on 10 September 2013
We wanted an easy to install solar-powered light to illuminate the car park thus helping our clients during the darker evenings without the hassle and expense of running mains leads to a floodlight and sensor.
The Eye Solar was easy to install and with the extended cables allowed us to mount the lamp and sensor facing West but the solar panel facing South thus giving it maximum charging time. The LED lamp is bright enough to illuminate the car park and the adjustable timer allows us to ensure that it is on for neither too short nor too long a period. Overall an excellent purchase.
on 11 September 2013
I had bought several solar products from Solar Centre already which I was very pleased with so was very interested when I saw this light. The light was packaged well and delivered on time. My husband found it very easy to mount on our outside wall and easy to set up also. Its SO BRIGHT! excellent value for a solar light. You can also set the time that the light stays on for, which gives us enough time to exit our car, lock it and see clearly to the house, which is what we wanted.
on 28 August 2013
I ordered the Solar Centre eye because the lamp unit could be mounted to floodlight the garden, with the sensor placed on the garage wall approaching the garden. The solar panel is elsewhere, attached to an upper floor dormer and angled at the sun but reachable from the window for periodic cleaning. Imagine the tedium of getting out the ladders every year to do this.

Unlike most of these lamps, which turn off in seconds, this eye has been set to stay lit for 10 minutes, long enough to give the dog a brief turn round the lawn before bed (dogbed) time, or to bring in the washing without needing braille clothes pegs.

We have not been disappointed. The kit seems well made, with rainproof looking joints and seams. Unlike my previous solar forays, I felt no urge to dismantle it and smear silicon round the joints after taking it out of the box. The instructions are written in your actual English, not by some techie in Guangdong province.

Summer is of course the season when thoughts turn to the sun, and what it can do for us. The real test will be winter; how well will the unit weather? Will the solar panel be able to absorb and store enough energy on short grey winter days to function sufficiently for the long dark evenings ahead? Ask me this in February.

I took the risk of buying this unit before any reviews had been posted because I had heard that the Solar Centre was a reputable and a knowledgeable supplier, not just a box-shifter. This was confirmed for me when I contacted them with a query about setting the timer. They were helpful.

For the money, I suspect this is the best solar light you can buy if you want something with the power of a mains lamp without the expense of an electrician
55 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 17 October 2013
I've had a few previous generation solar lights around the drive and garden and as a general rule it seemed to get darker when they came on!

This new 42 LED light is charging well here in the central belt of Scotland during our ever shortening days and lighting the driveway with a light comparable to a hardwired system when it gets dark.

Two of our neighbours have since bought one which is as good an endorsement as could be hoped.
on 16 September 2013
Second purchase of The Solar Centre products. All great value. This item works a treat, very easy to install, gives great illumination and can be adjusted for Lux levels and Time. Son- in -Law bought 2 for his Business Premises and he also is delighted .
Brentwood ,Essex.
on 10 September 2013
I first purchased some of your PAVERLIGHTS and I was genuinely surprised at how really bright they were and how long they stayed on for ; (from dusk 'till dawn), so much so that when I saw the "eye" security light for sale I had no hesitation in ordering one and BOY AM I IMPRESSED!! I bought the £45 model which has 42 LED's ,and which I would say, is equal to a similarly sized mains light.It was extremely easy to install (I fitted it completely in about 30 mins. or less) and it is absolutely brilliant in every way! It lights the whole driveway up for around half a minute, although I know it can be set from just a few secs. up to about 10 mins.. It looks good whilst not being overly obtrusive and I am recommending it to all my friends and family! Thanks once again for a great product at a great price! Kind regards,Tony.
on 16 October 2013
I live within 200M of the sea shore and the atmosphere, here is demanding and only time will tell if the unit stands up to the salty wind.
I needed a unit that would provide a strong light, equivalent to a 500 watt halogen mains unit to illuminate a steeply sloping drive and pathway from the nearby road pavement. This unit has provided exactly what I required with a simple, effective installation that required no mains electricity or power source.
The illumination is bright, white and reaches approximately 10 x 10 M and covers far more that I needed. It is obviously a security light that will deter intruders effectively.
Installation required a few components - a wooden post 75x75mm x 2 to 3M length dug into the ground; I also secured it with a nylon locking cable tie c 450mm long. The installation was straightforward: the solar panel was screwed to the top of the post, facing south; the light arranged to face the area to be illuminated and the PIR unit (a very well designed unit) to be affixed so that road pedestrians did not cause the unit to illuminate unless anyone entered the house drive. There was more than enough cable and the excess was bagged by two small plastic bags and taped up with insulation tape. The connector between the PIR and the light source was placed into a heat shrink cable covering and further protected with some insulation tape. Cables were secured with insulation tape but clips would be good and practical, too.
Overall impression: a well deserved 5 star unit.

Michael Gaze

I have recommended the local wholesaler EFT of Lewes (R A Roots 01273 474205) should stock these units as they are so cheap and easy to install without need of expensive mains control gear and use of qualified electricians if working in a garden or outside location.
Please delete "constrained" and state Michael Gaze
on 11 September 2013
This item does just what it says on the specs.It was easy to install with plenty of cable and fixings.I can now see when I get out of the car and also feel safer because it lights up the whole of my car port. I am now ordering more for my shed and patio. I have purchased several items from this site and have never been disappointed.
on 16 October 2013
Having bought another very popular make of solar security lights in the past from the solar centre and having had all four of them fail on me in the British rains, I was willing to try another type as the other was obviously not waterproof enough.

The eye is very easy to set up, and produces a great bright light to illuminate my garden path and steps. It hasn't been put to the test of a British winter yet but from how it has been made I am much more confident that it will last. You can locate the pir detector separately from the light itself which in the set up I required was very useful as I wanted to be able to point the detector vertically downwards to pick up anyone exiting the rear door but light up a wider area of path and steps. It does this brilliantly. I have another eye at the rear entry of the garden to light the way back to the door.

The only downside to this product was the lack of an override button to allow you to set it up in daylight and see how long and which way the beam was shining as you usually get on mains lights. I had to wait until dusk to do this on the lowest lux setting. Once the light is set up however this niggle is irrelevant and I am very happy with my purchases.

I would recommend (and have done) this light to friends and family who want the convenience of lights where there is no mains connection.
on 18 November 2013
On opening the box it was immediately apparent that the "eye" was making a serious attempt to be weatherproof, with leads properly sealed to the boxes and a simple method of plugging the units together. My previous light (EVO56) from the same supplier was fine while it lasted. After a while it packed up and could not be fixed at which point I realised it had never really been intended for use in a position even slightly exposed to the weather!

Putting the light itself up was a bit of a fiddle. The choice is to use a very short screwdriver, which is difficult, or take the light off its bracket and use a normal screwdriver. I chose the latter with the inevitable loss of a couple of washers when putting the light back on the bracket. The PIR and solar panel were easy to instal.

After a couple of days it stopped working. After a long exchange of emails with The Solar Centre, where they made a few suggestions and asked me to try a few tests, they sent a replacement PIR. This has worked OK for several days.

The amount of light is more than adequate for my purpose which is to light the area round the front door.

Looks promising. Helpful support. We will have to wait and see how it lasts.