KitSound Hive Bluetooth Wireless Portable Stereo Speaker for iPhone/iPad/Android/Windows Devices - Pink
Style Name: HiveColour Name: PinkChange
Price:£39.00+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on 20 March 2015
Having owned this speaker for a few weeks now i can safely say this is by far the best blutooth speaker in its catagory.
I tend to use this style of speaker often whilst cooking in a noisy kitchen, as a teaching aid for music playback and also for listening to music in the garden.
I have previously used speakers from "Phillips, Sony and Bush". This is just a completely different kettle of fish. The quality of sound compared to other similarly priced units is very noticable. Bass response is clear and NEVER distorts even when pushed to the limit. Trebbles and mids are punchy and and balanced with the bass well.
The fit and finish are second to none and the unit feels like it will outlast any rivals especially with the bespoke carry case. It also looks classy in black.
Connectivity could not be simpler. It looks like you can daisychain these together aswell which is a big bonus if you want extra power.
Although "Kit Sound" is a fairly new kid on the block, i would seriously consider looking into their speakers before going with some of the obvious manufacturers, i guarantee you will be surprised.
I am already looking into the hive headphones by Kit Sound as my next purchase.
Keep the products coming.
on 17 April 2015
Excellent for what it is, sound quality is great as long as your expectations are realistic. Obviously a portable speaker of this size is never going to sound like a proper hi-fi, it's not something I'd recommend as your only source of audio at home. However, this is great as a portable unit that's good for camping trips, hotels, out in the garden etc or just as a quick and easy boost to the audio output of a laptop. I've previously used the popular X-mini speakers and, in volume terms, this sounds roughly comparable to two of those daisy chained together but the sound quality of the Hive is better and whereas the X-minis tend to bounce around all over the place and fall over this is much more stable. The 'passive bass radiator' on the bottom actually does seem to help extend the bottom end a bit, particularly if the speaker is placed on a hard surface and the bass response is pretty good (again - if you're realistic about what can be achieved at this size and price). I've had no problems with the bluetooth but I do tend to use the 3.5mm stereo jack more often simply because it uses less battery power both on the speaker and on whatever device I'm using to play music from. The battery life is excellent too, I've certainly had more than the advertised 10 hours out of a full charge when connected through the jack input. For about a quarter of the price of a Bose Soundlink Mini you can't go wrong.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
The first thing I noticed about the Hive as I call it, was how impressed I was by the quality of the box it arrived in. As an Apple girl I am used to quality products arriving in quality boxes. So, I set about taking it out of the box to find a really excellent quality jet black protective zippered hard case (in the shape of the Hive!) with an attached strong carabina so that I could hook my Hive safely to my backpack when out hiking if I wanted to etc. I was loving these features before I even got to using the Hive for the first time!

The Hive comes with its own built in Lithium-ion rechargeable battery and comes complete with a USB charging cable that you can charge your Hive with via a USB port on your computer or via a USB wall charger. I’ve charged it up by both methods over the past few weeks. It takes around 3 hours to fully charge the battery and you can see that it is in charging mode when the LED indicator light flashes red. To let you know its fully charged, the red LED indicator light will go out.

You can connect to your mobile, laptop or tablet easily via Bluetooth or the included 3.5mm Audio Cable and I have tested and used this unit liberally with my iPod Classic, iPhone 5s, iPad 4 Retina and MacBook Pro Retina, it worked brilliantly with all and no problems pairing at all with anything. Hubby has also used this with his iPod Nano but had to connect via the audio cable as his iPod does not have Bluetooth. The sound quality is brilliant regardless of the input unit. I’ve listened to music and audio books.

After fully draining the battery twice during testing I can confirm that I achieved the stated 10 hours of use from a single charge. If there is just one let-down with the Hive it is that you can’t passthrough and use it whilst its charging and I wish that was indeed a feature, but that’s the only thing I could complain about here and to be honest, most Bluetooth speakers don’t let you use whilst they are charging so maybe I am just being greedy here, its perfect in every way. I really love it, it meets my somewhat fussy standards in every way.

A really cool feature of the Hive is that it will turn itself off after 15 minutes if you’re not using it, so you’re not going to drain your battery if you forget to turn it off, but this feature only works when the unit is in Bluetooth mode.

A comprehensive instruction booklet is included which explains everything clearly and in plain English and it tells you everything you need to know.

This beautifully designed Bluetooth speaker is a wonder of British engineering. They’ve got everything just right. The shape which resembles the Bee’s home of the same name, the sound quality which is phenomenal, you get a whole 5W of power in such a small, portable and beautifully designed unit. If you like your high-end gadgets like me, you’ll love this. If you like the premium look and feel of matte black you’ll love the Hive, its seriously smooth to the touch on the outer.

Included in the box is:

> KitSound Pocket Hive Bluetooth Speaker
> Micro USB charge cable
> 3.5mm cable (nice long length)
> Carry case
> Instruction booklet

Its small, light, exceedingly well built, LOUD and POWERFUL and gives crystal clear sound and it costs a quarter of the price of the Bose Soundlink Mini that I bought when it first launched. Incredible value for money, truly.

I’ve taken this all over the place since I’ve had it to review and the sound quality has never failed to impress those around me. I’ve also taken to using the Hive when listening to my audio books, the sound quality is just so clear. Very impressive.

I was sent this model to review but I am so impressed my next purchase from here is going to be a Pink Hive, because it just looks great! and will look fab in my bedroom. The hexagonal passive bass radiator on the base of the unit does indeed provide deep and well-balanced sound and there is no distortion at all, even at high volumes.

As a gal one of the things I also love visually, is the pinky/purple LED light on the front of the Hive when its in use. Pretty cool.

The Hive rocks!

RECOMMENDED !!!

NOTE: I was contacted directly and was sent this product for free. I was asked to use it fully and to write an honest, unbiased review. My being given a free item in no way influenced my review of this product.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
Overall it's a good piece of kit, sound is surprisingly deep and clear (especially if you put it on a nice resonant surface). Only thing that stops it being five stars is that sometimes if gets a high-frequency buzz / whine if you use the 3.5mm cable rather than bluetooth.
on 21 March 2013
A great speaker in my opinion. I did a little box opening season so you can see it in more detail then the pics but was really impressed by the build quality of this product! Remember - this is made by the same people who make the BoomDock and that thig is epic!
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 2 January 2015
I bought this speaker on the "Black Friday” sale at Amazon a few weeks back and is very nice little speaker with really good design. The sound is very clear but the speaker lacks the deep bass that I was looking for when playing music. The sound is good if you are listning to audio books but that was not my main reason for this purpose so I was a little bit dissapointed. It came with a small bag for the speaker, a normal USB micro charger cable and a flat no tangle 3.5mm to 3.5mm speaker cable if your device doesn’t have Bluetooth. Pairing it with my iPhone 6 was very simple and the battery time is also good.

Before buying this speaker I also looked at Bose SoundLink Mini and I actually got that speaker as a Christmas gift a week ago and I have now had chance to compare the two speakers side by side and I must say the sound quality of the Bose is outstanding especially the bass. I can crank up the volume really lound and it will completely fill the room with an excellent sound. I also like the docking station that Bose provides which means I always have a fully charged speaker that is ready to go. The Bose SoundLink Mini is however four times more expensive than the KitSound Hive and despite that I would still reccomend the Bose SoundLink Mini because of the sound quality and in the end that is why you buy a speaker. Don’t get me wrong the KitSound Hive is an amazing value for money but it will not give you the same sound experience.
on 28 September 2014
Based on the positive reviews and having heard (and been frankly underwhelmed with) some of the comparable models available from other manufacturers first hand, I thought this was worth a go at this price... I was still expecting to be disappointed, given the small size and low price, but I was very pleasantly surprised! This kind of product generally has a tinny sound with a distorted, eye-watering bass, but that isn't the case here. I have now spent a weekend with the Hive, listening to a variety of music from dance to indie, and I've been impressed. I should start by saying I have used a friend's Bose unit of comparable size and found it had an excessively accentuated mid-bass and top end treble that seems initially impressive but is ultimately really tiresome to listen to for any length of time. On the other hand, whoever designed this unit should be congratulated for producing something that is really pleasant to listen to in the longer term. Of course, something this tiny can't compete with a full-size hi-fi, but it does an impressive job nonetheless. I still can't quite believe how much distortion-free volume it can produce from such tiny drive units. The passive bass port on the bottom sounds like a gimmick but actually works incredibly well and the overall sound is a nice, warm and rounded sound provided you put it on a hard surface (like a table) and close to a wall or similar reflecting surface. The money has definitely been spent on the critical ingredients here, so the carry case is just a basic velvet-fabric wallet with drawstring (still reasonable quality) and there are just the 3.5mm and micro-USB cables included; some people seem to rave about the packaging - yes, it's quite nice, but fortunately this isn't where the money has been spent either! Battery life better than quoted. Only downside is that at max volume it can eventually vibrate it's way off the table! All-in-all though, really the best unit in this class that cannot be beaten :)
on 31 January 2015
I bought this as a present for a member of the family who was very impressed with my Bose Soundlink Mini. Now I love my sister to bits but no way could I afford to get her a Bose so I took the plunge and got the Hive speaker. Its slightly smaller than the Bose but the sound quality is very nearly on par with its more expensive rival, crisp high notes that don't distort, mellow mid range, and a very good amount of down firing bass that you can feel. It has a very warm, soft, rubbery feel to the case that makes it very easy to handle and the "honeycomb" design makes it stand out from the crowd. Pairing up is very simple and it has a very good range, easily covers the length of the house and has enough ooomph in it to fill your average sized room. All in all a very good buy and if I didn't have the Bose I would definitely have one of these.
on 1 February 2015
Absolutely love these speakers! My friend had his similar BOSE speakers with him and I did a comparison between the two. Honestly, the sound is clearer within the Kitsound Hive speakers and the bass pump is so good for such a size! The price is superb and you get more than what you pay for quality wise. Do not be afraid to buy it, the biggest difference I felt between the two speakers were that the BOSE speakers had a slightly (very unnoticable) stronger bass kick and the grip within KS when you place it on the table could be a bit better when on full volume, because on heavier bass tracks it starts moving a bit. But that is not a big problem in my opinion. Would recommend it to anyone! Worth the money! You save a fortune and get excellent quality!
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 7 March 2015
I use my pocket hive as a speaker for my phone and iPod for work.
The pocket hive was recommended to me by a friend as a replacement for my old work speakers.

The carry case is soft but robust enough to protect the speaker and has a handy little clip on it which is useful to hang it from a belt loop or rucksack.
There's a separate compartment in the top of the case which is big enough to house the 3.5mm aux input cable and a charge cable.

It's small size makes it easy to transport and it takes up next to no room wherever I use it.
It is so compact that It'll be ideal to take to festivals/ camping/ on holiday this year.

The Bluetooth, once setup, pairs quickly with my phone and I use the aux input connected to the phone jack on my iPod.
I haven't had any high pitched buzzing as reported on earlier reviews but my phone automatically pairs even when I use the aux.

The battery is as good as it says in the instructions and after an initial overnight charge I used the speaker for nearly two days without needing to recharge.

When I first tried the speaker I couldn't believe how punchy the sound was!
Considering it's barely 9cm tall and 8cm wide, the power and range of sound is quite simply staggering!
I've tried many different speaker options over the last couple of years and by comparison the Pocket hive Is louder, higher quality but much less expensive.

If a friend has another pocket hive you can link units together using 3.5mm jack to jack cables.... I haven't tried that yet but hope to soon.

All in all a fantastic speaker for the size.

See one answered question