Shop now Learn more Shop now Shop Black Friday Deals Week in Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Amazon Fire TV Shop now DIYED Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Paperwhite Listen in Prime Shop Now Shop now

Format: Blu-rayChange

on 1 June 2015
I didn't like this at first, but I've re-watched it a couple of times and now I really like it. What you have to accept straight off is that ALL half-hour comedies which attempt to transfer to 90 min movies suffer for it, and they necessarily have to make changes to the pace and which characters are used and how. On my third watching I've begun to really appreciate all the small jokes which are really rammed in everywhere they can go, too many to recall.

One criticism is that the beginning isn't very strong. There's good bits, but overall it probably would have helped with a few stronger jokes just to get it going, because there are some really good moments later on.

Coogan shows his strong acting ability, and he can be very subtle. His stress-nose-whine makes him sound like a wounded dog when he has that bust up with Lynne, which is a nice touch. Another subtle but hilarious bit I only got on the third watching was when he was regaling someone about his recent sexual encounter and his narrative goes from giddy and immature to a little melancholic and then tragic when he seems to realise to himself that he didn't know his own mother, and then cuts himself off.

If you're a Partridge fan and watched this once and thought it was crap, I recommend having a couple of cans and watching it again and then perhaps again. I have found it rewarding to do so, and I'm sure I'll watch it at least once or twice more. It's good, and in places brilliant.
on 12 March 2015
Confession time.... Having never seen the tv show this wasn't high on the must watch list. However with good critical reviews and generally good word of mouth I was pleased when the opportunity to watch it came up.

Whilst not entirely my sense of humour there was a lot of entertainment to be had. As you all know by now Alan finds himself in a pickle when an disgruntled ex-employee decides to take revenge on the radio studio that sacked him. Holding his old colleagues hostage Alan is tasked to calm him down and bring the situation to an end.

Cue endless mishaps and dodgy quips as Alan uses the situation to bolster his flagging career more than making sure his friends make it out in one piece. The jokes come thick and fast and are generally well written and witty. There are moments where it feels like things are done just for a crude laugh such as Alan losing his trousers at one point, but you can't help but snigger at his misfortunes.

Overall generally a funny film. If you like Alan Partridge then I am sure this will be well up your street. For everyone else this is an entertaining, funny film
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
Steve Coogan plays Alan Partridge, a forty-something Norfolk radio presenter, who has hugely questionable social skills and a complete lack of diplomacy or tact when interviewing his guests. His small, local radio station is being taken over by a huge, global media corporation, Goredale Media, and making a lot of the station staff redundant in the process. One of the co-presenters, a feisty, fifty-something Irish chap named Pat Farrell, doesn't take too kindly to getting the boot, and takes the staff hostage at gunpoint and armed to the teeth with explosives and ammunition.
Alan soon finds himself caught in the middle of the hostage situation, and liaises with the local police force and Scotland Yard to try to bring the situation under control. The gunman Pat insists that Alan should act as the go between for the hostages and the authorities, and Alan unwittingly blunders his way into the centre of the drama...
Unlike in the wonderful Alan Partridge TV series, where characters like Alan's personal assistant Lynn, the hotel handyman Michael, and the Ukrainian girlfriend, feature very heavily, here they have much less prominent roles or else they don't feature at all, which is very disappointing if you're a big Alan Partridge fan like me. Equally bad is that Alan's character in this movie, somehow seems much less campy and deliciously foot in mouth than he is in the TV show, which is quite a let down. The shining brilliance of the TV show largely came from Alan's staggeringly inept bedside manner as a chat show host, but here that hilariously awful aspect of his character is strangely muted.
This is by no means a bad film, but it really suffers for comparison with the exceptionally funny TV show. Fawlty Towers never made the transfer to the big screen and it's debatable whether Basil Fawlty's character would have translated well to a full-length movie. I don't think that Alan Partridge really works in a 90 minute film, especially without the essential back up of his likeable TV chums. As somebody who is a huge fan of Alan Partridge, and owns all the shows on DVD and audiobooks, I so wanted to love this film, but it didn't give me a single belly laugh or even a titter. Sadly, it's a 2 star film really, but as a fan I couldn't quite bring myself to vote such a low score for the brilliant Steve Coogan.
Thank you very much for taking the time to read this review.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
Steve Coogan’s Alan Partridge is one of the greatest comic creations of the past 20 years or so. I always enjoy him, but if the truth be known, I preferred the “monster” of “The Day Today” and “Knowing Me, Knowing You” (both on radio and TV) to the more “rounded” creation of “I’m Alan Partridge” and this film.
TV sitcoms transferred to the big screen rarely work; there is usually a broadening and cheapening of effects which invariably offers diminishing returns. This is not quite the case here, where, the occasional “slow” passage notwithstanding, it actually works as a film. This is in no small part thanks to the excellent supporting cast and, in particular, the performance of Colm Meaney in the pivotal role of Pat Farrell; he is by turns funny, touching, dangerous and entirely believable. Other notable cameos come from Phil Cornwell as another DJ on the skids and two favourites from the TV series, the wonderful Felicity Montagu as Lynn and Simon Greenall as Michael, who gets disappointingly little screen time.

Having said all that, I have to reiterate my preference for the earlier incarnations of Partridge to the more rounded character here; it is no surprise, perhaps, that the scenes that work most consistently well are those set in the studio with Alan and his Sidekick Simon, amusingly played by the comedian Tim Key, and the moment when Alan seizes the opportunity to indulge in banter with the assembled crowd of onlookers.

To sum up. Did I enjoy the film? Yes. Did it make me laugh? Yes (the scene where Alan loses his trousers made me weep with laughter). Was Steve Coogan brilliant as ever as Alan? Of course. Would I recommend it to Alan-lovers? I don’t need to! Would I recommend it to anyone looking for an enjoyable, funny movie? Absolutely!
on 5 January 2014
I have been a huge fan of AP since he was first created on "On The Hour" I own everything Alan, from book to CD and DVD and I quote him daily.
I had high hopes for the movie and don't get me wrong it is very entertaining, just not as entertaining as the TV series. Almost every TV episode of AP are classics and hilarious.
The problem is that Alan lives his world in a shoe box and it is his mundane life and his outlook on the world that makes him ideal for TV. Just watch "Mid Morning Matters" for example, every episode takes place in a small room with Alan being a DJ and that is where Alan is at his best and it is one of the funniest DVD's out of all the series.
Now to get it to work on the big screen you can't have Alan just being a dork for nearly 2 hours, you have to create a huge story around it. That's the problem, Alan's world is too small to have a lot of attention. For it to be funny you need Alan to just be Alan and not for him to support a huge cast and a massive plot line. A movie is simply too BIG for Alan's world. He is at his best and the funniest when he is doing his DJ slot or bouncing off Lynn and Michael in his narrow minded world.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 10 August 2014
Disappointing really. Sets off in a similar vain to previous shows in his series that I love. However just fails to deliver on every level IMO in comparison to earlier shows. Hardly laughed to be honest. Still - mildly entertaining - not just one of Alan's finest moments in my opinion.
on 20 August 2014
I love Steve Coogan, but I don't think this is one of his best films. Not as funny as I had been led to believe.
Steve Coogan can write so much than this.
I knew I wouldn't watch it twice, so gave it jumble sale
on 7 January 2014
Hello readers,

Ok for anyone out there who is a fan of Alan partridge and hasent seen this film yet I ask you what are you waiting for its brilliant I just brought
It on DVD last weekend and so far I've watched it twice and I laughed all the way through this masterpiece of a film and the second time I watched it I was howling with laughter all the way through it and I can't wait to watch it again, Steve coogan is still brilliant comedy writer and this soon to be comedy classic film prooves it I won't go on to much about the film but if you like Classic Alan partridge then I think it's safe to say that you will love this film so go on buy it today thank you for reading my review
on 11 January 2015
I thought I liked Steve Coogan but I found this film to be very disappointing.i only laughed a few times throughout & they were not loud ones! reading the reviews this was just not my sense of humour.
on 4 January 2014
Watched this on a BA flight after reading others who praised it highly. As a film in its own right it is funny and with an engaging plot if a little tenuous. The problem is that Alan is too sympathetic and therefore stops being Alan. I guess Coogan wants to be seen as is an actor now and therefore the old annoying and embarrassing Alan is lost. That's show business he had to go.

For Coogan to do OAP any justice he needs to get him back in the TV studio and confront him with a barrage of difficult guests showing his lack of intellect, his sexual issues, his faux pc credentials and his ability to engage in gross professional misconduct.