Shop now Shop Now Shop now Shop Cyber Monday Deals Week in Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Amazon Fire TV Shop now DIYED Shop now Shop Fire Kids Edition Shop Kindle Voyage Listen in Prime Shop now Shop now

Format: Audio CDChange

on 15 July 2013
'Blurred Lines' is the sixth studio album from R&B singer/songwriter Robin Thicke.

In his previous offerings, Robin has leaned towards his well established soulful charm which oozes suaveness and sex-appeal and he has done so without causing too much of a storm, tending to be better known for his more collaborative expertise. That all changed with the title single/video 'Blurred Lines'; causing controversy in the media, introducing men to Emily Ratajkowski and introducing women to the prior concealed arrogant swagger of Robin Thicke.

Success at last? By record sales, maybe, but potentially (as is often the case) at the expense of originality and musical intrigue.

Robin's intention in this record (as set out by the single) was to have more fun and as a result pull out some more club-worthy tracks. I'm in no doubt that 'Give it 2 U' (which features the uber-current Kendrick Lamar) will be another huge hit and although it is perhaps soured by Robin's arrogant promise of a "big d*** for you" it stands out as the best track on the record.

However, if you leave out the title track, which I think we have all heard enough of by now, the album comes in at just over half an hour. Does that really suffice? Also it seems the American release (at the end of July) includes three extra tracks.

The more soulful offerings ('Ooo La La' and 'Get In My Way') are more upbeat than sexed-up, which is more in-keeping with the record's premise and suit the impending summertime fairly well. They do however lack an originality and freshness that leaves them all too forgettable; much to the contrary of his previous more romantic bossa-nova affairs.

In fact I think keen followers of his previous work will be deeply disappointed; and if you are new to Robin Thicke, don't let this album put you off his excellent older albums. It's clear that Robin Thicke's undeniable talent lies in true R&B and Soul. This is not one of those records. And whilst we should not expect a continuation of theme in any artist, I'm not sure if this is a fitting departure.

Whilst this is clearly not a classic, there are still two or three fairly catchy records that should last the summertime (just about). But beyond this year I don't expect this album to be re-played like one may be compelled to with his other albums.

Listen to: 'Give it 2 U', 'Feel Good', 'Top Of The World'
on 18 July 2013
I am a bit disappointed with this album, maybe it was rushed or maybe Robin was trying to keep up with the kids, but this album is no where near the same calibre as his past ones. He has got a different sound and vibe with this album, but the only good song that I can listen to on repeat, apart from Blurred Lines (even though this song was a bit over played and overrated), is Feel Good (which isn't at all like the usual Mr Robin Thicke - its quite clubby & dancey, but smooth & really catchy), the rest is either forgettable, a bit annoying or sounds like something you've heard from someone else before. Robin is so talented vocally & lyrically, but some of the songs lyrics on this album are so basic & more cheesy than a block of mature cheddar, & sound like a 7 year old wrote them. I don't know if Robin is running out of ideas or something, but this album sounds like random B-Sides and there is a very blurred line of quality here. I have only given him 2 stars because I usually like his music & think he is great, and I was looking forward to this album, (even though its only a year since his last one - which could be the reason this one sounds rushed), but I also gave him 2 stars because the overall production of the CD is ok. However I think this album will fade into the blurred line of forgettable very quickly, hopefully he will do better next time!
on 22 August 2013
"Blurred Lines" by Robin Thicke (deluxe edition) combines the elements of R&B music with dance beats in a cunning manner. Thicke's previous music offering "Love After War" showcased the theme of romance in a vulnerable and serious way. In contrast, "Blurred Lines" explores love and relationships in a playful, light-hearted style. "Blurred Lines", "Give It 2 U" (feat. Kendrick Lamar), "Feel Good", "Get In My Way", and "Put Your Lovin On Me" are some of the multiple pleasing songs that symbolize living a favorable existence in life. I enjoyed the club inspired hits in "Blurred Lines", but also enjoy the moments where he pours his romantic side out such as in "The Rest Of My Life." I read somewhere online that Paula Patton encouraged his creative expression for the music video in "Blurred Lines." Obviously, she is helping him feel safe to artistically express himself. May they have many more close, loving, and inspired years together. "Blurred Lines" by Robin Thicke is great for those who have enjoyed any of his previous works and/or like music mashups of eurodance with R&B.
on 7 December 2013
I bought the CD from a service station on a long journey - neither a big fan nor caught up in the controversy or hype, just a music lover. I've listened to it a good few times in the car on long journeys and now at home. I'd like to think I'm taking an objective view when I say this album is really good. Varied, no fillers, high quality, sexy songs, romantic songs all produced with care. Make me dance and move, groove and smile. All the things good music should do. Really difficult to pick favourites probably 'take it easy on me' and 'feel good' for dance/movement potential - and 'feel good' to ... feel good. Influences and references dripping all over the music like syrup over solid tunes and melodies.
on 20 October 2013
Back in 1993 I got a copy of The Evolution of Robin Thicke....pure class. Vocally up there with Teddy, Donald Fagan, Luther and yes, even Stevie and Marvin. I've been buying this mans music ever since. Sadly as catchy as Blurred Lines is, to me it's all about clever production...lyrically leaves me cold. This album has a couple of Thicke of old tracks for long-time lovers of the man's music but sadly it feels a bit like when people 'discovered' Marvin Gaye when Sexual Healing became a commercial hit; I'm now losing interest. Hopefully it's a blip and one day he'll be back to his musical genius. Meh.
on 13 September 2013
Really pleased with this purchase. The CD h Has a slight " prince" feel to it. Very hip hoppy and upbeat.
on 22 July 2013
So far few of the singles have lived up to the hype of the first single Blurred Lines. Having said that it is a good listen and I have a sneakt suspicion a lot of the songs will be growers. It reminds me a lot of Justin Timberlake in a good way.
on 30 December 2013
Great very good my daughter loves it for a Christmas guift thanks very m6ch buy againn no problem at al
on 24 November 2013
I was really expecting this to be a regretful purchase with only one stand out track - the marmite one that seemed to have caused so much controversy. But the whole album is brilliant - though a bit de ja vu in bits. But if you like Plan B ( Strictkland Banks ) Justin Timberlake's early stuff, George Michael , Prince etc then you'll love this. Pad.A
on 7 October 2013
Arrogant, Misogynistic and imitative! This album is so poor and the singer so reprehensible that its almost painful to write a review about him, but i feel compelled to, people should be discouraged from having any part of this pseudo-singers attempt to be an artist. Just say no.