Format: DVDChange

on 15 October 2013
Let me start by saying that people keep knocking this movie, saying that the book is so much better, well it's not, not everyone reads books, some people actually like to see it on the big screen, and as the author of the book also served as director on the movie, I'm guessing he was pleased with it too. This film is absolutely stunning, the locations, the acting and the amazing twist I never saw coming! Julianna Hough is a rising star who shone throughout this film, and paired with Josh Duhammel, was very clever and worked! Beautiful story and stunning in HD. Dare I say it.... It may even be better than "The Notebook"
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 4 March 2013
I have just seen this film at the Cinema, and is every bit as good as the write up for this film, It captures the heart and makes you feel like you are really there, It is about a young woman who is involved with the wrong man, and is abused by him, she leaves and settles in a small seaside town and eventually falls in love with the store keeper, (who is absolutely gorgeous), Her past tracks her down, and her abusive husband catches up with her but in the end, there is a happy ending, A great chick flick, well worth seeing. Far better than the Notebook and Dear John.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 16 January 2014
I enjoy reading Nicholas Sparks, I enjoy films based on his books (I cried my eyes out watching The Notebook [DVD], I watched and re-watched Dear John [DVD] a number of times). I was looking forward to seeing "Safe Haven". Boy, what a blow. A romantic story of a young woman on the run after killing someone - that's what we are led to believe in the beginning. But as it is often the case with the Nicholas Sparks novels, not everything is as simply as it seems. The heroine, Katie, is running from an abusive relationship in New England, and finds peace and safety and her Mr Right in a small town on a South Carolina coast. All hell breaks loose on the 4 July, and as it usually happens with this kind of films, the happy ending is inevitable.

I cannot critique the acting or the settings - the film is beautifully made and the acting is good. At the beginning there's a certain suspense, and there are a couple of twists towards the end. The "spiritual" twist of the last 5 minutes of the film is what made me add additional star to my review (I did not see that coming!), otherwise, the film showed two guarded adults falling in love way too quickly, and then suddenly there was the climax. There is not much of a struggle or any emotional insights into the hearts of the leads. This is not a love story I was expecting and no tears were shed in the end.

Not the best Nicholas Sparks's adaptation.
on 25 February 2013
Katie (Julianne Hough) is on the run from a past she doesn't want to remember and can't forget, armed with a handful of belongings, a bus ticket and a new hair style she vows to try move on.

Katie finds herself in a small town called Southport, North Carolina and after securing a job at the local restaurant and settling in to a small home in the middle of nowhere. Katie is finally starting to move on but despite the intention of not forming any solid relationships, she becomes friends with her single neighbor Jo (Cobie Smulders) and the local store owners young daughter, Kristen (played by the adorable Mimi Kirkland) and his seemingly troubled son, Josh played by Noah Lomax.

Through her new found friendship with Kristen, Katie gets to know her father, Alex (Josh Duhamel). Where from the get-go you can sense that he is fascinated by her and her decision to stick around in a sleepy town. With the encouragement of Jo, Katie lets go of her fears and begins to fall for Alex, just like he has for her. They're happiness isn't long lasting as a threat from Katie's past rears it's ugly head and threatens to sabotage the new life that she's made.

Safe Haven is a great romantic movie, with hints of thriller and suspense that will have you guessing wrong and guessing again as to what's going to happen next. With twists and turns throughout this at first seemingly simple love story about a girl wanting to move on and start a new life and falling in love along becomes so much more.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon 3 March 2013
Read some reviews and was not expecting much. Thank you to all those people. Sitting down to it I thought well here goes for another by the books rom drama. How wrong was I, tension from the word go. Mystery as to what was happening, a beautiful girl in danger or is she? A great lead in Josh Duhamel. The film works on all points as you never know until the end which way the film is going and if it will be a happy ending or not. Lovely scenery to boot and a twist that verges just short of cheesy but really does its part.

Story involves a girl running away from a house where a body is laying in the lounge, she jumps on a coach and ends up in a sleepy town, meets a single dad with 2 kids who never really get obnoxious or irritating like in some films. Makes a new life with family and makes a friend who directs her in all the right directions in falling for the lead. The film never really gets too cheesy or slushy and always there is that what really happened earlier to quite late in the film which is only to the movies credit. There are some fight scenes and enough romance for everyone concerned

Being a guy it is difficult for me to say I loved this film, but thats the truth.

HANG ON maybe I should have given it 1 star and then people will really go mad for it like I did.
on 15 September 2013
This is a romantic film with a twist, and it is this that really makes it special!

The first character we are introduced to in the film is Katie (played by Julianne Hough). Running, obviously scared, she nervously gets onto a bus. The police soon arrive with a picture of her, asking people if they have seen her. Due to the girl's disguise (hoody, hair dyed) they have no luck, and Katie is on her way! Here the audience are busy asking herself what Katie could have possibly done. Even at this early part of the film, there are flashbacks which indicate what it is so the audience aren't guessing too long, although this doesn't ruin the film.

When she gets to her location she meets Alex (played by Josh Duhamel). Alex is a very likeable character, in no small part due to his excellent relationship with his on-screen daughter Lexie (who is fantastic in her own right). The couple fall in love and all is good in the world (despite Katie's constant nervousness at still being on the run), until Alex finds out what she has done.

The ending of the film is lovely, although the very final scene brings with it a twist (involving Katie's neighbour, Jo). This seems like an after-thought, like it has just been thrown in, and isn't in-keeping with the rest of the film. I really didn't care for it, but it shouldn't put a dampner on what is a very good film. 4/5 - Recommended!
on 16 November 2014
This film was ok. I haven't read the book but am a big fan of the notebook. I did feel that maybe the ending was.... Not fitting somehow to the rest of the story. For me it just didn't seem to fit in with what the film seemed to be focused on: Katie escaping Boston from a bad relationship and meeting Alex. I still enjoyed it though. A good, standard romantic film with good characters, and ok storyline. And Alex is a total babe! Ha.
on 15 February 2014
I have to say I was somewhat disappointed in this film. I was expecting a romantic thriller, but it was really far too slow for that. It started promisingly, with Katie running from her home with blood on her hands. I thought, 'great, this is going to be fantastic'. Unfortunately, it drizzled out when she hit a small town and decided to stay. I thought the romance between her and Alex moved too fast and unconvincingly. She turned from a guarded woman far too quickly and trusted him with no real reason in my estimation. I also didn't particularly like the spiritual twist in it. I thought it was weird, out of place, and slightly creepy (who wants to get a letter written by your new beau's dead wife!). For me, it spoilt the film completely. I have never read the book, so I can't comment on the adaption, however, I felt the film was slow and predictable. Not what I was expecting.
on 2 August 2013
I watched this expecting to see some run of the mill chick flick that didn't demand too much concentration in order to follow the story. The first half is a bit like this but the second half of the film is brilliant. There are so many twists and turns that I just wasn't expecting at all.
The only thing I would say is that I just didn't find Katie very likable as a character and this hindered the enjoyment some what. I would also say, and this is a bit of a SPOILER, that after the disaster that happens near the end, I expected at least one scene of her apologising for all the trouble she's brought with her and for basically destroying their livelihood just because of her mess. This didn't happen at all which made me like Katie even less.
Even so, it is a great film and I would definitely recommend!
on 13 March 2013
I saw this film yesterday in the cinema with my girlfriend .We both really enjoyed it and I just cannot understand the indifferent reviews on various websites about it............ this is one of the best films I have seen for quite a while . As someone mentions it has everything in it ,so I have ordered the DVD from Amazon (when it becomes available) and watch it on my 3D television with better picture quality than that in cinemas plus not having my eardums blasted out by loud poorly balanced volume. So many films these days one forgets about 30mins after seeing them but not `safe Haven`.I loved the scene when she wanted to buy paint to do her floor!!

I am rating this 5 / 5 for the film as I have not got the DVD yet !!