on 29 April 2012
Read the update at the bottom, and my reply to the comment for my honest opinion after 3-6 months of using this bag. Thanks

DURABILITY: The bag is made of a good strong material which does not easily rip or tear. It has good stitching where handles and straps connect to the main compartment. After a month of rigerous use; getting thrown about; covered in sea water; and going through several airport baggage handling systems, everything looks to be holding up well.
After a boat transfer in rough weather I can say this bag has a high degree of water resistancy, all my kit inside stayed dry even though the outside was sprayed with sea water.

SIZE: I travel usually for a couple of weeks or months at a time. This bag can easily accommodate enough clothes and other items to last me that long, with enough space for some duty free an the way back.

NEGATIVES: The only negative i can find so far is the hand carry straps are quite long, so when I carry it by hand it hangs too close to the ground. Pretty annoying so I find I use the shoulder straps more than I would usually. I'm 6ft so anyone under 5'8'' is probably going to be dragging it accross the floor if you decide not to use the shoulder straps.

POSITIVES: Good value for money. Seems durable so far, though one month isn't really enough time to say for sure. Looks good. Light weight. I'm happy so far!

If you want a good quality kit bag for a fair price, this is a good option.

***UPDATE***. 3 years on.....

At the time I bought the 90 litre version of this bag I paid about £35 for it. For that price it did what it said on the tin and carried kit. After prolonged use I did find flaws in the design;
1) The small flap of material that secures with Velcro over the top of the shoulder straps is pointless and as soon as you put the bag on your back it comes undone.
2) Where the tops of the shoulder straps are attached to the bag the stitching came loose after a few months, which I was disappointed with as I generally take care of my kit and didn't rough handle it around.
3) The material of the bag, while durable, is not padded or reinforced in any way. It does not offer any protection to delicate items such as laptops.

In hindsight, I probably had higher expectations than this bag could deliver. It would be fine for short journeys and carrying sports kit to games, but for regular travel through airports and long distance, this is not the easiest thing to drag about with you everywhere. I soon wished I had just splashed out on one of the north face bags with the wheels, reinforced base and proper luggage handle.

I have adjusted the star rating accordingly. I don't think I would pay £45 for this bag as it is now. Although it was quite cheap for an large bag when I bought it, I would expect better quality from a name such as Helly Hansen.
22 comments|61 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 9 October 2014
Having only used this bag a few times I'm not impressed. The stitching on the straps that you use to put it on your shoulders has split. I'm going to have to take it to be fixed before I can use it again.
on 27 June 2014
Going on safari and having internal flights meant that we could only take 15kg in total per person plus the bag had to be no more than 25cm in width. This bag was perfect and matched the dimensions beautifully!
on 23 June 2015
I'm very happy with the purchase of this bag. Its size is perfect for a weekend trip. I have used it already for flying with several airlines as hand luggage, within Europe and America, and it fitted even for the most restrictive airlines!

It still looks new after a quite intensive use! I totally recommend it!
on 2 September 2014
Very good Bag - Size - Weight - Portability.....

Then the stitching around the over shoulder straps has broken after a bit more than a months use. The bag is in perfect condition other than that. Just poor, this really shouldn't happen...I've had bags that have lasted me years...

I would say this is because it has only been stitched at the ends whereas a lot of manufacturers stitch and then seal it by burning it or glueing.
on 23 December 2010
This is a top gym bag. I've had a few over the years but nothing compared to my old HEAD bag from the late 1980's - that was a classic, until now. The Helly Hansen is a great quality bag. The shape fits perfectly into my gym locker and the zips / straps are really well placed. I especially like the fact that it can be worn over both shoulders (rucksack style). This allows me to carry it evenly distributed across my back, with a full load, without any back ache.

It's also a great looking bag and TARDIS-like in how much you can cram in. When I first saw it my impression was that it was on the small side, probably becuase it is black, however, it is remarkable how much I can get in. I wouldn't change this bag for one ten times the price - it's sylish, practical, well made and great value.
on 10 December 2013
I ordered the 90 litre version in red.
It's made from a lovely plasticised nylon with big handles and backpack straps which tuck into the top flap so they can be hidden away when not in use.
Mesh pocket (1x) on the inside and another mesh pocket on the inside of the lid.
Bottom is not rigid and is made from a black ballistic nylon.

Feels really durable and well made. A few loose threads on the top but nothing out of the ordinary.
The 90L version is pretty big and I think would easily accommodate a 1 week winter holiday or 2 week summer holiday. Good for a car or expedition too.

5/5
on 25 January 2015
I Received it on time but with glue on the lateral black part. Not a big deal i choose to ignore it because i was really needed this bag.
First proper use today, put some stuff in it (7KG inside, the bag wasn't even half full), 10min walking with it using the backpack strap and they are ruptured, the sewing who keep them with the hook didn't resist !
I'm very disapointed about the quality of the product, it suppose to be a travel duffel bag, it should be able to transport at least some heavy stuff !
review image
on 15 December 2011
I prefer to do most of my travelling without a suitcase. I needed a large holdall to replace my old one after several years of use. I am familiar with the Helly Hansen brand when it comes to outdoor clothing, as a brand of quality, so when I saw the price of this bag I felt I had to give it a try. I was not disappointed. Like all the HH products I have bought in the past, this is also quality. Very heavy duty material, sturdily constructed. Excellent value imho.
on 14 April 2015
I looked at a lot of reviews for this product before buying it and thought that a brand such as Helly Hansen would be quality.

Upon receiving the product, I noticed that there were loose threads everyone, some in key places. Furthermore upon light use of the bag, some of the paint work on the zip had began to chip.

Plus, like most people say the handle strap is ridiculously long, no ergonomic or anthropometrics taken into account.

If I had a choice, I would not buy this bag again!