1,002
Format: Blu-ray|Change

on 14 May 2016
So following The Avengers and all its success came Iron Man 3. Phase 2 started with a bang as Tony Stark still suffering from the traumatic events of The Avengers take on his greatest challenge to date a mysterious terrorist known as The Mandarin. Without his suit for the majority of the film this is more a Tony Stark film then Iron Man but Robert Downey Jr. Pulls this off so well. It's fun and serious at the same time. The visuals are amazing and you find out how you get from the Mk7 armor in Avengers to the Mk42 in Iron Man 3.
on 30 January 2014
Iron Man 3 (IM3) is a somewhat tricky film to review, as, looked at in isolation, it's not a terrible movie, nor a great one, it's simply okay, but has some smart dialogue some decent action sequences and the odd good twist. However, you can't looked at it in isolation, neither what has gone before in the film franchise, nor, crucially, from the source material.

For the casual viewer what IM3 does in it's limping away from what has gone before on screen is uncomfortable. Yes, the film nods vaguely in the direction of the first two and at The Avengers, but it never truly handles them well. It's really just a cursory glance at what has gone before in order that it can tell it's own story. That would be fine, truly fine, if the story it wanted to tell was worth it. But it isn't the story of IM3 (nerd rage + vengeance = Tony's screwed) is poor. The jokes are okay, but hardly worth the cost by themselves. Indeed, without the brilliance in a can which is Robert Downey Jr. I suspect that it would have been a disaster.

The biggest problem is Shane Black's utter disregard for the source material. The very particular run of comics from which this film was hewn (the run of six following the extremis storyline by Warren Ellis) is one of the best in the whole of Iron Man. It combines excellent writing, fascinating political, philosophical and moral arguments and some quite brilliant action. It presents us with a different type of villain, one who's motivations make a whole lot more sense that that which Guy Pierce was given (Lord above I feel sorry for Pierce in this role). I mean why bother telling the Extremis story if you're going to do this with it? Why on earth do we need to use Extremis at all? Any macguffin would do. So why use Extremis which is so much more than that? It honestly saddens me, as if it had been done properly this would have been head and shoulders the best film in the franchise. Deeply troubling with an horrifically sharp edge, but brilliant.

It would seem though that Shane Black doesn't give a damn about any concept which the audience might find difficult to grasp so he gave us this meh-mess of a movie, with some sharp dialogue and a couple of decent action scenes.

It's sad.
on 19 January 2016
I loved this film, and despite a few personal issues i cannot deny it five stars because it was really good. Now yes the villain was a huge let down but at least Marvel rectified it in a later on one shot and reopened the possibility of an Iron Man 4 to include the real Mandarin villain. Despite this it was yet another beautiful example of a personal journey for Tony, left defenceless for the first time he really has to go out to prove that its not just the suit that makes him special. and albeit hes no Bruce Wayne but he certainly proves his worth. Using his ingenuity, people skills and improvisation Tony traverses and foils a terrorist plot. Like Iron Man 2 this is more of a personal story than an action one, as Tony deals with the fallout of Avengers Assemble and his post traumtic stress disorder this again provides some great development moments. Definitely recommended
on 15 March 2014
Didn't see this one on the big screen, so trawled the online reviews to see if it was worth buying on Blu-ray. Lot of comments from disgruntled fans who wanted to see more of Tony in the armour.

I agree the film was very funny in parts but my major gripe was TOO much Iron man! Towards the end of the film I was getting heartily sick of the number of different versions of his armour popping up left right and centre.

The thrill of watching this sort of fantasy is knowing your hero has one or maybe two ways out of a situation but they are going to have to rely on their 'power' courage and intelligence to get out of danger / save the day, not 1960's Batman TV series style have yet another 'handy gizmo in my utility belt' updated to handy suit of armour in secret location A, ...oh and secret location B...and yet another location C.. and another in my back pocket!! ARRGH!

The suspension of belief that might lead me to feel Tony Stark / Iron man is in real danger of losing his life had gone by halfway through the film.

Loved the laughs, missed the drama, got fed up of the armour.
on 2 February 2014
I always found Iron Man to be one of the most interesting Marvel superheroes.For,contrary to most,his only "superhuman"ability is his intellect.In fact he is an ailing man,surviving only thanks to his "electronics"ingenuity.His "complex"character,his high intellect ,combined with pointed humour,the playboy / business magnate amalgama, provide an excellent background for stories to be built upon.
I fully enjoyed I.M.1 and I.M.2 .No masterpieces,but extremely entertaining movies ,in more than one ways.A singularly contributing factor was the use of excellent actors to portray very interesting villain characters in both movies.
When I saw that in I.M.3 the great actor Ben Kingsley would portray "The Mandarin",arguably the most interesting enemy of Iron Man,I prepared myself for a treat.
I was wrong.I failed to factor in my "calculations"mr.Shane Black.Writer AND director of this movie.
Still,this makes things easier.There is no need to look around much to establish who is responsible for this "disappointment".
Even if I choose to neglect the superficial approach to all characters-no one is portrayed "in depth"-and the tottally unnecessary complexity of the story in some points of the plot,even if I pretend that I did not notice that perhaps a dosen schenes could be drastically shortened,or even deleted,without affecting the movie at all,I cannot tolerate total absurdity.For instance ,Tony Stark actually INVITES the Mandarin to attack him at his Malibu beachhouse without taking the slightest measure to protect his residence from a"military"type attack !!! On top of that he keeps his beloved girlfriend with him (plus his ex girl friend)exposing them to mortal danger!!!He acts like a moron,not like the 'superbrain"he is.Please........
But what is truly unforgivable ,as well as illogical,is the reduction of the dreaded Mandarin character into a clown!!! I cannot even begin to imagine what Ben Kingsley would have produced had he been given the opportunity to portray Mandarin as a villain .A memorable performance,at minimum !
Mr Shane Black is a third rate actor,but purportedly a good scriptwriter.At least if we ignore what he,himself,has admitted,that most of his scenarios were so much altered(by producers and directors) prior to being filmed that he could not recognise them.
Judging by this,his second movie(I never saw the first one),one thing is painfully obvious.He is not a good movie director.Not even a passable one.
Unless,of course,you really like this string of missed opportunities.
I expected more,Much more.
on 28 October 2015
good buy, but out of all my Marvel collection this is one of the worst ones made and didn't like how they portrayed the Mandarin absolutely sticks!!! but apart from that the seller got it to me way before the date expected and the product was in great condition and for a really good price
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 22 January 2015
I loved the first two Iron Man films. In fact I have loved at the time of writing this ever Marvel studios made film, except this one. Iron Man 3 was such a huge disappointment from start to finish I found it difficult to even wonder how it happened though the change of director from Jon Favreau to Shane Black who also had a part in the script as the most likely culprit.

So where to start? At the start. The first song that played was Eiffel 65 - Blue during the opening credits. What happened to AC/DC? The soundtrack for the whole film was pretty bad, even the original score was lacking any memorable moments.

That on it's own couldn't truly ruin the film but sadly it's not the only problem this movie has. The storyline follows on from the events of Marvels Avengers with Tony Stark (Robert Downey Jr) being rather traumatized at the events, struggling to sleep building dozens of new Iron Man suits. During all this a terrorist known as the Mandarin (Ben Kingsley) rises making threats at Stark.

The story makes a mockery of the beloved Iron Man villain the Mandarin in what, I assume, Shane Black thought was a clever way and while I praise Ben Kingsley's performance in the role I found it insulting and pointless. On the other half they integrate the Extremis storyline from the comics as well as Tony Stark's ability to remote control suits from his armoury but what should have been a pretty thunderous finale simply turned into a dull thud when his suits were as useful as paper dolls. There were special effects everywhere at the end but it felt so hollow.

So much of the film was also surprisingly slow. The idea of the film was to focus on the character of Stark rather than Iron Man but I feel they forgot Stark is Iron Man. In both Iron Man 1 & 2 they manage to develop both Stark and the other characters without bogging it down yet the reverse is true here, I feel they tried too hard and they lost the charm the first film had, even Robert Downey Jr could only carry it so far.

All in all I really didn't like it, I would go so far to say I hated it in fact, I was bored in fact for most of it. As a non comic book fan or casual movie goer I can see how people may enjoy it but to me it's just a blemish on Marvel's record.

Not recommended.

+ Robert Downey Jr and Ben Kinsley are superb.

- Music is terrible.
- Made a mockery of the Mandarin for fans.
- Wasted the Extremis storyline.
- Finale went out with a pop, not a bang.
- Felt slow.
on 16 July 2015
Of all the Avengers characters I must say that on his own Iron Man is not so good. Thor is an example of a character who works alone. But nevertheless it is a good enough story and enough fun to warrant a purchase, especially to add to my collection of Iron Man films.
on 17 July 2015
What an awful film! Mindless action scenes, lead characters posing for most of the film. I thought I was watching Transformers. I appreciate 12 year olds and under will enjoy this but how did this get approved is beyond me. Marvel it ain't!
on 30 October 2015
This movie had some new ideas which were interesting but also brought the movie down.

1. After fighting Thor and those giant alien things in the 1st Avengers, his suit in this shouldn't have smashed to pieces when hit by a truck. It was kinda funny but also stupid. I believe in the comics he's called the invincible Iron Man, but in this movie he is completely destructible.

2. Ben Kingsley plays the villain extremely well and it's funny to hear him with a British accent, but unfortunately it was also annoying to find out he was only hired by Guy Pierce' character (I don't remember his name) to pretend to be the enemy. Kingsley was better than Pierce which is partly why the twist was very sad.

3. In the trailer you got to see a load of Iron Man suits which were helping Tony remotely, but they appear only at the end and get destroyed right after. A pretty big waste of time building them in the first place then.

4. Tony gives the villain his home address and then is surprised when the hunchmen show up and destroy it. Apparently Tony doesn't have good enough security to prevent this. Sure it made for a really cool action sequence but it was still very stupid.

This for me is one of the weakest in the Marvel series so far. I'm guessing a few others picked up on what I did, and I wanted to really like this movie, but instead it turned out to be one of those movies which I only watch to keep being filled in with overall character/story arc progress. I may not be a fan of the Tony Stark or Iron Man character but that's not the point. I was told this movie is better than the Avengers.........all I can say is it could have been.
Iron Man 1 is still better.