Shop now Shop Clothing clo_fly_aw15_NA_shoes Shop All Shop All Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop Amazon Fire TV Shop now Shop Fire HD 6 Shop Kindle Paperwhite Shop now Shop Now Shop now

Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
A much better value cleaning system refill option than the Braun model I recently tried and reviewed. The Philips cleaning unit is easy to use, and neat to keep on the corner of the bedside cabinet for when the shaver needs the thorough cleaning. The starter kit comes with a bottle of special detergent fluid which should last a couple of months. The auto clean mechanism is also quite impressive. It's quite space age robotic in the way it lowers the shaver and goes through the cleaning routine including cycles of lifting it out of the fluid and dipping it back in. All in all a few minutes of the routine but then keeps it there for a couple of hours to allow the head to drip dry. My cat is fascinated by it too, he stands over it and watches the robotic routine in total fascination :D

The Philips system of shaving is one I like anyway and this particular model is one of the best I have used in all my years of shaving my difficult to shift stubble. It doesn't come cheap, but you are getting a lot of high quality kit packed into a light and well designed cordless shaver. The pivot and contour of the shaving head is the best out of all shavers I have owned so far, and the standard dry shaving has produced the best smoothest results too. But the best thing about it has been the wet shave with shaving foam. I have not been anywhere near a blade for years because I cut myself easily, so this Philips unit is awesome for that. I have had the closest shave since my teenage years (that's a long while ago) when it used to be so easy to get a clean face. I am also quite pleased about the separate trimmer head, because it's not just a sideburns trimmer, it's a proper beard/hair trimmer and really good for taking bushiness out of the sideburns and the hairs at back of the neck. Highly recommended.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I've used several Philips razors over the years (including the much cheaper Aquatouch, my favourite), but thought I would get something meatier in order to try to reduce the time it takes me to shave.

This razor comes in a very large box, containing the razor itself and a cleaning/charging stand. The idea of the stand is that the razor cleans itself whilst it charges, using special Philips cleaning solution. Whilst you can't argue that the razor is cleaned using this method, you do really have to wonder at how this is any easier than simply rinsing the razor under a tap, which takes a few seconds. In addition, you don't have to buy the Philips cleaning solution to rinse the razor with plain water!

Charging, however, is good, with a full charge obtained in about an hour, which gives (I've found) about an hour's shaving time. So pretty good there.

My main problem, however, is with the quality of the shave. Maybe I'm doing something wrong, or maybe I'm just not capable of contorting my wrists and face in the correct way, but the distance between the rotary heads means that I generally miss bits when shaving - and sometimes quite large strips at that! I've given the razor a fair go over the past few weeks, but have concluded that it takes more time to shave than my old Aquatouch - to which I am returning.

I've given this three stars as I wouldn't say it's a bad, bad razor; but there again it's not a very good one either. It does shave, and perhaps with a bit more patience (ie months of practice rather than weeks), I could work out how to use it without having to go over some parts of my chin again and again.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Out of the box my first reaction was really pleasing a well-made, reassuringly weighty and solid razor with all the curves in the right place to make handling it and using it a real effortless joy. It doesn't end there as the box is really quite large hosting a power supply, storage pouch (very useful for business trips) stand, trimmer attachment, head cover, Jet clean system and jet clean solution (an extra cost to keep up to). All of the box contents are of equal high quality and design to the razor. I was a bit concerned by the size of the jet clean unit, it's quite large and I wouldn't have the space to have it left out all the time and I fear once put away it will be forgotten.

Probably a standard feature on most razors now but I found the battery indicator to be of great value, I have an older razor and a set of clippers neither of which have a battery indicator and there's nothing more frustrating than getting half way through a shave and the battery runs out.

In use the three foil heads flex and spring back into place gently and the whole head moves to contours of your face. Wet or dry the cutting motion is smooth without having to go over the same area too many times. It's not as close as a wet razor shave but it's been a few years since I've had a proper wet shave anyway.

Price is an important factor with any purchase, £168 is a lot of money but what you get for this price tag is stunning looking razor complimented by a comprehensive accessory package. If I could get the same razor without the jet clean system in hindsight that would be the perfect purchase for me.
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Although this is an excellent razor, and indeed does suit my sensitive skin, with no razor burn whatsoever, the cleaning element of this product is a purely cosmetic and totally unnecessary addition. A normal rinsing and cleaning of the razor is enough with warm water. This is mere pandering to a developing male vanity. Unless you have OCD, don't buy it. The instructions for using the cleaning element are purely visual, and took me a long time to work out. This was very frustrating for a part of the product that I have discovered I will not be using.

I would pay up to £100 for this razor, and no more. It is not worth the extra money, hence the rating of 3 stars. For the razor alone, without the gizmo I would rate it a 5 star. It feels very good in the hand and gives an excellent shave.
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This is one of the most expensive electric shavers Philips makes largely due to the somewhat over-designed blade cleaning system. The shaver head is large which makes it difficult to reach all parts of your face, especially around the jaw bone. As a result repeated shaving of the same areas of skin are required resulting in shaving rash. This is despite Philips using its 2D blade mounting system which is supposed to make the blades more maneuverable.

The cleaning mechanism adds considerably to the cost of the Shafer and has an ongoing cost as you need to buy the cleaning fluid for it. Philips recommend cleaning takes place once a month but this does not seem to extend the life of the blades, which are very costly to replace, and manual day to day cleaning is required as well.I struggle to see merit in the system therefore. Moreover the cleaning unit is bulky and will not be easily accommodated in most bathrooms.

In addition to the Shafer and cleaning kit a travel pouch is provided but this is made of a thin plastic material offering no protection to the shaver. It's just as well that the shaver can be locked in an off position when traveling to prevent it turning itself on in a suitcase as the pouch would not prevent this.

Finally, the picture-based instructions are dire - go to the Philips website for better guidance.

In conclusion this is a fair shaver with a gadget lovers dream of a cleaning system. My rating reflects the price of the kit which is just too high for something which struggles due to its large head to provide a good shave. So three stars.
on 9 November 2014
I'm in two minds about this shaver. On the one hand it's very comfy to use, you can glide all over the face, even sensitive areas like the adams apple with no problems. It's super easy to clean. The trimmer is effective, although it's a nuisance having it separate from the main shaver.

On the other hand, it's pretty sedate and doesn't actually cut hair that well. It slowly erodes my beard away rather than mowing it off. I've used a Braun for about 10 years, that thing would go like the clappers and I'd be done quickly, the Philips feels like the batteries are running out in comparison.
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This seems terribly expensive to me for what it is; but then again a lot of these electric shavers do. The shave you get is close but the I tank the rest of the features are a bit of a gimmick.

Personally, my feeling are much like another reviewers on here: the jet wash feature is pretty useless. I'd rather just rinse it under the tap and I don't like the fact that it nees the stand to be charged. It's not much good as a travel shaver because of that.

The other thing I really don't like are it's looks. Phillips have designed a few of this type of shaver now (with the floating head) and I just think they're ugly. Overpriced in my opinion.
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
The RQ1197 takes a mid-range place in Philips' offerings, but does that mean it offers average performance?

In truth, I was pleasantly surprised. One of the major problems when switching from a wet (razor) shave to an electric is understanding how to handle the device in the first place. With the former, you are more or less sutured into downstrokes and the occasional rinse, but a rotary shaver requires the same action as the blades themselves - you simply must recreate circular motions on your skin.

Once you get into this habit, the RQ1197 is a very capable product that will, at the very least, form a close shave. But clean? This is near impossible. The GyroFlex 2D head system is a disaster, providing nothing in the way of aid since the spring system cancels any effort to move the shaver heads with precision. You're then left with more irritation because you have to press down harder in order to force the heads into your chosen direction. I can only guess that this was implemented as a marketing gimmick, because in practice, it is simply counter-productive.

The product boasts a now common factor in water sealing, battery indicators and a 'self cleaning' system; the latter doing a worse job than if you simply opened up the heads and rinsed them under hot water. This is then the equivalent of paying for an accessory that you don't necessarily need or want, but Philips are charging a premium for it to be included.

On a basis of quality however, I really can't complain at the longevity of Philips products. The RQ1197 is well presented and formed, but it does little more than weaken the stance of electric shavers.
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This RQ1197 shaver offers us the ability to shave in the shower, on the move, and easy cleaning under a tap or in the dedicated cleaning station. But it is not much good as a shaver, and after a month I have gone back to using my worn-out but still superior old shaver, a Philips HQ6990.

The first big disappointment I found was that the Senso Touch does not shave particularly efficiently, it leaves streaks and patches of stubble even after multiple passes. It is far too slow in reaching an acceptable standard, taking more than three minutes for my morning shave.
1. The three cutters are too far apart from each other; even if the cutters shaved perfectly (which they don't) it is possible to leave a 5mm wide track of stubble.
2. The cutters do not articulate well and do not follow the contours of the face, especially along the jaw line, again leaving stubble tracks because they are not in contact with the skin.
3. Less effective than the old slotted style, the multi-purpose hole and slot cutter design is jack of all trades and master of none.
4. I get less than two weeks of shaving on a charge, partly because it takes so long for each shave.
5. And then having to remove the head to replace it with a mislaid trimmer (instead of simply flipping it up) is so inconvenient when finishing off the sideburns to stop them getting into ones ears.
I've posted a composite picture (Pic 2283-4c) to illustrate the differences between the heads of these two shavers.

Cleaning is good, surprisingly easy, which is what rescues it one star from being the pits. BUT the second surprise was that this "Waterproof" shaver seems to be designed to suck water up into its innards even when rinsing just the head (while the motor is running) even if the head is lowest under the tap (or sitting in the cleaning dock). The first time I held it upright when it was finished cleaning, I discovered that a whole lot of water dripped out of the strategically placed drain-hole at the far end from the head, and it ran down my wrist and fell onto the floor. Now I'm more careful.

It gets worse. The cleaning dock is cunningly designed with a seal and a baffle to prevent water escaping during the cleaning process. BUT if one makes the mistake (as I did) of removing the cleaning tank from the dock, the water remaining above on the insides of the dock then falls out onto the surface under the dock. So now it lives on a draining board when being used. Stupid design.

Even the charging cradle has a strategic drain hole in the base to let the water drip out of the shaver onto the surface it is sitting on. My bathroom does not have electrics, and the other shavers were always charged in the bedroom. This one needs the kitchen because of all the water it leaks out one way or another. It can only be run from the batteries, there is no socket for a mains lead. The cradle or dock are the only ways to put power back into the shaver; bad luck on that important but rushed morning when the battery is flat.

And this criticism is from someone who has happily been using Philips shavers for almost fifty years. My first Philishave, a twin-cutter battery-only, lasted more than twenty years before the plastic fell apart - it still shaved well. My second, a 1990s battery/mains triple cutter Philishave 890, also lasted more than twenty years before the NiCad cells inside wore out - now kept as a backup it still shaves very well indeed on the mains, and is now actually the best of my four taking just over a minute and a half for a good shave. The third (the battery/mains HQ6990 and best of the lot when new) is only three years old but is already showing signs of the cutters becoming dull and takes almost two minutes for a shave.

Instead of the Senso Touch (or indeed anything else with a Gyroflex head) I recommend getting something like this Philips HQ8290 type with the three triple track cutters and flip-up trimmer, perhaps the (untried) PT920. On a recent two-week ski trip I forgot my own shaver and needed to share my room-mate's HQ8290; it did thirty shaves without needing a recharge, partly because it only took either of us between three-quarters of a minute and a minute for a good clean shave.
review image
VINE VOICEon 21 November 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I'm more of a trimmer guy than a shaver guy, and this unit is good for both. It comes with both heads and I found best results using the trimming head, giving a reasonably tidy stubble, and if the day demanded it, then using the classic shaver head.

If I have the time, I still like to finish off with a very quick wet shave and some good quality skin lotion like Manuka Doctor, this means I can get a couple of days from that shave, rather than just one day. An electric shave is ok if you do it regularly, but it never really feels that smooth to me.

I don't have particularly fast growing hair and am not required to be totally clean shaven at work. I do have quite sensitive skin so shave as little as I can. I find the classic shaver head can leave my skin feeling a little dry and mildly sore or itchy. The lotion fixes this of course.

Two things to note, the trimmer doesn't work as well when the hair is wet, and the shaver head works much better when wet. The ability to rinse the shaver under the tap to clean it is great.

The cleaner unit is excellent too. The cleaner can't be used with the trimmer head though, and I did find the trimmer smelt a little after a while. You fill up the cleaner unit with some special fluid, some is supplied, drop the shaver into it and press the go button. It lowers the shaver head into the fluid, starts and stops the shaver head while it charges, then lifts it out at the end.

The battery lasts for ages and it has a charge indicator, no reason to have your battery run out half way though and be left with a goatee like happened to me the other day using a different trimmer.

Also supplied is a stand, if you're not using the jet cleaner, a head cover and a smart little soft storage pouch.

See one answered question