4.2 out of 5 stars1,183

VINE VOICEon 13 November 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Like most men I find shaving a complete chore. For most of my adult life I have always wet shaved and only used an old electric shaver and handful amount of times. I was never overly impressed with the feel and finish of an electric shaver, but after using this Philips shaver I was almost instantly converted.

I had to keep the Shaver on charge for a good few hours before using it and I was sceptical that it could ever give me a closer shave than a wet shave could. I was wrong. The 3 heads on the shaver gives you an extremely close shave and I was impressed at just how smooth it was. You can also wet shave with the shaver and I tried this also, but I reverted back to using it dry. It probably took my skin about a week to adapt to the dry electric shaves but it is totally worth it. No more expensive razor heads and shaving foam, just a straight forward recharge and you are good to go for around 5 or 6 shaves, the only slight downside is that you tend to need more shaves per week.

My beard is extremely think so I probably get less shaves than most men do after the battery has been recharged and I would estimate that a guy with less beard thickness would probably get 7 or 8 shaves out of the battery per recharge. But I certainly couldn't go back to wet shaving now. I am totally converted to the electric shaver and this is the highest praise I could possibly give this device.
0Comment150 of 161 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 19 November 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
From some perspectives, this shaver is more basic than the first Philips shaver I owned more than 10 years ago. My reason for saying this is because this particular model does not incorporate a neck trimmer, something which I have had on every other electric shaver I've owned. However, on the other hand, no other shaver I've owned has been fully waterproof. On this basis, I guess there has been a trade off between functionalities and I suppose the wisdom of this depends on your needs.

Putting this trade off in features aside, there is absolutely nothing wrong with the core function of this shaver. In fact, I would go as far as to say that it offers a much smoother shave than some of the more expensive models I've used in the past, although this may be due in part to the fact that this has new blades and I can't fully remember the performance of the others when new!

There is a key flaw in this product however and that is in relation to the charging time. One of the first things which you are warned not to do is to use the shaver while plugged in, however, not everyone has eight hours to wait (charging time) before having a shave. Fair enough, you can charge it overnight, however there also does not appear to be a low battery warning light so one can never be sure when it actually needs a charge. A minor plus side is that a single charge seems to last a reasonably long time and I have found that I can easily get a month's use out of it when used every day (or sometimes every other day).
0Comment20 of 22 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
TOP 100 REVIEWERon 3 October 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
If you are looking for a good basic shaver of this design, this model is a good option. It doesn't come with add-ons or gadgets. If you want a intigratated sideburn or beard trimmer, you need to order a different model such as:

Philips RQ1195/17 SensoTouch wet and dry electric shaver

If you want the upgrade including the automatic cleaner, this is quite pricey and I don't think it does anything more than you can do manually with a brush. And the cleaning gadget does take up bathroom shelf space.

Philips Senso Touch Wet and Dry Electric Shaver with Jet Clean System

The instructions are minimal and pictorial so I recommend viewing the instructional video above. I was interested to learn that the casing is entirely waterproof and you can shave while showering. I have never been in this much of a hurry but suffice it to say that, to clean or rinse of foam, it is perfectly safe to run it under the tap. The lack of instructions is no real problem since you simply charge and go.

I charged mine for eight hours initially as the instructions stated. However, subsequently I have found it charges much quicker after the initial charge.

It gives a comfortable close shave if you're shaving every day. You do not need to apply much pressure while shaving which makes it good for anyone whose skin is easily irritated. It's not that great for heavy stubble, though.

The RRP seems a little steep which is why I docked it 1 star, but I would recommend this shaver as an everyday basic appliance providing you can get it for a good price.
on 12 October 2013
First impressions were good. Nice design, good weight to it and easy to use with shaving gel and cleaning afterwards. But the performance lets it down. I cannot get clean first shave, need to shave twice and even then reaching the edges and nooks to ensure no missing bristles. So it takes twice as long as a wet razor would without a guaranteed close shave at the end.
0Comment31 of 35 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 3 July 2014
I have had this product for only 6/7months using it only 3/4 times a week and it no longer gives me any shave at all.
11 comment18 of 20 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 15 January 2014
Well, I don't know if I have a faulty one, going by the number of reviews on here citing it as a good close shave... I've been shaving daily since buying it, tried it wet and dry, and it makes very little attempt at cutting hairs. Skin, yes, but not hairs - I last shaved a few minutes ago, but have a five o'clock shadow and sore skin... It gains its 2 stars for being comfortable to hold and a decent price (when on offer!), but you get what you pay for, and it looks like I'm going to have to go out and buy a replacement.
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This Philips shaver delivers its core functionality effectively but falls below the line in some important areas - it might be a "no frills model" but the cost cutting has gone too far. On the positive side the three "Comfort" cutting heads are sprung and give a reasonably close shave, plus, do not seem to irritate my skin like some other shavers do. Ergonomically, the shape is good making the shaver easy to hold and manoeuvre. Also,the fact that the unit is waterproof means that you can simply rinse it under the tap and let it dry out - this is a genuinely useful feature but common on most shavers now.

On the face of it all sounds positive so far but there are a number of downsides to the Philips AT899/16. Firstly, the charging time is 8 hours to give you 45 minutes of shaving time - most rechargeable appliances now work for as long as they take to charge or even longer - this aspect of performance is not in line with contemporary standards/expectations. In addition, the battery charge remaining isn't clearly indicated - given the length of time charging takes you need to plan for it so a clear indication of an impending depleted battery is essential. Also, there's no built in trimmer for sideburns etc. - in the past few shavers have been made without this feature and its absence takes cost cutting to a new extreme. The same also applies to absence of a case - yes, a flimsy plastic cover is supplied for the cutters but no case, again, this is a new low.

I had a look round at other brands of shaver in this price range and whilst it is hard to know how well they actually shave, most of them do incorporate a trimmer and battery indicator plus significantly shorter charging time. In summary, the shaving performance of this unit is good but it is simply too austere even allowing for its price and market position.
22 comments147 of 169 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon 11 October 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This is my 4th shaver (2 other Philips and one Remington) and this is the most comfortable I have used. No irritation whatsoever even when shaving quite long 6 day stubble.

The shaver feels comfortable and gives a close finish.

As far as the result and the feel of it I can't fault it, however there are a couple of problems for me. The main one is that there is no pop-out trimmer. I use this all the time to make sure where my hair meets my face (or sideburns) are neat and level. Without the pop-up trimmer getting neat sideburns is very difficult. What this means is I have to hang on to my old Remington just to trim my sideburns before shaving... very annoying.

Secondly, there is no indication of battery life other than the LED on the front which shows you when the battery is low. Maybe I was spoiled with my last shaver which told me how many minutes were left. With an 8 hour charge time I don't want to unnecessarily charge the shaver when there are still a few shaves left in it. I end up just charging it before going away on holiday whether the LED flashes or not.

Positives:
+ very comfortable shave
+ Good close shave
+ Comfortable and lightweight unit

Negatives
- Missing a pop-up trimmer
- Long recharge time
- Limited battery indicator

Overall, if getting a neat line for your sideburns isn't an issue then this is a great shaver and I would recommend it. However the lack of pop-up trimmer is a big deal for me.
0Comment27 of 31 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon 19 November 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Few brands offer a close and comfortable shave, Philips however are one that do. The solid build quality and ergonomic shape means that it's comfortable to hold, balanced, and the well placed and engineered power switch and display means that when you've packed for that all important holiday you can trust you shaver will still be charged when you get to your destination. The `comfort cut' shaving heads and `Skin Glide' surface allow for a close but comfortable shave. The `Wet & Dry' feature allows for the use of foam or not, giving you more choice. And the easy clean flip cap means you can simply rinse the head under the tap when switched on.

Despite it's rather obvious recycled box material and no frills interior, the shaver is securely packaged and comes with power adaptor (to 2 pin shaver plug), a brush for cleaning, plastic head cap and the usual paperwork. I was slightly disappointed not to see a small case or neoprene pouch which some of the others in the Philips range do. I would debate the 8 hour charge and 45mins shaving times with Philips but for most, the battery will hold up just fine. The Lithium Ion battery itself usually guarantees several good years of battery life before you'll notice any sort of degradation. As someone who doesn't shave every day, I did find the Aqua Touch wasn't quite as good for cutting after a few days growth as some others and found myself going over the same spot a few times more than I would expect, but for the price and build quality, it's a shaver you can't argue with and will make any gentleman a happy soul come Christmas day.
0Comment65 of 75 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 6 August 2015
Doesn't shave well at all. I could shave five times with razor by the time it took me to shave once with this "shaver". If it was cheap I would have understood, but at this price it's horrible.