2,306
Size: Printer With Start Up Inks|Change
Price:£58.35 - £218.49

TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 17 December 2013
After 5 years my much loved Kodak wireless all in one gave up the ghost and I spent a long time reviewing HP, Cannon and Epson printers to replace it. I print little and infrequent, as I do scan and copy, and even though I have no requirement to print from anywhere else other than my pc, I prefer wireless. So basically I want the basics which meant I could exclude a lot of the mid/top range printers for having far too many functions that I would never use together with the high price they command.
The other thing that concerned me was the alleged amount of ink some printers use to clean printer heads when printing is only occasional(The worst being a massive 276% extra!). This lead me to the Canon MG and HP wireless all in one low end range that apparently use only an additional 11% of ink for occasional use. I chose the Canon(purely because I preferred the design)but quickly regretted my choice. The wireless set up was a nightmare (3 hours) and it was only achieved by chance after pressing every available button. The documentation was poor, the function keys and the okay key interchanged constantly which is annoying and the software that installed on my desktop was intrusive and not user friendly. My frustration only heightened when I was asked for a USB cable when attempting to scan and with my patience finally gone I brought the HP.
In comparison this is a breeze! The printer and wireless set up was complete in an amazing 15 minutes and required me to only install the ink cartridges and mains cable. No inputting of network codes and no guessing which key, just a connection to the web and all done by HP. Couldn't have been easier. The only noticeable software to be installed on my pc was a single, very user friendly, printer icon, fabulous again! (To be fair I deselected two other options during setup but this was not an option available with Cannon). The scanning, copy and print are easy to use and printing is good and clear. The only downside for me is that I don't really like the colour (white/cream) or the design, but I am more than happy to compromise on these for the ease of use, easy set up and low ink costs. Hope this helps.
2121 comments| 1,056 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
This was a second printer for me to replace an older HP model I had for years.
The white is quite attractive and makes a change v the normal black printer colour, but that's a minor point the performance is what really counts.

The HP is easy to set up simply pop the CD in and follow the instructions (which are very basic and hard to get wrong) I prefer a wired connection to the desktop but the wireless works very well on this (useful for other devices)
Onto the main printer itself on the top part there are a few buttons and a fairly small LCD which shows the wifi strength and no. of copies. The buttons let you control the wifi, power, and black/colour copy, as well as a low warning indicator for both cartridges.

My quick fire pros and cons.

Pros:
+ Good print quality for both text and photos
+ Excellent bang per buck, low price
+ Built in wifi, connecting is easy and trouble free, also has Wireless Direct Printing (so you don't need to join the wifi network)
+ Apple AirPrint compatible
+ Fairly good build, easy to set up and use
+ Acceptable print speeds (it's no speed demon but fine for this price - around 7ppm at high quality faster draft)
+ Good instant scan quality (like a photocopier)
+ Ink carts are "not chipped" you can re-fill them

Cons:
- Not so easy to scan books (could use a double hinge)
- Scan quality is good for documents, acceptable for photos (for photo scans a dedicated flatbed will do better)
- No slots for media cards, small mono LCD

Size is fairly compact at around 425 mm width and 306 mm depth. Input tray holds around 50-60 sheets of normal A4 paper
Front has an extendable output holder, above that you can flip down the cover to reveal the ink cartridges.

Despite being a lower cost printer HP have managed to deliver one that has very good print output both for text and photos, it's on a par with printers costing quite alot more (but not up to the super fine quality of the officejet range not unexpected ). Text is very clean, crisp and impressive. Photo output is also good with lots of detail and good colour reproduction (watch your colour ink though for larger photos it will go down rapidly) For the low price getting wifi is a part of the appeal too.

Watch the ink use on wifi though people can get carried away so be sure to keep an eye on the kids (I've learnt this the hard way!)

Ink cartridges are the HP301 range which I have for other printers, they are quite low in cost (HP do a combo pack for black and colour) Do note if you are a heavier ink user then the 301XL carts whilst more expensive hold quite a lot more ink and are more cost effecitve longer term. HP unlike some other makers don't chip their carts (it will complain the ink is low), so you can re-fill them yourself and save a small fortune (don't throw the empty ones away either sell them or get them re-filled) THe 2540 is better suited to users who are doing light to moderate home printing, there are better alternatives for small offices or heavy users.

Bar a few minor niggles this printer punches beyond it's price point and a very easy recommendation for those looking for max bang per buck, but with good print output.
1010 comments| 631 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
The HP Deskjet 2540 is a small, easy-to-use printer that works fine for occasional users, like me. It is a three-in-one color inkjet printer, and is a wireless printer. The price is right and should fit into most household budgets. The big point for me is that it allows me to print from mobile devices using ePrint and AirPrint. unable tomprint from smartphone or IPad.

With the HP ePrint app installed on my iPad, the Deskjet 2540 automatically found photos or files, emails, and cloud services. Once you have your file, you just hit "print". The cartridges are in the front and come right out, they're easy to remove and replace. The printer is slow, but that is fine for my printing needs.

The scanner makes a fan noise every time you scan a document, but it's easy to use and includes a number of settings, such as resolution and size, depending on what type of document you're scanning. The brightness and contrast are adjustable, and you can rotate and crop.

For the money, this is an excellent printer for occasional family use. If you have a business or print a lot, look for another model.

Recommended. prisrob 11-27-13
55 comments| 530 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 17 July 2014
So, it's me, Techno Phobe here!

Did my usual and left the printer sitting in it's box for several days while I braced myself for all the inevitable set-up issues.

Upon opening the box I found It came with one double-sided A4 sheet of pictures and symbols to decipher - sigh - problem number one.

There is then an 83 page manual - double sigh - problem number 2.

Shouldn't have worried!.....

The A4 sheet of paper actually made sense, just follow it slowly and logically, don't think you know it all. Then you put the CD in your computer and follow those instructions. They are idiot proof, believe me, if I can do it, anyone can. I did need to temporarily plug the printer into my computer to connect the two, again, the instructions are very clear on whether, when and how you may need to do this. The printer reads your router code from your computer, so no code input is required by you. Haven't needed the manual yet, will keep just in case. Haven't set up on any other PCs yet, can't see that there should be any problems.

And of the 83 page manual, only 6 pages are English - excellent!

(Had one self-inflicted problem; the colour ink registered as empty and I spent some time trying to sort that out. However, it would have helped if I'd removed the protection tape before installing the cartridge. I managed to do so for the black cartridge, obviously couldn't cope with the colour one as well. Can't really lay the blame for that at HP's door.)

In conclusion, given my own inadequacies when it comes to anything IT, I would say buy this machine if you need a decent wireless home printer. Haven't tested the printing in anger yet, but it's started off very well.

I took me about half an hour to set up, excluding my cartridge issues above, and including my very slow pace.

Hope this helps other Techno Phobes out there.
22 comments| 190 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
I think you can't go far wrong for the knock-down price of this printer. I've tried several different makes of printer over the years, and it's HP I keep coming back to. Our family's Epson and Kodak printers suffered from severe ink wastage through clogged print-heads and repeat cleaning cycles. In fact, the Epson ones were already uneconomical due to sheer ink usage during normal printing. Both die after a couple of years when the print heads just give up the ghost. In contrast, our 1997 Deskjet 890C chugs along happily in the corner, even if it does require a bit of persuasion to get it to feed paper nowadays, and my 1995 690C only died after what could only be described as a "traumatic incident" from its point of view. I've had another HP for about 5 years and it's running fine.

So when my Nan needed a new printer, I was amazed to find the cheapest and most popular printer on here (at the time) was this little HP. Although it's firmly in the "budget" price range, its brand name means it's got a lot to live up to. Fortunately, it does the job extremely well. Installation of the software on Windows XP was a doddle - I could have opted for just the driver, but I put the whole software suite on. Software versions for all versions of Windows up to and including Windows 8.1 were available at the time of writing. I haven't checked my Linux machine out, but I'd be very surprised if there wasn't already a Linux driver for it.

It seems relatively well built and has a few handy features like auto turn off (you don't have to set this). You can also set the driver software to be relatively unobtrusive so you don't get constant popup messages or an annoying icon in the system tray like previous printers I've used. Changing cartridges is very easy, although access is a little awkward if you put the printer on a traditional computer trolley (i.e. on a low-down shelf). Printing is exceptionally crisp and clear, and the first thing I noticed was how quiet it was. In fact, although I can hear it, my Nan thinks it's silent. Print speed is also pretty quick - quicker than typical laser printers of 10 or 20 years ago.

A nice added feature is that you can use the printer as a photocopier without even switching your computer on.

Unfortunately the feed and output trays don't hold a lot of paper, but it should be adequate for all but a thesis or novel.

I didn't notice an SD-card slot or anything like that, for printing digital photos directly, but on a 30-quid printer-scanner, you can hardly complain. My Nan certainly wouldn't use it.

I just hope this doesn't guzzle ink or decide to commit hari-kiri too soon - hopefully it will carry on the tradition of its predecessors.
on 12 October 2013
I chose this printer because i did not want to spend much money. The installation was as easy as breathing. Excellent for college use to print coursework and to scan notes. I am completely satisfied by this purchase.
33 comments| 121 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 2 March 2015
Good value for money printer.
key feature I was after was wifi connectivity and airdrop to print for Ipad and iphone.
Read a few online printer reviews and this scored pretty favorably, especially for the price.
Good quality prints, fast enough for our occasional household use, kids homework, etickets printouts etc.. and decent quality photo prints.
Would recommend as a household printer, easy enough to use and ink doesn't seem to be as expensive as some others.
I love this. I've had two expensive printers break down so often they've ended up just taking up valuable space. I badly needed something that would actually work, but I'd become so disenchanted with printers I was ultra-cautious and only tried this because the low price (combined with the good reviews) seemed to merit the gamble. I'm delighted with it. The instructions, so-called, are hopeless. There's a descriptive guide to the various buttons, which doesn't help you to set it up, and a 'quick' guide which is simply a series of pictures, which was about as helpful as a bad mime artiste. But luckily there are online guides that do help, and it's quick and easy to get everything loaded and up and working. It prints very well in colour or black and white, it scans well (you click on your computer to control that), and it copies documents and pictures as well. It's just so easy you can't quite believe it. All I would say is check the price a few times, because it fluctuates: I bought mine from here (February 2014) for £39 - the next day it was £48. But do I recommend it? Absolutely!
I wanted a printer I could set up in a different room from where I used my laptop, an having researched several - and the cost of ink cartridges, chose this one as being good all round value. It's so easy to set up, taking about fifteen minutes to get it all up and running, with no head scratching, shouting or swearing - makes a pleasant change!

The print quality on both black and colour is good, certainly for my non-professional purposes, and the cost of replacement cartridges is reasonable- I don't ever buy genuine ones, by the way as I've found them to be way over-priced, and the alternatives are good. I also like the fact that the colour comes in one cartridge and not three separate ones.

My only quibble with this printer is that it feels flimsy and lacks any sort of weight or substance. This was a nuisance when inserting the cartridges as the pressure needed to insert them kept pushing the printer back across the table - so either hold it firmly at the back or put it against something solid whilst replacing the ink. Other than that I'm really pleased with it, and for the money it is a good buy...PLEASE BE WARNED - READ MY UPDATE!

Update: 1 August 2014
The time has come to replace the ink cartridge, and boy, was I in for a shock. The cartridge I bought fits, but as soon as I clicked "Print" up came a large box telling me that this was an "old style" cartridge and it refused to work! I think this is outrageous of HP; they obviously programme the printer to refuse anything but genuine cartridges. I'm held to ransom by a machine, and will now downgrade my rating to two stars; I would give it one and a half if I could.

Update September 2015
I have come to hate this printer with a passion! Every time it is switched off then on again it wants to print a test page. HP's helpline is as useful as a chocolate teapot. I am now considering donating this printer to the local rubbish tip and buying one that is not to darn picky. I am So disappointed with this, especially as I had a really good HP printer that I brought back from Canada which worked well for many years - unfortunately it won't work with any Windows system beyond Vista. Grrr.

I have now downgraded this, yet again, to 1 star.
2323 comments| 220 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 7 November 2015
Great price, I thought, but when it breaks after a few weeks it's unacceptable. It sits there in a permanent error state. I thought it needed new ink cartridges, due to the flashing ink lights, so I went out and wasted £20 on new HP cartridges. Again, completely unacceptable. I'll be contacting HP and expecting a full refund and a replacement. I've had horrendous problems with them in the past, so I expect neither. I bought one of their laptops in 2006 and it had an LCD which kept cracking due to a design fault - they blamed this on me continuously (rather than their shoddy engineering), and then made up a bizarre excuse that my 1 year guarantee began three months before I'd even bought my laptop!

Avoid at all costs. Hedge your bets with a different, cheap printer. At least that one might last longer than a month!