4.0 out of 5 stars2,875

1,798 of 1,861 people found the following review helpful
Update 7/3/14 - Fitbit just came out with a new upgrade to the Fitbit app for the iPhone which adds some very cool GPS features. I'm adding details at the end of this review.

I bought 3 of these fitbit flex devices, one for myself, my husband and my sister. Before purchasing I researched several wristband devices such as the Jawbone UP, the Nike Fuel and and the Polar Loop. I also looked at the fitbit force which is a newer version of this band. The lack of water resistance on the force was a deal breaker for me. I wanted to be able to wear this band 24/7 and to be able to wear it in the shower or when swimming. That was part of what made it attractive to me. Also, after reading reviews about the clasp problems on the force and how many people lost them, I wanted no part of that. They are also quite a bit bigger and look clunckier. The wristband on the UP looked like it would catch on everything and had no display at all. The Polar had lots of quality problems. I wasn't crazy about the looks of the Nike. The display is nice and I can see how people would like them, but not my style. The fitbit flex, to my tastes, had the coolest look. I also know a couple of people who own the fitbit flex and they were very enthusiastic about them so that influenced me as well.

So here is what I like about the flex: I like the way it looks on my wrist. All of us got the slate color. You can also order bands in a few different colors, both here and on the Fitbit site. It is lightweight and even though I don't often wear a watch I don't notice this on my wrist at all. The clasp was VERY difficult to secure the first couple of times until the rubber softened up a bit and until I got the hang of it. I secured it off of my wrist a couple times when it was new. Making sure the band and clasps are lined up correctly and then placing one finger directly below the clasp and my thumb directly above and squeezing hard was the way to do it.

I like that it's water resistant and that I can wear it swimming or in the shower. It is safe down to 10 meters or around 30 feet. I like that the wristband is made of TPU rubber, which according to Wikipedia is a type of rubber used in automotive instrument panels, caster wheels, power tools, sporting goods, medical devices, drive belts, footwear, inflatable rafts, and a variety of extruded film, sheet and profile applications. I think it should hold up for a very long time. I like that the display on the band gives me a rough idea by tapping on it of my progress throughout the day. I can also check my progress on my iPhone 4S and see number of steps so far, calories burned,how many hours of sleep I got last night and how often I woke up or was restless. So far it seems very accurate. I can also track the foods I've eaten and the calories, my weight goals and weight lost, check on the weekly number of steps friend's with Fitbits have taken and compare them with my own.

I like that I can wear it 24/7 and only have to take it off to charge it once every 7 days. It takes about 3 hours to charge with a USB thingie that comes with it. I use a wall adapter to charge it but could also use a USB port on my desktop or laptop computer. I've lost too many pedometers in the past by dropping them out of my pockets or forgetting about them and sending them through the washing machine, so the wristband seems like a much better option for me. I also like that I can connect wirelessly with my smartphone and with the little dongle included that goes into my desktop or laptop, can connect with those wirelessly as well. Software downloads for all of these are free. I'm also able to connect on my first gen Kindle HD 8.9 although I can't see where it's shown as a supported device so far. But it works with the Android fitbit software in the app store.

The step measurements seem reasonably accurate. Waving my hand slowly won't register as a step. Waving wildly will. Driving in the car won't register but reaching around quickly in the car sometimes will. Typing on the computer or Kindle won't register. I've heard that swimming doesn't register either but you can input the time and activity on your phone or tablet. When I first got the flex I started the iPhone app and watched my steps register on my screen as I walked around the house. That, and watching my steps on the treadmill have shown it to be pretty accurate for me, although not perfect. I think that all pedometers have some inaccuracies. What I'm looking for is a comparative trend where I can tell how much exercise I'm getting. The accuracy is good enough for me.

So I wake up in the morning, tap the wristband quickly a few times to tell it I'm awake. Then if I tap it twice I see one tiny blinking light, telling me I'm working on my first 2,000 steps. Later, when I've hit that mark and tap to check again, I'll see one solid light and the second one blinking. There are 5 lights total and each represents 2,000 steps (or 20% of my goal. I could set it up differently on my computer, using a different number of steps as my daily goal if I wanted to.) So I can see my approximate progress any time during the day. When I hit my goal of 10,000 steps the band vibrates and all the lights flash. That means you done good!

I can set up to 8 silent vibrating alarms on this fltbit. I have one to wake me up on weekdays (you can specify which days) and one at 8:00 each night to remind me stop eating for the day. The vibration gets my attention and is effective at waking me up. I set the alarms on my computer or phone.

At night when I'm in bed and ready to go to sleep I tap the wristband rapidly a few times, it vibrates briefly, and goes into the sleep mode until I wake it again in the morning.

So am I happy that I purchased the Fitbits for myself and my family members? Yes I am. It motivates me to walk or run more. I can connect to other friends and family with Fitbits to see everyone's weekly step progress but what really motivates me is just competing against myself. I'll find myself parking in the back of the parking lots at stores to log those extra steps or walking around the store longer because it's a good way to add even more. When I haven't reached my goal at night, I'll sometimes walk around the house several times just to hit a number. Now that can't be all bad, can it?

Update 1/12/14 - I'll keep updating this review with comments and observations as I use this device. I noticed that walking at a rapid pace is counted as "active minutes". Someone on a message board suggested adding a touch of lotion to the clasp if you're having trouble getting it to clasp when it's new.

Update 1/16/14 - A full charge is lasting just a bit over 7 days. It takes about 3 hours to recharge it fully.

Update 1/21/14 - Some people have complained about this band coming undone and losing it. I haven't had any problems with it at all, even when pulling tight coat and shirt sleeves over it, brushing my arm against things or the dog pulling on it once or twice. (I'm sure the dog could have pulled it off if I didn't stop him.) The other day I had the dog's leash wrapped around the wrist with the Fitbit and even with the dog pulling against the leash the fitbit stayed on. We walked this way a couple of miles before I noticed it and unwrapped the leash from my wrist. But even with all that agitation my fitbit stayed put. It has stayed on through enough that I'm not very concerned about losing it. I've only taken it off to charge it. I have the band snug enough that I can only put one finger beneath the band but I can move it a couple of inches back and forth on my wrist.

Update 6/9/14 - Still loving the Fitbit and still wearing it 24/7. The battery is still lasting about 7 days before needing a recharge and it still takes about three hours to charge. It has been working perfectly with no problems at all. My sister gave me these bands for my birthday a couple months ago Fitbit Flex Accessory Wristbands Three-Pack so now I switch to different colors that go with whatever I'm wearing. I really like the navy color. Fitbit is great motivation to keep me moving.

Update 7/3/14 - A new update that works with the iPhone devices that use the Fitbit app was released a few days ago. I've used it with my iPhone 4S and really like the new upgrade. It adds a whole new dimension to my Fitbit app. With the upgrade, I just click on the exercise icon on the dashboard which takes me to a new screen showing the days of the week that I've exercised. (Meaning a walk, run or hike, something in addition to the regular walking in my daily activities.) This screen shows exercise frequency by day of the week, it puts a check on the days that you do some planned exercise. If I click the little stopwatch in the upper right-hand corner, it takes me to a screen where I can click Walk, Run, or Hike. I go back and can then click Cues which takes me to another screen where I can select whether or not I want to hear spoken cues. I can also tell it which cues I want including: Distance, Time, Average Pace, Split Pace, and Calories Burned. Then I go back again an can select the frequency of the cues from every .5 miles to every 5 miles. Or, I can make the cues time based ranging from every 2 minutes, 3, 4, 5, 10, 15, 20, 25, or 30 minutes. I can also select the volume of the cues. (Medium was perfect for me.) Then, back again to select a playlist from my iPhone's loaded tunes. Last, I allowed location services for Fitbit in my phone settings and I was ready to go. Now I see a big red circle with a Start arrow on the screen over a GPS map showing my location. I pop in my earphones, click Start and my music starts playing.

As I walk, I can see a screen showing how far I've walked, rate per mile, time elapsed. Every half mile a voice interrupts my music telling me how far I've gone and all the other things I've specified in Cues that I wanted to know. Then it goes back to playing my music until it's time for my next designated Cue. How cool is that? It works seamlessly. At the end of my walk I tell it I'm finished (or I could also pause it if I stop to talk to a neighbor or something). When I'm finished (or even during the walk or run) I can see a little red line showing my route on the map. The steps from my walk are added to my steps count, just as they always are. I love these new features. They add a lot to the Fitbit experience.

11/25/14 - Being such a big Fitbit fan, my friends keep asking if I'm going to buy one of the new Fitbit Charge Wireless Activity Tracker & Sleep Wristband bands that have just come out or one of the newer ones to be released next year. I'm still thinking about it, but one of the big things I like about the Fitbit I have is it's simplicity. I don't have to take it off in the shower or when swimming and I can wear it 24/7. I also have accumulated quite a collection of different color bands, both from Fitbit and third party sellers. I mostly wear the black, slate, navy and white ones, but I like having some of the other colors too, to match my outfits. The new ones have a built-in watch. Most of the time I think I would like that. But I do have quite a few regular watches that I like to wear. With this Fitbit, I can wear them on my other arm. Fitbit on one arm, regular watch on the other. But with the new ones it would look kind of silly wearing two watches. Right now, only one Fitbit can be registered and used at a time. I think if they were interchangeable I would consider using both, simply because I like new technology.

Update 12/3/14 - If something happened to this Fitbit today, what would I replace it with? Another one just like it.

Update 12/26/14 - After almost a year of wearing these 24/7, none of us have had one come off accidentally. Even the cheap knock-off bands seem sturdy and reliable like the original. And I'm not a very careful person about pulling tight sleeves over it or draping grocery bag handles over my arm.
I have the steps across our back patio counted out by counting them myself. It is 60 steps back and forth once. (Yeah, I know, way too anal.) Oftentimes when I haven't hit my 10,000 steps for the day, I'll go out and walk back and forth with my iPad on the patio table to check my progress. I know from doing this that the Fitbit step count is dead-on accurate for counting steps when walking. Dancing will add steps which I think is fair since it's at least as good as walking for exercise.

Update 4/30/15 - Fitbit has an update that now allows you to track multiple Fitbit devices on your Fitbit app. I haven't tried this, but from what I understand this will allow you to go back and forth between other models and once registered it will recognize them automatically. It's tempting to try the Fitbit Charge or the Surge that can measure heart rate or pulse or have caller ID. They're bulkier than I would like to wear on an all-the-time basis, but would be nice for workouts. And new technology is always fun. The Flex is still my first love and I like the switchable bands, but I'll look at the new models now that it isn't an either/or decision. Here are their instructions for adding another Fitbit:

Update your Fitbit app (if you haven't already)
`Set Up a New Fitbit Device' from the Account tab in the Fitbit mobile app or Fitbit Connect
Finish the setup instructions, and start swapping - we'll take care of the rest!

Update 4/30/15 - With the nice Spring weather it's been a great time to get out and walk. Still loving my Fitbit which keeps track of all those steps. I've ordered a few more band from third party sellers, not because I really need them, but because there are so many new colors available. They even have prints and patterns now. My husband was asking why we need so many, but I noticed that he's been wearing the camo pattern one a lot this week. So hard to resist and they make my Fitbit look all new again!

5/1/15 - I just saw this Fitbit commercial on TV tonight and can't get that song out of my head. You can watch it on YouTube here: Great ad, Fitbit!

Update 6/6/15 - several people have asked about water resistance in comments and emails, so with summer here I will add yet another update. In one place on their website they recommended against swimming with it and taking it off when showering because while water won't hurt the tracker "wearing it 24/7 does not give your skin a chance to breathe".

This is from their technical specs which can be found here:
Device is water resistant, and can be submerged up to 10 meters."

10 meters is 30 feet. So I guess it depends on where you look on their site. When I purchased mine almost a year and a half ago the 10 meter thing was prominent on their website. And as you can see from their website it's still in their specs. I always shower with mine, I never dry it off afterward except the top when I'm drying my arms. I don't swim often but when I do, I leave it on. If I were going to spend a lot of time swimming on a regular basis I might take it off since it doesn't track swimming anyway. But for splashing around in a pool occasionally, I don't worry about it.
My skin is somewhat sensitive to watch bands and I'm allergic to some metals and other materials. I couldn't be much LESS careful about the Fitbit and have never had a problem with the band and my skin. The underside is often damp from getting wet in the shower even half an hour later and it hasn't bothered my wrist. Being able to wear this 24/7 was a major selling point for me and it has worked just fine since January 2014.

Update 11/30/15 - Almost 2 years and our Fitbits are still going strong. I've been wearing mine 24/7 the whole time except for a couple hours, once a week to recharge it. If anything happened to this one, I would replace it with another one just like it. It's simple to use, works well, and I love being able to switch to different color or patterned bands when I feel like it.
8484 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 20 June 2015
Tried for years to lose weight and never stuck with diets or fitness programmes as I get bored. This little gadget has been amazing for me in providing the incentive to keep going. So far I have lost 11lbs in 8 weeks! The Flex tracks your activity throughout the day and calculates the calories burned and active minutes, and by downloading the Fitbit app you can log in and note the foods you have eaten. The simple burn more calories than you consume. Certain activities like cycling or using a rowing machine don't register on the tracker but you can enter a record manually on your phone, tablet or laptop. At the end of the day you can check your goals such as daily steps, distance and calories burned and get great satisfaction at seeing all those lights turn green......if not then it's back out for another walk with the dog! The Flex also tracks your sleep pattern, has a vibrating alarm function that really works (I am a heavy sleeper and it wakes me up) and notifies you during the day when you reach your goals. My daughter has since bought the Fitbit Charge which includes a watch display, numeric step counter rather than just lights and keeps track of floors climbed. If you can afford the extra go for the Charge although the Flex is an affordable and reliable little gadget that I am more than happy with.
on 18 August 2013
I didn't buy my fitbit flex from amazon, but rather a high street catalogue shop and in fairness that was because I wanted it then and there as I was about to go running and wanted to try it out.

I already had a fitbit zip which was good but the amount of times I left it on the bedside cabinet meant days went without any tracking. so I thought the wristband would be better for me.

I use the large band and I'm happy that it's comfortable (if not the easiest to put on with one hand - but it won't come off) and I forget it's on my wrist.

I like the sleep tracking function - it has shown me what I already know - I'm a restless sleeper - but no advice on how to change that!

More so that anything else I set a target number of steps on my iphone and throughout the day give it a double tap and see my progress. I've yet to not achieve my goal as I find myself quite competitive and don't want to be beaten by a machine.

The up side of that is I'm spending more time with my dog out long walks and after 3 weeks of using it I've lost 6lbs in weight. my overall goal was to become more active and fit and as a result I knew I'd lose weight but I didn't think it would be that quick.

the iphone app is ok but the web dashboard is much better if you have the time to log in to it. the graphs are more detailed and easier to follow online. there is a fitbit premium service you can join for £39.99 but I did the one week trial and couldn't really see what all the fuss was about.

the flex is well made and easy to use and it's great if you can get your friends into a fitbit - you get a progress chart on your phone and it constantly updates showing who is in the lead for the week with the total number of steps - another great way to get motivated.

I think the price seemed a bit much when I was buying it but now that I have it I enjoy using it.

my only two complaints are:

1. that there is no indication of when the battery is about to go flat - except in the app,

2. that the online fitbit store differs from country to country and the UK doesn't have replacement flex bands yet - there's nothing wrong with mine but it's orange and a bit bright for me - I'd rather have had the slate - but like I said earlier I couldn't wait for the delivery.

I hope this has been useful.
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
1,004 of 1,098 people found the following review helpful
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 18 June 2013
I waited a long time for this to be released onto the market and now I've used it for a few weeks I'm not quite sure about it. There's an expectation (probably fuelled by the hype around these devices) that they're something more sophisticated than a pedometer that sits on your wrist - well, even with all the complex algorithms and blurb, they're still measuring movement at wrist level. That said, if you understand this and make the necessary allowances you should be able to get a decent benchmark on your daily activities but a £10 manual pedometer will do the same for you.

Here are my pro's and con's:

Sits nicely on your wrist and is comfortable and unobtrusive.
Quick indication of your planned "steps" for the day.
Great app with continual bluetooth connection - this is the best out there.
Doesn't need to be removed for bathing.
Tracks sleep pretty effectively.
You can integrate other data (BP, food, water weight etc.) on the web site. This is a novelty when you first start out but who seriously has the time to do all this?

Water gets in the bracelet and it gets gunky in the strap.
Unpredictable tracking of movements - it tracks cycling but for no logical reason and not accurate so it throws the figures way out. Same for cross trainer. Same for typing.
Battery life is short - 4 days max for me so far.
If the battery goes flat you lose all the unsynchronised data - easy to do if you're not near a charging point and I don't think there's any indication on the device that it's going to fail - you have to refer to the app.

So, I'm unsure about it. It's as good if not better than any of the others out there but it's really not much different to the old fashioned pedometers. Probably the natural successor that we've all got to have, which is why I bought it! I'll keep it going but can see it eventually making it's way to the back of the drawer like all the other life-changing gadgets that I've bought........

UPDATE 22 JULY 2013...
Well, I've stuck with it and reckon it may end up in the back of the drawer. Couple of things that really don't do it for me:

If you do anything fairly active (like a bit of DIY), you can easily put it into sleep mode.

Battery life is pretty poor.

Just tried to update the software - completely hung and needs a reset.

Strap is really nasty in the hot weather.

UPDATE 28 AUGUST 2013....
It froze completely and went into no response mode. Tried all the reset recommendations and nothing. Wouldn't hold a charge, didn't respond to taps etc. Sent it back (thanks Amazon and Fitbit - great customer service) and got a new one.
55 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 28 November 2015
think this is taking the piss, a total fake, counterfeit product...
Dear Customer,

We’re sorry. It appears that the device you tried to connect is counterfeit and was not manufactured by Fitbit. We recommend returning it to the place of purchase.

Please note, any personal information you provided while setting up your account remains safely in your Fitbit account and is protected by Fitbit’s data security measures and privacy policy. The counterfeit device was blocked from transferring any data to your account.

Purchasing Fitbit products directly from Fitbit in our online store or from our authorized retailers is the best way to ensure you are getting an authentic Fitbit product. Should you choose to buy a Fitbit device, you can simply log into the account you created and set up your new tracker.

Best regards,
Team Fitbit
on 8 July 2014
Love my fit bit! I had laboured over whether the cost was worth it compared to my previous £20 pedometer, but it really has been worth it. Reason being is that with my pedometer I was reaching my 10,000 steps daily, but the Fit Bit challenges me in other ways, most predominantly achievement of my active steps- which is a lot harder and takes a lot more conscious effort than just doing 10,000 steps.

It has challenged my health behaviours further, and I am proactively taking more walks throughout the day and taking the longer route where possible to get extra steps in.

I like the sleep tracker- it really shows obvious things like how alcohol may knock you out for 10 hours, but your sleep is really poor in this time. Also how stress or working late can really affect your sleep- shown by the amount of restless or even sleepless time. It has changed my habits, such as now not watching TV right before sleep and not having caffeine in the evening.

Only reason I have given 4 stars is because the charger does not always work- in fact now it barely charges it, so I have had to buy another charger. Otherwise would have been a 5*.

Buy one!! But don't forget that the fit bit doesn't do walking for you- you still need to challenge your own activity levels :)
on 30 January 2015
I found this so annoying that, even though it was free from my private health insurance, I haven't worn it after the initial 4 days.
The problem for me is that you have to wear it on your non dominant wrist, therefore you cannot wear a watch. The band just has a few lights on it, if it had the paces and a watch it would be great. If you want to know how many paces you have done, you have to get your phone out and check on that, if you want to know the time, you have to get your phone out and check on that.

It drained the power of my phone so that by mid afternoon I had no phone battery left.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 28 November 2015
The item initially appeared to be as described, however the authenticity of the item has been called into question, as the device can no longer connect to software, and an error message reads

"unauthorised tracker setup attempt blocked. It appears the device you tried to connect is counterfeit and was not manufactured by Fitbit".

Despite the fact that this item appears to be sold from Fitbit, the delivery was fulfilled by Hot Deals For Less, which may be the cause of the problem.
on 5 November 2014
I don't write reviews. I am too busy. But for this I am making an exception as I've already wasted an hour trying to contact Fitbit customer services, to no avail. There is zero customer support for this product.

Initially I was pleased with my Fitbit Flex. I wore it day and night and found the results of my activity and sleep patterns very interesting. It even helped to motivate my to meet my targets, slightly. I am quite serious about exercising and regularly use GPS tracking apps on my phone-which are brilliant. This will do very little to improve on the apps. To be honest, it's a bit of a gimmick and an interesting novelty, in hind sigh, a waste of money. This was my opinion before the band broke. Within a few days of wearing the band began to split, it held on for dear life for a good while but eventually broke completely. I have fairly small wrist and I could just about make the smaller band fit, which broke within about 2 days. Then the dongle also broke for use with a computer.

The app is also very intermittent, seemingly whenever you actually need to view what results you just have a blank screen, even though it says it's linked. The sleep tracker doesn't give you any time reference, so even though you can see times of good/disturbed sleep and how long you slept for, you work out at what time different things may have effected your sleep. Similar thing with 'active' minutes. And the accuracy of the tracking itself is really poor(I wasn't expecting much so I'm not being unfair here), I burn more calories having a shower and brushing my teeth than running 5 miles.

As I've mentioned I've been trying to contact customer support and after some effort had to except all I could do is fill in an online form and wait for a reply, but I've already been warned by them that they are dealing with high volume(no surprise there), so they will reply by email some time this year. Maybe.

Seriously people, save your money. If it's genuine fitness tracking you want, get an app, get a smart watch, get a heart rate monitor, preferably with GPS, don't get this. If it's just some motivation to get off your bum a bit more and maybe loose a bit of weight then spend the money you were going to spend on this on some decent trainers and go out for a brisk walk or jog for a couple of miles a day and write down your results, you'll soon see big improvements. Forget about Fitbit, I urge you.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 18 October 2015
A decent device, unfortunately didn't last long before the clasp came loose and I lost it.
Hugely dislike how Fitbit cripple your access to the data and attempt to force you into paying a monthly subscription to get the full benefits - there's no way of extracting the raw data from the device so you're limited to what their free site offers.