Microsoft Office Home and Student 2013, License Card, 1 User (PC)
Platform: PCEdition: Home and Student EditionChange
Price:£94.98+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

Though this installed fine on my system (Windows 7, SP1, 64-Bit), I did have problems installing the Office 365 trial (before I chose instead to buy the Home and Student 2013 download from Amazon). The problem for me seemed to be as it says you can start using office straight away (before the product has even been installed). I didn't try this, but after the introduction video (which starts playing whilst it is installing) there is an option to "learn more". After clicking this, the Office 365 trial opened a Powerpoint presentation, whilst Office was still installing, and Powerpoint promptly crashed. The installer also gave several "critical" errors, but continued installing eventually and despite the problems, everything seemed to work fine when it had finished.

I could understand how this may cause serious problems to your install--depending on whereabouts the installer had gotten to--so I'd recommend not trying to open any programs or clicking the "learn more" button. I didn't do anything with this download version (just let it install) and it installed without any problems for me.

The software itself is great. I prefer it to 2010 mainly as it seems to load a lot quicker (all programs load in a couple of seconds, whereas with Office 2010 it was an irritating 10-20 on my system). I also really like the new start screen--which looks beautiful and gives you easy access to all your recently used/pinned documents as well as the templates on Office.com (though you can turn it off in the options if you prefer to go straight to the program). I use templates a lot, so for me this was excellent. The other great thing (for me) is that the response time inside of the program is also much snappier (the ribbon switches instantly between "tabs", whereas in 2010, from a cold start, each of the tabs would into RAM as you used them). It is a small difference, but also means you can get working almost immediately without the program doddering about for a while initially.

The ability to automatically save to your Sky Drive folder is welcome (though you can easily change it to save to another folder if you prefer). It doesn't seem any slower to me: there is a noticeable pause once you save something for the first time, but saving with the button on the quick access toolbar afterwards is almost instant.

Of course, though, the main drawback is the new single-computer licensing restriction (for which reason I'm only giving it 3 stars (1 star licensing and 5 star software). As I only use one PC, it's not a problem for me, but I can totally understand anyone refusing to pay twice if they have a laptop also. There is the option, now, though, of buying this for your main PC, and installing Office 2010 starter (just search for "download Office 2010 starter", M$ have made it freely available now) to your secondary device. I know it has annoying adverts, but I used to use WordWeb--a downloadable dictionary and thesaurus which you can set to "stay on top"--to cover them. Though obviously not as good as the full Office (it only has cut-down editions of Excel and Word), this is a decent compromise if you do most of your work on one PC and just use your laptop for basic editing on the move.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
Platform: PCEdition: Home and Student EditionVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Despite what other reviewers have said I actually don't mind that you don't actually get a physical disc for your monwey. Microsoft have done this for a while. In the past as part of my employers HUP I've had Office Enterprise and a few other versions in the past whereby I've just received my serial number and a download link.

You do have to sign up with Microsoft now though to use their software, so you have to register before you downloading and it's worth noting that you are "signed in" while using Word, etc. One useful feature though is SkyDrive - similar to Google's and many others - that lets you save stuff to the cloud.

Office 2013 is similar to the two previous versions. After six years I still struggle to remember where all the functions are. Things were much clearer up to the 2003 version in my opinion.

I'm using Home and Student 2013 on a Windows 8, Toshiba touch screen laptop. On starting Word you are presented with a batch of templates from a Blank Document to other flyers, etc. The most annoying thing for me is when clicking on the blank document once it's loaded the on-screen keyboard fires up and I have to close it every time. I'm hoping that there is a solution to that tucked somewhere away in the menus. The ribbon menu is familiar to users of 2007 and 2010 with HOME having all the nitty-gritty options such as font, font size, effects, etc.

Although I like using LibreOffice, etc there's nothing like Word, even versions which are 15 years old still work perfectly well. 2013 is great for W8 touch screens and I would recommend it to anyone.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 21 May 2013
Potential buyers should note that following a lot of negative press about non-transferable Office licenses, Microsoft changed this policy in March 2013.

"Based on customer feedback we have changed the Office 2013 retail license agreement to allow customers to transfer the software from one computer to another," Microsoft's Jevon Fark said in a blog post on Wednesday. "This means customers can transfer Office 2013 to a different computer if their device fails or they get a new one."
55 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 3 March 2013
This does pretty much exactly the same thing as previous versions of Microsoft office but with a few new cloud storage features and other small refinements. It is fully functional though but it will only work on a fairly recent computer (the requirements are windows 7 or 8). The biggest downside is the licence is for one computer only which makes it cost more than the previous version which was for three computers. As long as it is the industry standard expect similar behaviour from Microsoft in the future where it may become a in the cloud product only. Otherwise a fairly good product but only worth buying if you really need it.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 2 March 2013
Since writing this review Microsoft have had a change of heart-well, a change of policy anyway. I understand that the license is now transferable on new purchases. Well done us!-

I have always liked Microsoft Home Office and have used it for many years, but they have gone too far with Office 2013. Upping the price is one thing but making the license `One time purchase for the life of your PC; non-transferrable' is outrageous.

It means if you change your PC, reinstall Windows, or install a replacement hard drive you have to buy a new copy of Office 2013. Do the words shot and foot mean anything?

It may be part of your cunning plan to drive us into your cloud based 365 subscription version, but me? When the time comes I am off to Open Office: it is free and almost as good.
1414 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
Microsoft have two major income streams. The largest is from licensing Windows and the second is from Office.

Income from Windows was much reduced on the release of Windows 7 and has dropped further since Windows 8 was released. The corporate buyers are refusing to commit to either upgrade and that is where the big bucks should derive. Office provided a steady, but not dramatically large, income stream for many years but the impact of freebies such as Open Office and Libre Office and the costs of licensing hundreds and possibly thousands of users makes the no-cost alternatives very attractive. To add to the problem, employees using Libre or Open Office may well be tempted to use the same software at home and the truth is that many have. Many of these freebies are functionally identical to the mainstream products in all but a few little-used areas and, interface aside, few will notice or regret the move from the paid-for product.

Microsoft needed to come up with an alternative plan and the current license model where the license is not transferable from one user to another or from one machine to its successor owned by the same user may seem attractive to MS, especially if the annual, renewable license is chosen which produces a guaranteed income for a number of years. Adobe use a similar model and some suggest that it is negatively affecting their sales. It is less than attractive to most potential purchasers.

Unless there is an absolute necessity to remain loyal to MS Office, perhaps if the extra modules included with the Professional version or above (Visio, for example) are an essential, or especially if you want to to have a unified user interface with Windows 8 - the product which alone is internally considered an economic failure within Microsoft - then you will lose little by adopting one of the freebies.

The current deal makes little sense to the end-user and those who have Office 2007 or 2010 may wish to continue using them. The differences are slight and primarily GUI-related.

As the software is not provided on media, it needs to be downloaded and for many it is a less than simple solution as their connections don't have the needed speed or consistency. With some ISP's tendency to unannounced arbitrary disconnections, you may need to attempt several downloads before succeeding with one. Paying close to £100 for this annoying privilege, is not a good deal.

No longer recommended!

POSTSCRIPT @ 07-2013

Although purchasing a licensed copy from a legitimate source, it has twice negated the registration after a single use. I have decided to call it a day with this nonsense and have switched to using LibreOffice 4. It is a freebie, is problem free and compatible with all the MS Office alternatives that I am likely ever to use or need.

Although MS have apparently responded to some of the end-user and press reactions to this software, I feel wholly unable to offer a recommendation and strongly suggest using one or other of the excellent freebies that exist. Save your money!
2020 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Price & restrictions
MS have effectively increased the price of Office by over 300%. Beware especially of the "lease" deal which will effectively kill your copy if you don't keep up the payments ($100 per year). Secondly, despite the box, you don't ever get a disc. This is just a stonking great download which will take about an hour on a 2mb connection. Product is locked to the PC it is installed on. It is impossible to use the copy elsewhere. This will be the most expensive office software in the 21st century to date.

The interface
If you disliked office 2007/10 then you will dislike this even more. No more colours, just grey on grey with a grey background. Looks as interesting and exciting as a bowl of cold porridge. Tab titles are NOW IN ALL CAPITALS why????? Pointless & annoying.

If you have a tablet you can now make the icons bigger. Other than that, there is no advantage over office 2010 that I can find.

Documents
When you save something you are primarily directed towards "THE CLOUD" where MS want you to store all your docs - two issues with this, firstly it means that MS and anyone else they like can access your potentially private & confidential docs; secondly MS assumes that you have a fast internet connection all of the time.

Outlook appears to have some issues in terms of sharing calendars which have caused major problems for some people.

Conclusions
Time to ditch this overpriced, control freak, dull bloatware and move onto something infinitely preferable. This is the worst version of MS Office ever, and I have been a user since 1992.

After office 2007 was released I ported all of our standard document formats into Libre Office .odt format. That now looks like a really good decision and I heartily recommend ditching MS Office and migrating to Libre Office or Open Office asap. Save your money and save your sanity.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 2 February 2013
Have to agree with the majority of reviewers, the price has put me off...I'm away to Download Libre office for FREE and see how I get on!
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
over they years I have dutifully upgraded my Office software at home (and Windows, including the dreadful Vista) with my own money. It makes my life easier working with my clients and the price was ok. When my laptop hard disk died or I moved to a new machine it was a pretty painless event getting Office back on

but Office 2010 will be the last one I buy. Office 2013 at £100 for a single usage, non transferable licence in this day and age is utterly unreasonable and I cant see who will pay that much - certainly all the individuals and small businesses I know are going to freeware, if they havent already

there are so many effective free alternatives I would be crazy to give money to these people, e.g. listed here [...] oops, Amazon stripped the link, if you search for Gizmo 46 freeware it will take you to all manner of great (free) stuff inc Office suites
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 8 February 2013
I purchased this software, but once I became aware of the consequences of the licensing agreement I asked for a refund. In fact Microsoft don't sell you the software, the grant you a license of use; you can install and run the software on a computer as long as you comply with the Microsoft T&C. You can only install the software on one pc. If your PC dies or stops working you will have to buy a new licence. What happens if your hard drive crashes, or you have to replace other components in your computer? You are dependent on Microsoft goodwill to be able to re-install your software. I am not going to take that risk.

Update July 2013
At the time of writing the review (February 2013) Microsoft would not let you re-install the software. Microsoft has since then reluctantly changed its policy after pressure from end users and the T&C now states that; "You may transfer the software to another computer that belongs to you, but not more than one time every 90 days (except due to hardware failure, in which case you may transfer sooner)." Which is clearly an improvement.
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...