Shop now Shop now Shop now Up to 50% off Fashion Prime Photos Learn More Shop now Fireworks GNO Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Bundle for Kids Listen in Prime Shop Now Shop now

Format: ElectronicsChange

on 26 February 2014
Despite some of the poor publicity that TomTom have received on the new "Go" range of SatNav's, I am actually a massive fan of them.

I purchased the Go 6000 as a massive upgrade on my previous Mio Satnav. The main reasons for purchasing a TomTom was the lifetime maps and the addition of traffic updates during my journey (I looked at Garmin devices, but the Garmin traffic seemed to be beaten by TomTom traffic in most situations).

After purchasing this device (not from Amazon), I opened the box to discover the true size of the device! It is massive, especially compared to my previous device!
After switching on the Go 6000 for the first time, I was prompted to make an account for the lifetime traffic and lifetime maps (due to the Go 6000 having an inbuilt sim-card for data, the account was ready for use when I logged on to my pc).

I find using the device to be a quick and easy experience, searching for addresses is fast, and since the 13.040 update, searching for post codes is now a speedy task.
One possible downside is the size of the map update downloads. The V925 map update just released came in at just under 5.5GB's. Fortunately, these are only released once a quarter, so again, it isn't the biggest problem.

Generally, every day there are smaller map updates (from the Map Share Reporter), which gives every day users the chance to change any mistakes or update new roads and inform TomTom of the changes.

I paid for the speed camera subscription after the first 3 months, due to finding them useful over the first 3 months of the device. Updates for this are usually every week and come in at around 2.6MB and take seconds to install. Impressive work when the Speed Cameras include usual speed cameras, red light cameras, average speed cameras, the ability to report police camera vans at the side of roads and also download this information when others have reported it!

The Lifetime Traffic always connected, does not require a phone data connection, and is beneficial for those using the device abroad as there are no additional charges for connecting abroad. The traffic updates every 2 minutes, and if the connection is lost (driving through an area of little signal), the device will reconnect once signal returns.
Having used the Go 6000 in London, I was very pleased with the results, the precision of where queues start/end, the delays encountered and the way that the Go 6000 would route me around certain traffic jams.

The look & feel of the maps are very nice, especially with 3D buildings in certain areas. The lane view assist at larger junctions is useful, as is the route bar on the right hand side, showing the next 30-40 miles worth of your journey (queues, petrol stations, stops, road works, speed cameras, etc). If in average speed road works, the device will calculate your average speed, and when in queues, it will give you an indication as to when the queue will end and the traffic will begin to speed up again.

My final point in this review is the excellent ability to search for restaurants nearby, and other attractions - useful if you're visiting an area and are not sure what restaurants are around, or if you want to break up a journey with a stop somewhere (tourist spots!).

I also purchased the Tom Tom dashboard mount discs, so not to mark the windscreen with the "sucker" pad, and am very pleased with the strength of the pads.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 25 August 2014

Having lived with the device for a year now and experienced the support from TomTom and various software upgrades, I've updated my review from 2 star to 4 star.

I'll start by agreeing with the comments below stating that TomTom can appear to be rather arrogant. The same few features are requested over and over again in the support forums but TomTom rarely acknowledge whether they have taken a particular suggestion on board. Instead, they suggest clunky workarounds and give very little information about whether the situation is likely to improve or not. Please let us know whether you are working on something, or admit that you have given up on developing a feature!

Nevertheless, system upgrades over the past year have improved the device significantly. One update earlier this year completely resolved the problem of the connection dropping constantly. For months, I enjoyed a robust, unbreakable connection and the system really came into its own. I had previously assumed that this was a server / GPRS problem but the fact that an update solved this shows that it must have been a software problem. It's a shame that TomTom didn't identify this problem sooner, as the manufacturer comment below also suggests that this was a network problem. Again, a failure by TomTom to admit that there is a problem that needs solving.

Sadly, a more recent system update brought back the disconnection issue but I understand that a further update has fixed this again. I haven't been on a long enough journey to comment on this yet.

The roadblock issue has been fixed to a certain extent. Unfortunately, this only guides you around a roadblock that is right in front of you. So if you pass a "road closed ahead" sign and ask for a route around the TomTom, the alternative route may still come out the wrong side of the closure. It would be better to be able to state "road closed in 1 mile" or similar (like the old TomTom ONE), or for the system to assume that the route is blocked for, say, the next 5 miles.

A recent update also added "navigate to home" and "recent destinations" to the main menu. I hadn't realised how useful it would be to use these features with one touch.

Overall, it's still not perfect. The avoid roadblock and alternative route features will probably get you out of a sticky situation if you are really stuck, but they feel bolted on and do very little to improve route planning or on-the-fly detours.

However, when it's working properly, the device feels slicker and is a much better experience than it was a year ago. The improved connectivity has been a lifesaver and has improved the user experience dramatically. Let's hope that the latest software update has resolved the recent blip in service, or else I'll be deleting this update and reverting to the old rating.

I have been avoiding writing this review as I didn't want to leave negative comments about niggles that I was aware of before I purchased the item (GO 5000). However, I bought the item in good faith expecting TomTom to update the firmware and I had no idea that the niggles would have such an effect on the overall usability of the system. I've just had another email from TomTom asking me to leave a review, so here it is.

Let's start with the good stuff. Ignoring the niggles, this is a five-star bit of kit. Almost everything about it has been wonderful. The screen is the perfect size; incredibly sharp with vivid colours. The audio quality is superb. The way the device just snaps in and out of the holder is brilliant. The European maps were incredibly detailed and absolutely flawless on a month-long road trip around Germany, France, Switzerland and Italy.

The TomTom Traffic service is excellent too. Living in Central London, it is often impossible to know whether to cut through London, head out to the M25 or take the back streets. So far, TomTom has not let me down and has taken me on some weird and wonderful routes avoiding accidents that I've only heard about later on the radio. You do have to put ultimate faith in the directions though. I often wonder why TomTom is suddenly taking me off a route that I am very familiar with. It would be nice to be able to scroll through the proposed route to see where/why the diversion is being recommended, but I appreciate that it would be very hard to implement in practice.

The POI search is very good. I love the ability to search the POIs by shop name, etc. - very useful when searching for petrol or a supermarket. Some obvious POIs can be hard to find, but this is often to do with the way the POI has been described rather than the capabilities of the device.

The TomTom software is a bit rubbish. I would prefer to have more control to download the updates manually and install them when I am ready. The software makes it hard to see what is going on and I had problems with some of the earlier updates, so it would have been good to be able to see whether they had actually installed or not.

None of the above is sufficient to reduce my opinion of what would otherwise be a five star product. But....

The mobile connectivity in the UK has been very disappointing. During a month in the Black Forest and on tiny Swiss mountain roads, the service never let me down once. As soon as I got back to the UK, I started to experience problems connecting to the servers. This has happened in Central London and out in far less congested areas, so I can't be sure whether it is the mobile network that is congested or the TomTom servers. I guess we can't do much about mobile networks but, if it is the TomTom server, it just isn't good enough. The failure to connect seems to often happen on a Sunday afternoon, so I assume that this is to do with peak hours demand - but that is when you need the traffic service most. Down to four stars for this.

The big one is the old chestnut of "avoid roadblock." Having just upgraded from a TomTom ONE, this is a feature that had only used occasionally but been an absolute lifesaver when I used it. I had read the comments on this and other forums about the lack of feature. I had also read about how TomTom has been very good in listening to customer feedback and provided a good amount of new features since the 5000 was originally launched, so I was optimistic that this feature would be implemented soon. Even with the last update (choice of alternative routes), this feature has not been reintroduced. You only have to look through a few reviews here or on the TomTom forum to see how many users want this feature. I cannot understand why this feature is still missing.

My first experience of this was late at night in the Swiss Alps, having been out for dinner. The main road out of the valley was closed for resurfacing. TomTom was showing the road as "stationary traffic" but did not register that it was closed. I followed the diversion out of town and, when I was back on the main road, I recalculated my route. TomTom took me straight back into the valley and back to the same set of roadworks. Another attempt using the "workaround" brought me back to the roadworks, but at the other end. As I could not add a roadblock, TomTom was unable to find me a way out of the valley. In the end, I just had to continue in the general direction that I wanted to head, hoping that I would not come to a dead end or on a loop that would take me back where I started. After some very precarious narrow, pitch black roads, I finally hit another road and was able to continue my journey.

I've read all of the comments about the workaround and why this is a minor issue, but one of the main features of a sat nav device should be to get you around obstacles and road closures, whether you are familiar with the area or not. As it worked so well on TomTom ONE I am at a loss to understand why it is still missing from GO5000. So TomTom loses two stars for this - one for the missing feature and one for not listening to customer feedback.

As a final point, I have experimented with the new 'alternative route' feature and find it pretty pointless. TomTom doesn't seem to provide any explanation for why it has calculated the alternative routes, nor does it allow you to influence one of these routes (e.g. via a particular POI, or favouring Motorways over A-Roads or vice versa). Without the feature to browse the routes quickly, it seems that the energy put into implementing this feature should have been spent elsewhere (avoid roadblock, for example?).

All in all, a superb device that is severely compromised by the lack of some essential (and frequently demanded) features.
1111 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
TOP 50 REVIEWERon 9 August 2013
---- UPDATED (16/06/15) REVIEW BEGINS ----

*** I try to update this review regularly, but to see the full (and current) list of software updates, visit the TomTom website here This review relates to software version 15.202 and all previous ***

This is an in depth product review (updated after around 24 months use) for TomTom's premium navigation device, the GO 6000 (but will also largely apply to any of the GO X0, GO X00/X10 and GO X000/X100 devices - for this reason, I have also placed this review within their respective pages). My aim is to provide an honest viewpoint that will help you make a decision about purchasing, whether you're a complete newcomer to sat-navs, or use them on a daily basis. In certain aspects, I will compare this device to my previous sat-nav, a TomTom GO LIVE 1005 World. In recent reviews of TomTom's latest sat-navs I have seen a worrying trend of consumers buying a product without really realising what that specific model can, and more importantly can't do. I will attempt to enlighten you all.

Let's get this out the way.
Around May/June 2015, TomTom updated most of their lines of sat-navs, which makes updating this review more than a little complicated. The reason being, just because TomTom no longer sell certain models on their website, doesn't mean that you can't still buy them, so I will try and encompass every model of the GO that you can currently purchase - here goes...

There are essentially three ranges of sat-navs within the GO series. Each starts with a number. This number designates the screen size in inches (e.g. GO 50 and GO 5000 have a 5" screen, GO 600 and GO 6100 have a 6" screen). When I talk about the X0 series, I'm simply referring to either the GO 40, 50 or 60.
If you're comparing sat-navs within the same range, then as far as I'm aware, the only differences are going to be screen size and screen resolution (resolution improving as you go up screen sizes). All of the GO sat-navs have the same software within them.
I will attempt to outline the range differences below, here goes...

GO 40 - GO 50 - GO 60
This is the cheapest range of the series. They are entry level sat-navs. The major (with a capital 'M') feature that differentiates these devices from the other GO sat-navs, is that they have a resistive screen. The mid-range and premium range sat-navs all have capacitive screens. A resistive screen registers pressure on the screen, so it's older technology, therefore costing less. Capacitive screens are what you'll find on all modern smartphones; smooth glass that require no actual pressure on the screen to register input. Capacitive is more modern, and better in my opinion, therefore costing more. If you'll be wearing big heavy gloves when using your sat-nav, then a resistive screen will be better (unless of course the gloves are designed to work with touch screens!).
Connection to Live services (i.e. traffic) is done via a smartphone (explained further just below).

GO 500 - GO 600 (both discontinued by TomTom)
GO 510 - GO 610
This is where it gets a little complicated. Until very recently, you used to be able to buy the GO 500/600 from the TomTom website; you no longer can. I realise that when they say a product has `lifetime' something (for example maps), that is for the lifetime of the product, not you! I believe if you were to buy a GO 500/600 now, they would still be supported in terms of updates, but that's something I'd recommend you confirm with TomTom prior to purchase.
These mid-range sat-navs use capacitive screens, so in my opinion are better than the entry-level range. This range compares directly to the premium range, but differs in one major way - connectivity. This mid-range (just like the entry-level range) offering connects to TomTom Live services (i.e. traffic) via a smartphone. This simply means that you need a smartphone (I believe only iPhone or Android) with you at all times if you want to get traffic updates, which you do. To find out if your phone is compatible: Keep in mind you will be using up data on your phone, so review your contract etc before purchase.
The updated GO 510/610 models add lifetime world maps and lifetime speed cameras to the mix.

GO 5000 - GO 6000 (both discontinued by TomTom)
GO 5100 - GO 6100
These are the premium sat-navs from TomTom. They have a capacitive screen, and are 'always connected'. Simply put, they get traffic updates automatically, as they have a sim-card inside. There is no need to connect your phone to it ever, or even have your phone with you.
As with the mid-range, the new GO 5100/6100 models, now include lifetime world maps and lifetime speed cameras.

It's beautiful. Simple.
I liked the look of my previous sat-nav, but in my opinion this is even more attractive. The corners are more rounded and I prefer the grey plastic on the front as opposed to the black. The 6 inch model is massive, but then it was always going to be. With a recent software update, you can now change the size of text and buttons; small, medium or large. I prefer the small, but I imagine people with eyesight issues will be glad of this enlarging ability.
Bottom line, I love the size of the 6" sat-nav and don't regret it. If justification to the wife for forking out extra for a bigger screen is needed, then you can always claim it's safer!

The supplied window mount is just like the one provided with my old GO LIVE 1005, only better. I had a few issues with the old one where I'd slot the device into the mount, and just presume it was charging, only for it to die at the most inopportune moment. This time, the charging cable (micro-USB & same length as previous) plugs directly into the back of the mount, never touching the actual sat-nav. The magnet holding the device in place is also stronger than previously, as anything less than a firm pull will simply tilt the mount. To date, this is the best window mount for any sat-nav I have owned/used, it just works.

Two years ago, none of the GO series came with a case. I purchased TomTom's own universal case for 6 inch sat-navs for £20 from Amazon. I wasn't massively impressed. In the first six months, it was a tight fit; I mean very tight. Once opened you could hold it upside down and the sat-nav wouldn't budge. This might be a plus for some, but for me it became a pain to put in and out, something that would surely push the security-stupid to leave it on show. The case provides protection from scratches, very minor spills and being bumped around in the glove box. I would NOT want to drop it from normal holding height, even onto carpet. The interior of the case is designed in such a way that forces me to put the sat-nav in backwards, avoiding the risk of the ridiculously placed positioning material scratching the screen (not the touch screen part, but still the glass surrounding it). Clearly designed late on a Friday afternoon! My leather case for my old 5 inch sat-nav was a lot better in my opinion, if they ever sell one for my GO 6000, I'll definitely get one. TomTom also do a huge case that I've never used/seen that can hold accessories, as well as varying cases for smaller devices.
All of this said, after around six months of use, the case loosened somewhat, and became slightly easier to live with. I'd still prefer my old case back however!

After around 24 months of use, I can confidently say this sat-nav is accurate in terms of arrival times and distances. On a recent 175 mile trip to Wales, my GO 6000 was spot on with arrival times and traffic - no issues.

The speed at which it finds your route is better than any sat-nav I have used before. I just performed a speed test. From the main map screen through to it having properly started navigating me for a 100 mile journey, took exactly 20 seconds. That included me typing in the address. The destination was new to the sat-nav, and was not stored in my favourites, or as they are now called 'Places'. Re-routing is fast. Not instant, but an average of 2-5 seconds and it realises what's going on. On previous models I have experienced lag round corners and roundabouts where it thinks I'm still an exit behind. Even while driving at speed, the GO series of sat-navs keeps up on the majority of occasions.

- Clear route
- Find alternative
- Avoid blocked road (yes sports fans, it's finally here - not that I've ever needed it!)
- Avoid toll roads and more
- Add stop to route
- Add to my routes (save the route to your favourites effectively)
- Change route type (fastest, shortest, eco, avoid motorways, walking, cycling)
- Reorder stops
- Drive to route
- Play route preview (watch a sped-up version of your upcoming route)
- Show instructions

When arriving at a destination, it informs you of which side of the road the address is on and where the house number is. It is either exact, very close, or wildly off. When tested against Google Maps on my phone however, I get very similar results, with certain house number/road name combinations confusing it massively. On the whole, it is generally rather close to the house number you have entered.

TomTom in my opinion and experience provide better traffic updates than any other manufacturer. As mentioned previously, with all of the GO sat-navs, you get lifetime (the lifetime of the product) traffic for free. Can't complain. You again have the option of it automatically re-routing you, asking you what to do, or just ploughing on into known traffic.

- MAPS -
You now get lifetime (of the product) free map updates which results in at least four downloads a year.
As mentioned above, with the new X10/X100 models, you get lifetime world maps.

On the entry-level range, as well as the older X00/X000 models, you get three months free speed cameras, at which point you can either try and spot those yellow ******** built deliberately behind trees with your own eyes, or pony up £20/year. Logically, £20 is a lot less than what you would pay having got caught. Fine, points, insurance boost etc. But that's how they get you; there are other options. I use a combination of TomTom speed cameras in my GO sat-nav, alongside my phone running the app 'CamerAlert', with the database from the guys at PGPSW; which from memory is a similar price.
With the new X10/X100 models, you now get lifetime speed cameras - a very handy addition, and something which I think it only fair when you're spending so much on a stand alone device.

At launch, the GO series was lacking a huge amount of features compared to its rivals; it was the very large, very pink, elephant in the room. I never really cared though, as they were features I never used. I fully realise that many, many people will have strong opinions about certain missing features, but at the end of the day, that's why there's more than one company that makes sat-navs. TomTom has decided that this is the direction they wish to take their company, so either hop-on-board, or jump-ship.

Below is a non-exhaustive list in no particular order (broken into twos for ease of reading), of things I like, things I don't like, and things I think you may find helpful, regarding the layout and features:

-- The navigation screen is super clean. No clutter. That's good. To the point where you find yourself looking for things. That's not so good. Only recently has the clock found its way to the navigation screen, and this is ONLY when you actually have a route input. If you're just driving around without a route, then no time is visible. This probably isn't a huge issue for most, but I regularly use this device in a vehicle where the clock has been removed, so the option of having a clock on at all times would be nice.
-- There is also no battery meter on the main screen, irrelevant of whether or not a route has been plotted or if the device is charging. It's simply not there. You must press the four little dots at the bottom left to go to the main menu to see your battery. If you are charging the device, then you can't actually see how much of a charge is remaining, without unplugging the sat-nav. Over a year ago I suggested that the vertical cylindrical shaped icon on the navigation screen for the + and - zoom buttons could simply be filled (transparently) up with colour when the battery is full, and have the colour slowly drain down when the battery does. Simple, effective, no extra clutter, and it would look great. A while ago a TomTom employee commented and said it was a good idea, but it obviously gained no traction, so don't hold your breath.

-- Another battery related issue is that no matter how good the wired connection is, at times (through either a slightly faulty wire or a nudge with my knee), the device stops charging. If you're staring intently at the screen, then this is shown with the screen getting slightly darker. If you're not looking at the screen (which chances are, you won't be!), then it's basically impossible to tell. Meaning the sat-nav can die part way through a long journey as it hasn't been charging for hours. I'd like a visual and/or auditory (user selected) warning, letting me know that the device has been unplugged. Something that means that either immediately as it's unplugged, or when I glance at it 5 mins later, it's clear that it's not charging!
-- With the new (as of 27/06/14) 'dynamic route bar', you can now have both the remaining time and distance, showed at the same time. Finally! This is only available if you actually activate the dynamic route bar from within the settings, which simply put, makes it wider. It's still transparent, so you're not really losing any of your screen real estate. If you choose to have the thinner route bar, then you can't view the remaining time/distance at the same time. You are instead forced to choose between one, or have them change every three seconds. Which is not only a personal hate of mine, but also difficult to understand at a glance. They have improved it by having 'mi' or 'min' now displayed in a contrasting white colour, which makes it easier to read, but still. At a glance it's easy to confuse them, which makes you stare at it for three straight seconds, which could create some issues! My advice (if you're just using the thinner, non-dynamic route bar) is to have it on time remaining only. The distance until the next hazard/traffic/roadworks etc is already on the screen inside the route bar. If you're lucky enough to have a clear run, this will be your total remaining mileage.

-- Typing in addresses is finally enjoyable. The speed at which the letters respond to your touch is just (fractionally) shy of the iPhone 6 Plus (my only real benchmark), which is far better than any sat-nav I've owned in the past. Gone are the days when you had to enter the city first. Just type in the road name, and boom, it sorts it out.
-- As far as I can tell you still can't change the actual map colours. However, with the new (as of 27/06/14) 'Accent Colours' setting, you can change the colour of your route, your current position arrow, and a few highlights dotted around all the menus. I like the way the maps look, especially now I can have a bright green line showing my route, it stands out and looks good. Simple.

-- Pinch to zoom is good. Not on the same level as the iPhone 6 Plus, but it's getting there; slowly.
-- Your current speed goes orange if slightly over the speed limit, and red if 5mph or more over. You can also decide if you want the sat-nav start making aggressive noises if you're driving too fast!

-- You can now reorder the items on the main menus. A handy addition, as some items on page one I was never going to use, so they very quickly got relegated.
-- The navigation screen goes from day to night mode automatically at a certain time of day (I think relating to the sunset time, but I could be mistaken). This is a feature I really enjoy.

-- There is only one voice that comes standard that is capable of reading aloud street names. There are many other voices however.
-- A fairly recent addition is the voice control. There are two ways of getting the TomTom to start listening to you; 1) Go the main menu and press 'Voice Control'; 2) Say, "Hey, TomTom". Once the sat-nav is listening to you, you can tell it to do practically anything. My issue is with the "Hey, TomTom" feature. With this feature turned on, the sat-nav is constantly listening, waiting for you to say the magic words. Saying "Hey, TomTom", is all well and good, but on a recent 2hr journey, it kept thinking I was saying it, when I was actually just listening to the radio. After half a dozen wrongful activations, I got fed up and switched it off. Not a massive issue for me, as I've never got on with voice control on any device; so it's an added feature that I'm sure many will love, but I'll happily keep off.
* As of software version 15.202, you can now choose your own wake-up phrase to activate the voice control. I don't like voice control, so haven't even tried this!

-- Another fairly recent addition is the sat-nav can read aloud warnings. So instead of just beeping, it will beep and shout at you to warn you of an approaching speed camera for example.
-- You can turn screen touch sounds on or off - I actually rather like them on.

-- From the main navigation screen, you can FINALLY, at-a-glance see if Live services have dropped out. A much needed feature, as annoyingly, it drops out more than I'd like - resetting the sat-nav quite often solves this, but again annoyingly, not always.
-- Tapping on your current-location arrow, brings up a quick menu allowing you to; report speed camera, mark location, change speed limit or avoid blocked road.

-- In 2D mode, tapping the highlighted route brings up another route-specific quick menu, allowing you to; clear route, find alternative route, change route type, add stop to route, manage route. Recently I had around a dozen different addresses to attend all within the same medium-sized city. I plugged them all in, by tapping on the current highlighted route, and clicking 'add stop to route'. These were in the wrong order, so after inputting them all, I selected 'reorder stops'. This brings up a very clear 2D map showing where you are, and every stop that you have inputted. You simply tap them in the order you wish to visit, ending up with your finish location. It's super quick, and super easy. I was seriously impressed.
-- Alternative routes. I like this a lot. You get to see the good old fashioned three route option, showing you how much longer the extra two routes will take.

-- As of software version 15.202, you can now import your own POI files into your sat-nav. These have to be .ov2 format. This is accomplished through the MyDrive software on your computer.

The main issue I had was to discover the computer didn't recognise the sat-nav when it was sat in the window-mount, even though it registered as charging. Plug the micro-USB directly into the sat-nav and it connects to the computer straight away. I added my new device into my old TomTom account with very little trouble at all.

When I first bought this sat-nav, you synced/updated it via the MyDrive website. Now you have MyDrive software that you download onto your PC/Mac. I've been using it for quite a few months, and it's been fine - no issues.

The biggest change for me, and only just (May/June 2015) introduced, is a cloud connection to MyDrive. What this means that I can go onto my Mac, go to the MyDrive website, and after logging in, see everything as if it was my sat-nav. I can see the map, I can see live traffic info, I can plan routes, I can save routes, I can add to and edit `My Places' (my favourites list on the sat-nav) - I can do pretty much anything. Once I've planned a route, I can click `send to my device', and within 10 seconds (if my sat-nav is on; or within a minute or two of switching it on at a later date) the route appears on the device. Simple, effective, and it actually works! Already available in the US, and soon to be available here in the UK, a MyDrive app will enable you to do all of these things, but from my smartphone, on the go. This means that instead of having to get the sat-nav off the window mount to enter an address, you can just type it into your phone, and send it to your device - very cool!

---- CONCLUSION ----

This has been a ridiculously long review, and if you've made it this far I applaud you, as well as apologise. I do hope you've found it helpful!

The TomTom GO series of sat-navs is definitely an acquired taste. In my opinion this is what the first dedicated Apple sat-nav would be like. Attractive, minimalistic, speedy, with very few options for customisation. For what I require it to do, it does it, practically flawlessly. I can't remove stars for features that I wouldn't use, and for that reason, I initially gave it 4 stars, (now upgraded to 5 stars as explained below).

In the two years I've used this device, the impressively regular software updates has meant that I'm raising this review to 5 stars. They have listened to the community as a whole, and provided updates that we've asked for. Yes, there are still little niggles that I'd like them to sort out (for example the option of having a clock and battery bar permanently on the main map screen), but on the whole, it's the best sat-nav I've ever used.

Parts of this review may come across as a little negative, so let me say this - I love my TomTom GO. It's an intuitive, helpful, speedy, intelligent, impressive and downright beautiful navigation device that would look at home on any windscreen. The decision to purchase, as with most things, but even more so with these devices, is a very personal one. Simply put, it will either suit your needs or it won't. In which case I'd suggest you look at older TomToms or even show your distaste by giving a Garmin a go. Say that quickly over and over again. I dare you.

Would I recommend this product to a friend? Yes, needs dependent
If lost/damaged would I repurchase product? Yes

✓ Beautiful screen
✓ Premium look and feel
✓ Window mount
✓ Traffic is best around
✓ Route planning accuracy and speed
✓ Ease of use
✓ Typing speed
✓ Handy features that are easy to use
✓ Regular software updates

CONS (not necessarily for me):
✗ Lack of features compared to previous devices
✗ Placement of time and battery indicator and other fairly basic stuff

- Check to see if you can live without the missing features

I hope you found this review helpful. If you have any questions regarding this product, feel free to leave comments down below - I'm happy to help...
120120 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 9 August 2014
I have used many other navigation systems including the older devices from TomTom, but a few months ago I got this new TomTom Go 5000 device, and I must say that it's the best one I ever had.
1) First of all the all new design and the ducking system is very easily to use you can take off the device in a split second, very good touch screen also the microphone of the device is very clear you can easily hear the voice in the whole car so the people in the back can enjoy with you, it will also help you to keep awake while driving at night.
2) And also the whole operating system has been upgraded to a absolute high standard, nice colours and voices and many furthers.
3) I would also say that the map design is much better than all other devices I ever had.
4) And I must say that the traffic updates I got on this device is very accurate it will take you the fastest way to your destination, it will show you how long every traffic queue is, and even if you decide not to take the fastest way you will not get nervous because you will know how long the queue is. and all this without any extra charge, LIFETIME....
5) The POI search works with the web, so you can easily find POI near you even if it is not saved in the device it-self.
6) Life-time upgrades to the maps for no extra charge.
7) The only thing they will charge is for Speed Cameras, and that also for a very suitable price £20 per year.
So from my view - after using it for about 9 Months - if you thing to buy any Navigation System you should buy this one, the price they asking is worth because all I have explained above.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 27 June 2015
I use my TomTom daily for work and for leisure at the weekend. Sometimes it finds me the way to somewhere I don't know a route for but mostly I use it to keep me out of the worst of the traffic travelling into, out of and around London. There are a lot of reviews for the Go 5/6000, some of them quite old and out of date as they negatively report issues that have subsequently been corrected with software updates. I have been a TomTom user for seven of eight years now and am happy overall with this model. Let's bust some myths in other reviews:
1) "[update system] keeps prompting for updates of no importance, but you can't tell if they are important" - you can now view updates prior to installation and choose what to update.
2) "The inability to load your own POIs is also a major annoyance," - not any more. POIs can now be updated using the web interface
3) "[It lacks] A 'go home' facility, ideally one click." - now added
4) "The traffic info is not always accurate. I have occasionally found myself in a huge traffic jam" - 'twas ever thus with TomTom and I have had to wait for 25 minutes on one occasion for a connection to the traffic servers BUT that was very much a one-off and connection is more reliable generally than my old XL Live and re-routing quick and effective
5) "There is no way to backup your 'My Places'" - there is now.
6) "there is no user manual readily available" - I haven't bought any consumer electronics in the last 5 years that had a user manual anywhere other than online. TomTom is no different in this respect.
7) "You cannot avoid closed or blocked roads as in previous models" - agreed, a serious omission - or at least it was until it was added back in. Now available.

There are some genuine and reasonable gripes, however:
1) "For every TomTom satnav you own you have to register with a different email address" - True and daft. There must be a better way to manage product registration than this. Seemingly, though, it eludes the great developer minds at TomTom. It's not that setting up a new e-mail address is difficult, it's just that it shouldn't be necessary.
2) "the web-based system for [updating] it isn't remotely up to the standard of the device itself." - Whilst it has been improved since this review was written, device upgrades are definitely the weakest link in this model's performance.
3) "Also missing is the ability to change the colour scheme to any but the few built in schemes and the ability to change the location indicator from the standard arrowhead" - It's not that there's anything wrong with the colour schemes that the device comes with it's just that I had customised them on my old TomTom and I'm not allowed to any more. No fair!
4) The device doesn't receive traffic info whilst plugged into a computer so if you're used to having it on your desk and keeping an eye on the screen so you know when to leave for an appointment, you'll have to get used to planning your route on the TomTom MyDrive website and keeping an eye on that instead.

That third gripe is the tip of the iceberg of the biggest issue with this model (these models, I think as this probably applies to most of the X00, X10, X000 and X100 models). That is that whereas older, discontinued, TomTom models used to interact with your computer as a media or storage device, which made customising and updating quick and relatively simple, this model represents itself to your computer as a network device - an additional 'router', if you will. "So what", you may ask, "what do I care if it gets the job done." and that would be fair if it did but this change, a product, I suspect, of TomTom trying to keep their proprietorial maps and software away from the tinkering fingers of legitimate, paying users, causes no end of issues. The TomTom forums are awash with problems with connection and updates and the c|net website legitimately asks, "what's the point of lifetime updates if each update takes a lifetime?" For me (but not necessarily for you) the repeated failed update problems were cause because the TomTom device represented itself to my Windows 7 computer as a 'Public Network' and as a result was the subject of fierce Windows Firewall restrictions. Once I had worked this out, delved into advanced settings that I didn't previously know my computer had and told it to loosen-up a bit, the update worked.

There's much to like about this TomTom - the screen is large and clear, the routing is really good, the traffic system is accurate and only very rarely unavailable, the windscreen mount is much improved and I could go on. All the essentials are here and work well. There are a couple of absent nice-to-haves but don't let them put you off. The addition of lifetime maps and traffic more than justify the higher price. The only real let-down is the poor computer interface and update process and lack of useful support for this. Thankfully, a vocal and active forum community mean that TomTom's own paper-thin support is rarely a problem.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 19 August 2013
When I received my Go 6000 Europe I felt really disappointed. I was driving from London to the wilds of the Highlands and I wanted to enter my destination location using Longitude and Latitude coordinates which I could do on my Go 950 Live. But the 6000 has no Long/Lat capability (how is this even possible, really?). I spent a fair bit of time locating my destination on google maps using my hosts' directions and then on the Go 6000 map. I saved that location to "My Places" (favourites). Another annoyance/disappointment is that my 950's extra memory card map of North America won't work in the 6K as the maps/cards are device specific. I was ready to return the 6000 for a refund.

Then I drove to Scotland with it. Nine hours. The device was actually wonderful - and I really took some convincing. The route finding was fast; the timing punctual to the minute (mine seems to show both arrival time and miles concurrently - current time would be nice). It even found a last minute B-road re-routing through Glasgow suburbs to avoid traffic on the motorway. I am not sure it saved a great deal of time, but I know I was happier than chugging along in the traffic. The display is clear. The traffic incident reporting is very good. When reporting traffic incidents the display shows some information in a tiny red typeface that neither I, as the driver, nor my wife could read. I wonder what it said?

Even without the Long/Lat and the No. Am. map (not available yet, evidently), I am keeping the device. And the support via email and phone is excellent. I have almost always found this to be the case with TomTom. With the Go 6k, the woman with whom I corresponded kept responding to my mails about missing features and my disappointments and said that she had passed my comments to the appropriate TT team. She did mention though that if Long/Lat was introduced, it would not be available by software update which I guess means that early adopters are out of luck - unless it is a firmware update which we can get via MyTomTom. If not that would be a real shame.
55 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 15 August 2013
As a TomTom user for some 10 years I decided to update my ageing TomTom 950. Which was getting slower and slower with each update and I thought I would wait an extra couple of weeks for the all new TomTom 6000.
Wow what a disappointment.
Firstly all that you have learned about previous TomToms forget, this is worse than the transition from windows 7 to windows 8, absolutely nothing is the same.
You do not get
POI so all those nice little updates that enabled you to add a vast range of locations of specific interest is gone, Hotels, Historic Sites etc.
No itinerary, so if you’re like me and plan tours in advance forget it you cannot.
No Bluetooth so you now have to buy yourself a Bluetooth adapter for your car as well.
No input in longitude and latitude coordinates or I I cannot find any way of doing this.
I cannot find anyway of tagging map errors, the new map has an error (previous maps did not) in my road which was completed 22 years ago!
I feel TomTom have launched a half finished product and at half the price this might just be acceptable. Unless I get some quick answers from TomTom this is going back
1919 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 1 September 2014
I bought this to tell me specifically about traffic issues to and from my clients around the UK, with the bonus of it working in Spain for a 4 week summer holiday.
The data connection is flakey at best and non existent outside the UK. On many occasions the road I was on was closed due to accidents and had been for over 6 hours but never alerted me when it was connected and it never even connected in Spain resulting in a delay which I could have avoided.
The device is slow to respond to finger inputs and frequently processes repeated touches forcing you to back out and start again. Frustraining when you are supposed to be concentrating on driving. The unit also only stays charged for 2 or 3 days forcing you to always have it taking a socket up in the car. I bought the additional TomTom cig lighter charger which is actually the best bit.
The unit was also my second with the first being replaced by Amazon because the unit would not save places or contacts (WTF).
Terrible piece of technology, doesn't do the things it says and isn't up to the job, blooming awful.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 3 September 2013
Ive had the 6000 for a few weeks now and felt the time was right to put in my review and recommendation. Basically, STAY AWAY from it until they update it as I honestly feel TomTom have released a half finished product that almost had me throwing it out of the car window 2 days ago.

it was almost midnight and i had just driven 6 hours and came up to the M5 junction on the M4 with the intention of going to the South West. The satnav kept telling me to go left and join the M5 but I couldn't as it was shut. I had to go towards the Bristol exit instead and drive 15 miles round trip to get back to where I wanted. Lo and behold, my satnav kept telling me there was a lane closure on the M5 and to join it. ERRR.....HELLOOOOOOOO......the M5 was shut!!! in the end had to drive to Avonmouth and come back into England using the diversion signs and not the TomTom as it wouldnt register the M5 was shut. In a nutshell, I had to do an extra 40 miles driving to get where I wanted with no help from the gadget so this is where I came to the conclusion that TomTom Traffic is crap. I had a paid subscription on the 750 go ( which i still have 7 months running but they wont let me transfer it to my new satnav...another story...don't ask) and it was much better than this pile of tosh.

Anyway, that's my whinge done, here are the honest faults that i feel stop me from recommending buying this gadget.

1/ The writing on the screen is too small...i can hardly read what it is telling me...such as miles left and traffic incidents. I much preferred my 750 where the arrival, destination and time remaining was very clearly shown. I have good eyesight but even i have to strain to read some of the writing.

2/ No Help features such as nearest Police, Hospital, GPS reading in case of breakdown. They were nice to have in case of an emergency. I know you can type it in but its was just handy having everything all in one place...why remove something if its valuable to a driver?

3/ Cannot see a detailed breakdown of the route planned when setting off (or during)....all you can do is watch a preview which takes forever and is absolutely useless.

4/ Voice volume is a lot quieter than the 750..and im not going deaf either

5/ alternative route recommendation is too small, i kept missing it...on the 750, it came up in a big bold square with no chance of missing it

6/ The Traffic option appears to be behind real life in the case of the M5 closure

Don't get me wrong, the gadget looks very good and is very fluid but for £300 i honestly feel that my 750 was a much better many more functions to help the driver. Maybe TomTom will release updates to fix some of these issues but personally from my experience, i would save your cash and buy something better instead
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
VINE VOICEon 2 October 2015
I previously used a Garmin nuvi Sat Nav but was tempted to upgrade by the excellent reviews for the new TomTom GO models with real-time traffic information. Not having the right smartphone, my previous Garmin model was reliant on limited traffic information through radio signal. Having an acute dislike for being stuck in traffic (especially with small children in the back) I wanted something better capable of giving me up to the minute traffic info and diverting me when necessary.

The great thing about the 6000 is that it includes a built in SIM card meaning it can receive traffic data directly, rather than having to link with a smartphone. The traffic information is simply brilliant, streets ahead of the radio signal alone. You can see areas of traffic clearly marked on the affected roads, and it has diverted a number of times to avoid considerable delays (I know because a family member took the route we had planned to take and had over 1 hour delay). Really happy about this and justifies the purchase for me - time saved is a precious thing.

I would strongly recommend the 6 inch model. Having compared them both in a shop, the 6 inch model has significantly better resolution and is much sharper and clearer than the 5 inch model. The additional size is also helpful when in use as the screen is easier to see.

The provided suction attachment to the windscreen is also genius - stick it against the windscreen, twist, and it holds solid.

There are some downsides, however, which are worth being aware of:

- Battery life is non-existent - it has to be plugged in pretty much all the time or the battery dies on you.
- The voice control only really works when the car is stationery and quiet - it simply wouldn't work for me on the motorway - which makes it a bit useless really. For me though, it is more of a nice-to-have than an essential feature, but worth noting if this is important to you.
- Updating the device from your PC takes hours (about 3-4 hours for me with 40mbps fibre broadband) and the internal memory cannot hold it all anyway - so you have to leave maps or details off, or buy a memory card (leaving you the customer distinctly unimpressed that the £300 device you've just bought is inadequate without an additional purchase). In practice it is not a big issue though because you don't usually need maps for the entire world all there at the same time - you can just download the ones you need in advance of your travels.

Overall, a great device which should give you hours of your life back. TomTom really need to address the battery issue though, or just market the device as requiring a power source to operate, and the voice control.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...