Format: HardcoverVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
These are four reasons why I found this book interesting.
The fifth reason would be that it is written by two brothers who tell from their own view in alternative chapters, how their lives began in India, how they both chose medicine and both emigrated to America, where each of them has become very successful in different ways.

I had read some of Deepak Chopra's books and thought it would be interesting to know more about him, in fact in this book I found his younger brother Sanjiv just as interesting. Both have followed in their father's footsteps by becoming doctors but they are clearly quite different kinds of people.

Deepak has become famous for his deep beliefs in the mind/body connection and his own way of combining modern science with the ancient beliefs of India, and the Indian healing methods of Ayurvedic practices.

Sanjiv is a professor of medicine and faculty dean at Harvard Medical School.
What makes this book so interesting is the viewpoint of India by two men who grew up there but are now very Westernised. You are getting both points of reference, the Eastern and the Western at the same time. This is rare if not unique.
Also their experience of emigrating to America and building their lives there. Neither set out with the intention to not return to India.
The brothers have always been close and the book has some wonderful stories of their childhood. Some times the same story from each of them giving the reader a feeling of getting to them both far more than a regular memoir or biography would.

After a while you can tell who wrote which chapter just by their differing personality showing in their writing styles.
I really liked Sanjiv's way of direct and simple communication.
Deepak is somehow more circular and slippery even. I remembered that I could never really take to his philosophy though, as if somehow the core of it remained elusive. In this book I found out that both the brothers were deeply into TM mediation.

This is a fascinating book and contains a lot of information on many topics. It is well written by both brothers and is definitely a book I will reread.
Very definitely recommended read.
VINE VOICEon 30 July 2013
Format: HardcoverVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I was very interested in this book given I have read some of Deepaks work and am interested in the mind body spirit thing.
This is an autobiograpy written by Deepak and his brother Sanjiv, a liver doctor.
Alternative chapters are written about there upbringing in India and how they came to USA and their medical career.

I found the book well written and interesting but I have to say for me it could not be above 3 stars purely because it was way more medical than had expected or hoped, not my thing for reading about and the book started on a very moving but very graphic tummy turning event that put me off the book soon as I started reading.

I found it hard to remember which of the brothers I was reading about as the writing style to me was very similar -hearing about their children helped to identify whose chapter it was and we did get to know the family a little.
I also liked to hear Sanjivs views on Deepak and how he is.

If your tummy is stronger than mine and you like a medical read, then this is a thoughtful, interesting book.
Format: HardcoverVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I certainly enjoyed reading this book. I don't usually read biographies but I like Deepak's other writing and his stance on mind-body, so I was interested enough to choose this.

It charts the two brothers journey from India to America, with a vast amount of personal detail. It made me see a side of the Chopra's I hadn't known about before. It tells us their inner thinking, their likes and dislikes and the reasons they made the choices that they did.

I did feel as I was reading it, that it was as if they wanted to chart 'their' version of their 'story' before anyone else did, and before they get too old or infirm to do it themselves....

The book is split into chapters, one from each brother.

Sanjiv the younger brother writes in true Virgo-style (I'm an astrologer so this remark is only for people that use astrology...) in a clear linear fashion, rarely deviating from what seems to be an honest account of events. He writes without making any criticisms and is helpful and thankful for the new life that America offered him.

Deepak writes in a much stranger way. He leaps about time-wise (in true Pisces Ascendant style, even though he's a Libra), adds in lots of his philosophies, explains why he made drastic life-changes and about turns...going from being a 'regular' doctor to one involved in the mind, transcendental meditation, healthy life-styles by the time I got to the end of the book, I felt as if I knew the pair of them quite well.

They both come from privileged backgrounds, this is not a rag-to-riches story, more a riches to extra riches tale but you learn how much hard work they have put into their lives to be where they are now.

I don't live in the USA so I can't comment about their experience of American life, but I can say this is an enjoyable read, one I wanted to get to the end of and is well thought out.
on 23 June 2013
I have been a fan of Deepak Chopra for around fifteen years, have seen him speak several times and have read many of his books. This one is a fascinating insight into how his work evolved and reveals a committed physician and a very human man. I didn't know much about his brother prior to reading this book, but he also comes across in the same light. They both give a great deal of credit to their parents and speak of their loving extended family. Celebrity biographies hold no interest for me generally, but these two sensitive, caring brothers have much wisdom to impart to us all.
VINE VOICEon 6 November 2013
Format: HardcoverVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I'm a great fan of Deepak Chopra - his book "How To Know God" is one of my favourites, so it was very interesting to read his life story, written in alternate chapters with his younger brother Sanjiv who is a consultant at one of the major East Coast hospitals. Both men trained in medicine,following in their cardiologist 0fathers' footsteps, with Deepak turning more to holistic medicine and ayurveda midway through his career. The book had chapter title photos of Deepak's celebrity clients, Michael Jackson and Madonna, but they were barely mentioned in the text and that would have been interesting. I think the planned focus was less on the celebrity of either of the brothers, and more on the opportunities offered to these two men from India who arrived in the US when they were just through medical training, and how they have both had the opportunity to rise to the top of their careers in America. I found it an interesting read and would recommend it to anyone who is interested in knowing more about Deepak and his life and family.
Format: HardcoverVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Two brothers train in medicine in India, then carve out careers in America. This is an account of how they achieved so much. They say 'we wanted to share our journey with everyone who is building a self in the same complex and often mysterious way'.

The book is well written, and not hampered by sensationalism or false modesty. They state 'by our degrees, Amita and I were doctors - but by our training and our passion, we would become very good doctors'...'the Chopra brothers coulid have taken their brains and their background to another country and succeeded. What I celebrate is that in America you can climb the ladder of opportunity or kick it out from under you and still succeed beyond your wildest dreams'.

The brothers enjoyed working on this joint memoire and describe it as a 'remarkably delightful project'.

VINE VOICEon 23 March 2014
Format: HardcoverVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I have long admired Deepak Chopra who as something of an authority on spiritual development has led many to find inspiration and peace of mind in their everday lives. I was therefore keenly interested to read this book that was co-authored by Deepak and his brother Sanjiv, an autobiographical account of their quite different lives, Sanjiv the eminent Harvard Professor of Medicine and Deepak the authority on Eastern Medicine and self-help. They have tackled their joint task well interchanging freely between each others shared story and that of their individual paths divided by their differing aspirations. Both have led in some ways quietly remarkable lives but of greatest note is the gentle feeling of warmth that somehow pervades the story and conveys an attitude of compassionate human feeling on the part of both men for their fellow human beings.
on 31 May 2013
Having trained as an orthodox doctor and then after being a full time GP for thirty years changed to a medical herbalist and experiencing the bias towards male doctors this book was a compelling read
on 28 November 2013
I had heard of Deepak Chopra, even though I hadn't read any of his books and I thought this would help me decide if I liked his personality and his style of writing and whether it would be worth me reading more of his work. I really enjoyed the history of the two brothers and their very different life journeys and career paths but most of all I enjoyed the Indian aspects of the book. It was really enjoyable learning so much about the way of life in India and the amazing changes which took place in their lives when they moved to America. I also learned a great deal about how prejudice can affect lives and careers. Overall I found it very interesting and I enjoyed reading it.
on 22 October 2014
A not too innocent duo of the famous Chopra brothers, famous both as writers and as high calibre specialised doctors.
It reflects a very clanic reading of personal and familial history, not lacking of charm though. A lot of nostalgia is infused which makes the whole exercise of introversion more palatable and digestible.
Apart from the family history and the Dharma, widely expounded as their career success in the western hemisphere, one is rewarded with numerous and interesting insights in Hinduism and Indian complex society. I had pleasure reading those chapters.
All this for that ? We are left without a conclusion of general interest though.