Shop now Learn more Shop now Shop All Amazon Fashion Shop Suki Ad Campaign Pieces Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Amazon Fire TV Shop now Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Voyage Listen in Prime Discover more Shop now

on 22 September 2013
To put this in perspective:

- there are three types of monitor panels, TN, IPS and VA. Because all panels need light from behind, black is a very problematic colour to display (well, black is not a colour, right?)
- TN panels: cheapest and you probably already have one in your home, office or laptop. They have good response times (2 - 5 ms) so are usually good for gaming, but are very bad at colour reproduction and gamma shifting and viewing angles (colours change when you look at them even from a slightly different angle)
- IPS panels: very expensive, excellent colour reproduction and viewing angles, can reproduce colours using between 6 and 10 bit. Usually all are produced by LG. The cheaper 6 bit, while still better then TN panels, are not that impressive. A bit on the slow side (response times > 8ms usually). True professional monitors will use 10 bit panels and cost about £1000 (search for Eizo).
- VA: medium to high price, usually 8 bit colour reproduction which is very good, best contrast and black levels. Eizo actually did use VA panels in one of their very expensive monitors. Until recently, they were slow. This BenQ claims to have a 4ms response time, so very fast.

I own two other monitors, a 27" IPS and a 25" TN. This allowed me to compare this one side by side in real life with all other technologies.

I also had another VA, a 24" older model Benq. I returned that one because although the image quality was absolutely incredible (as in good), I found it too slow. Since then, I kept hoping a faster VA panel would come on the market.

When this one appeared, claiming to be the fastest VA and with zero flicker, I jumped on it.

The good:
- In the box, there is a HDMI cable, finally, no more useless D-SUB cables.
- Has integrated speakers, for me this has always been important, as it allows me to have more space on my desk.
- Flicker free: must be good, but cannot say I noticed a huge improvement there, although I have very sensitive eyes.
- Thin frame, makes it look about the same size as my older 25" monitor.
- Good image quality, with good black levels.
- although I was very worried I'll find it to be slow, it is actually fast. I am not going to return this one!
- I can work on it comfortably even in direct sunlight !

The not so good:
- The speakers are only 2 x 1W. However, I knew what to expect there, and I still think all monitors should have them since the HDMI carries sound.
- Some noises can be heard on different stages and resolution changes. Very discreet, I am only mentioning them because I am very hard to please. The same applies for a lot of other monitors so not a biggy.
- Even at lowest brightness setting, it is still a bit brighter than my other monitors, so not recommended to work on a dark room, however, no reason to work in a dark room anyway.

All in all, I would recommend this monitor. Having a true 8 bit panel, VA and flicker free, and speedy enough, must be impressive. You need to install the driver from the disc, and play with calibration and ClearType settings in Windows (Win 7 in my case) to get the best image.

I work as a web developer, programming and I am always looking for ways to keep my eyes strain-free. I cannot say I see a huge difference, but I do like it so far. If you find a better monitor for your eyes, let me know please!
1010 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 3 March 2015
Very happy with this monitor. I’m a professional illustrator and while I bought this for my general office/web machine rather than a graphics workstation I am satisfied that it’s handling of colour is a lot better than the price tag would suggest.
It’s a lot kinder to my eyes (the old Philips it replaced was starting to give me eyestrain and headaches). It doesn’t get too hot. On my other machines I’ve got an old Dell that puts out so much heat I never need to turn the radiators on and my Cintiq starts to cook the eyeballs after a few hours drawing.
The only negatives I can think of are; 1) it’s a dust magnet and you can’t use any kind of liquid screen cleaner (it’s not glass and smears like mad). 2) Fitting the stand was a bit awkward which led to me scratching the screen (I think I caught it with my watch strap) luckily it’s small and out of the way so I don’t notice it but that really annoyed me at the time. I’d suggest getting someone to hold the screen while you fit the stand, it’s not heavy but more than 2 hands would be an advantage.
I have to be careful with colour calibration and have a mid-range calibrator that I use to keep all my monitors within a certain tolerance. This monitor can keep up with the rest and I trust what it is showing me. I’d buy one again.
on 27 December 2013
I really liked my old Xerox glass-fronted 17" flat screen monitor, but it was awkward using some of my applications with such a small screen width, and so eventually I thought it was time to buy a wider monitor. I noted a particularly glowing comment about this model in PC Advisor magazine, so looked up reviews of it, and found them generally very enthusiastic about the quality for the price - and so I made my purchase.

I'm pleased to report that I too am amazed at the quality. The big contrast range claimed for it is not just a figure in the advertising blurb; it jumped out at me as soon as I had it up and running - together with its great brightness, which makes sense of the very wide tone range. It was so bright, indeed, that, despite my preferring a good bright clear image, I had to give its brightness a 50% reduction - and it was still distinctly brighter than my old monitor, and I thus needed less shielding from bright daylight and sunlight while using it.

Some reviewers have carped a little about this model's resolution, which looks to be more normal for 24" monitors. However, for me the resolution not being as high as it might be for this size is something of an advantage, because that means that everything on-screen looks a little larger than otherwise - so, in particular, normal to small text is easier for me to read than it would have been otherwise. The down-side of that, however, is that the pixels are naturally a little larger, and I can clearly see the pixel pattern on lighter even tones, which is a bit unpleasant, at least for me. I still get a reasonable number of extra pixels, particularly in the width, as compared with my old 1280x1024px monitor, and it gives me just the right amount of 'elbow room' for using my various applications.

I haven't been using the built-in speakers, because I want better sound quality than one could expect from speakers in a computer monitor, so I continue to use my external pair of speakers.

Inevitably there were a couple of annoyances - the initial and quite stressful one being, that no instructions were included, apart from a very bare-bones brief set of notes for just assembling the monitor on its stand, which then finishes by telling you the rather obvious 'connect to computer' and 'connect to the power socket' and 'switch on'. Nothing is said about what you might need to do to set it up once it is switched on!

That did matter, because, upon first switching on, the monitor was on sulkies and just morosely showed a little note that it wasn't connected to the computer. Nothing I could do changed that, and I was then bracing myself to return the monitor as faulty - but I still had a gut feeling that there was something simple that I needed to do in order to make the monitor work. Fortunately I e-mailed BenQ support, and I got a reasonably quick response suggesting that I probably just needed to tell the monitor which type of input to use, and how to go into the Settings and set that, That solved it - the people who designed the monitor just had to have had a mental block and do something silly somewhere, so the monitor does not auto-detect what sort of connection is being used; you have to enter its well concealed and quite fiddly settings in order to set the appropriate input type, and you're not told about that in the supplied 'quick start' instructions. Once I'd set input type to HDMI, all worked fine.

- Well, except that initially I was bewildered at the very poor image sharpness, with horrible edge effects that made text on even mid-tones often very difficult to read and also scrambled all the finer details of photos. I guessed that this would not be a genuine fault in the monitor but instead an extremely stupid default setting - particularly as the edge effects looked like very overdone 'sharpness' correction in photo-editing programs. So, was there a 'sharpness' control in the Settings? - I searched, and by gum, I found it! Yes, when I greatly reduced the 'sharpness' setting, whose higher reaches actually make everything UNsharp because of those edge effects, I got a beautifully clear and sharp display.

So, although I happily give five stars to the monitor, I also give a little slap on the wrist to BenQ for a couple of silly and unnecessary initial annoyances.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 25 June 2014
Firstly out of the box this monitor looks incredible.. Factory settings are good but needed slight tweaking to get colours and brightness just right, this however took no time at all and consisted of dropping the brightness and changing most of the settings to user as some of the presets were just slightly off. All in all it didn't take much time at all.

I was a little apprehensive of getting a 27" monitor as some say it's too big; I sit fairly close to the monitor and have had no issue and found the size perfect..

I primarily game and watch movies on this monitor. Blacks are a deep black and the colours are bright and vivid.. As far as gaming is concerned I play a mixture of FPS, RPG among others and have not noticed any lag or shadowing whatsoever.

Couldn't recommend this monitor enough!
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 19 January 2014
I got three in front of me, perfect for surround gaming and productivity, you'll need a large desk for this set up though...

Nice viewing angles (not perfect but more than good enough)

Inky blacks, great image quality....
on 14 October 2014
Delivered very quickly by amazon. It said 4 weeks delivery but arrived in 8 days.

Included in the box:
Cable tidy
HDMI cable
Display-port cable
VGA Cable
Power cord

Overall look:
Nice piano black finish. Matt display. Only problem being that it is an absolute dust magnate. Minutes after taking out of the box it was covered.
Build quality:
Feels sturdy, but not as solid as the Iiyama prolite series. Buttons are on the reverse and a bit 'plasticky'
Good range of motion, height level and tilt.
When initially connected the purple screen with Benq turns on but the display switches on and off erratically when it can't find an input. I tested it through the display port and took some setting up in order to get the maximum resolution to work.
Viewing angle:
The pictured remained the same when standing, sitting or viewing from the side.
Picture quality:
Sharp, good colour reproduction and very good contrast.
Web pages appear with large amounts of white either side on max resolution.
No ghosting or lag on videos. The eye are feature adjusts the screen to be a bit softer and adjusts the 'blue' to be better in the eyes. Haven't used it long enough to see if it makes any difference.
It's not very intuitive when alternating through input cables. It's hard to set with the correct input. I will have to read the manual to see how to do this with ease. I've never had to read a manual for a monitor before.
Overall: 4 stars as picture quality is very good. Low price for a good IPS display.Knocked a star off as it is not very intuitive to use.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 16 October 2014
Great price/value/delivery. Just one problem. Comes with digital lead but display set to vga by default so cannot see screen with supplied lead. Looks as though it's not working. But you need to see menu on screen in order to change input to hdmi ! Had to borrow a lead to set it up. Took an hour to find relevant documentation.
on 2 August 2015
Edited Review:
So as I originally thought it seems that it can be a bit of a lucky dip as to if you suffer significant backlight bleed or not.

The first monitor I received has significant 'yellowish' bleed in the bottom right corner stretching around 6-8 inches into the screen; this is noticeable on all dark colours. I should add that due to the yellow colour it is partially visible in daylight not just a dark room.

There is a small strip of backlight bleed at the top right however that's was not as noticeable. The rest of the screen had the usual IPS glow which is no issue.
So on to the replacement:

The good news is the replacement has no noticeable backlight bleed. There is clear and “varied” IPS glow but that’s to be expected with the technology and is not detrimental to my enjoyment.

-- I was advised a good test to differentiate between backlight bleed and IPS glow is to look at the monitor in a darkened room on a black screen then move backwards away from the monitor (don’t trip over!), if the bleed/glow does not disappear once you are a few metres away then its backlight bleed. If it does vanish then it’s likely just the IPS glow, though even that can be unbearable for some users. –

Colours are considerably richer then my old TN panel from 2008/9 also a BenQ monitor incidentally, never had any problems with that one and will likely use it as a second monitor.

The controls as others have mentioned take a little getting used to, so far I have managed to turn the monitor off at least once. I would note if you accidently turn the monitor off while using display port then turn it back on you won’t get the image back (the way around this is to unplug the display port cable at one end then plug it back in).

The low blue light options are very useful when you are using the screen for long hours and in potentially a slightly darker environment.
The 2560x1440 resolution is a significant improvement over my previous 1920x1200 (16:10 aspect ratio). I expected the change to a 16:9 aspect ratio might make me feel the screen was more stretched but the size increase from 24 to 27inchs nullifies this.

I have still not had chance to test the monitor with any fast paced pure FPS games but the Witcher 3 and GTA V look fantastic and I have not noticed any problems with input lag etc. Can’t think of much else to add but if anyone has any specific questions I will try to respond to comments.

I would like to commend Amazon for how easy it was to arrange a return and replacement through the website. I got the new one before they even had the defective one back.

I decided to leave my review at 3 stars rather than bump it to 4 as it’s clear that there is a significant issue with quality control; backlight bleed is a defect that should be picked up in the factory and there seem to be a lot of reports of this monitor having it (not just my own case). Since monitors are very well packaged so I find it unlikely it is a result of damage in transit.

(Advanced warning wild speculation follows: I do wonder if BenQ let some slip through hoping people just won’t notice/complain/return them due to the number of reports of the backlight bleed issues.)

So the big question, would I buy one again or recommend it?
In short yes I would, WITH the caveat that backlight bleed seems a widely reported issue and you should NOT to be afraid to ask for a replacement (or two), especially if you like everything else about the monitor.

Is this a critical review? Kind of, mostly due to BenQ’s seemingly poor quality control, I would be interested to see the return rates on this model.
on 13 July 2015
I love this monitor! Purchased it for myself as an early birthday present and have had it a month now. My previous monitor had been a decent (at the time) Asus model, but at nearly 7 years old was showing its age. A year ago I brought a new PC, but didn't include a monitor, so I have a nice shiny Geoforce GTX 780, but had no monitor to do it justice. The difference in colour quality and the viewing angles between this and my older monitor is just amazing. It can be viewed from any sensible angle without any loss of clarity, ideal when watching video with multiple people crowded around. The Physical buttons, once you get to grips with them are nice and easy to use and navigate, but tucked discretely to the right hand side of the monitor. The QHD resolution is fantastic, though depending on your current resolution and preferences, may take some getting used to. I personally needed icons and fonts to be bigger, but thats a few minutes tweak and a one time action. Something I rarely did on a lower resolution monitor that I find myself doing quite a lot now is viewing 2 windows side by side. Previously in lower resolutions, I didn't like this due to having to scroll both windows to see the full content, but now I can view 2 docs with pretty much all the content side by side without having to horizontal scroll. The ability to rotate the screen into portrait mode is not something I need, but I have tried it out of curiosity. Viewing a portrait photo with the screen vertical is pretty amazing, albeit not something I would do often. Actually rotating the screen is extremely easy. As simple as tilting it forwards and raising it to max height so it doesn't hit the desk, then simply turn the screen, and adjust the height and tilt back to your desired position after finished turning. All in all, a fantastic monitor and very happy with it
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 4 July 2014
Bought to work alongside my existing 27" BenQ monitor, this monitor is outstanding value for money. My first BenQ monitor needed a fair bit of tweaking to obtain an acceptible image, but this GW2760HM performed excellently straight out of the box. When I have the time and inclination, I will adjust it so it matches more closely the colours of my other monitor, as I am using them side by side for video editing. The stand offers a very stable mounting and it was good to see a HDMI cable included.
My only slight niggle is the location of the various buttons (power/menu etc) which are on the rear of the lower right hand edge of the monitor's bezel. But otherwise this is a superb bit of kit for the price. I have used BenQ monitors for a number of years and they have always provided faultless service.