Size: 5 L|Change

on 22 August 2014
Ordered a tub of these mealworms to feed the birds (and now the hedgehog who seems to woof back the little pile I leave out at night and then leave his calling card around the garden) . The birds obviously love them.

They're fine in terms of what they are and the delivery and packaging was fine. They cost thirteen pounds and sixty pence for five litres which I thought was better than the nine pounds for one kilogram which I paid from a local retailer. For nine pounds I get one kilogram in a sellophane pack - and here for thirteen pounds and sixty pence I get a sturdy five litre plastic tub. I mistakenly thought five litres would be more than one kilogram but I was wrong. It turns out that the five litre tub gives you exactly one kilogram of worms...just the same as I buy locally but I'm paying 34% more from Amazon. Obviously the postage and the plastic tub has to be paid for and if you don't happen to have a local retailer that only charges nine pounds for the same thing then it's OK. But, regrettably, on this occasion I didn't do too well and will return to my local place for further stocks.
33 comments| 65 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 25 March 2015
I ordered these dried mealworms by mistake thinking they were live (not quite senile yet but getting that way). I have had dried worms before but the birds showed little interest in them so I wondered what on earth I'd do with a 3L tub. My back garden in almost central London is not large but I try and cater for every birdy taste so have a number of regular visitors. My next mistake was knocking the tub over out my back door. Swept most of the worms up and put them back in the tub but the rest I scattered over a flower basket from last year perched on a chimney pot thinking if nothing else they would rot into the soil. The next thing I noticed was a jay on the basket enthusiastically pecking away at the worms, then another jay and, by turn, 4 starlings and 2 blackbirds. And they have been constant visitors. So a success after all. I just hope they don't get fed up with them before the tub is finished. Better still, the feral pigeons with which I am plagued, don't like them.
 Although I can’t personally vouch for the taste, texture and enjoyability of these dried mealworms our hedgehog, Humphrey, absolutely loves them. After being abandoned prematurely by his mum during our first frost, he was found wandering around the garden, weighing only 300g and too small to survive winter hibernation, so we had to help him gain weight.

Dried mealworms aren’t cheap and I looked at many sources online, local pet shops and supermarkets before eventually choosing these as offering probably the best value for money. As soon as they arrived and I topped up Humphrey’s food bowl, I could see him watching intently and once I’d moved away he crawled out and demolished the lot so they’re clearly delicious. We supplement his diet with poultry-based kitten food, suet sprinkles and a few other natural hedgehoggy nibbles but it’s always the dried mealworms which he tucks into first (see video).

My squeamish side was also pleased they were packed into a tub rather than a packet as used previously. I noticed that when in a flexible packet the mealworms can appear to ‘move’ which was a little alarming at first until common sense took over and logic told me dried mealworms couldn’t possibly be alive. That said, I still serve them from the plastic tub via a spoon...

Humphrey the hedgehog and I would very highly recommend these to anyone looking to feed wild birds or hedgehogs over the winter.
44 comments| 12 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 28 March 2014
We have seen loads more birds since putting these mealworms out. We have a pair of robins that take turns in feeding and are nesting close by. We also have a blue tit family that I think were here last year .Several blackbirds call to and try to feed off mealy feeders and keeps falling off!! They try again time and again until they get some. We also have had a woodpecker and thrush, so all in all worth buying especially when they are on offer.
on 11 December 2013
My only moan,is the driver must have squashed the pot in the lorry,every mealworm was loose at the bottom of cardboard box :o( Perhaps,fragile labels on box,might be the answer ? I have ordered other pots,that arrived in excellent condition,so dont be put off. Buying in bulk,saves money,helps many more birds :o)
on 11 May 2014
My first tub lasted less than a week because we made the mistake of refilling the feeder as soon as it emptied! Now the robins come to the kitchen window to get us to put out more...we also have sparrows, starlings, blue tits, blackbirds, thrushes, pigeons and magpies now vying with the robins for the worms! Much cheaper than the local shops and garden centres and easy to store too...
on 15 June 2015
Birds love Mealworms?? You betcha, they go crazy over them and will devour them at a (sometimes) alarming rate.

Suppliers are well aware of this, and many retail outlets will have "tubs" at around the price here. The problem is it will get horrendously expensive as the little beasts devour them like there is no tomorrow (!). Its far far better to buy in Bulk, its massively cheaper, and works out at around a tenth of the cost overall depending how you play the numbers game.

It does mean a cash hit up front, but its well, well worth it. I now use the supplier and Bulk Buy below. I cant stress enough how important for your wallet it is to buy these Mealworms in Bulk, its VASTLY cheaper .......

You'll need a storage Bin(s) to keep the Bulk buy fresh. I use the one below, a good price, does the job well

If you don't fancy that have a peak at the extensive storage bin list Amazon has.
on 28 May 2014
reasonably priced
good quality
birds love them
quick delivery
resealable container

I added about 1/3 (1 Litre) to 10 kg wild bird food mix, which gave a balanced overall mix.
the rest I feed on their own, either scattered in the garden, or in a small dish from time to time.
on 12 May 2014
Arrived on time in good condition. Servicable container very useful
Added to daily birdseed ... slipping down a treat as I sit here :)