4.3 out of 5 stars1,707

on 30 March 2014
I got this set for my grandparents who were plagued by sales calls daily. My grandmother suffers from dementia, whilst my grandfather is blind, so I was very cautious about forcing change on them. However after some initial learning problems, two weeks later my grandparents report the sales calls have stopped, and they are delighted with the phones.

My complaint about these phones is although they've been designed for old people, they are still far too complicated and can do far too much. In the end I had to configure the phone simply to block all payphone, foreign and withheld numbers, and that after nine rings pass them through to the a recorded message that tells them to go away. When blocking a call the display flashes up that it is blocking a call, but does not enable the backlight and it does not ring.

My grandmother was frankly terrified at the idea of the answerphone - the base unit just has too many buttons without any intelligible order. The phone book is also quite complicated to operate, and the way numbers scrolled was disconcerting for my grandmother. Fortunately the phone has a nine number speed dial facility too - press and hold 1 to 9, and it'll dial a number without any further button presses.

To assist the crossover to the new phones, I left the existing phones plugged in and just turned off their ringers, however so far my grandparents haven't yet had to use them as they've managed with the new phones.
11 comment|105 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 10 September 2013
I have always used BT phones, but the cells showing the persons name and telephone
number on my answerphone were dying of old age, which was an excuse for a new one.
I read all the literature on the BT phones, and thought that the BT 4500
was the one. I love the size of it, the buttons are big, and is really nice to handle and very easy to programme.
I give it 10/10.
0Comment|135 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
My elderly mother was having real problems with nuisance callers - and with rapidly decreasing mobility it was sad to see her fight her way to the (tethered) phone and, if she made it in time, to be greeted by either a dead phone or someone offering her recompense for PPI that she had never bought. The crunch came when I answered the phone on a visit and was greeted by someone that told me that my computer at this address had developed a security fault and he would fix it for me - after I explained that the number was owned was a 90 years old who wouldn't recognised a computer if it hit her over the head, he became obscenely abusive.It appears that registering with the Telephone Preference Service has little effect on these calls as they are made from outside of the UK.

BT advice was to buy the 4500. They could have sold it direct to me (but the price was higher than Amazon!). I took their advice and bought a two phone system, placing the main phone where the corded had been and the other by my mother's favourite seat in the back of the house (so she wouldn't have to walk).

Set up was as simple as it could be - a walk through menu - and I took the option of blocking all overseas numbers and numbers with-held. Easy. If you want a really secure setup, then key in the family numbers that you have as favourites and then accept calls from only those numbers. When someone rings from a blocked number the call will be answered by the answering machine automatically and the phone won't even ring - my mother can then call back anyone who cares to leave a message if she wishes, or just ignore them. Does the job and does it well it seems.

One important thing to remember with these - and all other cordless phones - is that they don't work if the mains power is cut off for any reason. Make sure that you have at least one other corded phone that doesn't require external power (i.e., is connected just by the phone plug) connected for use in such an emergency.
99 comments|306 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 19 October 2013
It has performed as a wanted, I am partially deaf
and I can have conversations without having to
increase the volume.
0Comment|131 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 23 September 2013
This is really effective at cutting out those nuisance calls that seems to interrupt every mealtime. We have all unavailable, number withheld and international calls go straight through to answer machine. If a genuine caller they can leave a message but we haven't had one left yet!!!
11 comment|97 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 24 August 2013
If you are looking for brilliant phones, these are the ones for you!!. Large numbers & crisp sound and extremely easy to set up. They are very good value for the money. I did my homework and these were the best I could find and my wife & I are really happy with them. Thanks B.T. you have done us proud.

Amazon did their bit & they arrived the very next day.... I am a very happy little bunny!!. Many thanks to all.
0Comment|107 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 26 November 2013
My parents love these phones. Big buttons and hands free. They love putting it on hands free so they can listen and chat together when we call them. It is idea for them they are in their 80's
on 18 August 2013
I previously tried the 6500 with but it did not work in my environment but I so liked the features of it I thought I would give this a try and this has even better features, you have an amplify button on the side a big record button and because it is that much bigger most of the buttons like phone book have text instead of symbols it is more stylish I think than the 6500
22 comments|79 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 24 October 2014
This phone last 2 months, and then the speaker in the phone itself which rings has died. So, if it is not at the base when someone calls you have to find it. It's hilarious that if you take the phone off and hit the "find phone" button on the base the phone has a message on the screen which says "here I am!", but silently. Went onto Amazon to return it, but there is no option to return it, even for faults - although I will try and contact Amazon directly regarding this matter, but not sure how at the moment.

Rubbish phone - only bought it because it won't get muddled with the other phones in our office, as most of them all look so alike, and this one was clearly different. It got nicknamed the toy phone, as it is clunky and doesn't look quite real!
on 23 June 2014
Great phone.. bought for my parents (84 and 85). Lovely clear buttons for fading eyesight and not so nimble fingers to press. Great amplifier button on the side of the phone to turn the volume up so they can hear it even if they haven't got round to putting their hearing aids in! The answer phone has good volume and plays messages back clearly. The slight complaints I have are that sometimes, when the volume is high, the quality of the sound isn't so good.. a bit 'tinny'.. and secondly, somehow, my mum keeps catching the 'mute' button and so I keep 'losing' her! Not noticed anyone on all the other reviews say this is a problem though, so I think it is just 'operator error'.. but as we live 60 miles away, we can't just pop over to sort it out. But still given it 5* as it seems to be the best one around. So if you buy it for elderly parents, just help them know what not to touch - unless of course they intend to! :)