Top critical review
50 of 53 people found this helpful
Contrary to the product description this phone cover IS NOT COMPATIBLE with the Sony charging dock.
on 10 October 2014
I do not normally write reviews, but thought I ought to post because the product description is misleading and I wanted other potential customers to be better informed than I was.
The product isnt bad, the carbon fibre effect looks nice but is made of an average quality one colour pvc type material. I think this is acceptable given the price range. The crystal/plastic holder works well and keeps the phone securely fastened in the case. The material on the inside of the cover is a nice feeling woven effect rubberized material and I can see this giving the screen adequate protection. The flap at the front does not sit flush when shut, it will always "pop open" by about 10 to 20mm but again no big problem there I didnt want an unsightly clasp anyway. The case does allow multiple viewing angles when the phone is landscape - but I suspect calling it a "genius" piece of design is a little like me saying "my ability to fit two entire digestive biscuits in my mouth at once is a work of evolutionary genius, marking me as obviously genetically superior to the rest of the human race". Fair enough though, what is a little hyperbole between friends eh ?.
What I do take issue with is the following point. This is why the product isnt really useable for me, and why Ill be ordering the official Sony one instead.
* "The Roxfit Slimfit Book case is now fully compatible with the official Sony dock - just flip the case open, fold back the front flap and sit your Xperia Z3 Compact in it's dock without having to remove any part of the case."
This statement simply IS NOT TRUE AT ALL. The Sony official dock comes with two adapter plate types for the Z3 Compact (the other two are for the Z3 full fat version), marked "34A" and "34B". The Roxfit Slimline standing book case fits in neither. The crystal case clasps have a semi-circular cut out which allows access to the magnetic charging point on the Z3 Compact, however the cut out is not large enough - the crystal plastic fouls the charging dock, and as a result the phone cannot be pushed home into the dock and will not charge.
For the avoidance of doubt I have tried the following:
1) using the correct adapter 34A. Does not fit
2) using the adapter 34B (meant for use with a Z3 compact in a case). Still does not fit.
3) using the Z3 full fat adapters 43A or 43B. These do not fit the Z3 Compact themselves they are too small.
4) taking out all adapter inserts from the Sony charging dock. The Z3, with the Roxfit case on it, WILL then fit into the dock, and will charge, but it simply flaps about like an overly drunk giraffe attempting to negotiate a set of stairs and will fall out of the dock given half a chance. It is also at risk of damaging the magnetic charging pins with no adapter to guide/seat it properly.
If you are happy to charge your Z3 compact using the micro USB plugged directly into the phone this product will be fine (although it is of "average quality" rather than "premium quality" as advertised/stamped on the box, it is however not an expensive product). If you intend to use this with the Sony Dock as the product details suggest you can, then you will be disappointed.