VINE VOICEon 28 June 2013
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This the second book in the `Extinction Point series', and unless I greatly mistaken there will probably be another to follow, as the story and the events that have transpired so far seem , to me to be unresolved. Other reviewers on this site have given over the plot line to varying degrees. All I will say is that what you have here is death of humanity by rain to be more precise `Red Rain'. What the author creates is a post-apocalyptic world for a bike-riding journalist to explore, this is covered in book one. The second phase of the story sees the dead reanimated and the flora and fauna of Earth are being transformed into an alien landscape - Emily our protagonist has a road trip from hell as she battles her way to Alaska to join up with other human survivors. Emily will need all her guile to survive.

The key elements that I liked;

1. The atmospheric nature of the book and the building blocks used to create Emily's world is done well.

2. The action is nicely paced; the story is tense and quite well-written.

For me this book was a real page turner, and I believe it is well worth a good 4 stars.
on 17 June 2013
Extinction Point was easily one of the best recent books published, which had the rare ability to be genuinely creepy. Exodus builds on this as well as throwing in a whole lot of new action and lots of little mysteries for us to ponder.

The way the relentless red storms sweep the planet is unnerving to say the least, especially when you are aware of the effect on all indigenous life, not just us, and the way the central characters deal with it is very down to earth - no expert scientists or weapons experts - as so commonly seem to be the ones who survive such catastrophies, just a young woman whose knowledge of boats and sailing goes no further than the re-run of Titanic she watched!

Without giving too much away Exodus can be upsetting, but in reality with what is going on around the planet earth of the story this should not come as too much of a surprise.

There is a third and possibly fourth book coming next year, which I really look forward to. So far the first two have been a work of genius, I really hope this continues.
on 15 February 2014
This is the continuing story of Emily's journey from New York to Alaska in a changing world suddenly devoid of (most) native life.

First of all, I cannot understand why the book is entitled Exodus since the word exodus means "a mass departure of people" and although Emily does meet three other people, circumstances dictate that she travels on with two of them (so hardly a 'mass'...)

I struggled to understand lots of the choices made by Emily - some were stupid and illogical and I often found myself thinking that no-one would do such a thing in those circumstances. I prefer even fictional characters to behave something like real people.

Characterisation did not get much better than in the first book of the series and was somewhat ridiculous at times. While being chased by gigantic alien monsters, Emily was worried about the emotional well-being of the two children - how would they ever recover without the help of a therapist?!! At least that gave me a laugh (it's in chapter 18 if you need one too).

The worst thing is that the book is full of unnecessary waffle and sentences are frequently padded and convoluted (that was also my main complaint about the first book of the series). Thankfully it has been proof-read quite well though.

My final 'complaint' is that this book concentrated purely on the travel aspect of the story. To be honest, not a lot happens in this instalment and there was no progression at all regarding the aliens, what they were doing, why they were here, etc. Now, that's not an issue if you believe that the characters wouldn't know these things anyway, but my problem was that Emily and her companions gave no apparent thought to what was happening to the planet, or why.

So would I buy part 3? I'd have to read the reviews first, to check that the story is properly / satisfactorily concluded and if so, it would be worth finishing the trilogy.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 23 August 2013
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This is the second book in the Extinction Point series and I read both this one and the first one back to back. It's easy to get into and I really like the story but I was a bit apprehensive about starting this as I wasn't a big fan of Emily in the first book, which is unfortunate as Emily has been pretty much the only character for most of it up to this point. By the end of this though she was starting to grow on me...a little. She still frustrates me but if she continues to grow as a character then we might get along better in later books. The story- I like very much. Emily - Not so much.

This part of the series felt more 'road-trip' than 'alien apocalypse' if I'm honest, but I was relieved that at least Emily's bike wasn't such a feature on that road trip. It was ridiculous that she wanted to to travel from New York to Alaska (approx 4000 miles) on a bicycle as the world around her was being overrun with aliens so I'm eternally grateful that that frustration is out of the picture. The fact that she's 30 (I think) and was living in New York and working as a journalist on the New York Tribune points to her being a fairly intelligent and able woman but yet she has no idea how to even start an automatic car (far less drive one), it's just too unbelievable. She maybe never learned to drive but surely she's been IN cars and/or taxi's and saw how others got them started? I'm not buying it. It was just one of the many, many things about Emily that agitated me. Things like that just didn't make any sense and felt like poor plot devices.

Despite all that though I'm still looking forward to reading the rest of the books in the series as they become available, I'm just hoping Emily and I can connect a bit better than we have so far.
on 2 May 2013
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I read the first volume of this on my Kindle after spotting it in the lending library. I was pleased when I was offered this on Amazon Vine. The main protagonist, Emily, has left New York behind and is heading North to escape the perils of the alien invasion. She is travelling by bike, because she cannot drive. That is soon to change. There are many abandoned vehicles littering the roads and it is only a short while before she will pluck up the courage to try to drive. Automatic cars are easy to drive, anyway and this is America! No struggling with clutch control there.

Emily has made contact with a scientific base in Alaska, at the top of the Ice Road known as the Dalton Highway. She knows at least one other person has survived the Red Rain that has killed almost everyone in the world. We soon find out that there is also a doomed survivor aboard the International Space Station. Will she meet other survivors, human or not, on her journey North?

Emily comes across at the beginning of the series as a shallow person, but by the end she has barely improved. There is not much psychological development in these books. On the other hand, she isn't super-human like some hero(ine)s are so that allows us to identify with her just a bit.

My main problem with these books is that I would like to know they are heading somewhere. Some years ago, I read Arthur C Clarke's Rama series, and hoped that after four books there would be something more than just endless descriptions of alien phenomena. Sadly, four books later, that was all there ever was. I fear that this series may be similar. We are going to carry on seeing alien life forms with different properties, but that is it.

The writing is on the whole good, apart from a lack of character development. I did notice at one stage that the author referred to "blacktop" (American for road) and nearby "pavement" (in the British sense on American Sidewalk, but actually American for Road) but I assume this mistake will disappear at the final published edition.

Will I carry on reading the series? Possibly. I haven't decided. That, in a way, says a lot about these books. If they were very good, I would not hesitate, but the thought of reading an endless series not going anywhere does not appeal.

EDIT: Only a trilogy! So, it may be worth reading book three after all: Revelations (Extinction Point, Book 3).
on 20 June 2013
I was worried about reading Extinction Point Exodus – the first book was so good and I wasn’t sure which direction the second book would take. Was I in for a big disappointment?
Well, in the middle of reading this book I had a new experience – the battery in my Kindle died and it switched itself off mid-sentence. Why? Because I was so engrossed in the action I had missed all the warning messages telling me that the charge was low.
This book is so good.
Emily continues on her quest to find other survivors and yes, it is a story about a journey but it is so much more. Surprisingly Paul Antony Jones managed to introduce more characters – and whilst some only had small parts to play he was able to make me care about them.
The story moves at breakneck speed – faster than the first book – but I still couldn’t read it quickly enough. I just had to know what was going to happen.

My only disappointment with this book was the end – it came too soon for me and I can’t wait for part 3. Come on Mr Jones!

P.S. I will never watch Ice Road Truckers with my son again without thinking of Emily and Rhiannon!
on 14 December 2014
There is a growing tendency to write a series of books to cover one story. At one time when you bought a book it had a full story, a start, a middle and an end. Now, the cynical view is to make more money, we have to buy several books to get one story.

This is a good story and I shall read the next book but I shall also feel a little cheated that the whole story was nit in one book.
on 15 July 2013
Who would have thought the end of all things we know and love would be at the touch of a cloud of red dust with all the sentient charm of slime mould? Not I... but Paul Antony Jones has other ideas.
These he lays before us as the story of the unfortunate Emily Baxter, last woman (or man) left standing (probably) unfolds. And it unfolds with all the speed and drama of the Grand National although with deeply nightmarish creatures from beyond in the place of your everyday sleek and friendly racehorse. You find yourself metaphorically lashed to the saddle as you take all the jumps the tale reveals as Emily's nightmare worsens, and you do so at a breakneck pace. Great stuff.
And in spite of the improbable but acceptably freaky goings-on that take over the world as we know it, you find yourself caring about the character(s), a prerequisite for any decent read. And, assuming you like your reads to occasionally be post-apocalyptic, this is a very decent and inventive read and thoroughly recommended.
Can't wait for the sequel... and btw, read the first book in the series before you read this one.
on 2 June 2014
By-in-large a good read with a generally good story line. Good enough to lead me to read through the whole trilogy.
However, I feel a touch irritated by the odd faux pas in this book. For example, the star of the show, Emily, somehow manages to be able to charge her sat-phone batteries with a solar-powered charger in the over the dead of night (wish I had one of those) and later on in the book when she was in Alaska, the same solar-charger failed to charge batteries because "the sun had not been shining" (solar chargers only require daylight and not necessarily direct sunlight).
I also get peeved when people on boats refer to charts as maps!
Oh yes, and my burning question is that there's never been a mention of how our Emily, and her alone it seems, has survived the initial alien pollution. Has she some weird blood-group or something, or maybe she aint human? Or have I missed some description way back?
But getting away from these details and many other inconsistencies the overall story-line remains a trilogy worth the read.
on 19 July 2013
I'm not in the business of writing a précis of Mr.Jones' book so look elsewhere if you want a thumbnail sketch of the whole story.

There was a reason I snapped up this second helping - yes you've guessed it - I was eager to resume hovering on Emily's shoulder (courtesy of Mr Jones's direct style) as she progresses across a blighted United States. It is more of the same but when it's of this exciting quality what's not to like. Emily's character was never a one dimensional cut & paste effort and is developing nicely as she battles onward picking up skills and knowledge even a useful side kick dog.

The mysterious red veil, the manifestation of the crisis enveloping earth is drawn back a tantalising notch or two just enough to keep us creeped out but not frustrated. So many reads of this genre sadly go South but Emily is definitely going North!

BTW: In case your wondering NO ONE in MrB's world get 5 stars.