on 25 July 2011
This is a great HR monitor for the price. It obviously tells you your heart rate, but also tells you if you're training in the fat burning zone. This is a huge advantage to somebody like me who does cardio like running and skipping as it can tell you if you're pushing too hard or not hard enough. I now realise that for about 6 months I've been pushing too hard in the running and have actually been elevating my heart rate above the optimal needed for fat burning.

The sensor strap that comes with it, which you wear around your chest to monitor the actual heart rate (which then sends a signal to the watch) is comfortable and hasn't rubbed or irritated my skin at all. You do have to wet the sensors before putting it on and my advice is to use lukewarm water, because cold water can obviously be a little too cold when you first attach the strap.

What it does:

1) Tells you if you're in the target fat burning zone (the most useful info of the lot in my opinion).

2) Tells you how many calories you've burnt.

3) Tells you how long your exercise lasted for and how much of that time was spent in the fat burning zone.

4) It gives you a maximum heart rate for training period, as well as an average.

5) It also tells you the time of day.

What it doesn't do:

1) It doesn't tell you the distance you've covered.

2) It doesn't come with software that you can use to sync your results to your computer. However, you can go to the Polar training website and input your results manually, which is what I do; and you'll still get a record and chart of your results over a period of time.

So, a pretty good HR monitor and cheap considering the features you get. It's simple to use and takes 2 minutes when you first use it to input some basic details about yourself including age, weight and height. For this price I can live without fancy software to sync up with the computer; I don't mind manually entering my data results onto the Polar website. I can also live without features such as backlit watch face or dive-resistance. It would've been nice to have had results for distance covered; but I guess you can't have everything at this price level. You can always easily figure out how far you've run yourself anyway.
1010 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 5 April 2013
Love it! Don't notice the strap. Watch is a great size! Motivates me to push harder in my work outs!
on 14 November 2015
Amazing product.. have lost 8 stone in weight 3 years ago .. managed to keep it all off but found that because i work 13 hour shifts and can only make it to the gym the days im off, i rely heavily on home workouts .. i do find frustatring though the fact that i never know exactly what im burning or how effective my workout has been .... NOT ANY MORE WITH THIS .. i always aim to burn 500 calories per workout and so this helps me achieve my goals ... The reason i like the gym so much is that the cardio machines give an estimate of what i burn ( all be it an innacurate one) but its still satisfying to see .. from now on ill not feel guilty about not being able to hit the gym as i can achieve my goals with this

If ur a fitness enthusiast PLEASE BUYYYY

on 7 November 2015
This HR monitor and watch does EXACTLY what I need it to do!! I don't care about my sleeping habits or how many steps I've taken in a day-- I care about my HR and calories burned during a workout! The best feature is that it keeps a running clock during your "workout mode" so you can see how long you've been working out. It also has a "HR zone" tracker, to show you when you're in your ideal HR zone.

If you are looking for a continual, all-day HR monitor, or something that tracks your caloric burn throughout the day, this is probably not the activity tracker for you. Polar says that the battery in the watch and the HR receiver on the strap will eventually die, needing replacement. You can't charge this yourself, so it's not best to keep the HR function on all day long.

I do like that the wristband is also a WATCH, so i'm not just wearing something useless around my wrist that doesn't display anything! Love the pink color, and the watch face isn't toooo big. Bigger than a normal IronMan ladie's watch, but not ridiculously large.

CON- if you can't remember the strap AND the watch, it's a bit useless. But the only way to get your ACCURATE Calories burned, you need a HR monitor strap!

Overall, this watch does exactly what I need it to do, and doesn't have any other extra bells and whistles. I want to see that I've gotten over 500 calories for my workout, and I want to compare my average HRs while I swim, run, spin, or do another cardio machines. Sometimes, the chest strap wirelessly connects with newer cardio machines, showing your HR right on the screen, in case you forgot your watch!
on 9 February 2015
I am in love with this product. It really motivates me into exercising. It looks good and is so easy to use. It's slightly cheaper than the shops which I was happy about but still quite expensive. Well worth the money though. Delivery was speedy too. The only reason I have given it four stars is because I havnt tried it under water yet.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 22 July 2011
I've used F4 for a few months and so far I am very pleased with it. F4 works very well and has all the basic functionality that I need: heart rate, adjustable heart rate zone, zone warnings, burnt calories, time, average heart rate etc. It's not very stylish but I wouldn't wear it outside the running path anyway:)

- easy to set up
- easy to use
- chest belt is comfortable and machine washable (in laundry bag)
- finds heart rate reliably and quickly
- display is easy to read

- none really

I may upgrade to a heart rate monitor with a GPS receiver in the future but I can recommend F4 for anyone who wants a reliable monitor with basic functions for a reasonable price.
on 20 August 2014
Love this item. Very simple to set up and does exactly what it claims to do. This is my first HRM and it couldn't be easier to use. It measures heart rate, length of workout and calories burned. I wanted to know how many calories burned when swimming so the first outing was in a pool. This device really encouraged me to push myself harder, just what I wanted, I thoroughly recommend this HRM.
on 28 August 2015
This was exactly what I was looking for. After a little maneuvering to understand the semantics of how the buttons work I've got it down. I don't find that the heart rate band bothers me and hardly notice it's on. It helps me monitor my heart rate and the amount of calories I'm burning. It really helps me push myself while working out because I'm conscious of how much I'm burning.
on 11 March 2014
I bought this HRM a few months ago after doing a lot of research and getting some recommendations from people, and I'm so happy I did! Its simple to use, tells me all the things I want or need to know and is like my new gym buddy. It makes me feel motivated and push myself a little bit harder. Would definitely recommend!
on 6 August 2015
Love this watch, its a good price for your first fitness watch. I use this in the gym as I travel round the machines to see how many calories I burn in total. I also use it in group classes so I know how much I've burned. The body strap is barely noticeable when you're wearing it. You can change the screen throughout the workout to view your heart rate, time of day, duration of workout and calories burned. The watch provides a target heart rate window based on your weight and height. If your heart rate goes higher it will beep to let you know. You can look back on your previous workouts and see how many calories you burned. I find using the watch motivates me to work harder so I can see my heart rate climb. I also tend to set calorie targets for each workout, so once I've burned the calories that I want to I end my workout. I have also used this for home workouts and for running and it's interesting to see which exercises get my heart rate going and which burn less calories.