Grown Ups 2 [DVD] [2013]
Format: DVDChange
Price:£5.00+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

The sequel comes with very little plot. Our foursome all have their child issues. David Spade suddenly has a long lost son so he doesn't miss out on the fun. There is an 80's theme party with a ridiculous townies vs. college boys fight.

The humor is still crude, but perhaps a bit less than before as I found it tolerable. The film mostly relies on one liners and insults as is typical in a Sandler production. This film also highlights the talents or lack thereof of many Hollywood larvae including the Sandler clan, Patrick Schwarzenegger, and Paulina Gretzky. Team Jacob fans can watch Taylor Lautner in an uncredited role as Fratboy Andy. My how they have fallen.

Will work as a rental. No hurry to rush out and see it.

Parental Guide: Brief male rear nudity. 1 f-bomb. No sex. Sex talk and general crudeness including urination, feces, and fart humor.
on 5 June 2015
Whilst the orignal actually had a plot and some conedic moments this sequel virtually has neither. Who would believe that Grown Ups 2 is actually Adam Sandlers first ever sequel, and it sucks big time. Kids under 12 will most probably love the tired American values but honestly if you're any older and like this movie go to the mirror now and slap yourself.

There's only so much crassness and comptempt for the audeince watching that can be taken. Sandler and his rich buddies, who are also portrayed as rich in the movie, comfortable isn't it? are having a great time at our expense. So throw this in if you want but if you give us zero plot and zero comedy we will come after you.

Grown Ups 2 is full of casual sexism, predictable dribbling plot and little spolit brats that you would want to seriously scream at. Bottom line is is that its not funny. Sandler somehow has swum up to new low depths- and you kind of get the feeling that as his bank account grows he knows it and sadly doesn't care.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 25 December 2013
'Grown Ups 2' is a buddy comedy film that released in 2013. The film is a sequel to the hit Grown Ups, which released in 2010. Even though heavily panned by critics, the second installment earned three times the budget raking in more than 240 million dollars at the box-office.

The story again centers around the lives of four childhood friends (Adam Sandler, Chris Rock, David Spade and Kevin James) as they deal with crazy situations involving family, bullies, friends and above all the mayhem they cause.

I have a soft spot for Adam Sandler comedies and this is no exception. I loved the prequel and I'm first to admit that this is weaker. Still there are plenty of laughs and slapstick moments that are a treat to watch. Yes, the jokes are at times lazy, but it doesn't affect the fun. Also in the mix are uplifting feel good moments.

All the actors appear natural at what they do, it's clear they were having a blast. No one tries hard to act, just the presence of everyone is sufficient. The movie does't demand good acting, just comedic chemistry that connects well with the funny episodes. My pick of the lot is Sandler, he's the heart and soul. The actor who I greatly missed though is Rob Schneider, who has done about eighteen films with his friend, Sandler mainly in cameos. I thought he was entertaining in the first part and always look forward to seeing his hilarious cameos in Sandler movies. Apparently there were scheduling conflicts, but he's been missing from Sandler's other recent outings as well. Hopefully he returns for Grown Ups 3.

The direction adopted by Dennis Dugan who has done about eight films with Sandler is let the boys have fun, I comprehend.

'Grown Up 2' is simply a good laugh with the buddies.
on 12 April 2015
I'll start by saying I loved Grown Ups 1, so maybe I was just expecting more because I liked the first one.

I think the main problem is Grown Ups 1 has something of a plot and theme; nostalgia, and modern childhood life vs 'the good old days' childhood life. Trouble is, Grown Ups 2 loses this. It doesn't have a plot. Just people randomly going about their day doing silly or funny or just weird stuff. Where as 1 had a plot/theme to hold the comedy together, this film just felt like a collection of 'funny' stuff someone went 'wouldn't it be funny if' and then just cobbled it together into one film.

The other problem is Grown Ups 1 had, mostly, realistic(ish) characters that just happened to find themselves in funny situations or doing funny things, which is what made it funny.....Grown Ups 2, however, seems to rely on what you saw a lot in old Adam Sandler films, and that's over the top and completely cartoony/unrealistic comedy characters that are meant to just be funny because of how they are generally odd. So it shifted away from (kind of) realistic(ish) comedy to slap stick silly cartoony comedy.

Having said that, for the price listed at the moment (£3), it's a bit of silly fun to have on while having a few drinks or with friends when you're likely to be chatting a bit anyway.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 16 April 2014
The four key families from the first film's summer holiday escapade, patriarch's Adam Sandler, Kevin James, Chris Rock & David Spade move the comedy back home this time as the parents childhood's & their children's current ones come under the madcap comedy microscope. It has some genuine funny & heartfelt moments in it's by the numbers story with bullies, first loves, family bonding & dads crush on the hot ballet teacher etc... but not all the jokes quite work & as a series it's not that attention grabbing, more of a holiday & mess around for the cast who are all friends in real life & make this when they have spare time in their schedules.

The matriarch's also all return, Salma Hayek, Maya Rudolph & Maria Bello. Along with the usual faces of Steve Buscemi, Tim Meadows, Nick Swardson, Peter Dante, Director Dennis Dugan , Adam's wife Jackie & their children. As well as a host of guest appearances & cameo's from Shaquille O'Neal, Steve Austin, Andy Samberg , Jon Lovitz & Taylor Lautner among the many famous faces.

In conclusion, Grown Up's 2 does entertain enough to make watching it not a total waste of time, arguably slightly better than the first one(?). Contains mild language, violence & mature themes. Worth a watch.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
Some days Sandler is engaged. Some days he is not, and on those days, he usually brings his friends along for the ride. Today, Sandler is unengaged.

Grown Ups 2 has no plot. It wouldn't surprise me if they had no script. It has some funny moments, because with this many comedians in one place (particularly Kevin James, who is so likeable that he tends to somehow bypass terrible material and make it funny) there are bound to be. Taylor Lautner as a villainous fratboy is perfectly cast and sinks his teeth into the role brilliantly.

Nothing really happens. Some of them have marital problems. Some of them have no problems. Some of them barely have character traits. The film squeaks by as being just about watchable, although at times it's offensive - the female bodybuilder who David Spade falls for is the butt of a lot of very distasteful, mainly transphobic jokes.

Ultimately, it's just barely watchable, but paying money for it would be insane unless you're a Sandler completist. I watched it on Netflix and I still felt like I wanted my money back.

I'll say this much though. Somehow, despite a plot, it's better than the first one.
on 1 May 2015
Not as good as the first film but still with some funny moments. It was a shame there was no Rob Schneider in this follow up because I find him funny. The jokes in this movie were a bit mostly cheap jokes, not smutty as such but its like the writers tried less hard believing it would all just work out.

We watched it as a family and then put it in a box to go in the loft. We have watched the first film a few times and this one just doesn't compare. It doesn't have the cute moments and the fun factor of being away from it all for a few days.

If it had been more than £3 I wouldn't have bought it. I did get an Ultraviolet code with this DVD though. So I can not watch it again from my Flixster account.
on 19 September 2014
My son (10) really wanted to see this. It shouldn't have been a PG. Neither of us actually found much of it funny and much of the 'humour' was offensive.
on 28 May 2014
This film just seems like numerous comedy sketches rolled into a feature as a result of character continuity rather than plot. After an hour of watching I was still wondering what the point was and where the film was going. Once it was over, I still wasn't sure. This doesn't mean that the film isn't funny - in places it is very funny. However, it is random, disjointed and ultimately bizarre. If you like Adam Sandler and Chris Rock portraying themselves then you will love this.
on 21 May 2015
First things first.
This should not be watched unless you have seen Grown Ups as it will likely make no sense whatsoever. Even then this is quite a strange film, it's like a really long sketch show with very little in the way of coherent story. It's almost like deleted scenes from the first film stitched together to make a sequel! Still, there are certainly a few laugh out loud moments but you'll be probably watch it just the once.