to fix what isn't broken, and that's commendable. However, there needs to be a cheaper upgrade path. Not much has changed in nearly a decade, and if I had paid the full PC World £299 price I would be feeling pretty upset.
Platform: PCVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
As always QuickBooks is the software to get for any small business - we were using the 2013 version and I was curious to see if the upgrade would be vastly better and indeed it is mainly for the invaluable Flat Rate VAT which makes life easier. The interface is simple and you don't need to be majorly account minded to use this. It does all the work and saves you a fortune on accountants fees!
The interface is clear, precise and makes it easy to navigate around, this is definitely the version to get - I find the basic version wasn't enough even for a very small business but this contains everything you need and more at a bargain price.
Easy to install and hasn't affected my computers performance despite being an older model.
Fantastic all round, worth every penny, lets you put your feet up while it does all the work!
on 2 February 2014
Beware of compatibility issues with MS Office 2013, especially outlook 2013 causing crashing when emailing invoices.
Also disappointed that the sync between Outook and Quick-books no longer works.

Apart from this its a very comprehensive accounting SW. Still trying to get my head around all the features and I hope and fully expect in time the issues listed above will be fixed in time,
Platform: PCVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
QuickBooks Pro 2014 is the latest accounting software from company Intuit, which has been developed "to make accounting simple and help you be more organized and efficient."

It offers a range of features including:

- The ability to create custom invoices
- VAT calculator with easy return figures
- Stock control in various forms
- Allows you to use different and multiple currencies
- Tools to track sales, profits and predictions

The software claims to be able to do this even if users have no accounting knowledge. For the most part this is true as QuickBooks is both easy to use and easy to learn (while the actual layout of the software may take a short time for users to fully follow and understand.) It has the added benefit of giving users the chance to be able to carry out all their accounting needs from a single software suite (with seamless import of data from Excel), without having to switch back and forward between Excel, Publisher and Word for example.

Being able to handle multiple currencies has a lot of benefits to businesses that use more than just pounds. It automatically checks and sets the exchange rate, while showing you at a glance any rate fluctuations which may affect profit.

Another useful feature is the email tracking system, if your business is email heavy this allows you to see at a glace who said what and when and to who. The software comes with plenty of tutorials (for those who haven't used QuickBooks before) these are worth a watch as they are pretty useful.

I did have a few problems, mainly that inputting customer and supplier information is harder and takes longer than it should. Also the price is slightly off putting - don't get me wrong it will save you money in the long run as saves you having to run to the accountant all the time - but for a small business or slow trader the software is a bit over kill.

Nevertheless for any newbie or those who are self employed QuickBooks offer plenty of useful tools. It will make the paperwork of your business that bit easier and maybe even drum up more business.
on 5 August 2014
It's great software and really easy to use. Without using any of the help screens, I quickly extracted a detailed P&L and ETB from it. Why only 4 stars then? Because I began my relationship with Intuit on the phone to their helpline for an hour, after the software refused to load. They blamed Amazon for giving me the wrong passcode. Whatever the reason, I almost lost the will to live as my case was escalated slowly within Intuit's call centre - but luckily, David (5 stars to him!) sorted everything out.
on 16 July 2015
This accounts software is superbe. I have used it for many years in various charitable settings. Its now available as a standalone piece of software for approx £100. I think this is excellent value and prefer it to the on-line version. In comparision with the software from Sage Accounts the accounts file is a single file which can so easily be backed up simply by making a copy to another folder. The backed-up file can then be tested to make sure the backup is OK. Sage Accounts, by comparison, is comprised of many files which makes a simple backup without their backup program almost impossible. And having done a backup you can't test the backup because you are allowed to use only one accounts file. You use the backup by copying it back over the original; and if your backup has been corrupted you have then lost both your master file and your backup. Crazy?
Personally I think that QuickBooks is easier to use than Sage but I acknowledge that one espouses what one is used to. I have found QuickBooks to be reliable
on 3 August 2014
Despite some comments to the contrary, I found the software easy to install in place of my 2013 Cloud version of QB Premium (which became cost prohibitive at renewal).
The updates to R7 are easily found on the Intuit website, and loaded effortlessly within a couple of minutes.
Recommend for the small business with minimal reporting requirements.
on 31 July 2014
This is my right hand in my business. Don't know what I was going to do with out it. Very easy to use as soon as you get use to it. I am impressed. And the strange thing is that software like this one usually cost a fortune. This one is the best , cost the less, and work so smooth. Never had a problem with it until today.
on 27 May 2014
Had 3 different sets of download keys from Amazon - none worked. Eventually had to buy the physical disk.

The download version is also 2014 pro R3, the current version is R5, so even if this works you will have to download 400Mb download to update to the latest version.

Amazon quickly refunded the difference in cost but it was not worth the hassle - just buy the physical disks.