McAfee Internet Security  2014 (3 User, 1 Year) (PC)
Platform: Frustration-Free PackagingChange
Price:£14.99-£19.46

Platform: Frustration-Free PackagingVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I have used anti virus software for many years. I used to use Norton but found it was very system heavy in resources and slowed down my PC (which in fairness might have been down to the PC!). Anyway I tried McAfee and have not looked back. it is easy to use. It updates regularly. It seems to have kept my computer and the 2 family laptops safe and secure for many years without problem. I suppose that says it all! Not sure there is much more to add. If I have one irritation it is when renewing, the renewal price is often signifciantly higher than the origianl purchase price so watch for that if on auto renewal.....you might find yourself paying double what you could be paying. I turn off the auto renewal to ensure I don't get caught in that trap. Anti virus is essential. This is a well known and highly recommended anti viral software. It is reasonably priced and it says what it does on the box. OAfter many eyars of using this product, I have no hesitation in recommending it. I will not be changing.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
Many years ago, I worked for McAfee. As far as actually detecting malware and protecting the user there is nothing better, however on a low power PC the package does have a significant adverse impact.

Note that some internet providers, such as Plus.net provide the same package as part of many of their broadband packages.

Also never run more than one software firewall or virus scanner (whatever brand) at the same time. You gain nothing but you are likely to have difficulties and additional slowdowns as a result.

On my quad core PC McAfee had little impact, but on a friends 2 core I3 based computer CPU usage showed that around 50% of the computer's resources were being used during normal running.

If it is slowing your machine down, there are several options that can help.

1) In the real time scanning settings, there is an option for asking for it to have a lower impact - this slows down the virus scanning but improves the speed.
2) If your email is from a GMail account or you already use Thunderbird for your email you already have decent spam prevention, so you can switch it of for the McAfee suite.
3) Perform basic maintenance:
a) Uninstall old applications that you no longer use
b) Check which application automatically start-up - Do you need them instantly every time you use your computer? If not, use their settings to switch off the start-up on log-on
c) Is your disk fragmented? If so, use the built in Windows utilities to defragment your hard drive - everything will be quicker (Not applicable if you have a high spec SSD drive)
d) Don't store documents and pictures on your desktop - they will be rescanned each time you start the computer
e) Don't keep lots of email in your inbox - file it - This means that when you receive new emails, the virus scanner will not choose to rescan everything in your inbox when it arrives.

I do hope this helps.
McAfee Internet Security 2014
-----------------------------------------

I have a Web design company and many machines to protect. I mix and match my security software but this is the first year I have included this manufacturers.

The 20124 three machine edition.
---------------------------------------------
Firstly, it’s very good value for three machines compared to say the market leaders Kaspersky and Norton. This version support Windows 8 and 8.1 along with older versions.

Installation.
---------------
This is very simple just put the disk in and let it work, all you have to do is register and enter the serial number. It self-configures and therefore needs no user input unless you want to manage options yourself.

Setting up.
--------------
There is none really it is a set and forget suite unless you want to configure it. The main time you would want to do this is to use the parental control functions to block keywords and any sites you don’t want accessed.

In use.
---------
This software uses an intelligent software algorithm to keep it efficient and it only uses spare memory when it’s available. Most of the competitions do the same sort of thing but on two identical laptops McAfee was slightly faster. You can manually scan an item or set the software to sort everything out for you which is the default setting.

I sent some emails to my machine with test Malware on and this software got everything and dealt with it with no fuss or need for me to do anything. Norton and Kaspersky also did the same. AVG popped up and asked me if I wanted to delete or quarantine one of the files. To be honest it ran as fast and as well as the Norton and Kaspersky offerings. In magazine reviews it did not seem to get as high marks as Norton or Kaspersky but it was never far behind and in some reviews I researched on the web it equalled or did better in some cases.

The main thing I have learned here is that all the main security suites do much the same thing and reputation and price is the deciding factor. Reading reviews here on Amazon it is easy to see that each major publishers has a degree of brand loyalty and most reviews of this software are very good.

Overall.
----------
It is sold at a bargain price but in my experience of one months use on three machines it does as good a job as all the others at a bargain price. It has stopped everything the other packages have done with viruses, Malware and Phishing sites so it works well in my opinion. Basically you need something on your machine and out of all the main contenders this is as good as any and much better than nothing.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 9 February 2014
As would be expected, this internet security suite offers real time protection against viruses, spyware etc being downloaded onto your computer and also offers regular automatic updates and file scanning. I know some people have reported issues installing the software on their computers (this will be a potential issue with any software, as it may conflict with other programs, specific to that user) however I can report that my installation was seamless.

Once installed, there isn't much more for the user to do, as the software is automatically set up to check for updates and scan for threats on a regular basis. There are also a number of other tools included in this security suite, such as a vulnerability scanner (which checks for out of date software, although found nothing on my computer) and file cleaner (which deletes unnecessary files which may affect system performance).

The packaging for this security suite has also moved in the right direction (being only a CD in a cardboard sleeve) which is a huge improvement on the CD, in a plastic case, inside an unnecessarily large box!

From my experience of this product, I haven't come across any particular problems, however McAfee has had a poorer reputation than that of some of its rivals in recent years, hence the reason I reduced my rating by one star.
VINE VOICEon 10 February 2014
This package continues to be great value and totally safe. I am personally convinced that there is no product on the market in this category that will give you a safer experience of computing. Anti-virus, firewall, anti-spam, anti-spyware -all are taken care of with McAfee's expertise and reputation behind it.

The only reason I haven't given 5 stars (and I would have proffered 4.5) is that the user interface is neither friendly or modern. Offering the same user interface screen as McAfee Total Protection, it seems poor compared with previous versions and certainly behind Kaspersky and Norton. Having said that, the idea is that you shouldn't be looking at it all the time, and the real plus is the speed it works at and the limited difference it makes to the speed of your pc.

Some people will ask what is the difference between this product and McAfee Total Protection? The answer is not a lot - primarily the latter offers data encryption as an added level of security on your machine. If you want to encrypt then pay the small difference, otherwise get this product.

My advice is don't mess around with unheard of brands. You know McAfee is safe and secure, so just buy it.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
After using Zone Alarm for a number of years as my internet security provider I purchased a new desktop which came with 18 months of free McAfee so decided to switch to that. This is my second year of McAfee. As one of the big boys of internet security you would expect McAfee to be user friendly and it certainly was very easy to install and set-up and it doesn't have any noticeable effect on browser speed except when disk scanning.

McAfee provides virtually no messages or questions as it runs which is generally a good thing but personally I'd like a little bit more feedback, just to give me confidence that it's doing something e.g. a pop up to remind me that a scan is due in a few hours so I would know to leave my PC on would be useful. On the plus side updates go almost unnoticed with no noticeable interruption of internet connection.

As for how effective it is at preventing infections I can provide two examples. The first problem I had was with receiving a large number of spam emails which Zone Alarm seemed to intercept. I've actually blocked that problem at source now by changing the settings on my internet provider account but I had never needed to do that with my previous internet security.

The second incident was a result of the first, when I opened an attachment on a fake email. I realised my mistake as soon as I did it but McAfee didn't notice anything at the time (although I'm not sure any internet security system would). Anyway I scanned the drives with McAfee and it did indeed find and remove some spyware. So the lesson I learned from this was to set up frequent automatic scans and also do scans if you notice any suspicious activity or download from sites.

I'm no I.T. expert and my experience is totally anecdotal but in summary I find McAfee very user friendly but slightly less secure than Zone Alarm which is my main product for comparison. However, for people with little knowledge or patience with these systems it's probably a good way to go as any.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
I have experience of Norton, Kaspersky and earlier versions of this product from McAfee (now part of Intel). I installed this on a PC running Windows 7 with an i5 processor and 8GB RAM.

Installation using the defaults as opposed to custom options was reasonably straightforward save the registration process on the McAfee site. Remember to update the product and allow it to do a scan on installation. The UI is fairly straightforward in the default mode although I heed what other reviewers have said about custom installations.

In use I found this version of McAfee to be quite light on system resources in that it did not slow it down - however, some of the "pop up alarms" appear a little bit over zealous and annoying compared to the previous product I had been using. The danger of this is that they encourage you either turn off features or adjust settings which might increase vulnerability - hence four stars. However, in all other respects easy to live with, effective protection and good value.
VINE VOICEon 1 April 2014
Let's start with the positives. McAfee is a lot less intrusive than Norton, seems to use less memory, and has a nice clear interface. The downside is the installation experience which is a lot less informative than it used to be, Installing it on my netbook was quite slow - perhaps an external CD drive was part of that - but also involved watching the screen and wondering whether anything was happening. Got there in the end but that could be better.
on 13 June 2014
I recently purchased a new Laptop that came with One Months McAfee Internet Security free Trial pre-installed. and so on the basis of this decided to purchase a years subscription.
Having previously used several versions of Windows since Windows 98 ver. I thought this would be a simple installation from the Windows 8.1 Desktop Screen to perform and to enter the McAfee Activation Code to register the product.? Firstly I loaded the CD-ROM into the Laptops Drive and waited for the Autorun file to start.? and after a couple of minutes realised that this was not going to work or be as easy as has been suggested/implied.? And finaly after rechecking that I had not missed any steps several times. ended up having to contact McAfee Technical Services for help.
Conclusions: The McAfee Internet Security progam seems to work fine. Once installed. But I will probably buy an eCard version next year. Or download the Free McAfee version from my Bank.
VINE VOICEon 22 January 2014
I'm a convert from Norton to McAfee this time round, after three years of having the previous installed on our PCs. Overall the transition hasn't been too bad, though the cleaner design and tabbed layout is much different to the slick design of Norton.

With three licences with one activation code there's enough antivirus here to protect your household (NOTE: FOR A YEAR FROM ACTIVATION DATE), and a laptop for those looking for portable protection.

Like most new software the packaging is minimal and an installation through the included CD is optional as some new laptops don't come with DVD drives - I instead went with the option of downloading straight from the McAfee website, which was fast and easy, though you're forced to register with McAfee before you can proceed - ARGH!

Installation takes around half an hour (PC and internet speed dependent) with an installation of our McAfee trial version being removed in the process and a reboot before a lengthy download, though once up and running is good to go with the latest virus definitions included in said lengthy download.

Included is, amongst other the antivirus, a range of additional tools you have the option of installing (choose 'custom' in the installation process) including the annoying browser extensions that slow down your internet experience by popping up with risk notifications. So long as you're a seasoned surfer you'll know what sites to stay away from.

Conversely the content control is a useful option, allowing parents to control what their children look at on the internet (keeping kids away from above dodgy sites!).

Speed doesn't appear to be an issue with an AMD A6 Quad Core processor and 8GB of RAM, though cleverly I run scans overnight with the option of switching the computer off after the scan enabled! Pop up notifications can distract you sometimes and the internet plugin should be disabled if you happen to know your PC inside and out.

It's a photo runner between this an Norton antivirus software. If you can deal with the crossover the choice is up to your preference!