on 23 August 2014
I treated myself to this when it was on Deal of the Day for sixty-eight quid, and I am so glad I did. In the promo video one of the people says this gets your teeth "ridiculously clean". She's not wrong!

It's really easy to use, and does a cracking job. I am now a full convert and won't ever go back to a manual brush.

I have not had any serious dental issues as I take reasonable care of my teeth, but recently I have started to develop a couple of sensitive spots. These sensitive spots persisted despite me using enamel repair toothpaste/mouthwash. After just FOUR DAYS with this new brush the sensitive areas disappeared altogether. I did not encounter any of the gum bleeds during the initial week of use which some users report. I also noticed a significant lightening in the shade of my teeth, and the gradual removal of some dark stains which accumulated when I was a smoker.

One thing that surprised me is just how brief a two minute brushing period is when you have a device like this to time it for you. I had always believed that I was under-brushing, but as it turns out time compresses when you use a manual brush. I found you have to be quite nippy with this thing to hit every surface. It does such a thorough job though that you can move it around the mouth much more quickly than you might expect.

The blurb says the InterCare heads remove six times more plaque than manual brushing (why then is the DiamondClean system more expensive when those heads only remove twice as much plaque?). Having flossed manually after using the brush I am inclined to believe that blurb. Virtually nothing came out using dental floss, and an interdental brush only lifted small amounts of matter shortly after eating. The incredibly clean feeling apparently really does come from the teeth being incredibly clean!

If you are coming from a manual toothbrush, I would recommend taking the plunge. I really doubt that you will have any regrets.
on 8 February 2014
I have used an electric toothbrush previously but this far out performs any others. It made my teeth feel 'squeaky clean', I would recommend it to anyone who wants superb dental hygiene. The sonic action does take some getting used to as it is so powerful.
on 6 August 2014
If you want really clean teeth; look no further and buy this brush. I previously had an Oral B Professional Care 2000, but it broke after 2 years. Although the Oral B was good, it is not comparable to the Phillips Sonicare.

The toothbrush head shape is much more effective for cleaning; my teeth look and feel so clean after use, it is like having been to the hygienist. I have only had the brush a week and already I notice the battery life improvement. I have not charged it since it was purchased and I still have 'two bars' of power left.

Well worth the money!
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
In addition to the physical vibration of the bristles on the teeth, `Sonicare' electric toothbrushes utilise ultrasonic cleaning, as used in hospital sterile service units to clean the gunk off surgical instruments. You don't need to move or agitate the brush: just hold it to the teeth upper, lower, left, right, inside, outside then rinse when finished. A timer is incorporated which issues an audible signal every 30 seconds, repeated four times to ensure upper left, upper right, lower left and lower right areas are cleaned properly. We've used other electric toothbrushes which are promoted as `sonic' in the product description, but few of them actually deploy genuine ultrasonic cleaning technology like these from Philips.

This latest `FlexCare Platinum' variant has an attractive contemporary-aesthetic design and looks like a work of art. Two brush heads are supplied (which incidentally do not fit earlier Sonicare models) and the brush has three speed settings and three modes, which might be too much choice for the average user to think about. It comes with carrying case and travel charger.

Be warned that the battery takes 24 hours to charge the first time it's used, but once charged is good for around 30x brushing sessions, so if you're going on a trip for several days you shouldn't need to pack the charger.

Verdict: very stylish, very effective, lots of nice features but at the current price, rather expensive when compared to earlier Sonicare models. My advice: a good choice but if you're on a budget, wait for the price to come down - which it surely will.
on 27 March 2014
I have used Sonicare toothbrushes for over 5 years & this is the best one I've ever had.
It is lighter & quieter than the previous model, plus it has a whitening feature.
Since I have been using the toothbrush I have notice my teeth feel cleaner for longer.
I will never use a manual toothbrush again.
The only downside is the cost of the replacement heads, but then, you get what you pay for.
I would highly recommend this to anyone looking for an electric toothbrush.
on 19 November 2013
the three settings - clean, white, gum health - really do make a difference to the action of the brush head. much the best sonicare i've had.
on 17 December 2013
As described. Brand new. Quick delivery. Nice settings for power range and whether you want to clean or whiten (or Clean then whiten as I do). Can already tell the difference. Very long battery life.
on 18 August 2014
Really loved it until it stopped working eight months after we bought it. Just hope Amazon are good about replacing it.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 7 April 2014
Had this recommended to me by a friend & am not disappointed. Incredible power leaves your mouth feeling like you've been attacked by a dentist with a jackhammer. Brilliant, couldn't recommend it enough. My teeth look & feel better & whiter than before. Excellent, well worth the expense.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 1 August 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
...but it doesn't feel divine.

I used a standard Braun Oral B brush for years, several models over the years. But I found that recently, the model I use just doesn't do a good job of cleaning the gum line. In fact, it does a shoddy job.

So I decided to give this Philips model a chance.

It takes a full 24 hours to charge, which is a long time. The charger is fine, has a nice handy storage feature for the lead to make it shorter if you like. Also 2 holders for brush heads. Two come with it, large and small, along with travel protectors and a nice white plastic travel box for the toothbrush and heads.

The unit is much more customizable than my Braun. You can get rid of the timer feature by deactivating it, and you can use a warm-up feature to slide you in gradually over some days before it gives the full sonic experience. There are three speed settings. There is also a gum care and a polish setting.

Using it is not very pleasant. I am not used to it, true, and maybe I will grow to like it, but using it sends shivers down my spine and my lips and mouth felt numb after using it. The cleaning result seems good - it seems to do a better job than the Braun, but I am not sure I can tolerate the sonic effects. It is pretty extreme. It feels so powerful that I would almost expect it to cause pain to the fillings I have, but it hasn't as yet.

It is very noisy - kind of like cross between a large buzzing insect and a jet engine.

I am just not convinced of this. I mean, it is good at cleaning, but its pretty unpleasant to use. Maybe it will grow on me. I will update my review in the coming weeks to let you know how I get on. Until then, I say it's OK. Good cleaning results, but not sure it is something I can endure.

It is expensive. I don't think the UV unit on the higher model is worth the extra cost. At this moment on Amazon (01-08-13), the model with the UV unit is retailing at one hundred and twelve pounds, whereas this, the next model down, is retailing at one hundred and thirty-nine pounds. That must be some kind of a mistake on Amazon's part.

UPDATE: I prefer my Braun Oral B brush. I still use this brush, perhaps for 1 in 5 cleanings, but I still find it pretty unpleasant.

Update 2: The numbness effect does not last; your mouth will get used to it. The impressive thing about this device is it really holds its charge, including when not in regular use. I use mine perhaps once a week, using the Braun Oral B alternative the rest of the time. My Philips keeps its charge for weeks at a time.
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse