on 25 July 2011
This is a great HR monitor for the price. It obviously tells you your heart rate, but also tells you if you're training in the fat burning zone. This is a huge advantage to somebody like me who does cardio like running and skipping as it can tell you if you're pushing too hard or not hard enough. I now realise that for about 6 months I've been pushing too hard in the running and have actually been elevating my heart rate above the optimal needed for fat burning.

The sensor strap that comes with it, which you wear around your chest to monitor the actual heart rate (which then sends a signal to the watch) is comfortable and hasn't rubbed or irritated my skin at all. You do have to wet the sensors before putting it on and my advice is to use lukewarm water, because cold water can obviously be a little too cold when you first attach the strap.

What it does:

1) Tells you if you're in the target fat burning zone (the most useful info of the lot in my opinion).

2) Tells you how many calories you've burnt.

3) Tells you how long your exercise lasted for and how much of that time was spent in the fat burning zone.

4) It gives you a maximum heart rate for training period, as well as an average.

5) It also tells you the time of day.

What it doesn't do:

1) It doesn't tell you the distance you've covered.

2) It doesn't come with software that you can use to sync your results to your computer. However, you can go to the Polar training website and input your results manually, which is what I do; and you'll still get a record and chart of your results over a period of time.

So, a pretty good HR monitor and cheap considering the features you get. It's simple to use and takes 2 minutes when you first use it to input some basic details about yourself including age, weight and height. For this price I can live without fancy software to sync up with the computer; I don't mind manually entering my data results onto the Polar website. I can also live without features such as backlit watch face or dive-resistance. It would've been nice to have had results for distance covered; but I guess you can't have everything at this price level. You can always easily figure out how far you've run yourself anyway.
1111 comments298 of 313 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 15 June 2009
This is an excellent fitness accessory its very useful it tells you your heart rate on the fly as well as the calories you have burned and how much fat burned out of the total calories i would recommend for anyone in training or anyone trying to lose weight it looks cool too.
on 5 April 2013
Love it! Don't notice the strap. Watch is a great size! Motivates me to push harder in my work outs!
on 27 July 2015
Obsessed with this watch! Comes with a heart monitor. Is so addictive! I have been to the gym more than I have ever been! And push myself harder! Must buy! 👍🏻👍🏻😁😁
review image review image
on 20 August 2014
Love this item. Very simple to set up and does exactly what it claims to do. This is my first HRM and it couldn't be easier to use. It measures heart rate, length of workout and calories burned. I wanted to know how many calories burned when swimming so the first outing was in a pool. This device really encouraged me to push myself harder, just what I wanted, I thoroughly recommend this HRM.
on 19 June 2013
I chose this product based on the reviews on amazon and on-line and could not be more delighted with the watch. Its great for those just starting out, its easy to use and I haven't had any problems using it so far. The chest strap is very comfortable I hardly even notice it during exercise.
on 13 November 2009
Hi, I got this for my wife for running and she love it, and it's easy to use
on 30 January 2015
I have been using this for quite some time now and I absolutely love it. It's perfect for monitoring your heart rate and makes a little beeping sound when you are too high or too low. Also makes you feel great when you realise how many calories you have burned. Would highly recommend!
on 22 May 2015
This watch was very very easy to set up and use. Unfortunately it kept losing the heart rate signal and I did not have one accurate reading in the entire time I had it before returning (approx one month). Fortunately I bought it through Amazon and there was no hassle returning it.
on 30 January 2016
My first Polar watch lasted 10 years, had an easy to read display and performed excellently.
This watch could not be further away from my original. Had to change the battery on the belt in the first week and the watch repeatedly fails to connect to the strap. Sometimes the strap works with the gym equipment the connection to the watch is non existent. The display on the watch is difficult to read even with the backlight. It is truly an awful product and I will not buy another Polar watch again. A real disappointment but an all too often trend of great companies going downhill.