I've had this several months now and thought it better to write the review after the honeymoon period:)
This monitor has *very* good colour rendering, a better contrast ratio than lots of other models (that overstate the contrast ratio in marketing hype) and of course it looks very nice on a desk.
Touch Sensitive controls take some getting used to.

What it does cope with really well is photographic material and high definition multimedia with small to moderate changes in horizontal panning.
Text is extremely clear and pin sharp in static images,display brightness is more than adequate and easy on the eye with far less eyestrain.

Another reviewer mentioned they get slight light bleed on this panel.
I can also confirm that on mine the bottom left (when displaying a black raster) does appear to allow more white led light through the lcd.
I'm of the opinion this is a panel seating issue getting past QC.

On the whole I'm happy with this when compared to other offerings at similar prices and find it suits well for everyday use.
The screen is far more readable for text than other monitors I've used at the same price,resolution and size.
It is also is nice to look at something designed in a way that is unobtrusive rather than the usual obligatory black plastic box.

PSU is rated at 64.98 watts,so I imagine this panels improved image quality/technology requires a little more power.
There is an Eco setting in the menu at the cost of performance,turning it on seems fine,if not better for the eyes at night when watching catch up tv online etc.

The Bang & Olufsen ICEpower internal amplifier and internal speakers are very much louder than any monitor I've had but the downside is they have less top end than I'd expected.
Distortion can be quite noticeable,when turned up.
Some of this is mechanical noise and introduced because such a slim enclosure couldn't be made resonant with the enclosed speaker drivers (This distortion isn't replicated through headphone out at all)

A couple of tiny tweeters either side of the front aluminium panel may have been a good idea,increasing vocal intelligibility and soundstage.
The resultant quality of the audio is adequate but a little like having water in your ears.
I decided to continue using a DAC.

What this monitor would not be suitable for is images that pan really fast.
By this I mean if you plan on using it when intensive action gaming, you will have problems as it simply cannot keep up with extremely fast horizontal movement in the video signal and you'll likely make mistakes if you are looking to use it solely for this purpose.
(Above 400 Pixel/sec LtoR pan,convergence suffers)

For everyday full HD multimedia use and games that are not intensively action based it is a very good buy.

Official Specs:

Panel Size: Wide Screen 27.0"(68.6cm) 16:9
Panel Type : AH-IPS
True Resolution : 1920x1080
Full HD 1080P : Yes
Pixel Pitch : 0.311mm
Brightness(Max) : 250 cd/㎡
ASUS Smart Contrast Ratio (ASCR) : 80000000:1 < *(+/- pinch of salt, as required)
Viewing Angle (CR≧10) : 178°(H)/178°(V)
Response Time : 5ms (Gray to Gray)
Display Colors : 16.7M
on 10 August 2013
Overall, this is a great monitor. Great image/colour, great for gaming (Xbox & PC), visually very pleasing and the Sound is great.

There was a few reasons I decided to go with this monitor:

- Lowest response time for an IPS panel (5ms) which "supposedly" makes a bit of difference for gaming - Less ghosting, less input lag.
- 60hz. I am primarily using this for Xbox and mid end PC gaming, so I would not see 'any'? difference with a 120hz TN monitor - Xbox is locked at 60hz and the games I play on PC are rarely capable of above 60fps.
- IPS has better colour than TN panels - Yay for good colour.
- The dual HDMI comes in great use for me - Have my laptop and Xbox hooked up at the same time.
- Looks very slick - Best looking monitor I could find?
- Good sound quality - Sound like any built in TV speakers as far as I can tell.
- It had good reviews - No reviews of dead pixels, bleeding etc. I'd rather spend that little bit extra to have everything working smoothly.
- Good size and resolution. Picture looks sharp - Wouldn't recommend going above 24" for 1920x1080.

The reason I haven't rated this 5 stars is for a hand full of little reasons:

- No button to instantly mute the volume.
- Touch buttons can be accidentally pressed.
- I think mine has a slight lean to the left which irritates me a bit.
- Straight from the package, I had great trouble adjusting the monitor. The adjustment stand seem to be stuck. There is a small white mark on the edge of the screen due to the struggle I had with it (Also might have caused the slight lean).
- When I was playing fifa I noticed ALLOT of ghosting. It was so obvious I don't even think you could label it as ghosting. There was a faint white mist behind players. This was completely fixed as far as I can see by turning the "Trace Free" option to 0. Not sure how that works.
- Monitor can't go very loud, have to put it quite high t listen comfortably.

Yeah that's pretty much it as far as I can remember. I doubt you will be disappointed when buying this!
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 29 March 2013
I purchased this screen because I fancied an upgrade from my previous 23" TN panel that i had been using for around 2 years previously. It did come with a European plug as someone has previously stated, so you can use a spare clover cable, EU to UK adapter or do what I did and rewire the existing lead to a UK plug.

-One of the main features I was looking for was an IPS/PLS panel on the new screen as some of my friends have the Samsung
Galaxy S3 (Highly Recommended) which has a beautiful picture on it! The colours on IPS panels just jump out at you, there is such a difference between this and a cheap TN screen. That's one of the primary reasons I chose this. I haven't seen any signs of ghosting on this except the tiniest amount when going quickly from red to green (Opposite on the spectrum) not a big enough point to sway my 5/5 decision

-The 1080p resolution is more than enough for me. I use this screen for both Xbox and light PC gaming, and the Xbox only outputs 1080p. 27 inches is a good size for any desk, although you definitely shouldn't be setting with your eyes inches from this thing. In terms of I/O on the back you have 2 x HDMI, VGA, 3.5mm input and output. For those of you looking to use a DVI connection the screen comes with a DVI to HDMI included.

-The speakers have a lot of promotion behind them and I must say they are impressive. I haven't looked into the technology, however I can tell you they manage to fill my room which I was stunned by. It doesn't sound anything like the tinny speakers that you'd expect to come free on a monitor. Sound levels are good too, I usually have it on around 70/100 as I find this a comfortable volume to listen at. Another handy addition is the 3.5mm jack out which outputs the sound from the HDMI that the screen receives. Very useful if your like me and game with a headset. It also has a 3.5mm input so you can either play music or a different sound source through the speakers.

-The design and appearance of this is something quite beautiful. It has a brushed aluminium finish to it which looks amazing plus an overall modern design. A ring base with the support for the screen at the back of it almost gives the impression the screen is floating! The touch sensitive buttons are for controlling the monitors functions suck as: Volume; Brightness; Input; Design Grid; Colour Scheme; Menu and On/Off - these add yet more class. The menu layout was confusing at first however I did get used to where everything was, plus the main reason I needed to go there (Input Switching) had it's own dedicated button anyway.

I love this screen hence the 5/5, don't hesitate to buy one yourself!
on 31 January 2015
At first appearances this is a beautiful screen BUT ...this is what happened to me.

I ordered one from amazon and it arrived the usual fast way as amazon does. I very careful put the screen up and running and within days the silver metallic strip which is attached on the bottom of the frame with the asus logo on it become to detach itself. I then contacted amazon and as they do they promptly issued a replacement. I thought lovely and thus send the first one back to them. Upon arrival I inspected the screen as soon as I opened the box for the very defect as the one before only to discover to my disappointment that this one too had the same defect. So..I contacted amazon again for another replacement. This time they issued a refund so I made the huge mistake of ordering from another website which I have never ordered before just because I was really taken by this monitor. Besides, I thought maybe amazon had probably a bad batch.
NOT. The third screen had the same problem and the silvery strip fell off in a matter of days. The website I had ordered it refused to refund or replace and passed the ball to the manufacturer. Despite my emails and phone calls this website which name I dont know if I am allowed to say here but in any case it starts with Office and ends in Nerd did not want to hear about it. This is when you appreciate Amazon UK. To make things worse this THIRD monitor has also major back-light bleed in one corner. Asus immediate response was that everything was caused because somehow I have damaged the screen. And is at this point my friends that you realize that you have spend your money for nothing and you feel that you have been taken for a ride. Funny this is that before hand I had checked reviews on youtube and they all said the best about this screen.
Afterwords, I have found out that other people have had problems with this defect and also backlight bleeds. You only need to check the bad reviews on other sites i.e. Overclockers UK

In conclusion:

1. This monitor appears to be good but in reality is built cheap and you most likely have defects (I mean come on..3 out of 3 says it all).
2. Amazon UK is great and I will never do the mistake of ordering from another website again.
3. Never going to purchase Asus products again after the way they treat customers.
4. Do NOT purchase things from unknown websites especially the one called OfficeNerd.
review image review image
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
I really love this monitor. I am surprised that one customer reported that it does not come with a UK plug, this is wrong, it does. When you open the bag of leads I agree that a UK plug is not amongst the plethora of cables but if you delve deeper into the box you will eventually find a UK lead/plug wrapped separately. This monitor works beautifully with Lightroom, Perfect Suite and Topaz Labs which makes editing photographs a dream. Although I don't do any Video editing myself I have tested this monitor with various video editing suites and they all work perfectly. I have tried this monitor with various MMORPG games and once again they all work with panache. Oh, and if you are into DVDs then I would suggest watching them using "TotalMedia Theatre 6" software which can handle ultra wide monitors far better than any other program I own.
on 3 May 2014
I bought this monitor a year ago today. It's been nothing but fantastic. I spent about a week reading reviews of other monitors and finding out which is the best one suited for my needs and I eventually went with this one (even though it had only about 4 reviews at the time). My primary uses for this was actually gaming with my PS3, so I needed low latency. I also use it to watch lots of films and TV shows. It has excellent quality. Because it has it's own speakers and 2 HDMI ports it is perfectly suited to switch between the PS3 and my laptop or PC.

The finish on the product is also amazing, and I am considering buying a second one so I can have a dual screen setup. Would definitely recommend.
on 7 September 2014
Best screen I have ever used. Easily accommodates 2 browser/ work windows side by side and looks great. Only downside is the inability to wall/ stand mount it
on 18 May 2014
Movies are amazing on this, fully immersive without the black lines top and bottom. It would be like watching a film on a 35' tv ((roughly) which has aspect of 16:9).

As for gaming its also really good, gives you more of a surround feeling without having multiple monitors and bezels. Please note not all games support this but the ones that don't can be fixed with third party software.
on 2 August 2014
Now I like a decent monitor, and I thought I had a good one, before I brought the Asus MX299Q.

I brought this monitor for work and play. Also for the films, it is perfect for watching films on... But that is not what blew me away, and I am still in awe of this monitor for one reason. The clarity, it is just amazing, the white is bright, all over the screen, no dark edges a really nice bright screen, that you will be able to see, even in bright sun light.

ASUS Smart Contrast Ratio (ASCR) : 80000000:1

I was going to buy the much cheaper LG monitor, however paying the extra £70 was more than worth it, I would recommend it to anyone, due to one major difference, ok two... Not only does the Asus monitor look really nice to the eye, it is a beautiful bit of technology, it also has one major difference, that sets this monitor apart from the rest. The higher contrast ratio, is what makes this monitor a step up from the rest.

Compare this to the LG's ratio of 5000000:1, and you will see the difference.

So spend that extra bit of cash, and enjoy films like never before. Remember it is like having a 32" screen, but with the better definition on the colours and the brightness, you will enjoy home movies like never before.

I would also like to say Amazon was pretty good to, great delivery.

I would like to add I have not had much trouble with the stand, like other people have commented on, it is very stable, if you tighten it up with a screw driver, and not just by hand, it makes all the difference.

The touch buttons take a bit of getting used to, however once you do, you will be enjoying the monitor to the full.

I would also recommend not using the RGB setting, you can see so much difference, using the in built modes. The gaming mode brings the screen to life, enriches the colours, giving games more of a feeling when you are playing them.

This screen is very useful for first person shooters!

Also the movie mode is great for watching full HD movies with, it changes the colour again, to give you the feeling you are truly at the cinema. A very nice touch indeed.

But do not take my word for it, go get one yourself, you will not regret it at all.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
I was sceptical about buying this monitor as it seemed perhaps a bit gimmicky to have such a narrow edge and stylish design, but I was pleasantly impressed.

The one negative point people have often sighted about this screen is that for a 27" screen it does not reach the higher resolution of 1440p, but that is precisely what I did not want, I previously owned a 27" screen at that higher resolution and it really wasn't for me, working with text a lot of the time it became a chore to read off of. However, this is the perfect size and resolution.

I used to work as an image editor so I have seen a fair few screens in my time and my opinion is that this comes pretty close to being the standard that a lot of the £600+ monitors would be, it is of course an IPS which gives you fantastic colour's and image quality, and the viewing angle is probably the best I have seen. For gaming I have read reports of ghosting or trailing becoming visible in certain circumstances bit I haven't noticed anything with games running up to 100fps. Also the monitor supports those low resolutions you will get when using something like dosbox, for anyone worried a bigger monitor might diminished their old school full screen gaming. I would recommend the scenery pre-set mode for image, I found this to have the levels most well balanced. In addition there is also a grid alignment mode which creates a screen overlay that you can move around and set to certain sizes, A4, envelope etc.. it's a really nice edition especially for things such as photoshop work.

Criticisms, yes the touch buttons are a little rubbish but it really doesn't matter, it would however have been nice for the option to wall mount, but I guess that would of caused a bigger design. The choice of not having a DVI is an odd one, but it does come with a DVI to HDMI cable so that isn't a biggie. There are also speakers which are nothing to write home about but it is nice that there is also an audio jack which is useful if you don't have a headphone port close to your disposal.

In all a very impressive monitor, and for the price it is an absolute steal, I can only assume it is so cheap due to not sporting a 1440p resolution and in that case it was win win for me. And it goes without saying it looks very nice sat on a desk.