Format: MP3 DownloadChange

on 13 May 2013
Like most people, I first heard of Gabrielle Aplin through her lovely version of the Power of Love in the John Lewis Christmas advert last year. Forget that; it's on here and it's still lovely but the rest of this album is just fantastic. Fab songs, great voice, beautiful arrangements. I love this album and can't recommend it highly enough.
on 9 September 2013
I'd never heard of Gabrielle Aplin until a recent flight with Emirates where I stumbled upon her album by pure chance on their ICE system. I'm really glad I did.

Gabrielle has an absolutely captivating voice and the tracks on this album are soothing and enchantingly beautiful. Her album occasionally put me in the mind of Jose Gonzales and Ellie Goulding both musically and stylistically. The first three tracks of the album Panic Cord, Keep on Walking and Please Don't Say You Love Me are the real stand out tracks for me, although there isn't a bad song on the album, truth be told. As I listened I thought to myself that it wouldn't be surprising if every song on this CD found its way into a movie or TV show - similar to Takk by Sigur Ros - as the tracklist really is that strong. There is a fantastic cover of The Power of Love, which some will recognise as the music John Lewis used in their Christmas advert last year.

It is always a pleasant surprise when you stumble upon something you enjoy by pure chance and this album was one such lucky stumble. I will be keeping a close eye on Aplin from now on and will be keen to see what else she produces in the future. Going to pop the CD on now and have a relaxing soak in the bath - this album will set the perfect ambience!
on 10 July 2013
Beautiful music, beautifully sung. A real pleasure to listen to. I had heard Gabrielle Aplin on Radio 2 and was really keen to hear more.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
This is a very good debut album indeed. Aplin's talent is almost ridiculously obvious. Most of the arrangements err on the side of simplicity, giving plenty of space for Aplin's voice and words. The Power of Love is the only cover, and its relatively understated (though undoubtedly slick) arrangement ensures it doesn't stick out awkwardly from the rest of the album. Comparing the EP version of Home with the version on this album, the performance is almost identical (at least at the beginning), but the sound is much smoother, polished. It's gorgeous. Aplin's sound is quieter and more reflective than, say, Amy Macdonald, but the material is all the more powerful for its lack of flashiness. And there are enough sing-along choruses to keep me happy.

Aplin doesn't seem to have any shortage of original material: almost all of this album is new material. In addition to the 11 original songs that appear on the track listing, there's a hidden track at the end (Take Me Away). Even more: there are a couple of very good songs (Evaporate and Wake Up With Me) on the bonus disc that comes with the Deluxe version; they are every bit as good as the material on the main album. The bonus disc has four alternate (RAK Sessions) versions of songs from the album. They are consistent with the versions on the album, except for Home, which is played on the piano rather then guitar.

It's wonderful to hear a debut album like this, where the raw talent and personality of an artist like Gabrielle Aplin is nourished, developed and displayed to best effect (thanks to producer Mike Spencer). I feel that Ellie Goulding's personality was almost totally erased by the producer of her first album; not so Gabrielle Aplin on this album.

The deluxe version of English Rain comes with a 6-track second disk (2 new songs and four alternate versions). The "ordinary" version is still pretty good! It's also worth listening to Home EP while it's still available (only as an MP3 download at present).
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 13 April 2015
Garbielle Aplin really first came to my attention after hearing her perform a cover of One Direction's 'Best Song Ever' on the 'BBC Radio 1 Live Lounge' album of 2013, I was not a great fan of the original, but thought the girl had such a charming voice, very pure, rather childlike, and soothing.

'English Rain' is, as far as debut albums go, pretty perfect. Garbielle's gorgeous voice is put to go use with mostly original, skilfully written melodic songs, and hauntingly beautiful arrangements. It contains her superior version of Frankie Goes To Hollywood's 'The Power of Love', which was used a few years ago as the theme of the John Lewis Christmas advert, the adorable 'Please Don't Say You Love Me', and instantly addictive 'Home', which will have you humming to it throughout the day.

Beautiful girl, singer and album. I can listen to 'English Rain' anytime, and feel as though I'm heaven every time I do.
on 6 July 2013
Every song is wonderful. Highly recommended. Can't stop playing it and find myself humming 'Home' throughout the day. Can't wait for the next album.
on 6 July 2013
Wonderful voice that I I had never heard before and with some very new material. Highly recommended as a singer who is going places!
on 8 July 2013
I just love this girl's voice and songwriting. The last 2 songs on the album are a bit weak but the others are just brilliant. She thoroughly deserves her current success and I hope her next album is as good as this one. Go buy it, you won't be disappointed.
on 21 October 2015
This was a real surprise, bought it on the back of the Graham Norton show last week and I've not stopped listening to it since. some of the songs remind me of Munford. Quite folky and acoustic which I love. Different voice, haunting, insightful lyrics, mostly about love and the lack of it ( I think !! ).

I'm an album buyer, I don't like picking songs from playlists, or using digital, for me if I like something I have to own it, feel the cover, read the lyrics, like all of it ( or at least 90% to keep the album ), this is a great listen for the car or just in the back ground, or bounce about your living room.

A really great discovery for me, and that's the great thing about music, its never to late to find you new favourite band or artist, and for now Gabrielle, your mine.
on 4 July 2013
Rarely do I come across an album that impresses me comprehensively - here, every single track is a winner. Gabrielle has a wonderful voice that's somehow as powerful as it is breathy and understated. As far as individual tracks go, for me, particular highlights include 'Home', 'Salvation', 'Human' and 'Panic Cord'. Really stellar stuff all round, though. Each and every track seems honest, potent and nicely written. In a world where most young people are posting music of some kind on YouTube, I'm genuinely glad Ms Aplin was able to crack through. If you're on the fence, give it a punt - it will be totally worth it.