on 21 June 2012
I regularly fly with Ryanair and have been looking for the perfect hand luggage bag which will allow me to pack enough luggage for a week, thus avoiding the extortinate fees they charge for checked-in luggage...The Cabin Max backpack is, in my opinion, the perfect solution.

If you are considering buying this backpack, I thought it may help to give you a better idea of how much it can actually hold. Here is a list of what I packed for my latest week long trip abroad:

Waterproof jacket,1 pair cargo pants, 1 pair of jeans, 3 pairs of leggings, 2 hoodies, 5 vest tops, 3 jumpers/tops, 2 cardigans, pair of PJs, undies and socks, pair of walking boots, 2 pairs of ballet pump style shoes, toiletries, make up and hair straighteners. There was still room to fit my small cross-body bag, enabling me to meet Ryanair's strict "One item of hand luggage only" rule. All of this gear still weighed in under the 10kg allowance and the bag fitted easily in and out of the Ryanair luggage gauge at the airport.

The zip up pocket on the front is perfect for keeping flight tickets, passport and other important items close to hand.

The bag is comfortable to carry - it has padded straps which can easily be adjusted to suit the individual.

The bag looks well made and the zips have a solid heavy duty feel to them.

I highly recommend this bag, it is well worth the money. I can't imagine travelling without it now!
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 22 September 2010
Ordered this before taking three low-cost flights and so glad I did. It's easy to pack a week's worth of holiday stuff including a laptop and travel documents in this bag. I've also got the Dussel Cabin Backpack which is the same size/price but has better padding for laptops and definitely worth a look.

Originally I was intending to buy a trolley style wheelie case, but having read the other reviews decided this bag would be a better option. The advantages are threefold. Firstly, this bag totally compresses when you're not using it so takes up little space for storage. Second, the bag is a lot lighter than a hard case trolley, and third, a wheelie case does not have a pocket in the front for documents. Important because Easyjet are now getting really strict about the 'one bag only' rule. Someone in front of me in the queue got asked to find room in her bag for the handbag she was carrying, which involved unzipping her entire case. Nightmare!

The only criticism I would make of this bag is that it's so spacious that you'll undoubtably end up carrying some of your travel companions' stuff that they can't fit in their own bag. Or otherwise, you'll take more stuff than you would have otherwise and the bag will be heavy on your back.

Overall though, this is definitely a smart choice for travellers. Thumbs up!
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 15 April 2010
A great product at the price. With some well known budget airlines now charging for hold baggage but lifting weight restrictions on cabin bags, the Cabin Max does what it says and allows you to make full use of the available space whilst staying within the size limits. Once loaded the straps are tensioned to condense the bag to the required size. There are lots of inner pockets and compartments to stow toiletries and possibly wet clothing. On a week long stay in Spain I was able to fit everything I needed into the Cabin Max and still have room for a tea pot and baby clothes. The lack of wheels and pull out handle reduces weight and was not a problem as the shoulder straps are perfectly adequate. The Cabin Max is excellent value for money.
2424 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 20 March 2012
I bought this bag for my recent trip to Tenerife. I managed a complete week, with clothes, make-up, hair styler etc all in this backpack. And it saved £70 each way on a suitcase!! Highly recommend
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 5 July 2011
Unfortunately the Cabin Max Backpack Flight bag I purchased was very poor quality. First the seam split open the complete length of the small front pocket where I was keeping travel documents. Second the adjoining seam started to split open thus allowing valuables in the internal zipped mesh pocket to slip out. Third the seam along the top into the main compartment started to open.
I have only used the bag a few times, it was never filled and as I was carrying valuables and personal effects it was always treated gently.
A big disappointment.
review image review image review image
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 19 March 2013
Cabin Max Backpack Flight Approved Hand Luggage 44 litres

March 2011. I bought the cabin max backpack to have a larger backpack than my normal day pack, and it came at an attractive price. I have to say that for the €25 that I paid for it I'm happy with the purchase.

The design of the backpack appears to be oriented towards being simple, spacious, light weight and inexpensive, and in terms of this criteria it succeeds. If you want a highly technical backpack with a sophisticated suspension system and lots and lots of pockets and other features, as well as the highest, most durable quality, then this is not the backpack for you. It's simple, basic, cheap and gets the job done. The build quality is decent, but less than that of top brands. I would say that it is a bit better than the minimal quality of something like the Amazon basics camera backpack, and generally a bit better than similar bags of a similar price range. The zippers are well made, and the fabric is reasonably good. Probably the weakest part of the backpack is that the shoulder straps are not especially well padded, and they do not give the impression of being overly strong. However, I have several times carried very heavy loads, consisting of many full glass bottles and jars filled to the brim, while grocery shopping, and the cabin max backpack did just fine.

I would not hesitate to take this on a long distance plane trip if I needed it. If it can handle a full load of heavy groceries, it should be able to handle the clothes, toiletries and shoes on a normal trip. I would however, hesitate to take this on an around the world journey on planes, buses and trains, simply because I have some doubts about how well it would hold up to the rigors and demands of extensive and serious traveling stresses, and also because I would want a more technical backpack for such a demanding journey.

This backpack is designed for those who need a larger than normal day pack, and for those who need an airline carry-on bag. It holds quite a lot and should fall within airline maximum size regulations. In addition, it is light and inexpensive. Overall, I think it is a decent buy.

Note: I have bought two of these backpacks and the first one was made of better materials than the second. I liked the first, but the second backpack a less attractive option due to the lighter quality.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 6 September 2010
Firstly, it's very light. Approx 750 grams, which is far lighter than any other comparable-sized bag that I own. So the bag itself will not weight you down, and will leave over 90% of your 10 kilogram weight allowance free for its contents.

Although it may take several trips to be certain of this, the material and the construction look very sturdy, despite the light weight. It seems to be made of some type of tough cloth with some added nylon. The zips have good-sized metal teeth and open and close smoothly.

Apart from the surprisingly-large main compartment, there is a well-planned full-length pocket, with many compartments, and a smaller outer pocket for quick access.

Perhaps to achieve its light weight, the bag itself does not have an especially firm structure or shape by itself, but will partly rely on its contents to give it its shape. The four compression straps on the sides will help to achieve this and prevent a less-than-full bag from being floppy.

The shoulder straps are padded and have a nice curved shape which keep them securely positioned on one's shoulders. Note that, unlike some other bags, the straps do not have a hide-away pocket, but this is not a big issue. The bag itself also has three large padded areas on the back, for added carrying comfort.

Although not in any way ugly, the bag is not especially stylish nor glamourous. So if you're looking to cut a fine figure or make a fashion statement as you stroll into your first-class cabin, then this might not be the bag for you. But if you want a sturdy, functional, light-weight, practical bag, then ... why are you still even reading this review, just go click on "Add to Basket"!
55 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 19 January 2013
We bought one of these and one Düssel Laptop Backpack for Aircraft Cabin 55 X 40 X 20 cm for a trip to Sardinia in January. The main advantage is that you save time and money checking in bags into the hold (Ryanair now charges up to fifty pounds for the privilege). And in terms of carry-on options, a bag like this is good because it frees your hands up to wrestle with passports, print-outs and restaurant trays. You're also not going to get stopped by the "queue police" with a bag on your back; as far as I can tell only people with wheelie cases seem to get harassed.

The two bags differ mainly in terms of weight. Whereas the Cabinmax is ultra-light, it's not waterproof. The Düssel bag provides a lot more padding and protection (actually, it's designed to protect laptops), and is also water resistant. However, it is quite a bit heavier and therefore harder to store.

Another difference between these products is the size - CabinMax can be totally stuffed and still not be over the size limit whereas you'd have to be a bit more careful with the Düssel bag because the outer dimensions are the maximum allowed. Price-wise I'm afraid Düssel wins hands down. And the quality of the Düssel bag is actually better in my opinion.

But if you want a lightweight cabin bag that's easy to store and has one main pocket with a few external ones for passports and things, this Cabin Max is great!
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 7 December 2009
For anyone who likes to fly on the cheap using the budget carriers, this is the bag for you. It makes the absolute full use of your carry-on baggage allowance by being made to the permitted size limits in all dimensions and it's really light as well, enabling you to pack over 9 kilograms of kit and caboodle. This bag has pockets where you need them so you can carry and produce your travel documents without having to open the case and a separate larger pocket which is ideal for a modern laptop computer.

Also, if you ever travel alone and want to go to a bar or self service restaurant you will know how difficult it is with a trolley bag. You can't leave your luggage unattended so you have to try and carry a tray with one hand and pull your trolley bag with the other which is difficult to say the least. Wear your luggage on your back and your hands are free to do what you want.

I can pack enough clothes and accessories for a one week holiday with ease with this bag and the savings on checked in luggage are considerable not to mention the time spent queuing to check bags in and the agonizing wait for your bag to come round on the carousel down-route. So next time your see people being stopped at the gate and charged fortunes for an oversized bag, you can gloat knowing you are within the limits and relax in the knowledge that you are being a really savvy traveller.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 21 April 2015
I purchased this item for a single, 12 day trip to Brazil, from which I have just returned. In total I have purchased 4 of these bags from you (we are a family of 4, traveling as a group). This particular bag fell apart. First the interior pocket spilt. Then the section separating the pocket from the main bag split. Then one carry strap broke.

Given the light use (12 days, one holiday), and the inconvenience this caused myself and my family, on what was meant to be a "holiday of a lifetime" I am not only upset that the policy is not to communicate in person, but not to allow a return beyond 30 days - given it is normal to buy luggage a few day, or weeks before you need it........
review image review image review image review image
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...