Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop Cyber Monday Deals Week in Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Shop now DIYED Shop now Learn More Shop Fire Shop Kindle Listen in Prime Shop now Shop now

on 17 July 2014
The problem with printers is that there are so many and so many different ratings given by people that it's hard to know which is good and which isn't.

The specs around this model are strong and it's wi-fi/air-play which, for the price, won me over.

I'll simply list the facts and let people take what they want from them:

Firstly, this printer is a lot bigger than I expected; it's certainly not compact by any means so make sure and check the dimensions as I didn't. The price should have alerted me to this so this is my fault for not checking and expecting something smaller.

Moving onto the set-up; there are a lot of reviews talking about how complicated it was to set up and having to register in order to be able to set it up. It's honestly not difficult to set-up. Follow the instructions which are clear and straightforward, make sure you know your wi-fi password and how to sync your make of wi-fi hub (mine is Virgin that give great instructions on line around how to sync your hub to other devices) as you'll need to know how to do this. Some reviewers seem to be faulting the printer for not finding their signals but it's the other way around, the hub needs to be synced in order to find it and connect so it's not the fault of the printer.

From here you have 2 options; you can use the cd provided to finalize set up or you can use HP's website. I used the website. Yes, it does give you the options of signing up and creating an account however, you don't have to do this and it's states that you can continue without registering. I registered because the ink is very cheap and the ink cartridges are not expensive enough for me to warrant buying cheap knock off versions and losing quality of the print. By signing up I can automatically order when i'm running low and there's not a bad software photo editing package included for download when you sign up.

Took me another 5 minutes to finalise set up through this and it worked straight away with no problems and no paper jams.

Overall, the set up was straightforward and following the instructions. the printer was up and running within 10 minutes.

Now, air-printing; I have an iPad and I was worried that i would have to download software but I didn't; you can but you don't have to. It was really, really simple; just bring up the document on your device tap print and choose the printer and that's it; it worked first time and worked brilliantly. No issues with using an iPad or my iPhone 5 with this printer but i can't speak for how well it works with Android/windows devices.

Reviewers have complained about various things and I want to just pick up a couple and compare my experience to them:

- Front loading; yes, the printer is front loading but this isn't a problem with me and I don't see the issue. It's actually space saving and because the printer is bigger than i thought, this is a good thing and it's easy to use; once again, follow the instructions which make it clear
- Paper jams: I've printed out a 20 page document, 2 sided and absolutely no issues at any time and it's hasn't jammed once. Now, once it a while, if you've signed up to an account, a special reward offer will come on screen which interrupts printing but you just resume printing. It's no big deal and it's very rare as it's a reward scheme that offers you discounts or free editing tools.
- Flimsy front loader: I'll be clearer than most around this; they are referring to a small 2 inch strip of plastic that pulls out of the actual front loader to make sure paper doesn't fall on the ground when printing our. It's made of plastic but it's by no means flimsy and you don't actually have to use this.
- No ink provided with printer; not true, the printer comes with a black and white and colour cartridge. Again, people should be clearer. There are 2 types of quality when it comes to the cartridges and the cartridges supplied are the basic quality cartridges, which leads me onto:
- Quality of print/image: no problems here. i don't see what people are complaining about the quality is excellent using these cartridges and I use the printer for very basic printing and photo printing and there are no issues with this. I don't know, perhaps if you are a photographer and make your living selling images then this would matter more (but then, why would you buy such a cheap printer. I printed off 2 DVLA forms and these were perfect, as if I had picked them up from the post office.
- Paper; again, some reviewers stating to have to use HP paper?(!) Not true, I've been using basic photocopying paper and it works fine
- Cost of cartridges; these cartridges are some of the cheapest around and half the price of the previous Advent model I had.
- Length of cartridge use: I've had the printer for approx 2 weeks and printed out a fair few things (boarding passes, recipes, DVLA forms..etc) and they are still going strong, If people use cheap knock off cartridges these will only last half as long

Overall, I've had the printer for approx 2 weeks and couldn't be happier with it. I think that some reviewers are taking it out of the box, not following instructions, making assumptions when they shouldn't be and perhaps don't have a basic grasp of technology. I experienced none of the issues that other people have.

Apologies for the length of the review but I felt it was important to address what a lot of people are giving negative reviews about and that's just not fair on this printer when anybody looking for a low cost good reliable wi-fi/airplay printer could do so much worse that get this one.

I hope this reviews proves helpful to those that find navigating positive and negative reviews a minefield!
2323 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 15 March 2014
Have set up the printer today and have printed loads of good quality copies already. I was of the understanding that no ink was included so ordered 2 separately. However, in the box I was amazed to see 2 incIuded. I also didn't realise that the software disc does not support Windows 8 which I have on my new laptop. Not too much of a problem however. You have to go onto the HP Website Support Section and download a Driver for this model. Once this has been done the Printer will install itself on to your laptop after you follow the on screen instructions. I hope this review will help some of you get your Printer up and running. Connecting the actual Printer to my WiFi was really quite easy even for a Pensioner like me. Moral is - If I can do it anyone can.
Great price point and excellent delivery and would thoroughly recommend.
on 14 April 2014
I bought a Canon Printer and it was rubbish firstly it took me ages to connect to wifi then the paper kept jamming so I returned it and purchased this HP envy 4500 and I am so pleased I did. It took me no time at all to connect to wifi and it prints photos amazingly. Some reviews state its not good at printing photos but I have not experienced this. I can also print from any of my apple devices as well as my samsung phone and tablets. Its one of the best printers I have owned and I have also recommended this to a friend. Excellent purchase and delivery was fast.
on 25 September 2013
I love this printer, it does everything really well. Very easy to set up, the wireless side was dead easy and my ipad and sony phone could print to it without issue.
on 2 January 2014
Excellent quality print even on basic paper, with an easy setup and easy to operate. Good value, and fairly quiet in operation.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 29 April 2015
I bought this to replace an older HP printer mostly because it shares the same cartridges (HP301) and wireless connectivy.
Form factor is somewhat different to most printers this isn't a traditional rear paper feed printer, instead the printer has a paper tray at the front this does make it easier to load up though, but it does add a bit more depth v the other printers.

Controls are quite intuitive a front LCD with touch buttons allow you to change settings and check the ink status on the printer directly. I quite like the slimmer lower profile appearance of the printer and it also fits into my desk area nicely. There are no obvious flaws with the printer (not at this price point) but it's better suited to occasional to moderate use heavy ink users (office etc) will save a lot longer term with a larger printer with big capacity ink carts.

My quick hit list of main points so far

Good areas:
+ Decent print output for both text and photos
+ Low cost
+ Relatively quick prints speeds (up to 8 pages a min for black mixed is nearer 5/6 quality also effects speed normal is just fine for most tasks draft speeds are around double those figures)
+ Supports Wi-Fi (and direct) Apple Air print
+ Borderless printing, double sided printing capable
+ Quite reasonable scan quality (you can reduce and enlarge too) passable for photo scans software is simple but has most of the formats (jpeg, pdf) and options (crop, adjust contrast/brightness/rotate etc) you'll need

Weaker points:
- High Ink costs make it unsuitable for larger volume printing, photo printing consumes a lot of ink (local lab cheaper by far)
- Settings a bit basic for scanning (better suited to documents), requires deeper diving for more advance printer settings (GUI could be improved)
- Fine for the occasional smaller print, output is respectable but not as good as higher end printers or lab prints

Included in the box are a manual, software CD, two 301 (standard yield) carts and power led/brick, no USB printer lead
Once you install the carts and power it on you have to align the print heads this makes a printout and you can scan it to improve print quality
You can use the software CD to connect other computers/laptops to the printer aka wireless or via Wi-Fi direct I find the software works easier, app available for tablet and phone users.
Paper tray holds about 100 sheets of normal paper

HP 301 carts:
I've only ever had one cartridge cause problems a black one, if you insert a new ink cart and it doesn't print out then turn it upside down for a few hours I had one that had an "air lock" brand new, but this solved the problem

HP "don't chip" their ink carts the correct ink volume won't show for re-filled cartridges, but you can re-fill them quite easily (peel back the top sticker fill hold is under here) and the printer doesn't try to stop you doing this (some makers do) I find you can get 2-3 re-fills no problem. Alternatively the XL carts whilst higher cost do have much bigger printing capacity.

Not much to fault really some areas where the interface and software could be a bit user friendly installation works just fine on Windows and Apple computers. Print output is a strong point very crisp and clean documents and relatively good print speeds (it's about average noise wise not too bad though if you print late at night) Ink costs are a factor though the printer is very affordable and you get a the "all in one" appeal no need for a separate scanner. If you do a lot of photo printing this isn't a good solution but OK if you just do the odd smaller one occasionaly. For those who print lower volumes of paper this is a solid offering in this price range. I have stuck with HP because other makers make it hard work to re-fill your cartridges (ie chipped) Worth a look and quite a capable printer
review image review image
on 28 January 2014
This printer arrived yesterday and did not take too long to set up, it is a brilliant little printer that can be printed from via a mobile phone, tablet etc.,
on 22 September 2013
Nice compact design without bits sticking out so suitable where space confined. Easy to install from printer display screen instructions with supplied cd or online. I did both - online for our pc and from disk for laptop. Dialysis screen small but clear typeface easy to read. Allow enough time to customise installation if you do not want to install all the bloat ware, games & for registration which took an age. Printer response time good but scanner noisey/slow in operation but quality good. Quaity of prints good. Have tested all basic functions but not tried printing photo's yet. Easy to access innards and install cartridges from large flip up lid under document bed which is important for those of us who are 50+ with dodgy hands. So far so good and happy with my purchase.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 27 September 2015
I would give 4 stars because I don't want to do injustice to this printer as the majority who will buy this will be a home office user. That is, if you want to print out documents and a few photos occasionally without too much complaint on photo quality - look no further. This is the printer for you.

However, if you are an art student (like me) or a person who needs to print high quality photos - look elsewhere. This printer only uses 2 ink cartridges, black and tricolour, which means colour mixing will not be perfect. I did a test and printed out one of my digital drawings (see photo attached), when you look closely, you will notice tiny red dots on skin colour. For me who needs to constantly print photos of my artwork this is not an ideal printer. I am rating this printer 4 stars as I think it is still a decent printer but this is just not for me, I should have paid that extra 30 pounds and gone for the extra mile to get a more heavy duty one anyway.
review image
on 3 March 2014
I researched inkjet printers for one that had paper load & print output at the front because the printer locates under my desk. I also was very aware that not all printer software/drivers are compatible with windows 8.1. The service from Amazon was first class and the printer was delivered before the estimated time, it all suddenly went downhill when I tried to install the printer on to my desktop HP Pavilion computer. I used the cd enclosed and set up the wifi link ok and the other various bits of software but the printer would not print from the computer and messages from the trouble-shooter said the drivers were for windows 7? After trying to sort out the problem by looking at the HP website and getting know where fast I removed the downloaded software and then installed the printer with the basic driver in windows 8. At last the printer worked, the software drivers are so difficult to download and get to work it spoils the otherwise very good printer. The print results are good but then they should be, even if a little slow compared with my old printer. It beggars belief that a major manufacturer could turn out a printer that caused so much stress to set up.