Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
If racing cars around a track trying to drive them to destruction sounds like fun, that's because with this toy, quite simply, it is. This is a 1:32 scale Scalextric set with a twist; you build and then destroy the cars, which takes racing to a whole new dimension.

In the (satisfyingly large) box you get a fair amount of track, two cars, as well as two hand power throttles and a power supply. Set up is fairly simple, each car, which is can be customised by the addition of stickers that are also provided, can be built in different ways, with a choice of bonnets and backs - bits can be left on or off and each driver can choose the configuration of their car. The pieces attach by a familiar looking stud system that has more than a nod to Lego, and is indeed compatible with said bricks. This, it turns out, makes for hours of fun as well as lots of interesting experimentation - I can report that a very tall tower car is not going to make it from concept car to the road any time soon, and a Santa lego minifigure has had the ride of his life! The supplied little articulated driver that comes with each car has more than a passing resemblance to a well known car show white helmeted driver: all adding to the fun.

Since we got this toy we've spent hours playing with it and testing it, literally, to destruction and a quick rebuild beyond. Everything is still working really well, and I'm sure we will have many more hours fun with it. The track is a little hard to put together, and requires adult input, and doesn't seem to be quite as well made as the track of my youth, however you can buy extra pieces and the a satisfying crossover and some straights with a wiggle which allow cars to come into close contact, are included which makes for lots of fun. I think there are a fair amount of track for the price.

It's a shame there is no counter in this set, but as a starter set it really is plug in and go, and I think that most children are going to love it - my kids aged 7 and 10 certainly do! The throttles are relatively easy to use, and I think a 4 year old would manage it, as suggested by the manufacturer, although play is likely to need some supervision. It's more tricky to add the parts to the car, they come off very easy - deliberately so I would imagine, but they can be quite frustrating and our red car seems to have roof fitting issues. The cars are easy to maintain with a quick change system for those iconic scaletrix braids, this is twenty-first century racing with all the attraction of the original.

Minor niggles aside I would totally recommend this toy, and indeed have done to several of my friends. It's pure unadulterated fun in a box!
on 28 November 2013
This is my favourite Scalextric - the fun of smashing the cars against each other is just awesome.
For anyone who has more Lego, they can build more complex cars than those present in this set.

Would highly recommend anyone else who wants to smash some cars and put them back together
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I received this free through the Amazon Vine review programme.

This had been one of my most highly prized review freebies - because it seemed so perfectly adapted to my young nephew. He loves building things. He loves Lego. He loves cars. He loves playing with his dad, who has been doing the midweek living in the City and commuting back home to the family at the weekend bit for the last several months after his job changed.

The principles involved in this set are great: the usual Scalextric set, combined with a race to destruction.

The practice is less so.

I query the 4+ age rating on this set. It doesn't seem to be purely a safety rating, but rather a recommendation in relation to the ideal user age.

In my view, 4 is too young. I've worked with children aged from 3 months to 11 years) part-time/holidays/volunteering for coming up for 20 years. In my view 6-7 is a more realistic age range as a start-age recommendation for this set. The pieces are fiddly and fall apart far too easily for younger users. My 4 year old nephew, who is quite dexterous, gentle and has been taught to treat his toys with respect found it really upsetting that 'his' car would just fall apart in his hands. He can build quite happily with Lego - which he loves - and didn't understand why this wasn't staying together for him.

My adult brothers, however, found playing with this highly amusing - and derived great satisfaction out of reducing one another's vehicles to pieces.
VINE VOICEon 16 January 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I gave this to my four and a half year old son for Christmas 2013 and it was a massive hit.

The track is quite a simple figure of eight. What makes it interesting is that where the tracks cross over each other, instead of a bridge there is an intersection. This is complemented by two stretches where the pair of metal tracks that the cars run on chicane together so there is no longer enough width for them to run side by side.

And this is the simple brilliance of the track. As well as getting a great basic set, this is a set where everything is *designed* for crashes. I'm a pretty strict Dad who has been the main person at home with George and spent considerable time and energy trying to minimise the games involving crashing and cars flying across rooms - so you can imagine what a treat this was for him to suddenly find Dad not only approving but joining in!

But I digress. The cars themselves are brilliant. They have a basic Scaletrix chassis with the pickups, wheels and drive mechanism. But, on top of this, you have a variety of Lego parts which you can use to build up the car itself and a tiny "mini Stig" driver in white with a white helmet to put in the car you build. Options are not excessive but you can end up with a couple of varieties of pretty cool low slung hot rod type efforts which you decorate with the stickers provide.

The track is easy to assemble and impressive large and the cars themselves are perfectly balanced. At 90% of throttle they hurtle securely around the corners whilst at 95-100% they fly off. I was impressed at how quickly George (and, indeed, his younger cousin) got the idea of holding the trigger just below "maximum safe speed" and then tweaking it up to watch the cars leave the track.

But the real fun is in the crashes, you aren't going to be having marathon 30 lap endurance races with this brand of Scalextric. My son also quickly mastered "lying in wait" just before the crossing point, with perfect timing to smash my car off the track. I repaid him with the slightly more subtle entry to the chicane just behind your opponent to nudge them into the carpet and zoom off perhaps minus a wing. Really well implemented and really brings a smile to the face.

The cars are perfect for the task at hand. Each piece of Lego is as solid as you'd expect and they fit together not too firmly so that they really fly apart on impact or just lose a piece of two following a glancing blow. Neither car was any the worse for wear after several hours of intensive play.

But, this does bring me to the only caveat, it does start to get a bit tiresome reassembling the red and the purple cars so that they can be crashed into pieces in seconds, so that Daddy can reassemble the cars...we quickly got to a "next player builds their own car before they start" rule...I very much recommend the same.

In summary, a highly recommended Scalextric set for younger children (but not so young the prospect of driving at a speed that keeps you flying off at every corner or so young that the concept of rebuilding your own car will be lost ;-) )...this will provide years of fun for George (and, indeed, for Daddy).
on 26 January 2014
Having not played with scalextric for 20yrs and having read the reviews I was delighted to get this in Black Friday for £49! By NYE i wasn't so smug. Cars don't stay fixed long enough to wait until they crash to fall apart. Really fiddly to build, tended to use them unbuilt or partially built as was just easier. Kids found this quite frustrating. After 2 x of building and packing away the track the track sections warped thus creating a bumpy track - this led to cars falling off more and contacts wearing out faster. When it came out the box the first time it was awesome, but very quickly the above made it an unplayable large white elephant. Sigh. Returned.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I had Scalextric when I was small (I'm to near to 50 now) and purchased the Micro Scalextric G1075 My First Scalextric Set 1 1:64 Scale Race Set for my lad a few years ago when he was probably 4 or 5, he could't work out how to control the car and it ended up not being used. He is now 10 and I wanted him to have another scalextric so we could both enjoy it together, the Demolition Derby ticked all the boxes, he likes building things, and like most lads he loves destroying things, especially cars.

First impression are very positive, the cars are really well detailed and easy to pop together, there a good size rather than being ting parts to pop together.

There isn't loads of track which for me is a good thing as I'm normally left to put things away and to much track would take a while.

The noise my lad made when they first smashed in to each over was obviously his approval, I thought he was going to wet himself, the windows rattled he was so loud, he loves the fact that there is some real damage.

Controlling the cars is better than the first Scalextric we had, maybe because he is older but we really had fun racing with me trying to avoid being annihilated by my lad each time.

The thing me and my lad like about the cars is you can use lego bits to create your own daft car or what ever you want, we had a Lone ranger game where we put the little Lego figures on the base and tried to see how many we could knock off, I've also used the Mega Bloks Need for Speed Porsche Buildable Turbo Wheel Launchercars to create a car which looked pretty good.

I'm really pleased with this, I so wanted him to enjoy what I so enjoyed as a lad, I'm not sure If there will be other cars that you can add to this series but it would be good to see a truck or bus something along those lines.

A big five star recommendation from me and my lad
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 11 February 2014
I initially though this was a quality product as the track was solid and easy to put together. The idea of crashing the cars and bits falling off sounds fun but rebuilding the third or fourth time is a bit less appealing. My 6 year old just left the pieces off after a few times. As the name and design implies, they are meant to have the occasional crash. But on the second time we had the set out one of the cars stopped working, not even after a crash. Amazon made the exchange easy. The second set had the same issue within minutes, again no big crash, just stops working. Checked the contacts, checked the controller, checked on the other track (the other car worked fine on both tracks/controllers) but no, the car just stopped. Full refund given by Amazon and an easy return. Disappointing product.
Will look for another race set to try.
on 23 July 2014
This is the best scalextric ever, my 6 and 47 year old love it to pieces and their faces when a crash is imminent is and should be a picture. Best birthday pressie ever (for the 6 year old) they build all sorts of crazy Lego vehicles to race around, it really is fun for the racers and the spectators
on 9 January 2014
This was a no-brainer purchase for our 6-year old son for Christmas. I loved Scalextric as a boy so this was a chance to introduce him to slot car racing and for me to get back into it. Our experience on Christmas Day was awful - we opened the set, built it...and nothing worked. We checked the building instructions to make sure I hadn't overlooked anything, but no, it was dead. After some fiddling of cables and tweaking of braids on the bottom of the cars, one worked intermittently but then wisps of smoke starting to appear from the hand-controller. At this point we packed it up and waited a couple of days to speak to the Scalextric Customer Service people. After some really basic checks, they confirmed our set was most definitely faulty.

At this point you'd think I'd give this review a poor rating but actually I was very impressed with Amazon's online exchange process. We filled in the forms, a replacement set was dispatched and the faulty unit collected (at no cost) the next day. The new set arrived quickly and worked perfectly. That's where the fun began.

The track is easy to assemble and cars are cool. They are fairly easy to build but definitely require a bit of adult help to get some of the parts to fit properly. When you race you quickly start to develop tactics and engineer full-on collisions on the crossover section as that's where the most spectacular crashes occur. My 6-year old and I spent the whole afternoon racing. We're also big LEGO fans and the studs on the car bases are compatible with regular LEGO bricks, so it wasn't long before we had our LEGO Lone Ranger and Tonto on their horses on the base base of the cars, charging around the track. We also built some custom cars to race.

We also purchased the Ultimate Track Extension Pack and I would definitely recommend this as a worthwhile upgrade to the basic circuit included in the Demolition Derby set. It gives you plenty more opportunities to side-swipe your opponent for some proper carnage. My only fear is that when we get some more cars that are not meant to be destroyed, we'll have to take a lot more care when racing. We'll cross that bridge when we come to it...
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I chose this set for my nine year old grandson to play with on visits. It seemed a novel twist on the well known and much loved Scalextric theme - to be able to build your own car and give it a taste of stock car racing as demolition derby might be more familiarly known here.

What fun to be able to build the car in so many different ways with loadsaLego to hand the possibilities are endless. This really added to the attraction as mindlessly zooming cars around tracks does begin to pall after a while and input from the user makes it more challenging and satisfying. Hands on building occupation, anything other than a screen scores for this granny!

On setting up, with the help of a team of keen, if already grown up, chaps it was immediately found that the blue car would not work. The track was fine, the red car roared around happily but the blue car was dead as a door knob. So we couldn't immediately test the demolition side of the set. It was already demolished, internally. We opened it up with a small magnetic screw driver and there found a loose, un soldered wire. A friend with a soldering iron kindly put it right. How about buying a soldering iron of you own to have to hand?Draper 71415 Soldering Iron Kit

Other types of cars could be used although the track has a built in meeting point and a crossover junction both designed to cause a crash.

I could see it will be great fun, it's so easy to assemble and quick to get going. The lead requires an extension to get it to a nearby plug, it is too short. Masterplug 4 Gang Extension Lead 5 Metre, 13 Amp, White

So do take a lesson from our briefly disappointing experience, and check it all out before gifting it to an excited child. Our grandsons loved it and are busy building new car bodies to destroy.

I emailed Scalextric about the faulty car and had a quick response. A friendly phone call, and then replacement car bodies arrived speedily. Amazon would also of course replace any faulty item purchased, if you can't repair it easily.