Sharkoon Skiller Keyboard
Colour Name: SkillerChange
Price:£17.99+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on 27 August 2013
I've recently received my Sharkoon Skiller and must say I'm very impressed with it so far.

It's quite a bulky job, so ensure you have plenty of desk space to acommodate it, but its size is down to the wrist-support at the bottom of it, the flanges at the side housing 10 of the multimedia/browser buttons & the extended top housing the other 10 (ranging from My Computer, email, calculator etc., to the very handy Sleep, Wake & Power Off buttons. The overall design concept has clearly been dreamt up by a Klingon, with its angular edges & scary logos, but this is no bad thing. Depending on how you feel about Klingons of course.

The Power Off key shuts down your pc in one fell swoop, but bear in mind that the keyboard has a sinister 'Klingon-in-Ibiza Tattoo'-style blue, led-lit, Sharkoon logo at the bottom, which remains lit on powering down the pc, as the keyboard is USB and your USB ports remain 'hot', ie powered up all the time unless you unplug the whole pc. This logo is bright enough to semi-light a room, so could be annoying if your pc's in a bedroom.

The supplied blue rubberised gaming replacement WASD & arrow keys are easy to swap for the standard ones, using the key removal tool supplied and are very useful for FPS/strategy games, but I find that they're a bit odd when simply typing, being larger and the letters non-central on the keys.

The keys are not backlit, but what would you expect at this price point?

The underside front of the keyboard has rubber pads, which effectively stop it sliding about on your desk when you're running away from aliens, dodging shells from a Tiger tank or frenziedly constructing formulas in Excel: so much better than the cheap plastic ones normally associated with low-price keyboards.

The key action is as positive as any rubber-dome/membrane keyboard & you'd have to pay a great deal more for a mechanical keyboard, all the key functions, including the 20 multimedia keys are automatically recognised & set up by Windows (I have Win 7), so it's plug & play out of the box. However, the supplied mini-DVD installs a very slick-looking keyboard reconfiguring utility, which allows the remapping of every key, saved as profiles associated with an app, over 3 layers,(max 20 profiles) which are automatically called up when you open the associated app, be it a game, Photoshop, Word, Excel, AutoCad & so on. You don't have to use it, but more advanced computer geeks will find it very handy. It looks the business, too! Very professionally designed & written.

Overall, the appearance of this product, for a £13.99 keyboard, vastly belies its price, but I've knocked off one star for the fact that the main body (not the keys) is made of shiny plastic (a real dust & fingerprint magnet) the unswitchoffable bright led logo & the truncated left shift & backspace keys. I always use the left shift key, being right-handed & a rubbish typist, & like a big backspace as I make so many typos. but aesthetically, this keyboard will lift any desk top with its impressive slick & quirky design, & you can always invest in a rag to wipe away the fingerprints now & again & a handy wodge of Blu Tac to cover up the logo if it bothers you, can't you?

Recommended. It's design is a mix of the eminently useful and the surreal. I love it.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 27 February 2013
I was using a flashy wireless Microsoft keyboard that was very badly designed (tiny shift key in the wrong place), then went back to a standard Dell keyboard. This new keyboard is a revelation, it has useful pre-programmed keys that actually work well. It feels good with all the keys being exactly where you expect them to be (I'm a touch typist so this is important. If I have one small niggle it is the backspace(delete) key being a bit too small. All in all a good keyboard, make sure you get the QWERTY version as Amazon also sell the German QWERTZ keyboard.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 22 November 2013
It's one of those things that are low in price but performs really well, and as I mentioned in previous reviews, have a good price to performance ratio. This is what I look for when looking at things to buy.

It's got a nice bit of wrist support at the bottom, a glowing blue Sharkoon Skiller logo, soft easy to press keys that don't get stuck like cheaper keyboards do...
I've not got much bad to say about it. The macros set up nicely and the multimedia keys work well as well. Just be careful not to accidentally hit that 'Power' or 'Sleep' button on the upper right of the keyboard. It comes with Flat Blue Rubber keys which you can use for easy gaming with familiar keys (W A S D Up Down Left Right), because you don't want to miss pressing the right key all because your hand moved away and lost your place on the keyboard. They are nicely sized as well, it helps.

It's probably not the best gaming keyboard, though I've not used any gaming keyboards beyond this, but it is definitely the best keyboard I've ever used. The software can be a bit buggy at times, but you should be able to figure it out in no time at all.
on 28 August 2013
I feel the need to write a fairly detailed review of this keyboard as i don't think there is one that does it justice.
this keyboard uses membrane keys not mechanical switches. this isn't a problem for me as i don't mind either way and they keys have a nice feel to them anyway. in the box you get the keyboard, a baggy with blue rubberised alternate W,A,S and D keys as well as alternate arrow keys and a key puller.
I bought this board for a gaming PC I am building but as it inst finished yet I'm using it on my acer aspire laptop. the keyboard worked straight out of the box as soon as i plugged it in and the drivers had installed
there is a micro disc included which is pretty odd but as far as i can tell it is completely superfluous.

my one complaint with this board is the half sized backspace key, but even having only typed this review on it since i bought it i can already fell myself getting used to it. my personal favorite feature on this board is the three little hot key arrays on the left right and top of the board these allow instant access to "my computer" "calculator" and file search. these also allow you to open up and play next and previous songs on itunes as well as the obligatory play/pause button. there are also keys that take you home in your browser and allow you to skip backwards and forwards between sites.
all in all i am delighted with this board and would recommend it to anyone looking for a cheap, well built , nice looking gaming keyboard.
on 19 April 2013
Amazing keyboard AAA+ would currently recommend this keyboard its a nice size it dose everything a gaming keyboard is used for so go for it and buy buy buy :)
on 3 October 2013
I've had this keyboard for six months and i use it almost every day for gaming. I love it so much and for the price it would have been decent if it had just lasted four! But no it's still going strong!
on 9 September 2014
I just got this keyboard today and I have to say I'm very impressed with it. It's a fantastic keyboard for the price. I love how it comes with coloured gaming keys (WASD and up, down, left and right) which are blue and ridged as opposed to black like the other keys. They don't hinder your typing either even though they're a little bit bigger than all the other keys. The keyboard itself is larger than most standard keyboards but if your standard keyboard fits on the desk and still gives room for your mouse pad then you shouldn't have any problems (couple of extra inches needed I guess).

The keyboard itself is quite heavy and seems to be solidly built. There's a blue symbol on the front of the keyboard (underneath the right alt key), it's a blue dragon and it's lit up. It's pretty cool but gets annoying if you're playing in the dark as it's very bright and distracts you from the game. I might put some black tape over that or something. Oh and also it has loads of extra buttons on the top, left and right that take you straight to my computer, documents, downloads, email, search, stuff like that. It also has those little clip thingies underneath at the back if you're one of those type of people that likes to elevate the keyboard a little bit and have it at an angle while you play/type.

Literally the only negative thing I can think to say about this keyboard is the fact that the backspace key is small - the same size as one of the letter keys as opposed to the bigger size it is on most keyboards. It'll take me a little while to get used to that. Apart from that one tiny thing this keyboard is awesome for such a small price, probably one of the best budget gaming keyboards out there.
on 7 November 2013
Read some reviews on this and saw people had trouble with the gaming keys and said its not well made etc.
I seriously dunno what some people do maybe stomp on the keyboard with their feet to break it I dunno but its very well made.
Gaming keys work fine they give you a little tool to pull the keys out and to grab the gaming keys and slot them in place.
I play a lot of MMORPG's such as Aion and Final Fantasy 14 where I need quick reaction time this keyboard has done me proud
It is a very wide keyboard though much larger than your standard one which is expected.
The awesome buttons on the side is good for gamers to pause music while still in game to watch cutscenes and you can also change tracks aswell.
And you can even turn your PC off and sleep it from the keyboard every lazy gamers dream :D

Another useful aspect of this is the software driver you can install with it. This software is AMAZING.
You can do so much with it - You can make your own keyboard setup it has 3 different custom keyboard layouts you can use.

E.g. Layer 1 - Gaming setup - Layer 2 - Browsing setup and Layer 3 - Standard setup.

So essentially you have three keyboards in one it is so useful with gaming its crazy. You can switch layers whenever you want and can even make a hotkey to switch between layers.
You can assign macros to each whatever key you want and assign commands to any key you want. You can even launch programs from a key you have assigned.

Very Happy with the product gets a 5/5 from me! ^_^
on 14 October 2013
I bought this looking for a better keyboard than the simple Dell one I've used for a couple of years, and this one seemed like a nice, cheap option.

I used it for a few hours, and noticed my typing was definitely worse than before, and the shift key was not overly responsive.

It's likely this could only be with my product, but I thought I'd state this in case you don't want to risk it. It might be ok if you don't already have a decent keyboard.
on 5 April 2014
To get right to the point I didn't buy this keyboard because "oooo preety blue lights" I'm just in a pinch and needed a replacement. This keyboard how ever isn't for me, its keys are generally un-responsive, the 2 biggest offenders being the shift and the escape key and the longer I used this thing the more irritating it got.
I honestly feel all has been piled into making it look more "gamey" than what has been throw into it internally. I could of just been unlucky but just generally this isn't the type of keyboard for me, its not comfy to use or anything I want from it. For a cheap buy its going right back.