VINE VOICEon 23 August 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
My wife and I love curries, Indian and Thai. We normally prepare all of the ingredients from scratch. Every few months making up pots of Garam Masalata etc.

We were intrigued by these Kent's Kitchen Meal kits for Thai red curry.

Inside the cardboard container are 4 coulourful plasic boxes which each have three pots for all of the spices and oil needed to be used with freahly bought ingredients.

We had just bought fresh chicken and several tins of coconut milk from our amazing Aldi.

The instructions are hidden behind the ingredients list in very small print. Two options, use a magnifying glass or what I did, scan them and display as a .pdf on my Samsung tablet.

The instructions confusingly say for 2 or 4 people. We cooked four chicken breasts, a whole can of coconut milk and lots of veggies and the resulting Thai curry with our favourite brown rice was as good as we have had in our local Thai restaurant.I think only two chicken breasts etc. would have resulted in too strong a flavour.

There are 14 different flavours of meal available. I wish it was possible to buy a mixed selection, They would then make great gifts and also allow us to experiment with meals from around the world.
VINE VOICEon 23 August 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This is a really simple, easy to make, meal kit which tastes great. All you need to add are cherry tomatoes, red pepper, coconut milk, chicken, and coriander to garnish. The instructions are on the reverse of the label - just peel it back and follow them. It doesn’t take long to make the dish (less than 20 mins) and it is really fresh and tasty. The meal kit serves two but they say you should just add more chicken if you have more people. I made it for three people so used three chicken breasts and there was plenty of curry for everyone.

Overall presentation of the dish looked really good and for a quick meal it looked nice and tasted fantastic. It is ideal for anyone working late and wanting a quick dinner but I would also have no hesitations serving it for guests coming for dinner. I am not the biggest fan of spicy food and it was hot for me but it still tasted delicious. It reminded me of some of the meals I had in Thailand and I thought it was quite authentic.

I really want to try some of the other meal kits now. It would be great if you could get a variety box which has four different meal kits (eg. Green Thai Curry, Red Thai Curry, Chicken Chow Mein and a Spicy Korma) rather than four of the same.

I am very impressed. Three of us tried this meal kit and we all thought it tasted great. Everyone gave it 5 out of 5 stars. Much nicer than a jar of sauce!
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I think the concept of this red thai curry kit is very good indeed and I found the curry to be really nice when made. Very tasty and fresh.

However, there is a slight issue here. Let me explain.

A lot of these kits, especially for mexican food, require you to buy chicken or beef, maybe an onion and, once in a blue moon a pepper. Most people will have chicken breasts in the freezer and usually an onion lying around so there is little that needs to be done beyond getting the pan fired up.

The red thai kit requires you to add the following to the kit, 400ml coconut milk, chicken breasts, cherry tomatoes, red pepper and fresh coriander. I think most people will not have much beyond chicken breasts and, at a push, coconut milk, lying around.

What this means is you need to plan this meal in advance. No great shakes but the convenience factor goes way down which is a bit of a shame.

Anyway, the curry itself tastes nice, not too hot but with a wee kick from the chillis. One thing I thought was pretty cool is that the oil for frying your chicken is in the pack and its garlic infused, that is a nice touch and gives the chicken a nice taste.

So, a decent enough kit with some nice flavours but make sure you have the required fresh ingredients.
on 10 November 2015
These are delicious and very easy to make following the instructions on the back of the label. Good shelf life and not too many extra ingredients make this an excellent kit to start your adventure into spice!

However considering this kit is only adding some oil and a herb mix to the curry paste though I do feel they are quite expensive, probably on par with supermarkets though so I wont moan too much.
VINE VOICEon 22 August 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
These are handy little pots to have all the various herbs and spices ready to cook a quick curry, especially if you're the type of person who buys a load of herbs and spices then uses them for one recipe and they they live in your kitchen and never get used again. However, you do need a few other ingredients alongside the spice pots to make a meal which might then make them a little expensive. We didn't go completely with the recipe as i'm vegetarian so we used different vegetables to the ones suggested along with quorn rather than chicken. It did turn out to be very tasty and i guess you could completely leave out the quorn and simple use lots of veggies if you wanted to. I think i would try others from this range to see whether the quality is the same across the board but these are quick useful to have in the cupboard alongside some tins of coconut milk, then as i've said just some veggies and rice and you've got a lovely meal.

Be aware that the cooking instructions are inside the sticky label on the back of the pack in quite small writing so very hard to miss.
on 13 February 2015
These kits are really easy to use and make a satisfying meal when you add the pots to ordinary ingredients such as tinned tomatoes or coconut milk. Having tried quite a few of these, this red Thai curry is one of my favourites. The flavour is subtly spicy and savoury and very satisfying.
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
These neat little packs are great value, when you consider that this 4 pack will provide you with enough to cook four meals or I suppose you could add them all together to make one big meal at a dinner party.

This is a great option for a quick meal option - you need to have coconut milk (I always have some in my cupboard), red peppers (I used red and yellow peppers) and cherry tomatoes (I used plum) - after all it is just a suggestion and you could add/take away additional ingredients as you have them available.

The three little stacked pots are a clever idea and makes it slightly Blue Peter - with everything weighed and measured ready to put in at the right moment. Of course you need to add some fresh ingredients, but these are quick and easy to prepare and it really is worth the extra effort for a really fresh taste.

The pack that I received has an expiry date in December, which is great as I would probably make this once or twice a month, so within the timeframe for use.

I wish that the instructions were written straight on the back of the pack and not peel down the label instructions, but that's a minor gripe.
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
The finished meal tasted quite nice if a bit oily but not like any other Thai curries that I have tasted either home-made or at Thai restaurants. However I would not buy it in future as I do not think it is value for money.

There are 3 pots in the kit one of which is garlic infused oil. The oil need not be garlic infused as if the meal needed the garlic it could be added to the Thai red curry paste. This leaves 2 pots of which one is described as a garnish. This in my opinion is not a garnish, it is an ingredient and as such I don't see why it could also not be added to the curry paste. A garnish is used to add flavour or texture or decoration or a combination of these to a prepared dish.

This would then leave just one small pot of expensive curry paste that does not contain some of the usual ingredients of a Thai red curry paste such as - shallot, lemon-grass, cumin, fish sauce (light soy for vegetarians), and ginger which could be why the taste was new to me.
VINE VOICEon 1 September 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
One can't help but suspect that this product mostly exists because of the smart packaging, for beyond that it has little if anything to offer over a jar of curry paste or a spice blend. It looks and sounds appealing in its little plastic tower containing a tub of garlic-infused oil to fry in, a tub of spice paste, and a tub of "aromatics", but the finished product is no easier nor better tasting than what you'd expect to get from any random curry paste. The spice paste has a very odd texture, sort of smooth and treacle-y, and the aromatics (dried herbs and veg) don't seem to add much of anything. You have to add your own meat, coconut milk, fresh veg and coriander. I did think the finished product tasted good - better than I had expected, in fact. However, had I been served this without seeing the packaging, I doubt I'd have recognised it as a Thai curry. Indeed the elements I'd have most associated with Thai cookery are the coconut milk and coriander which I had to add myself. It also didn't have much kick. So: palatable? Yes, not bad at all. Authentic? Didn't taste like any Thai curry I've eaten before but then I've never been to Thailand. Easy? No more so than using curry paste from a jar. Value for money? Again, much cheaper to buy that jar of spice paste. Plus, lots more wasteful packaging. Which brings me back to the conclusion that the only reason to buy this is the slightly unusual presentation.
on 22 August 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I wasn't really sure about this since I generally don't use "ready meals" or meal preparation kits, but gosh I was in for a nice surprise.
Each meal kit comes in its own cute clear box which contains 3 little pots, one with Garlic oil, one with spices and one with curry paste. The kit suggests you need to have in your possession chicken strips, coconut milk, red pepper, and tomatoes with coriander to garnish. I guess when you pick this up you would but the other bits alongside. The instructions are so easy to follow and having tested it I can conform this is a great cheat for making red thai curry. Tasted good and super simple, will be looking out for other kits now! For those who are environmentally sensitive the only gripe I have is the use of extra plastic packaging. I wonder if they could have used cardboard to house each individual meal pack rather than the (albeit nice looking) plastic box.