3.7 out of 5 stars2,218
Format: Blu-rayChange

on 6 January 2016
I was somewhat disappointed with the storyline, but the special effects are most spectacular, Sandra Bullock and George Clooney
star in this nail-biting drama in earth-orbit. Leaves food for thought.
on 12 November 2013
Went to see this movie the other night on impulse and without knowing anything at all. Not a huge fan of either of the leads but for some reason i just had this idea in my head that it would be worth it. I had no idea what i was in for but i treated myself to an IMAX ticket. I sat down and got comfly with some popcorn...

The start sequence is so amazing and probably one of the only place for you go grab a breath before all hell breaks loose, literally. By the time the movie was over i had not even touched my pop corn and had almost torn the arm of the chair from the tension. My heart was racing but i was smiling my head off and wanted to watch it all over again. I could have watched another 5 hours of this movie yet it was perfect the length it is.

I am simply dazzled and amazed by the work that went in by everyone involved in making this, there were no short cuts or cheap shots. the acting is beyond the call of duty and must have been such a mind job. Bullock is outstanding and deserves a massive reward for her performance. Clooney just stole my heart from the beginning and fit into his role nice and snug.

Seriously, do yourself a favour and treat yourself to watching this superb movie with a huge screen and roaring sound that shakes the ground. I am most certainly going to see this again. Then im getting the bluray.
4040 comments276 of 333 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 19 December 2015
They managed to achieve sense of real space although poor story.
on 25 January 2016
I'm not much in to space films, as fascinating though the concept is, they always seem improbable or lacking in diversity... This, however, was genuinely fantastic.

Many people have commended the visual effects in their reviews, and I concur with those comments. Matt's reverence for the scenery is a nice touch - it reminds us that our world is a wonderful place and that we are privileged to have the science to continue to explore it. Without spoiling the context, I can at least say that it made me smile to hear him exclaiming over our world.

The rest of the film was, in a word, intense. It makes a real change to see Sandra Bullock playing a character that is unsure and frightened. Her physical journey is incredible and there is no shortage of what I always refer to as "jeopardy" to keep you interested. My heart was pounding and I think I held my breath a few times!

The ending is sympathetically written and as realistic as it can be. I'm no scientist, but I did get the feeling that a significant amount of research went into the writing, and the attention to detail is excellent. Overall, a brilliant watch.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
I was put off from watching this film because I am not the biggest fan of Sandra bullock, but am glad I changed my mind, because I just loved her in this film, so for me she has changed my mind, well almost. The picture plus sound is amazing and it sounds stunning through your surround sound system, especially when the meteorite storm hits, and the ending was just stunning, plus what a beautiful and original soundtrack. This is a great film which I will never watch in 2D.
review image review image review image review image
0Comment13 of 16 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 21 November 2013
This technically brilliant film contains beautiful shots of the earth viewed from space, there are some tense moments as the two space workers (Clooney and Bullock) struggle to survive when they find themselves stranded after a disaster not of their making and it is intriguing to watch them floating about surrounded by a motley collection of objects and dealing with weightlessness in a matter of fact way, at least until calamity strikes. As with most adventure films, the desire to create ever more exciting situations sends plausibility spinning into the outer galaxies and it is probably an advantage to be ignorant of some of the basic laws of physics. At the end, despite the ludicrous twists, the film succeeds in leaving you with a sobering sense of mortality combined with the strengh of the will to survive.

"Gravity" is definitely greatly enhanced if seen on a large screen in 3D.
0Comment120 of 150 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 2 April 2014
Wow! It needs more than one viewing to follow everything ( I am 76, after all ), and I recommend listening to the sound with headphones to get the full claustrophobic effect. Stunning.
on 7 February 2016
Bit disappointed with this film. Hard to say why with spoiling film for others. Plot line very poor and NASA wouldn't allow astronauts to space walk like that, plus they would only have enough fuel in the burners on their suit for under a minute.

Sorry watching recent International Space Station program probably made me more critical of this film. Having said that the Martian had a couple of clangers in it (living on surface and radiation), but I enjoyed that.

To sum up Gravity the scenery effects were brilliant, the plot line and scientific accuracy poor.

Martian 5 Stars
Gravity 3 Stars
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
A Film almost five years in the making of.
Special effects perfection an absolute minimum requirement.
(The special features on board essential viewing)
'Explorer' on the final day of it's mission is hit by space debris from a
satellite that has been destroyed to advert the risks involved with
large pieces of debris falling to earth.
The Shuttle has catastrophic damage, other than 'Dr Ryan Stone'
(Sandra Bullock) and 'Matt Kowalski' (George Clooney) all other crew
members have perished.
The two survivors now have to try and reach the 'Space Station' to use
as a go between in the hope of eventually reaching the 'Chinese Station'
to board an escape pod.
'Matt' and 'Ryan' become separated as they reach the first objective.
The tension and problems continue to mount as time after time things
continue to go wrong.
The film is perhaps the most gripping and tense eighty-odd minutes of
drama I've seen for many a day.
An outstanding performance from 'Sandra Bullock'
Superb attention to detail making the film virtual-reality to watch, this a
hi-tech visual-effects spectacle to behold.
A remarkable movie achievement.
(Whether you watch it on 3D-2D or indeed DVD you'll not be disappointed)
There are nearly 3-hours of special features (in 2D) on board.
# Experience the meticulous innovation necessary to create the world of
zero gravity.
# Witness the physical and emotional demands 'Sandra Bullock' endures
on set.
# Journey with 'Alfonso Cuar'on' through four years of filmmaking to forthest
boundries of cinema.
Worthy of the 'Oscars' and 'Bafta's awarded
on 11 January 2016
I but was very disappointed with this dvd as it had such a huge hype and I found it quite boring. It could have been told in a fifth of the time but it was so drawn out.