3.7 out of 5 stars2,055
Format: Blu-rayChange

on 18 October 2015
My impression of gravity is that the entire budget had been spent on CGI. The story was in. my opinion weak, and needed more development. The ending seemed an anti climax.
on 12 November 2013
Went to see this movie the other night on impulse and without knowing anything at all. Not a huge fan of either of the leads but for some reason i just had this idea in my head that it would be worth it. I had no idea what i was in for but i treated myself to an IMAX ticket. I sat down and got comfly with some popcorn...

The start sequence is so amazing and probably one of the only place for you go grab a breath before all hell breaks loose, literally. By the time the movie was over i had not even touched my pop corn and had almost torn the arm of the chair from the tension. My heart was racing but i was smiling my head off and wanted to watch it all over again. I could have watched another 5 hours of this movie yet it was perfect the length it is.

I am simply dazzled and amazed by the work that went in by everyone involved in making this, there were no short cuts or cheap shots. the acting is beyond the call of duty and must have been such a mind job. Bullock is outstanding and deserves a massive reward for her performance. Clooney just stole my heart from the beginning and fit into his role nice and snug.

Seriously, do yourself a favour and treat yourself to watching this superb movie with a huge screen and roaring sound that shakes the ground. I am most certainly going to see this again. Then im getting the bluray.
3838 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 2 April 2014
Wow! It needs more than one viewing to follow everything ( I am 76, after all ), and I recommend listening to the sound with headphones to get the full claustrophobic effect. Stunning.
TOP 100 REVIEWERon 21 November 2013
This technically brilliant film contains beautiful shots of the earth viewed from space, there are some tense moments as the two space workers (Clooney and Bullock) struggle to survive when they find themselves stranded after a disaster not of their making and it is intriguing to watch them floating about surrounded by a motley collection of objects and dealing with weightlessness in a matter of fact way, at least until calamity strikes. As with most adventure films, the desire to create ever more exciting situations sends plausibility spinning into the outer galaxies and it is probably an advantage to be ignorant of some of the basic laws of physics. At the end, despite the ludicrous twists, the film succeeds in leaving you with a sobering sense of mortality combined with the strengh of the will to survive.

"Gravity" is definitely greatly enhanced if seen on a large screen in 3D.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
I was put off from watching this film because I am not the biggest fan of Sandra bullock, but am glad I changed my mind, because I just loved her in this film, so for me she has changed my mind, well almost. The picture plus sound is amazing and it sounds stunning through your surround sound system, especially when the meteorite storm hits, and the ending was just stunning, plus what a beautiful and original soundtrack. This is a great film which I will never watch in 2D.
review image review image review image review image
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
A fine film, well praised and rightly so. Probably the finest CGI I have ever seen, truly breathtaking. But the story is good too, it just doesn't quite hand together as well as the CGI. I just feel slightly let down by the storyline (it's supposed to be rooted in now rather than futuristic science fiction land) - it's just a little implausible. Shuttle gets destroyed by space junk, then they move across to the ISS and then a Chinese spacecraft. Difficult to believe you could survive the debris field and one or two other things are questionable in terms of physics but it's an entertaining film nonetheless and worth seeing for the technical aspects.
on 9 October 2015
Very rare, in this day-and-age, do you get an original film set in space, and one that poses questions in regards to the existential 'dilemma' every human-being, at one time or another, in their life, encounters. But Alfonso Cuaron's tale does just that - and brilliantly so. Not much in terms of a story (being as it's of an astronaut and medical-engineer getting stranded in space due to the destruction of their shuttle), the film works more on the level of emotion, depicting the struggles that we, as people, are forced with, often unfairly, and how the human-spirit has to (and at times is unable to) react. Tense, unnerving, claustrophobic all the way through, you really get sucked into the narrative, feeling for the character of Dr. Ryan Stone, who is already dealing with a personal trauma of her own - brilliantly played out, here, by Sandra Bullock. The film, predominantly, touches upon that deep-rooted idiology of how, at times, due to certain circumstances, we'd rather give up on life, no longer having the will to continue - but then when death actually presents itself, life, all-of-a-sudden, never seems more meaningful; and precious. The film does have some minor flaws, especially where the special-effects in certain scenes aren't quite as subtle as they'd like to be, often rushed to counteract this, and George Clooney's performance is a little too self-conscious for the seriousness of the film - less an actor, more 'I'm-a-superstar' (an inability to remove that smirk off his face). But this is one definitely to see in the cinema, and you are left, at the end of the film, which works as a beautiful metaphor, with an overpowering feeling of what it is to be human - and alive.
on 21 November 2015
This is one of those movies that is totally made for 3D. When you see it normally, it's a pretty average film. The story is not that strong and ends up being one of those..hey, we're american...we always win in a bad situation! I have friends who have seen it 3D and said..oh you must watch this. Which admittedly I didn't, but 2D it's pretty average. You can see where they filmed to make it more dramatic, shots that were meant to stand out and I feel that that was the story, rather than what happened. It's very run of the mill. does end of one helluva butt shot of Sandra Bullock.....
on 22 November 2015
Truly superb visuals but frankly would have been better as a silent movie - which would have left the viewer to make-up or interpret the internal dialogue. Emotionally never worked for me.

If I watch this again - quite possible - I will try with the sound off.

<* Small Spoiler *>
Also thought that SB removing her spacesuit the moment she gets into the spacecraft and curling up into a foetal position was insulting to the viewers. Realism nearly went out the spacecraft window at that point and didn't really recover.

And that is why this movie judgers, at one end of the spectrum you have tremendous visual realism which pulls you into the movie and at the other cartoon emotions that repel. Just compare SB monologues to these of Tom Hanks in Apollo 13.
on 25 November 2015
Pretty pictures and some good special effects of outer space but let down by a very silly storyline and one dimensional characters. Sandra Bullock whom I normally like, gives an unconvincing performance and I don't believe she would ever have been sent into space by NASA. George Clooney reminded me more of Buzz Lightyear and is more convincing in his ads for coffee.
Overall quite disappointed with this film and wouldn't mind opening up the airlock and sending it back into space.