on 4 August 2015
Initially I thought there was a problem, despite some of the negative reviews on here I'd seen the majority of good ones and purchased this router. Set up was very easy, I'd followed some advice and renamed the SSID using my old Virgin one with the same password, my PC and other devices all immediately connected. However the real reason I purchased this router was for the 5ghz wireless and I was a little concerned that INSSIDER was reporting a max speed of 54 when it should have been far, far greater, on top of that my download speeds had dropped to below 20M, sometimes only even 5M (I had been averaging 20-30M on the Virgin Superhub. I could find nothing online on in the router menus that seemed to allow me to change this. I emailed TP-Link but given some of the reviews was guessing I was unlikely to receive a response. Just after sending the email I discovered purely by chance a comment online that said INSSIDER V3 (the free one) couldn't/wouldn't work with the latest wireless standards a/ac and would report automatically 54! I downloaded another scanner and lo and behold discovered the router was actually running at 300mbps not 54! I however was still getting slow downloads and Virgin were claiming everything was fine their end. I should add I was getting a pretty good signal from this router despite one brick wall and the length of the house between it and my PC. By now it was late and I left it until early the next morning before checking my download speed (note I'd left the PC on and connected and had changed nothing from the evening before) and suddenly my speed was hitting the maximum that I subscribe to 100M! I checked again and again and in fact several days later I've just checked again and I'm still hitting 100M On top of that I'd had a response from TP-Link who suggested a variety of things I should do to enable them to diagnose better the problem. I had to email them back with an apology since quite plainly the only thing at fault was INSSIDER from reporting the incorrect speed and Virgin for yet again denying they had an issue when they plainly did! I have no hesitation in recommending this router and can also say how excellent TP-Links service was (OK they didn't need to do anything in the end but the replied within hours and indeed I've had a follow up email from them after my apologetic email)
44 comments19 of 19 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 27 August 2015
Very easy to set up (I'm with BT Infinity) and so far no problems at all. It was so easy to set up and use that I haven't really accessed any of the more advanced features or settings. The range of signal and stability of connection are excellent, particularly on the 5k signal which I have often associated with a much more flighty connection. Having the 2 frequencies mean that we have shared the signals between devices that either can't access or don't require the higher speeds leaving the 5k clear for phones and Mac. Having suffered with a BT Hub for a couple of years I would say that this is really the solution to your Home Hub problems.
on 2 June 2015
The C9 is an excellent router. Easy to use and setup. The wireless range is far superior to my old C7.
(The router is situated in a corner in the farthest part of the house) Previously I had a Archer C7 and I used 4 power line adapters dotted around the house (thick walls). I am now down to 2 power line adapters.
I have also been testing the ASUS RT68U which my opinion is comparable to the Archer C9. However, the web interface is better and there is alternative firmware available (Merlin). It also smaller then the Archer C9. In the end I choose the C9 because it the ASUS wireless range just fell short of what the C9 could cover.
To note I also have a BT HH5 on a second broadband line. Both the ASUS and Archer C9 easily outclass HH5 regarding wireless range.
on 25 June 2015
Amazing router, the perfect addition to my sky fibre internet, opened the box, plugged in the wires and the device worked right away without any fiddly configuration. The awesome part is the strength of the connection on newer wifi devices such as my xbox one, amazon fire tv, Samsung galaxy s5. I could not believe it but streaming on my home devices works without any buffering time even on hd definition.
on 7 March 2015
Big improvement over the past year or so on firmware has made this one of the better routers out there.

I've been trying various routers, from Asus RT-AC68U, and even the seriously overpriced Linksys WDR1900AC, and the TPLink Archer D7. All were decent enough routers, but the Archer C7 with the latest firmware is without doubt the best of the lot.

I have the C7 on top of the wardrobe in the spare room, on the first floor at the back of the house. My laptop gets a solid 866Mb connection on 5GHz all round the house (Dell Latitude E7440 with the Intel AC7260 2x2 wifi chip). My living room HTPC, which is downstairs at the front of the house, has one of the excellent Asus PCE-68U PCI-Express wifi cards, with the 3 external antennas. It gets a solid 1.3Gb connection, which gives me over 50MB/s file copies off my NAS unit.

I've had zero issues with connection on 5GHz on the recent firmware - older firmwares weren't so good.

So, now that this router is less than £100, I think it's a real bargain. It's faster, cheaper, and more configurable than even the big Linksys. It also uses much less power, only 4W compared to nearly 20W for the Linksys.
0Comment20 of 22 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 12 November 2015
Great upgrade from an old TP-Link wireless N router; now getting around 80mpbs to my Surface Pro 3 on wireless, and can stream video to several Chrome Casts at the same time without buffering or other such issues. There are around 12 different wifi devices connected at any one time to the access points and it is more able to support all of these devices in parallel.
I've had no stability issues with it running for over a month without issue.

The only two disappointments are:
There is no 'access point only' mode unlike the older routers, meaning that if you just want it to use it as an AP, the WAN port is wasted.
You can't wall mount it.
on 20 May 2015
Purchased this as it was one of the most expensive TP link routers.
I must say that excluding the wireless this routers pretty fantastic, Its full of features and is very stable.
The interface is easy to use but can be complex enough for even professional users

That said... Its wireless is lackluster
The range is average and the signals can be intermittent.

For the majority of the time the signal is there and usable however there are sometimes disconnects that only a full power cycle will fix...
This is obviously not ideal and I'm running the latest firmware as of 20.05.2015
22 comments2 of 2 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 5 October 2015
Superb router, initially had the newer version with built in modem but it does not support NAT loop back, a problem if you have cctv running through the system. The range is the best I have experienced even better than the Apple AirPort Extreme 6 it replaces! I replaced the BT home hub 5 with a BT modem purchased from eBay for £3 for a wall mounted option and to do away with the free cr*p router.

Had to work a bit harder to get the usb printer working with my Apple Mac mini but sorted the software out which just works fine now, can print from iPad etc from end of garden should I feel the need.

This would work as easily with cable. Highly recommended, it runs cool and does not need to be reset, I've not had to yet anyway '
review image review image review image
Style Name: AC1750 MbpsVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Got this as I was getting rubbish range of my existing router, and I was drawn in by the faster speed on offer.

Took about 5 minutes to set it up. I'm on Virgin Media, and it was simply a case of plugging in the cable from the virgin router into the WAN port, and running through the setup with a cable to connected to the ethernet port. After quickly rattling through a very straightforward setup, the slowest part of the whole process was the router rebooting, which took a minute or so.

Once rebooted, I had full internet access, and it seemed pretty quick over wired and wireless connection.

Changed wireless name and password the match the old one, switched the old router off, and the replacement process was complete.

Did some testing with video streaming, and was very pleased with the results. A couple of devices that had struggled to connect from the living room now stream video easily.

The device looks nice and slick too. Not quite sure what some other reviewers are doing, complaining that it picks up fingers marks - do they sit and touch their routers all night? surely you put it in place and don't touch it!

In summary, an excellent piece of technology.
11 comment51 of 59 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 15 August 2014
Top wireless router at a reasonable price. Has a great range getting rooms through several floors and walls. Very easy set-up apart from the quirk of using 192.168.0.1 instead of the normal 192.168.1.1, Looks classy too. Must have an external internet device to connect to this one and used a fibre-optic compatible one.

Achieved speeds around 55mbps download on the network using just the n setting. A great device!