Shop now Cloud Drive Photos Shop Amazon Fire TV Shop now Shop Clothing clo_fly_aw15_NA_shoes Shop All Shop All Amazon Fashion Shop Fire HD 6 Shop Kindle Voyage Shop Now Shop now

Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
McAfee obviously do no have environmental concerns. There's no physical disc inside this package, just a card to verify a software download. In a world of cloud storage I guess this is the way forward, but why exactly do we need the box if that is the case? It's not even like it's in a DVD Amaray case that you can recycle. It means you need your laptop/computer to be connected to the Internet for that to happen instead of just installing from a CD or USB.

The software is as reliable as ever with McAfee, it ain't the best out there but it's good at what it does in terms of parental controls, firewall, and dead software clean-up (which I really needed). Once it's up and running it's non-intrusive and provides security and safety without you even knowing that it's operating. The package does work with PC and MAC, but MAC only gets the Internet security and none of the extras (MACS are not as prone to Internet danger anyway).
VINE VOICEon 26 February 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This package continues to be great value and totally safe. I am personally convinced that there is no product on the market in this category that will give you a safer experience of computing. Anti-virus, firewall, anti-spam, anti-spyware -all are taken care of with McAfee's expertise and reputation behind it.

The only reason I haven't given 5 stars (and I would have proffered 4.5) is that the user interface is neither friendly or modern. Offering the same user interface screen as McAfee Total Protection, it seems poor compared with previous versions and certainly behind Kaspersky and Norton. Having said that, the idea is that you shouldn't be looking at it all the time, and the real plus is the speed it works at and the limited difference it makes to the speed of your pc.

Some people will ask what is the difference between this product and McAfee Total Protection? The answer is not a lot - primarily the latter offers data encryption as an added level of security on your machine. If you want to encrypt then pay the small difference, otherwise get this product.

This product has the added advantage of being able to be used on a Mac

My advice is don't mess around with unheard of brands. You know McAfee is safe and secure, so just buy it.
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Well the twist is that the software runs on both a Mac and Windows machine so it covers two bases which is good plus the interface is more or less identical. No doubt anti-virus software is vital for Windows machines. I'm less certain about this for Macs and have never discovered a virus on any of my Macs. Better safe than sorry though.

Others have commented on the lack of a CD contained in the pack but with fewer and fewer machines having DVD readers I think this makes sense. I only have a rather old PC that has the capability to use a DVD. The software seems to do the job though I have a feeling that all the main stream anti-virus software will provide the protection you need.

The only problem I have with McAfee is that I have recurrent problems trying to register new software. I find the registration system clunky and am often asked to pay for the product I have a registration code for! Installation of this software was no different so a star is dropped for this. I wish they'd wipe their database and just let users install the software rather than wanting your details registered so they can sell you more products in the future.

Overall a reasonable choice of software especially for Mac and PC users.
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I thoroughly trust McAfee to keep my PCs secure and virus free while browsing.

A friend kept boasting that he did not need anti-virus software on his MAC as there were no viruses 'in the wild' for MACs. Then he caught one! He had to take it to a MAC specialist to be cleaned.

This McAfee package would have protected his MAC as well as my PC and laptop.

Although it works with a MAC, it is just the anti-virus suite.

On my PC, it is the full package including Firewall and virtual keyboard. I love the virtual keyboard when logging onto my bank's website. My key presses cannot be intercepted.

I was pleased that McAfee have simplified the user interface. Previous versions of Kaspersky internet security had become quite intimidating. I run a resource monitoring program on my windows sidebar. There was no increase in resource usage after installing this software, excellent.
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
When I first started using a home PC (which was many, many years ago) most viruses arrived onto your computer via floppy disks, especially third party floppies and those copied from computer to computer, they were fairly easy to remove by either deleting various
pieces of code or by purchasing either Norton Securities or McAfee and installing them onto your computer via floppy disks.

Then with the advent of internet access more and more threats to your PC became widespread and the security of your data became more precarious. Internet Security programs were launched by various companies (the most well known being Norton's and McAfee), whichever one of these giants you started with usually meant that you would stick with them throughout the years purchasing and installing the many upgrades and new programs as they became available.

I was a McAfee user then and now, so I was pleased to trial and review this latest program McAfee Internet Security Dual Protection for Mac and Windows 2014. Not being a Mac user I can only review the Windows element.

The first thing I tried after installing was the quickclean software which helps to remove the clutter from your pc, this certainly seemed to do the job it was designed for. I was suitably impressed with the impressive security software which automatically scans your emails, internet and files to protect you against threats like viruses and Trojans. Any suspicious-looking material is blocked thanks to the Active Protection to keep your computer secure. Equally impressive is the two-way firewall, and safe searching icons that let you know when a website is safe to click on. Top marks must be given for McAfee's anti-bot protection system which prevents your information being sent to cyber criminals.

All in all McAfee Internet Security Dual Protection is exactly what you would expect from a top name in the war against cyber threats to home computer users. Easy to install, simple to use and does the job perfectly.
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I've had quite a few teething problems with this McAfee anti-virus and I'm still sitting on the fence a bit about whether I'm going to keep it on my office PC or not. It's almost, but not quite, more trouble than it's worth.

When I first installed it, the PC ground to a halt for a couple of years. McAfee claimed it wasn't scanning anything ("honest guv") yet the PC went from being perfectly fast to barely responding at all, with no apparent way of stopping it. After leaving it alone for a few hours, it managed to sort itself out, so hopefully that was just part of some special initial scan that the software just didn't want to tell me about.

Some bits of the protection have had to go through. I disabled the plug-in that's intended for use with Mozilla Thunderbird email software, because it made Thunderbird grind to a complete halt- every time I clicked 'Write' to start a new email, Thunderbird would freeze for a couple of minutes before a new email window would appear. Why do I have to have a virus scan when I start a new blank email anyway? So that got disabled promptly. I then found it had done even further damage to Thunderbird, as for the very short time I'd had it installed, the software had decided to move almost all my incoming mail- including lots of perfectly legitimate emails from friends- into a special McAfee Anti Spam folder which was hidden towards the bottom of my archive folder list and quite hard to find. So that was unimpressive.

The fact that I had to uninstall Microsoft Security Essentials in order for the McAfee product to work was a little bit worrying. I know Microsoft aren't always the quickest off the block when it comes to security but I'm not convinced that the McAfee product was going to make my PC any more secure than Security Essentials was doing.

So there have been quite a few niggles. Apart from those though, it *appears* to be behaving itself OK now. The messages that pop up whenever a new external drive is plugged in are not too intrusive and it doesn't appear (now I've disabled the email elements) to slow down my PC noticeably. Luckily I haven't had a virus in the last few weeks either, so as for its effectiveness in fighting threats, well hopefully it's good, but who can tell until it's too late?

Anti-virus software will normally get a bit of a bad rap, because most of the time people notice it is because it's not doing it's job properly (slowing your PC down, or blocking important emails), so I'm going to be a little generous and say 3 stars for this product in the hope that, after the initial problems, it will hopefully now just sit there and do its job.
VINE VOICEon 29 May 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
It took over an hour to install this for one reason or another - it's a slow, clunky procedure. All the box contains is a card with a code number, so I don't really see the point of it. I installed it on a Windows 98 system and everything appeared to work. However, I have little confidence in it as a product. It claims high rates of detection but these aren't backup with any evidence to support them.

Denis Technology Labs rate it poorly in recent " real-world" testing. It's an expensive product and I just don't think it's money that can be justified when "free" solutions from other vendors have higher detection rates. The Denis Labs testing is accepted as authoritative and is publicly available. [...]

I will be removing it and will be removing it asap and replacing it with What Denis Labs say are the better products "The most accurate programs were Kaspersky Internet Security 2014, Norton Internet Security and ESET Smart Security 7, all of which won our AAA award in this test."

One thing that did shock me were the Microsoft Security Essentials figures for Windows 7 - so low that they are used as a base line. I've used MSE on Windows 98 in the past very successfully but the transition to Windows 7 hasn't been effective - a fact which is born out by several viruses that have got through, to be detected by other software. I've subsequently switched to Comodo Antivirus.

Finally, if you do install McAfee, it defaults to a continuous payment system which you might like to cancel.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 24 May 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
As would be expected, this internet security suite offers real time protection against viruses, spyware etc being downloaded onto your computer and also offers regular automatic updates and file scanning. I know some people have reported issues installing the software on their computers (this will be a potential issue with any software, as it may conflict with other programs, specific to that user) however I can report that my installation was seamless.

Once installed, there isn't much more for the user to do, as the software is automatically set up to check for updates and scan for threats on a regular basis. There are also a number of other tools included in this security suite, such as a vulnerability scanner (which checks for out of date software, although found nothing on my computer) and file cleaner (which deletes unnecessary files which may affect system performance).

With other versions of this product, I have noted that the packaging has been significantly reduced (being only a CD in a cardboard sleeve) which is a huge improvement on the CD, in a plastic case, inside an unnecessarily large box! However, for some reason, the 1 PC plus 1 Mac version still comes inside the large cardborad box, filled with not much other than air - strange.

From my experience of this product, I haven't come across any particular problems, however McAfee has had a poorer reputation than that of some of its rivals in recent years, hence the reason I reduced my rating by one star.
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
As many have noted, there is no physical product within the box, only a couple of cards with download codes. I can understand the need to have a boxed product as it needs to compete for shelf space with other AV products; that said an internet purchase could dispense with the box altogether, though without a physical product I'm not sure this would be available on Amazon.

As to the product: download and installation are very easy; at least they were on my Windows 8 machine. It only took a few minutes and everything was set up with little fuss.

An initial run found a couple of trojans that AVG had missed, though I tend to find this is always the case when swapping from one AV to another. My computer does seem a little slower for a few minutes after start up, however, in general, I've noticed little, or no, adverse slow down over AVG.

McAfee will also protect you from visiting unsecure or suspicious sites (unless you really want to) and has parental controls; this last feature I haven't used as my four-year-old isn't allowed to access the internet on their own.

Having cross-platform AV seems like a good idea, users with both Windows and Mac devices can find one solution for both of their devices.
VINE VOICEon 4 May 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I think this is as good as McAfee Total Security since the additional features in Total Security just hogs resources and adds very little value. This one has performed well on a Windows 8 based PC with moderate RAM (2GB) and Processing power (Intel 3.2GHz). I had to remove Bit Defender IS on a PC with similar specs so I am happy to have put this one as it does not hog resources and the PC boots in good time and computing is smooth.

It's interface is good as it's not overly busy. The modules are easy to configure and it's easy to know PC security status as they are clearly shown in the window. It also shows if there are problems thru the icon on the Notification area. So far I have not had a significant malware infection but for malicious and PUP (Potential Unwanted Program) that it has managed to detect as having nefarious intentions, you know those annoying toolbars that provide incessant unwanted Ads.

So far so good, so I recommend this to people with computers that connect to the internet and are heavy users of the net. It has a two way firewall and a URL advisor which gives web links either a clean bill of health or will warn you of infected web links.