Format: DVD|Change

on 27 September 2009
I guess many of the people interested in this old but still warm and worthwhile film, will have watched the original in the cinemas in or around 1971. I did, awakening at the age of sixteen to the emotion of love. I adored the fun that the main characters had at Harvard and I longed for University only two years away, but seemingly a lifetime still. I travelled to Boston this summer and Harvard and walked the courtyards where they played in the snow. A little sentimental now I guess by modern standards but still a fine film and one that does not seem to have been included in TV schedules for many year.The tragic end was perfect in helping a love lorn sixteen year old come to terms with a strange world. I am still trying!
on 12 June 2004
I have to say that if anyone is even the remotest bit sensitive then this will make them cry! My mum and I were both howling by the end of the film!
As it has been described as cheesy, I must say that I did not find this a cheesy film. It is very sweet and romantic yet it is not one of those predictable films where the girl gets the guy and they live happily ever after. I believe that this is quite different from the usual stereotypical romantic films.
If you love soppy, adorable, romantic films, then this film is definitely a must.
on 29 February 2008
Only having sketchy memories of this from briefly viewing it on TV once at least twenty odd years ago, I thought I knew I didn't like this 'manipulative tear jerker', so, during a phase of rewatching and reassessing some films I had dismissed without really paying attention to, I put this on to watch from beginning to end. And this was one that changed my casually made opinion of it. I didn't really know it was a story of the power of love between two people from such different backgrounds, I sort of knew there was a class thing there, but I didn't know how much of one there was, and how central this was to the story. It made for a very involving narrative because, naturally the viewer would be rooting for true love to conquer this petty divide, a divide as wide as a cavern in the eye's of the O'Neil character's prim and proper family. The sacrifice he makes to be with the one he loves is nothing short of heroic, and O'Neil's acting is superb. The screenplay is witty and memorable as it crystalises that young love lingo, the soppy nicknames each has for the other, and the collegy, wordy conversations that young elite college undergraduates have with each other. It actually tries quite hard not to be a maudling tear jerker, and makes McGraw's character quite a tough minded, no nonsense cookie, but with a real heart, who actually likes O'Neil's stern father more than he does, and is desperate for him to end his feud of silence with his father. Overall, an involving and enjoyable portrayal of a deep and passionate love.
on 4 April 2013
I love this film for Ali and Ryan who both shine in their respective lead roles; for their and the director's handling of the blossoming romance (e.g. the snow scenes at the football ground as Ali licks the snow from Ryan's face - so natural); for the memories it evokes of the early 70s; yes for the music and for the fine supporting performances of Ray Milland and John Marley as the fathers of Oliver and Jenny (Marley's scene with O'Neal in the hospital corridor is beautifully underplayed and so powerful for it). The love story on show here is perhaps as much about the parent /child dynamic too. Wonderful.
on 15 January 2010
One of my favourite movies of all time. I have watched this hundreds of times - no I'm not kidding I still need a box of tissues! I also find it, for me, very nostalgic, as I lived in Canada in the late 1960's so it reminds me of that time - especially the snow/Christmas scenes.
on 23 April 2016
VIDEO:

This 42 year old movie arrives on blu ray with MPEG-4 AVC 1080p 1.78:1 encode. For a low-budget film, this new transfer is much improved over the previous DVD counterpart. Contrast is surprisingly sharp and consistent, with crisp, clean whites, giving the presentation an attractive, rejuvenated appearance. Fine object and textural details can often be remarkable, revealing very distinct lines around buildings, clothing and hair. Black levels are quite impressive and accurate. Colours are very bold, especially the red and blue (like bright red dresses and the crimson Harvard hockey jersey). Skin tone is very natural. Overall, it is a very pleasing video transfer. (4.0/5)

AUDIO:

Although the back cover showed that the audio was only in Dolby Digital Mono, this movie does have a DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 lossless soundtrack (not noted on the cover). If the story itself isn't enough to pull at the heartstrings, then Francis Lai's timeless score should finish the job on this beautiful soundtrack. The music plays an important role in the narrative. It fills the entire soundstage with excellent clarity and an outstanding mid-range, differentiating between each individual key of the piano and the rest of the score's orchestration. Dialogue reproduction is superb, delivering even the whispered conversations with exceptional intelligibility.

We are all very familiar with the title theme, and probably have the original soundtrack album. Other tracks, like Snow Frolic, Mozart: Sonata In F Major, Skating In Central Park, Bach's Concerto No. 3 in D Major, are all oh so beautiful and soothing, fitting snugly with the video.

This movie was nominated for 7 Academy Awards, and Francis Lai deservedly walked away with the Oscar for Best Original Score. (4.5/5)

INTERESTING TRIVIA:

(1) This movie has a budget of 2.2 million, but box office gross was 106 million dollars. An amazing feat in 1970.
(2) Did you know that eight up-and-coming actors including Michael Douglas, Jon Voight, Beau Bridges, Michael York, Michael Sarrazin, Jeff Bridges, Keith Carradine and Peter Fonda turned down the role of Oliver, despite being offered 10% of the gross?
(3) The most famous line from the film, "Love means never having to say you're sorry", was actually misspoken from the script. Originally the line was supposed to be: "Love means not ever having to say you're sorry."
(4) This movie also marked the debut of Tommy Lee Jones (as Hank Simpson in the movie).

FINAL THOUGHTS:

After 42 years since its original theatrical release, Arthur Miller's Love Story remains the sentimental tearjerker that shattered box-office records and set the template for pretty much every romantic drama since. Another movie, like Love Story, that spontaneously produces copious tearing, is of course Titanic, which will be released later this year on blu ray. Love Story is released just in time for Valentine's Day. This is one movie you should watch with your loved one, shed some tears together, and after the movie, embrace and thank the good Lord for how lucky we are. Highly recommended.
on 19 October 2009
What a brilliant film, fair enough the acting is slightly bland due to the fact it was made in the 70s BUT omg what a weepy, brill film, a lil anoying as they plaY the love story theme a lot but brill film overall!! CLASSIC!!
on 13 September 2008
A brilliant film with a moral message that is as true today as it was when the movie was made.
The grass is not always greener...and you will live to regret hurting the one person who really loved you!!!
on 9 February 2009
This is a BRILLIANT film so dont waste time reading this review just go out and buy a oopy.
I promise you wont regret it.
on 24 October 2012
Ryan O'Neil is fantastic as Oliver Barrett IV, a rich kid who falls in love with talented but broke Jennifer (Ali McGraw). There are lots of good performances in this movie, my favourite being from Ray Millard who plays Oliver's uptight, emotionally constipated father. I didn't enjoy Ali McGraw's performance quite so much and some of her lines seemed to come straight out of a JD Salinger short story. There are also some unbelievably corny scenes involving snow angels and sappy music. McGraw has a fabulous preppy wardrobe which I think has contributed to the timeless appeal of this film. It is nice to see a beautiful actress with crooked teeth and slightly imprefect skin as opposed to todays clones. Of course everyone knows this is a sad story but it left me strangely dry-eyed. Would recommend buying it with "the Way We Were" with Redford and Streisand