on 17 November 2012
Wow! This is the kind of long-form journalism that I only read in journalism anthologies from the 1970's and 1980's: Hunter S. Thompson, PJ O'Rourke, old copies of Granta etc. It's a thrilling, first-person journey through Syria's rebellion, and it really succeeds in getting under the skin of what's happening more than the daily, meaningless press reports of deaths and bomb attacks. The writer shows these people as human rather than just as victims, with real dilemmas and real courage: and the real complexity of Syria's "armed struggle" against the Syrian regime.

I read this little ebook in three sittings, and couldn't wait to get back to it to see how things turn out for the family he follows.(It would have been nice to have had some pictures) If this is the future of proper, long-form reporting, to be farmed out on Amazon for the cost of a coffee, I'd much rather buy this than my daily paper (I can get the daily paper for free anyway!).
on 6 February 2014
Great account of the confusion that is the situation in Syria. An assortment of opposition with not much coordination. We have groups urging secular tolerance but other groups with a record of violence and killing. One has the feeling that unless opposition can be united there are too.many struggles going on here and too many opposing sides.