Format: DVDChange

on 11 August 2013
Unlike the cartoon version, the films are strictly for kids and not much entertainment for adults. The second installment assumes you know the characters from the first feature. In this feature, Gargamel (Hank Azaria) manages to kidnap Smurfette (Katy Perry) to CG Paris. The Smurfs mount a rescue.

The film is simple enough for a 5 year old. Older kids might have trouble sitting still through it. The movie makes light of peanut allergies, in spite of them being deadly. I watched the film the same day a teen died from a peanut allergy. Many famous character voices: Jonathan Winters, Christina Ricci, Shaq, Jeff Foxworthy, Jimmy Kimmel, J.B. Smoove, and Peewee Herman.

My suggestion is to make this one a rental unless you have money to burn.
on 7 December 2013
Fantastic film loved it in the cinema can't wait to sit and watch it over Xmas with kids so much fun
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
My daughter (age 9), has been nagging me for weeks to purchase this film for her to download to her Kindle Fire and last night I finally succumbed. Living in the depths of the Welsh countryside our Internet connection is pretty slow so this film took a while to download and my daughter rushed upstairs to watch it.

Five minutes later she came downstairs crying her eyes out telling me that her Kindle had 'broke'. Turning her Kindle Fire on everything looked fine to me, after calming her down I managed to ascertain that her Kindle only 'broke' when she tried to play the film. So I pressed play and immediately the screen became a riot of brightly coloured thick stripes complete with high pitched whistle, bemused I showed the image to my husband who immediately recognized it as something akin to the old fashioned 'testcard' that we used to see on our tv's when the television programs had stopped transmitting for the night.

Problem solved and with a quick forward wind the film finally started.

Smurfs 2 is set in Paris where the evil Wizard Gargamel creates a couple of naughty 'Naughties' smurf like creatures that he hope will help him harness the magical Smurf-Essence and this is where the fun begins.

My daughter absolutely loved this film and we didn't hear a peep out of her whilst she was watching it, which considering the film is over 2 hours long must be a bonus. In fact my daughter told me later that she preferred Smurfs 2 to the original Smurf film. Result!
on 1 February 2014
This live-action/CGI animated sequel to the 2011 original sees our little blue creatures reunite with Patrick Winslow (Neil Patrick Harris) and wife Grace (Jayma Mays) who have a son of their own named Blue (Jacob Tremblay) after Smurfette (voiced by Katy Perry) was kidnapped and sent to Paris by the evil wizard Gargamel (Hank Azaria) who wants her to give him the secret formula to turn his new creations known as the "Naughties" named Vexy (voiced by Christina Ricci) and Hackus (voiced by J. B. Smoove) blue so he can take over the world. As it was with the first film, this sequel relies far too much on slapstick comedy and one-liners which is becoming all too common in kids films these days and it lacks some decent scriptwriting and a cohesive enough storyline but it has a few good set-pieces involving a stork ride through Paris and a large ferris wheel and there's some fine talent amongst the live-action and voice over cast including some worthy new additions such as Brendan Gleeson as Patrick's stepfather Victor Doyle and some names in the voices include Jonathan Winters as Papa Smurf and George Lopez, Anton Yelchin, British-born John Oliver, Mario Lopez, Jimmy Kimmel, Shaquille O'Neal and Shaun White to name but a few and as always Azaria makes a convincing Gargamel. Although this film is fun for kids but it may come across as a little disappointing for a majority of adults but it's not all that bad of a film and with a new upcoming all-animated Smurfs reboot entitled 'Get Smurfy' due out in 2017, this franchise currently stands as another one of those family franchise killers that lacks any soul but that may not be such a bad thing for some young fans.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 4 August 2013
I saw it with my two daughters and we all agreed that this film is BETTER than the first one! Below, more of my impressions, with some limited SPOILERS.

In this film there is more humour and more gags than in the first one - and also there is more of Gargamel and Azrael, who both give a great show, even better than in the first film. In fact this film gives more background information and insight in Gargamel's soul and mind than all previous comics and cartoons combined. And in some moments the evil wizard really completely steals the show from the Smurfs.

There are two completely new characters in this film, two Smurf-like creatures created by Gargamel (in the same way he created Smurfette) - Vexy and her simple-minded brother Hackus. I found them really touching, especially Vexy who really sincerely loves and desperately tries to please her "daddy".

But the real star of this film is Smurfette, who, in a moment of depression, will let herself slightly veer to the "dark side" - which is not entirely surprising, considering that as a creation of Gargamel she was REALLY and very literally born to be bad...))) In a series of scenes very deliberately parodying STAR WARS poor Smurfette will be tempted to "give herself to the dark side" and even will receive the extraordinary invitation "come with me and together, we can end this conflict and rule the world - father and daughter!"...))) There will be even some lightsabers involved - well, OK, kind of. However, this being a kids movie, rest assured that the director didn't succumb to George Lucas favourite hand-cutting fetish...

There are also some other delights, like Gargamel and Azrael residing in the most exclusive five-stars hotel in Paris, in "la suite Imperiale" and also the information that Smurf village has now Wi-Fi internet and all Smurfs have their own Facebook pages...))) And let's not forget the "get a shroom" joke...))) But I already said too much - I will not provide more spoilers here. Let's just say that the dialogues are EXCELLENT and the whole film is very, VERY entertaining, both for children and the parents.

I was very favourably surprised by this film and it is definitely better than the first one, with Gargamel, Azrael and Smurfette giving a great show. If they can keep this quality I am all in favour of a third film. Enjoy!
on 9 December 2013
I just adore the smurf films. After the thorough enjoyment of the first film I was extremely eager to see the second instalment, and i was not disappointed. The story line was fantastic and the naughties were just so cute. Had me laughing and giggling all the way through.

Glad I have added this dvd to my collection. Recommended to anyone who likes a light hearted family movie.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 2 October 2014
Smurfs 2 doesn’t offer anything new compared to the first instalment but it keeps up the fun and mild laughs and still offers an entertaining slice family fun.

The Smurfs are always fun to have around and the new adventure they find themselves in offers plenty of opportunity for mishaps and laughs.

Smurfette finds herself in trouble again and ends up back in the human world. A band of other Smurfs including Papa Smurf set out to rescue her and bring her home.

All the smufisms do start to wear thin after a while but the effects are good, the story sweet and always enjoyable. Fun for all the family.
on 3 April 2014
Bought this for my 35 year old son, who I'm sure will enjoy it. He liked the first one. Bought partly as a joke as when young and at cub camp they put his toy smurf up the flag pole and he got upset. Never mind. I replaced it, Sent it to him in Afghanistan with the message, " Here's one for the flag pole". He guessed straight away what was inside the parcel. He'll never live it down. The grandchildren loved this film too.
on 21 September 2015
I saw The Smurfs 2 at the movies and this is my 2nd watch. I just like The Smurfs. But it wouldn't be anything without Gargamell (spelling?).
Was it as good as the original? You didn;t have the plot line where Patrick and his family had to adjust to getting to know the Smurfs but I liked both additions to the family. And to the Smurf family. Probably watch it again. Granddaughters loved it too.
on 26 January 2014