Shop now Shop Now Shop now Shop Cyber Monday Deals Week in Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Amazon Fire TV Shop now DIYED Shop now Shop Fire Kids Edition Shop Kindle Voyage Listen in Prime Shop now Shop now

Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Having received the Philips Sonicare FlexCare toothbrush as a free to review item through the Vine program, I was somewhat curious as to what a >£100 tootbrush would do. I've used electric toothbrushes for years on the recommendation of my dentist, and whilst manual toothbrushes still have a basic place in the home I never thought I would go back; now I *know* I will never go back, and only use my manual toothbrush to clean my alloy wheels.

I have had a variety of issues which require me to be careful with my oral hygiene and more often than not lead to extensive careful brushing regimes. A decent toothbrush obviously helps with this, but I've been scared to spend more than £30.

Easy for me to say; but if you've had problems with teeth and gum sensitivity and particularly gum recession, you will find this an invaluable little device.

So what makes it different?

Let's set aside the UV sanitiser for a second; that's where a lot of the value comes in with this device. The toothbrush is weighty and ergonomic. It's longer than the other two electric toothbrushes I've had in the past (Braun and Colgate respectively). The brush head is also thinner and more traditionally shaped. This allows you to reach the back teeth without awkward posturing and reaching. This is also the first brush I've been able to use to brush the back of the teeth without a problem - possibly because of the shape of the brush head.

Charging is straightforward and keeping the brush clean is easy.

There are three different settings; "clean" "white" and "gum care" - I've tried all three with my usual quarter-mouth brushing style (thirty seconds in each quarter of the mouth) and I can honestly feel no difference between the three. Perhaps there is a slower rotation or some kind of massaging movement... any which way round, this seems a little gimmicky to me.

But the feel of the clean afterwards... very nearly hygienist clean.

An easily recommended product, so long as you can get past the price. I feel it's worth it and your dentist probably will too!
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I've used electric toothbrushes for the last decade but this is my first sonic toothbrush.

After years of using Braun/Oral-Bpower brushes with rotating heads, this was a completely different experience. This Philips Sonicare brush has a conventional-shaped but small brush head and produces a light sensation of 'vibrations' as each brush bristle spins independently (rather than the toothbrush head itself spinning). It also involves a slightly different brushing technique: the 'spinning head' brushes are held to the teeth one at a time while the teeth are brushed but the Sonicare involves the user gently and effortlessly brushing from side to side so the longer bristles penetrate between the teeth.

Without a doubt, it is certainly effective. It tickled slightly for the first few uses until I became used to it and my teeth and gums definitely felt clean, polished and tingly after use.

It's a very easy brush to use - simply hold it like a manual toothbrush and brush the teeth very gently from side to side. The longer bristles reach inbetween teeth very effectively, loosen plaque and blast it away. It's a very gentle method which doesn't involve any aggressive or heavy-duty brushing and I found it more gentle than a rotary brush. The ergonomic shape is very good - the long--stemmed small, slim brush head easily finds hard to reach areas making it very comfortable even for a smaller mouth and no gag-reflex when reaching deep into the back of the mouth.

Just a few days before testing this brush, I had dental surgery which also involved cutting into my gum hence this part of my mouth was very sensitive but the brush is designed to accommodate sensitive patches thanks to its three pressure settings. I used the lowest setting on my surgery area for a very gentle and painless clean then the high setting for the rest of my mouth. At times like this, multiple power settings are appreciated! There is also a gum-care setting to stimulate and massage the gums and a 'white' setting to polish the front teeth. I haven't noticed any whitening effect yet, but it's early days.

In addition to the brush probably providing the best in oral hygiene it's also a hygienic brush to use thanks to its UV brush head sanitiser built into the unit's base. Sonic brush heads require additional care (compared with rotating heads) and UV cleaning is recommended rather than soap, water, bleach etc. so this is a strong selling point for me. Two minutes inside the base unit sanitises the brush head killing 99% of bacteria and viruses keeping the head hygienic. I also noted that this is the only brush I have ever used to be supplied with a hygiene cap for when it's not in use. The ventilated travel case was another welcome addition too and I feel Philips really have thought of everything with this toothbrush and sanitiser package.

This brush and sanitiser package is first-rate and the best I've ever used. It's very powerful but also very gentle, it cleans very deeply between my teeth and it's hygienic. It's not the cheapest but if it keeps my teeth and gums in top condition then the cost can be recouped via reduced bills on the dentist's chair.

I'm converted and would highly recommend this brush to anyone wanting tingly-clean teeth and gums and I'd also recommend it to those with extensive dental work because I feel it's more gentle and less abrasive on restorations. Due to its effortless brushing this would probably also be a good purchase for anyone with a disability for whom dental hygiene is more difficult. A most worthy and confident 5-stars.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 24 July 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Note - I received this free as part of the Amazon Vine program - I am reviewing it based on value for money, quality and so on - I am therefore not applying buyer's remorse or bias!

This isn't actually the top end unit Philips make (that's the Diamond brush) however it's pretty high up there.
If you are determined to have all the features, and the price doesn't matter, buy it - it an excellent brush and all the bits work together.

Still reading? Okay - the problem with this unit is that the cheaper brushes - without the UV - are very very good, and much cheaper. This unit adds a revised handset and the UV lamp. I'll cover both.

As a general comment Sonicare brushes are excellent. I used Oral-B for years, then changed to these and wouldn't go back. Cleaner teeth, amazing battery life - these are excellent tooth brushes.

This brush unit however seems a bit... coarse. The finish is rougher than the soft touch models I've had previously and the rollstop has sharper edges. Nit-picking, sure. It's also seems MUCH more powerful (and noisier) than the other brushes - but I have no idea why. It has various modes, none of which I suspect I'll use (as this is how it's gone with my current multi-mode brush).

The UV works - but I can't help question the point of it. I've brushed my teeth for 30+ years without UV sanitisation. I'm still alive, never been ill, nor ever had a green toothbrush - so what's the point, other than it looks pretty when it's on? I don't think it's worth the money, especially as it's another thing to clean and replace when the bulb goes (UV loses effectiveness over time).

This still suffers the same problem I've found with other units - under the brush and where the charger plugs in are prone to staying wet and growing 'things'. I wash and leave it to dry, however it still is a problem.

Overall, if you don't have an existing brush, this is a good purchase - but definitely look at the cheaper models, without the UV and the extra modes - they clean brilliantly well and all the brush heads are interchangeable - you're not losing anything by getting a cheaper handset. Save the money and buy the more expensive brush heads.
77 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 2 October 2015
This is the second sonicare toothbrush I have had. My last one lasted 3 years and this one has only managed a year and a half. These toothbrushes look good, are good when they work but don't last long enough. Don't waste your money.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 27 September 2014
I have had two. First one battery failed now the second toothbrush will not work (on/off switch).
The are too expensive to be replace every two years. I did not buy mine from Amazon. Costco and John Lewis
VINE VOICEon 28 August 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I've been using the toothbrush for over a week. Impressed? Well the proof is in the pudding and yes my teeth do feel cleaner and smoother than my usual electric toothbrush make.

I found it comfortable to hold and easy to use. I especially liked how the brush narrows to make it easy to handle in the mouth. The actual brush head too is neat. Unlike others on the market it feels light to use but extremely powerful.

A week later and I have not had to charge it which makes a great change from my previous toothbrushes.

Downsides? Very odd vibration feeling after first brushing my teeth with the toothbrush but that soon went. Also hard to know how to use the brush - dentists recommend brushing at 45 degree angles so that the gum line is included in the brushing.

This model also includes the UV head sanitiser. I'm a bit fussy about toothbrushes and the fact that they live in the bathroom, in fairly close proximity to the loo does bug me so I was interested in this. However, I'm not sure that it does anything different or better than simply putting a cap on your toothbrush to protect the head. In fact, these toothbrush heads come with little plastic hats which protect them very nicely.

To sum up, it's a very good toothbrush which stands up to its claims. The vibration takes a little getting used to and it's essential to read the manual, which I imagine most people don't bother doing. The sanitiser is a nice, if unneccesary addition. The toothbrush is worth the money, not sure the sanitiser is worth the extra £20.
on 15 September 2014
I have been using it for over four months now and I'm very happy about the choice.

I choose this one model because of mixed reviews on the latest models and because the latest models dont seem to offer more than this one.

I feel my teeth are better clean compared with the normal toothbrush, they feel smother too however I'm still having concerns whether a powered toothbrush is armful of gums compared to manual toothbrush, but that is my dilemma.

The UV sanitiser works well and has a slightly bigger bulb than the usual UV sanitisers for toothbrush you can find on Amazon.

Battery life on a circa three times/day usage is about two weeks. Hence the travel box while a bit bulky comes handy travelling (up to two weeks there is no need of power supply however the product comes with a travel power supply too).

The only negative aspect to purchasing this product is the expense in finding the right brush head for you. I found a box containing most of the brush heads on the market that Philips make for this and I tried them all for a week and I picked the one that looks like does the best job in my mouth however it's not ideal, as I would have like a combination of different characteristics of some of the brushes but perhaps in the future they will do a new model that will fit my mouth best. The box was not very cheap however.
on 7 April 2015
We have now had two of these brushes. We were very happy with the product overall but both the brushes after about 10 to 11 months a fault developed with the recharging. First they kept cutting out and then would just not charge. Fortunately Amazon Customer Service were brilliant and have replaced both of the faulty toothbrushes with no real hassle. So here we go 3rd time lucky. We also have another Philips Sonicare (HX6932) brush which we have had longer and we have had no problems with.
VINE VOICEon 14 September 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This is our third sonicare brush, and it won't be the last. It is used by all the household including the kids who love it.

The "power" is adaptable with the different modes, and there is a good range of different brush heads available. Those last about the same time as a traditional toothbrush, and in multipacks aren't much more expensive.

Charging is easy as the base unit is on a shelf or window pretty much all the time, and there is a smaller charging unit for travel as well as a very handy hard case for packing the brush.

A big plus for this over rivals is the customer care from Philips. It is exceptional. When one of our first brushes failed close to the end of the warranty, they replaced it quibble free and very quickly.

We can't really comment on the UV sanitiser as there is no real visible effect, but presumably they wouldn't avve put this in if it didn't have some beneficial effect.

So if you are thinking about a sonic toothbrush, go for a Philips Sonicare and you shouldn't be disappointed!
on 2 July 2015
Has failed after less than 18 months, with the battery no longer holding any charge.