on 31 July 2013
This is a helpful, well written guide with lots of useful gems that can provide inspiration for beginners or experienced meditators alike. There is a potted history of mindfulness and a clear explanation of what 'it' is, along with several practical exercises that are well explained.
I particularly liked the honest, open approach that suggests mindfulness is very much a practice and not something that is going to happen overnight. It is a conscious choice, e.g. we can wake up mindfully and be aware of how it feels to wake, dress ourselves mindfully etc.
There are also additional sections on 'stress and mindfulness', mindfulness at work, mindfulness to help you achieve your goals and so on. I've read a few books on mindfulness and not all of them are as succinct and practical in this way, so that was appreciated!
As with learning anything new, it takes a bit of practice, but making a Kindle edition of this book means that I can read and re-read sections when I'm out and about.
Overall, this is a great little book and well worth 77p!!
on 30 August 2015
I lived my entire life putting science before spirituality. One of my favorite quotes by
Carl Sagan - I'm not sure if he originated it or simply mad it popular - is: "Extraordinary
claims requite extraordinary evidence".

So I can safely say that I disagree about the explanation of mindfulness over mindlessness
in the beginning of the book, and I simply think of it as Kahnemman's 'fast' thinking vs.
'slow' thinking, but regardless of the explanation both acknowledge the presence of either
state of mind, although mindlessness is not necessarily a bad thing in my book.

However, I could not agree more with the book about the importance of 'self awareness' or
'self mindfulness'. I've done a psychology degree and a few management ones (yes, three in
total to be precise) and all sources led to the extreme positive impact of mindfulness/self-
awareness and self-reflection. This is remarkably rare to find with the average individual,
and many who claim to be as such have no clue about how to be so.

As for meditation, I can neither confirm nor deny the positive impact it has, although I heard
many good things from both 'spiritual' and 'scientific' people - not that they're mutually exclusive
or collectively exhaustive. This book certainly made it one of my goals to mediate consistently,
at least for a bit, and attempt to use this time to increase my 'mindfulness'.

At the very least it will make you think and reflect on your own place in this world. That is why I give it a 5-star, because it delivered.
on 5 June 2013
Good little book explaining to concentrate on the present rather then looking forward and try and predict the future and helps you realize you probably have all you need now .
on 13 November 2014
I thoroughly enjoyed reading and practicing techniques in this book. It is a great introductory writing to this vast subject of Mindfulness. I found one difference between this book and others in the genre and that is author gives the suggestion to 'concentrate' on the mindful action as opposed to being 'aware'. Just a subtle difference perhaps and maybe not everyone will agree or even no-one at all but this is a good book nonetheless.
on 14 November 2013
if you have a new interest in this subject this is a great book to start simple straight forward with no jargon