Shop now Shop Now Shop now Shop Cyber Monday Deals Week in Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Amazon Fire TV Shop now DIYED Shop now Shop Fire Kids Edition Shop Kindle Voyage Listen in Prime Shop now Shop now

Format: DVDChange

I'm still trying to catch up on movies I missed in the theater in 2013. One of those was Thor: The Dark World, so when I saw a friend had bought it, I snagged it right away. (Yeah, I watched it that week and returned it.)

The story picks up after TheAvengers. Thor (Chris Hemsworth) is busy fighting across all the realms to keep any dark and powerful forces at bay. As a result, he is being treated as a hero and his father Odin (Anthony Hopkins) thinks that he might be ready to become king.

The one thing holding him back is Jane Foster (Natalie Portman). He loved this mortal woman, much to Odin's dismay. However, she has just stumbled on an anomaly in London that could kill her. Even worse, it means the Dark Elves, a race that had supposedly been defeated a millennia ago, want her to drain this anomaly from her and use it to take over the nine realms.

I have noticed some issues with superhero movies. The first one is always an origin story, and it slows the movie down while we wait for the hero to gain their powers and come to terms with it. Then, in the sequel, they have to up the stakes by giving us two villains. I actually have to respect this movie because it doesn't try to do that. Instead, it just tells us the next chapter of the story with the next villain. Okay, so you could argue there is an army, but they act as one, therefore one villain.

This allows time for some character development, which I felt was a strong point of the film. Through the action, we got to know many of these characters better, which made us care about the outcome.

However, I must admit I was disappointed with Jane in this movie. Yes, the love interest is pretty much there just to get in trouble and provide motivation for the hero. However, I felt her character was weak and worse than normal. Definitely wish she had played a bigger role before the climax.

On the other hand, there's Tom Hiddleston's Loki. The character is so rich and troubled, you can't help but sympathize with him even though he's the villain. Yes, I do love to hate him.

The acting by everyone is wonderful no matter how big or small a part they play in the overall film. As a Chuck fan, I have to give a special shout out to Zachary Levi who took over the Fandral role since Josh Dallas was tied up with Once Upon a Time. (An interesting bit of trivia, Zachary was the first choice for the character in the first movie, but he couldn't do it because of Chuck. Full circle and all that.)

Likewise, the special effects are wonderful. While I wouldn't expect anything less from a movie of this magnitude, I wasn't disappointed.

Which brings us to my other minor complaint about the film, the climax. Yes, the final battle has to be epic, but here I felt like it was a bit too frenzied with too much going on. As a result, I also felt like it went on a tad to long. I'm being nitpicky here, I realize, but that is how I felt.

Overall, Thor: The Dark World was a fun sequel that was well worth watching, and one that extends the Marvel Universe. I'm enjoying watching this universe expand with each film.
on 6 August 2014
This film arrived with a lot of expectation from me, i very much enjoyed the first film, but with a new director could this be built upon?
On the whole the answer is yes, this feels like a much more epic adventure, bolder and bigger in scale than the first film. The cast are good as a whole, and the minor charactors are still stealing every scene they are in. My problems with the film are the same as everyone elses, Malekith the dark elf is tragically underused as the main protagonist, with no motivation of depth. Relying on Loki again after the Avengers shows a lack of confidence in the world for me, it is time to rest him for awhile before he loses his impact.
The humour does at times seem misplaced, there are great one liners and sight gags at times, but at others it just seems a bit over the top and misjudged.
Overall although these affect the film i still enjoyed it immensely and will happily watch it again.
The Extras on this DVD are disappointing to say the least, but that is often the way now for DVD releases.
on 15 March 2014
As much as I love the grim and gritty world of Christopher Nolan's Batman flicks (if you haven't seen them, why not?) there's a huge amount to like about Marvels current output. The Dark World follows the themes of The Avengers and Iron Man 3 by taking seriously serious events and injecting them with a sense of humour. These films are fun and sit nicely alongside DC's more straight faced approach to the comic book conversion genre.

If you liked the first Thor film you get plenty more of what you've paid for here. Thor, Loki, Odin, Idris Elba and various other Gods all return for similar action but this time around there's more action with less exposition, the plot fairly races along. The height point of this being a Marvel team up (ahem) involving Thor and his nefarious brother. Can Loki be trusted? Who in Asgard knows? Tom Hiddlestone is clearly having awesome fun playing the character again and he's the best thing in the film.

There's plenty more wit and invention to be found as well. Highly recommended from me.
on 13 January 2014
After the life-changing The Avengers, every nerd worth their salt has been dying to know What Thor Did Next. (A reality show HAS to be in the pipeline, right? Like a Real Housewives of Asgard thing, with wonderful asides of Loki judging everybody and... okay, getting off track here.) Iron Man 3 didn't give us any clues what our favourite burly demi-god has been up to, and here we learn why: he hasn't had time to pop by Earth just yet, as he's been busy restoring peace all over the universe. Seems a good excuse to me, mate, but I'm not sure Jane will take it so well!

Befitting director Alan Taylor's Game of Thrones heritage, this time we come to a darker, grimier Asgard. Gone is the shiny, futuristic gadgetry of Branagh's Thor; instead, everything starts falling apart around out ears five minutes in. There are tears in this film, and real losses that change characters forever. The first film was a fish-out of-water tale; Thor was an arrogant boy who needed to grow up and fall in love. Here, he's been there, done that and bought the T-Shirt: this time, he means business, and he's taking everything seriously with a much more mature head on his shoulders, and to Hemsworth's credit, he delivers this as effortlessly as he did the buffoonishness of the character in the predecessor. But it's Hiddleston who's the real treat. He has been excellent in both Thor and The Avengers, but he surpasses himself here. This film really delves into Loki's powers as the god of mischief (watch out for a particularly hilarious, blink-and-you'll-miss-it scene where he transforms into somebody familiar...) and makes a real meal out of his trickiness. And oh, what a delicious meal it is! His murky past, unclear loyalties and surprise alliances are riveting to watch. This may be Thor's movie, but Loki is arguably the breakout character. In fairness, there are no weak performances here. There's a new minor character, 'my intern's intern,' as Jane puts it, who seems a bit redundant, but even he is part of one of the film's funniest scenes, so we'll let him off.

A particularly amusing part of any Marvel movie for me is watching fellow audience members when the credits begin. The committed amongst us are easily spotted; we are the ones who don't move a muscle. While casual fans reach for their coats as soon as the first name flashes up, the rest of us hang on until the bitter end to get a glimpse of what's coming. Here, we're treated to a clip from upcoming Guardians of the Galaxy; but then, we're lucky enough to have another scene, giving us a brief glimpse of Thor again.

My grievances with this film are slight, but here they are. The first was that there seemed to be some kind of aborted subplot expanding on Thor's relationship with Sif. In interviews, I read that her role was to be greatly expanded, and there was even going to be a kind of love triangle between she, Thor and Jane, but this obviously didn't get past the cutting room floor, although hints of it remain intact in places. It's a shame, as I would have happily sat still for twenty minutes extra to get a bit more character development. The second was similar in theme; I wish that antagonist Malekith's motivations had been expanded on a little more. Marvel are usually excellent at making their villains real people with motivations, even with good intentions that became warped; but here, he's a little 2D in places, despite a marvellous effort from a barely recognisable Christopher Eccleston. Still, despite these minor annoyances, the vast majority of the film kept me utterly hooked.

Overall, Thor: The Dark World is a wonderful installment in the ongoing Marvel franchise, and certainly enough to keep me going until the release of Captain America: Winter Soldier in April! And did I mention that I really love Loki? Yes? Okay then...
77 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 22 April 2015
This film is... fine. Especially any scene featuring Tom Hiddleston's Loki. Chris Hemsworth is a great Thor too but the rest is a little nonsensical.

Why are the Dark Elves so bent on dark worlding everything? Apparently Malaketh's tragic backstory was cut.

The moments of levity are good too, my personal favourite is Thor hanging his hammer on a coat rack, subject of much discussion on the internet. How does the hammer know that the coat rack is not trying to wield the power of Thor!

I've seen this three times now and I enjoyed it most on the third viewing. No idea what that means!
review image
on 5 April 2014
A brilliant continuation of the machinations of Asgard and its saviour.

Thor The Dark World does a fantastic job of bringing us up to date with Thor after his valiant efforts to aid the Avengers in saving the people of Midgard.
The banter between Thor and Loki is worth the price of the DVD/Blu Ray alone, but the great story, soundtrack (Thank You Brian Tyler) and snappy pace will keep you coming back for repeat views.

As with any Marvel film make sure you watch the mid and post credits "button" scenes for a little extra from the Studio that rewards its fans for having the patience to take 5 minutes and sit through the credits. I can't understand people who get up and leave the second a film finishes, or even worse start checking their phone and ruining the cinematic experience for everyone else.
Oops rant over.

This is a great film that should be on any self respecting Marvel or Film fan's shelf.
on 11 March 2014
As with Iron Man 3 the plot is fairly strong but fails in execution. The trailer had me slightly worried as the line about the elves being 'an evil from before time' of whatever it was came across as totally generic and naff. But it turns out they are just evil elves from a different dimension out for revenge. Pretty straightforward plot devise. Not exciting but not annoying either. Well, within the context of super hero movies.

The humour is slightly too much but it does not grate anywhere near as much as it did in Iron Man 3. Marvel has done well in terms of being faithful to the original characters and that continues here. Unfortunately it is starting to feel like they are churning out movie after movie not because they want to tell a story but because they want the franchise to continue. We shall see. Looks like the humour angle will continue in Guardians of the Galaxy, but it might be appropriate for that movie. Trailer seemed ok.
on 26 February 2015
Marvel seem to be introducing to their films and television series one of the more irritating devices common to their comics - the "crossover story". For example, in print, Thor might begin a storyline in his own comic only to have it completed in the next issue of "Avengers". The result is that those not in the know have been known to lose the plot. While story arcs are a legitimate and valuable tool in developing a character and the world in which they live, crossovers are basically a ploy to get readers to sample other characters and comics. I don't blame Marvel for doing this (it makes economic sense) but with the films in particular new audiences could start to feel shortchanged. The Dark World does not suffer from this problem like Captain America: The Winter Soldier, but it is still a story assuming maybe a little too great a knowledge of the Marvel Universe. Looking forward to the next episode, nevertheless.
on 28 April 2014
As a big Marvel fan I missed this one at the cinema, and glad I saved myself the expense. Don't get me wrong, it perfectly enjoyable nonsense with good performances from all the main leads, but slightly forgettable in terms of plot compared to the first film.
on 18 March 2014
Love this film. Although it makes more sense if you've seen the Marvel Avengers Assemble, it still stands up as a 'stand alone' film. I've loved Tom Hiddlestone's portrayal of Loki since the first Thor film but in this one you get treated to the full manic, rollercoaster ride of emotions, that is the god of mischief (even the softer side of him). Personally I see Loki as a 'naughty child', he wants to be loved and admired as much as his brother but goes completely the wrong way about it half the time causing chaos and havoc! But then what would you expect. I struggled with Chris Hemsworth as Thor this time as I'd recently watched his brilliant portrayal of James Hunt in the film Rush so every time I heard his voice I imagined JH!! SPOILER ALERT - great twist at the end.........that's all Im saying!