Most helpful positive review
67 of 67 people found the following review helpful
Great albums, great sound
on 19 December 2013
I'm not going to review this collection in the conventional manner because if you are looking at this product and considering purchasing it then you are almost certainly a Johnny Cash fan already, meaning you know that you're going to like most (or even all) of these 20 albums. So instead I'm going to include here some basic information that could come in useful.
1. "The Fabulous Johnny Cash"
2. "Hymns By Johnny Cash"
3. "Songs Of Our Soil"
4. "Now, There Was A Song!"
5. "Ride This Train"
6. "I Walk The Line"
7. "Bitter Tears"
8. "Orange Blossom Special"
9. "Sings The Ballads Of The True West"
10. "Everybody Loves A Nut"
11. "From Sea To Shining Sea"
12. "At Folsom Prison"
13. "At San Quentin"
14. "Hello, I'm Johnny Cash"
15. "The Johnny Cash Show"
16. "A Thing Called Love"
17. "John R. Cash"
18. "One Piece At A Time"
19. "Johnny 99"
* 20 albums included, all on separate discs. Thankfully they haven't attempted to cram 2-3 albums on one disc as I've seen elsewhere!
* Each disc comes in it's own thin non-glossy card sleeve with replica original album cover on front and original album back-cover on back
* 35-page booklet included. John Carter Cash (son of Johnny Cash) writes a preamble (one page). No new details on individual albums are given, no interesting essays or the like, but each album gets one succinct paragraph of basic background information added, this going up to page 11. Page 12-13 is album pictures. Page 14-33 is the usual album credits and copyright information
* The sound is fine, clean and crisp. As for whether or not they have been remastered, I refer you to J. Milner's comment below for further information on this:
"I'm pretty sure these albums will have been sourced from The Complete Albums set so they will be newly mastered. A lot had not been on CD before so they will have been mastered for CD for the first time. Pretty sure it was done at Sony's Battery Studios in New York by Maria Triana. The discs also have CD Text information which is also an indication that they are new editions." -J. Milner
* Some of these albums are not available on CD elsewhere, only on old vinyl, so I'd snap these up while they're not too expensive!
* If it's buying Cash albums in bulk that you're going for, one alternative to this set is 'The Complete Columbia Collection [Box set, Original recording remastered]', from Sony Music. It is £150+ but looks worth it if you can get it
Recommended for every ardent Johnny Cash fan.