Shop now Learn more Shop now Shop All Amazon Fashion Shop Suki Ad Campaign Pieces Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Amazon Fire TV Shop now Halloween Pets Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Voyage Listen in Prime Learn more Shop now

4.3 out of 5 stars1,675
Price:£34.99+ £2.99 shipping

This was a second printer for me to replace an older HP model I had for years.
The white is quite attractive and makes a change v the normal black printer colour, but that's a minor point the performance is what really counts.

The HP is easy to set up simply pop the CD in and follow the instructions (which are very basic and hard to get wrong) I prefer a wired connection to the desktop but the wireless works very well on this (useful for other devices)
Onto the main printer itself on the top part there are a few buttons and a fairly small LCD which shows the wifi strength and no. of copies. The buttons let you control the wifi, power, and black/colour copy, as well as a low warning indicator for both cartridges.

My quick fire pros and cons.

+ Good print quality for both text and photos
+ Excellent bang per buck, low price
+ Built in wifi, connecting is easy and trouble free, also has Wireless Direct Printing (so you don't need to join the wifi network)
+ Apple AirPrint compatible
+ Fairly good build, easy to set up and use
+ Acceptable print speeds (it's no speed demon but fine for this price - around 7ppm at high quality faster draft)
+ Good instant scan quality (like a photocopier)
+ Ink carts are "not chipped" you can re-fill them

- Not so easy to scan books (could use a double hinge)
- Scan quality is good for documents, acceptable for photos (for photo scans a dedicated flatbed will do better)
- No slots for media cards, small mono LCD

Size is fairly compact at around 425 mm width and 306 mm depth. Input tray holds around 50-60 sheets of normal A4 paper
Front has an extendable output holder, above that you can flip down the cover to reveal the ink cartridges.

Despite being a lower cost printer HP have managed to deliver one that has very good print output both for text and photos, it's on a par with printers costing quite alot more (but not up to the super fine quality of the officejet range not unexpected ). Text is very clean, crisp and impressive. Photo output is also good with lots of detail and good colour reproduction (watch your colour ink though for larger photos it will go down rapidly) For the low price getting wifi is a part of the appeal too.

Watch the ink use on wifi though people can get carried away so be sure to keep an eye on the kids (I've learnt this the hard way!)

Ink cartridges are the HP301 range which I have for other printers, they are quite low in cost (HP do a combo pack for black and colour) Do note if you are a heavier ink user then the 301XL carts whilst more expensive hold quite a lot more ink and are more cost effecitve longer term. HP unlike some other makers don't chip their carts (it will complain the ink is low), so you can re-fill them yourself and save a small fortune (don't throw the empty ones away either sell them or get them re-filled) THe 2540 is better suited to users who are doing light to moderate home printing, there are better alternatives for small offices or heavy users.

Bar a few minor niggles this printer punches beyond it's price point and a very easy recommendation for those looking for max bang per buck, but with good print output.
88 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 17 December 2013
After 5 years my much loved Kodak wireless all in one gave up the ghost and I spent a long time reviewing HP, Cannon and Epson printers to replace it. I print little and infrequent, as I do scan and copy, and even though I have no requirement to print from anywhere else other than my pc, I prefer wireless. So basically I want the basics which meant I could exclude a lot of the mid/top range printers for having far too many functions that I would never use together with the high price they command.
The other thing that concerned me was the alleged amount of ink some printers use to clean printer heads when printing is only occasional(The worst being a massive 276% extra!). This lead me to the Canon MG and HP wireless all in one low end range that apparently use only an additional 11% of ink for occasional use. I chose the Canon(purely because I preferred the design)but quickly regretted my choice. The wireless set up was a nightmare (3 hours) and it was only achieved by chance after pressing every available button. The documentation was poor, the function keys and the okay key interchanged constantly which is annoying and the software that installed on my desktop was intrusive and not user friendly. My frustration only heightened when I was asked for a USB cable when attempting to scan and with my patience finally gone I brought the HP.
In comparison this is a breeze! The printer and wireless set up was complete in an amazing 15 minutes and required me to only install the ink cartridges and mains cable. No inputting of network codes and no guessing which key, just a connection to the web and all done by HP. Couldn't have been easier. The only noticeable software to be installed on my pc was a single, very user friendly, printer icon, fabulous again! (To be fair I deselected two other options during setup but this was not an option available with Cannon). The scanning, copy and print are easy to use and printing is good and clear. The only downside for me is that I don't really like the colour (white/cream) or the design, but I am more than happy to compromise on these for the ease of use, easy set up and low ink costs. Hope this helps.
1717 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 17 July 2014
So, it's me, Techno Phobe here!

Did my usual and left the printer sitting in it's box for several days while I braced myself for all the inevitable set-up issues.

Upon opening the box I found It came with one double-sided A4 sheet of pictures and symbols to decipher - sigh - problem number one.

There is then an 83 page manual - double sigh - problem number 2.

Shouldn't have worried!.....

The A4 sheet of paper actually made sense, just follow it slowly and logically, don't think you know it all. Then you put the CD in your computer and follow those instructions. They are idiot proof, believe me, if I can do it, anyone can. I did need to temporarily plug the printer into my computer to connect the two, again, the instructions are very clear on whether, when and how you may need to do this. The printer reads your router code from your computer, so no code input is required by you. Haven't needed the manual yet, will keep just in case. Haven't set up on any other PCs yet, can't see that there should be any problems.

And of the 83 page manual, only 6 pages are English - excellent!

(Had one self-inflicted problem; the colour ink registered as empty and I spent some time trying to sort that out. However, it would have helped if I'd removed the protection tape before installing the cartridge. I managed to do so for the black cartridge, obviously couldn't cope with the colour one as well. Can't really lay the blame for that at HP's door.)

In conclusion, given my own inadequacies when it comes to anything IT, I would say buy this machine if you need a decent wireless home printer. Haven't tested the printing in anger yet, but it's started off very well.

I took me about half an hour to set up, excluding my cartridge issues above, and including my very slow pace.

Hope this helps other Techno Phobes out there.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
The HP Deskjet 2540 is a small, easy-to-use printer that works fine for occasional users, like me. It is a three-in-one color inkjet printer, and is a wireless printer. The price is right and should fit into most household budgets. The big point for me is that it allows me to print from mobile devices using ePrint and AirPrint. unable tomprint from smartphone or IPad.

With the HP ePrint app installed on my iPad, the Deskjet 2540 automatically found photos or files, emails, and cloud services. Once you have your file, you just hit "print". The cartridges are in the front and come right out, they're easy to remove and replace. The printer is slow, but that is fine for my printing needs.

The scanner makes a fan noise every time you scan a document, but it's easy to use and includes a number of settings, such as resolution and size, depending on what type of document you're scanning. The brightness and contrast are adjustable, and you can rotate and crop.

For the money, this is an excellent printer for occasional family use. If you have a business or print a lot, look for another model.

Recommended. prisrob 11-27-13
55 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 11 June 2014
If you are looking for an all in one printer than simply prints and scans or makes copies then this is the one for you. It took me 20 seconds to install on my mac, and under 5 minutes to install on my PC (but it was only 3 clicks of the mouse, the CD-ROM does all the work for you). It took my hardly anytime to set it up on the wi-fi and works fantastic. The reason it's cheap is because it does's have the fancy tricks of the other more expensive printers like having multiple trays for different paper, or double sided printing or a multi-touch colour screen. This printer just prints and scans, and it could't do them any better.

I highly recommend this printer
on 2 April 2014
This is a brilliant buy especially for the price. Would definitely recommend. Prompt delivery and works fine. Easy to set up and good size not too big.
on 12 October 2013
I chose this printer because i did not want to spend much money. The installation was as easy as breathing. Excellent for college use to print coursework and to scan notes. I am completely satisfied by this purchase.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 25 January 2014
I wanted a printer I could set up in a different room from where I used my laptop, an having researched several - and the cost of ink cartridges, chose this one as being good all round value. It's so easy to set up, taking about fifteen minutes to get it all up and running, with no head scratching, shouting or swearing - makes a pleasant change!

The print quality on both black and colour is good, certainly for my non-professional purposes, and the cost of replacement cartridges is reasonable- I don't ever buy genuine ones, by the way as I've found them to be way over-priced, and the alternatives are good. I also like the fact that the colour comes in one cartridge and not three separate ones.

My only quibble with this printer is that it feels flimsy and lacks any sort of weight or substance. This was a nuisance when inserting the cartridges as the pressure needed to insert them kept pushing the printer back across the table - so either hold it firmly at the back or put it against something solid whilst replacing the ink. Other than that I'm really pleased with it, and for the money it is a good buy...PLEASE BE WARNED - READ MY UPDATE!

Update: 1 August 2014
The time has come to replace the ink cartridge, and boy, was I in for a shock. The cartridge I bought fits, but as soon as I clicked "Print" up came a large box telling me that this was an "old style" cartridge and it refused to work! I think this is outrageous of HP; they obviously programme the printer to refuse anything but genuine cartridges. I'm held to ransom by a machine, and will now downgrade my rating to two stars; I would give it one and a half if I could.

Update September 2015
I have come to hate this printer with a passion! Every time it is switched off then on again it wants to print a test page. HP's helpline is as useful as a chocolate teapot. I am now considering donating this printer to the local rubbish tip and buying one that is not to darn picky. I am So disappointed with this, especially as I had a really good HP printer that I brought back from Canada which worked well for many years - unfortunately it won't work with any Windows system beyond Vista. Grrr.

I have now downgraded this, yet again, to 1 star.
1919 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 29 October 2014
First of all, I am very glad that I bought this printer for University, as it is so convenient being able to do my own printing as opposed to suffering the tedium, troubles and financial losses of attempting to use the University printers. It is cheap, fairly small and prints at a good speed from my computer. If you are looking for a printer to rattle off your essays and documents, this is a great choice that will save you a lot of money.

HOWEVER, a warning: do not buy this if you need anything more than a basic document printer for home or Uni. Do not expect any photo printing to be fantastic, and although it is marketed as a 'Smartphone/Tablet Printer', printing wirelessly from a mobile device is PAINFULLY slow. I was very worried as the first time I tested this printer, I was printing from my phone, and it took forever just to print a single sheet.
USB printing from a PC is perfectly adequate, however.

In other words, a cheap printer for those with basic needs.
on 28 August 2015
Decided to purchase a new printer as I have been using an ageing Canon multi function printer for years and after reading the plethora of reviews on here I decided to plump for the HP Deskjet 2540 as I only print the odd text document as well as scan from time to time so this appeared to fit the bill with it being one of the cheapest and well received printers on the market.

The printer is nice and light, not too big and well made considering the price. On the left hand side of the top are a few buttons for operation including wifi along with a small display. A flap, centered on the top which when lifted enables paper to be loaded and at the very front of the printer is a pull down shelf that collects the prints as they complete.

Included is the usual quick setup guide which was straightforward, the software that is provided can be customised before install so that you are in control of what you install, this process was nice and quick. Part of the install includes a test print and then you are asked to lift the main lid of the printer and place said test print on the flatbed scanner so that the software can align the printer ready for use, again all very simple and easy.

Documents that I have printed thus far are impressive for the price of the printer with clear text, the print time is decent also. Quality of scanned documents is also very good and so far I am very impressed with the purchase. Although not a function I will probably use often the wifi set up and facility to print this way is a bonus at this price and again works very well, an app can be installed on your mobile phone to print directly from the device.

If you are looking for a simple, no nonsense basic all in one then I cannot recommend this enough.